• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I've changed the way Star Army emails you. Basically, our host limits PHP mail() but we get unlimited SMTP mails. So I had to reconfigure the server to send via the SMTP method. It's been tested working and should be good now.

Note: People who were subscribed to get email notifications of replies probably didn't get them if the reply was from 9am to 10:30 am EST this morning due to the email configuration updates. They were a little tricky because of TLS settings.

Other changes: Full message text is now shown in conversation and reply emails. This is possibly temporary but I'm doing it to help us avoid spam filters. Make sure if Star Army emails end up in your junk folder, that you mark them as "not junk" or "not spam!"

Following this fix I'm re-enabling email validation for Star Army accounts, which was disabled because it used to be the case that during high-email-traffic hours, users were not getting their registration emails with the email activation link. So you will need a valid email from this point to join or to remain active.

Still working on automated handling of email bounces - in the future the plan is to deactivate accounts who have emails that don't work (causing the email to be bounced back). This will help fight spammers and keep us from sending email that's unwanted, and keep members from using fake/bad emails.

I'm also trying to apply this to the wiki, so that we can bring back change notification emails of watched pages and namespaces, so you guys can keep track of your wiki content better.

Thanks for your patience with this.

Okay, so apparently the new method of sending email is ALSO hitting a 100/hour quota. I've contacted my webhost with a support ticket to get help with this, as VPS users are supposed to have unlimited SMTP emails.

Unfortunately I already tried emailing everyone about the meeting coming up this week, and if you were one of the 100 that got that email, you'll probably get it again when I get this fixed and re-send it.

Update: Okay, it looks like the quote is on SMTP is actually lower - so basically I had to roll back everything to plain text emails because the PHP mail () doesn't support TLS but almost all of our outgoing email wasn't making it since the change. Very frustrating!

I may look into third-party mailing providers to assist. I'm trying to avoid spending more money though.

How useful do you find the emails? Do we get a lot of feedback/response from them?
Numerically, I have no idea, but apparently a lot of members don't visit their plot RP threads until they get an email from the forum about it. And if we're going to require valid emails to register, it's critical that those registration verification emails actually arrive.

Points taken. Hmmmm. So we have to make our email plain text only? That's not exactly fancy, but it's effective ...

I mean plain text as in it's not encrypted (HTTPS). We still can (and do) send HTML emails.

Ahhh. And it would be better encrypted because we're trying to tie valid emails to registered users?

Is there a way to opt out of getting the e-mails? It gets really annoying to reset the settings every time I reply to a different thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back