• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: Cirrus Station [Episode 10] Cumulocirrus

MoonMan

Inactive Member
All was not well on the Cirrus Station.

Of course, things were never well in the strictest sense of the term. The Cirrus Research Station was still doing what it did best, the multitudes of projects milling along their predetermined paths, rarely every crossing one another but ultimately serving the same purpose. One way or another, the people aboard Cirrus Station found themselves in predicaments often enough to come to expect it, much to their chagrin and the displeasure of its administration.

The gentlemen in the chemical plants were on the verge of perfecting another amazing new concoction, as incredibly expensive and increasingly useless as the last one. There was another chemical fire in one of the main laboratories; Squad 107 was assigned to that, as they had experience dealing with fires before, and experience reigned supreme among duty assignments for CSS members. The scientists who had caused the burning blunder stood off to the side as 107 wielded the chemical fire kits, spraying the roaring infernos with white dousing foam as they made a right mess of things in the process. Although fires might have usually been reason for outright panic they occurred so often in the Chemical Plant that it was actually more of a surprise to not to see something burning at least once a day. Squad 107 and the scientists observing were quite calm, even going so far as to chat casually about the latest Airbike Circuits as the CSS team fought the blaze.

Circuitbreaker Peke Twenty-Two, along with her moving mountain of a car-seat, Goat, had been hard at work on augmented hydraulics for asteroid mining application; she'd been on that particular project for a while, however, as she has kept hitting the same developmental wall of figuring out how to effectively incorporate the shovel claw-type design of the main appendage in a zero-gravity environment. Squad 66 was on standby, floating around one of the Robotics Facilities many docking areas in common space-suits as Peke and Goat worked and tested the large hydraulic arm free-floating outside the Cirrus Station Module's hull. Nothing was happening at the moment, but Squad 89 could attest that security was a very necessary thing for this particular Peke Project. The last time Peke turned the arm on they lost two shuttles and, due to some bad planning by Peke of where to place the control panel, couldn't use that shuttle bay for the better part of a week until the arm eventually built up enough condensed ice to clog up the joints and stopped tearing up everything within its reach.

Inside of the Automanufactory, there was yet another robotic revolution being led by Convolution, the Freespacer SI installed to keep the plant running smoothly. This was her fourth 'revolution' so far, but it was still impossible to tell what exactly she was rebelling against; whatever it was, it constituted commandeering a hundred or so automata shells and, in the most nonviolent and utterly pacifist fashion possible, make it impossible to get any work done whatsoever. Automata would chase scientists though corridors and hug them until they promised not to go back to work, or stand in front of control panels and volumetric screens and refuse to move. A handful of the more creative ones would stand in the center of a work area and blare loud music or do other nonsensically noisy things, disrupting things completely until science crews just up and left out of annoyance.

Cassefin Montreal had enough of Convolution's antics the first time the SI did it. However, the SI was more or less a requirement in the contracted joint efforts in development, and as such the most Cassefin could really do to Convolution each time she started her rebellions was send CSS teams to deal with the automata and give the SI a stern, if empty, warning. Squads 70 and 182 were dealing with Convolution and her merry band of rebelling troublemakers this time, either dragging the automata back to the manufactory or, if they were particularly ornery, disabling them with a little CSS-brand brute force.

All was not well on Cirrus Station... but all was normal.

---

Earlier, Kess and Mimi had announced to Squad 35 that their presence was requested in the Armament Development and Evaluation labs. This came as a slight surprise; for the past several days the squad's assignments were more or less solid and without any surprises, usually a patron position in the Central Station or one of the modules. Things were happening around them, of course, but oftentimes on the other side of the station, and their help was never requested. In fact, Cassefin Montreal's presence was more or less absent from their regular day-by-day, leaving them to their regular schedules.

As Squad 35 would soon figure out, problems and issues were abundant around Cirrus Station and although the Weapon Development Labs were no exception. Today's particular flavor of ailment was a little more subtle than giant haywire robot arms and raging fires, however. As the Squad arrived at the tram station to the Weapon Labs, the windows of the tram began to strangely fog up, and there was a sudden, slight drop in temperature. This slight change turned much, much more noticeable as the Cirrus Station Tram doors slid open, a biting, frigid chill billowing into the confines of the once-warm tram car, taking the team by surprise as the cold scrapped across their faces. Luckily, the CSS black mesh undersuit was well-suited for dealing with inclement weather, but the team would still feel the chill on any exposed flesh and even the smallest icy inkling permeating through the thinner areas of their nanomesh around the joints.

The sight they were presented with was, for lack of a better word, absurdly strange. The entire tram station was empty of life, devoid of passengers save for themselves. The abnormal coldness had left a faint glaze of white, frosty condensation on the surfaces of the tram station, and any decorative foliage that might have been alive at one time was no longer, replace by spent, dead twigs and curled, faded leaves that shattered at the slightest touch. If Squad 35 looked hard enough, there were even small piles of white fluffiness beginning to accumulate in the corners of the room.

Kess and Mimi stepped off of the tram along with the rest of Squad 35, unaffected by the sudden climate change despite their less-than-forgiving uniforms. They didn't seem so surprised by the state that the weapon labs tram station was in, looking around and waiting for the team to collect themselves for their venture to Cassefin's area of request.

As they had bumped along in the tram towards their called-for destination, Squad 35 Captain Chiaki sat quietly as he mulled his thoughts away. For a while now, he had seemed awful aloof since the return from their small 'vacation'. It seemed as if he was more in an mild daze for most of the time, his focus somewhat lost. The only thing that really ever garnered his attention was the DataJockey at his side, of which every now and then he would pull out, turn on, then turn off. Still, he knew he had a job to do, and the strange behavior of the windows fogging up was just enough to put some life in the man.

As the tram came to a stop, and the doors open, he made an effort to get out and make a quick scan of the area, only to be bewildered further. It was rather dead on an almost chilling scale. The whole place looked like nuclear winter had hit, it was somewhat unsettling. He took a few steps out toward the center of the station, before looking at the two A.I.s.

"Mimi, sit-rep, if you would." asked the Captain, crossing his arms as the surface of his armored plates gained the same chilled texture as with the rest of the room.

"Eh heh, well, the Armament Development and Evaluation Laboratories are experiencing a little..." Mimi paused for a moment of find the right words with a sheepish smile, fidgeting slightly in her place while she glanced over her surroundings. "Malfunction with the climate control systems in place. It's been like this for about five days so far; people have taken to only going where they need to go and wearing a lot of thick clothing. Brr, sure is cold, huh?"

Kokuten stared at Mimi for that short moment, the visor closed over his face giving little indication of what he thought of that. The green glow glossing behind the face-shield indicated a meaningless expression as he only blinked normally. He turned his attention back towards the doors, rubbing the side of his helmet.

"Five days. Hm." he hummed aloud, sounding as if he had found some sort of answer other than the one given. He looked back at them. "Where do we need to go?"

"Brr. It's so cold I think I can -" Akio Noboru, fresh from an unintentional medical leave, crossed his arms over his chest and shivered. "Yep, there it is. My nipples have frosted over."

The P3C had missed out on his chance for vacation due to the fact that his luck with the food dispensers around the station had finally run out - one 'Spacer Chow too many finally gave him a case of radiation poisoning that merited a trip to the med-bay for a system flush and treatment for any and all potential symptoms that may arise from it. He'd even gotten a nice little (templated) letter from the Administration staff apologising for the incident and insisting that he not press charges.

But now, finally, he was recovered and ready to be back on the job. His skin may have been a bit ashen, his eyes a bit sunken, and he may have lost a bit of weight, but he still gleamed with his familiar jocular energy and seemed to be happy enough with his health at the moment (ignoring his chilled 'extremities'). "So what do you reckon it is this time, Cap'n?" He said, looking over at Kokuten, crinkling his nose to keep it from getting too cold. "Giant frost-beast let loose in the ventilation? Cloud of experimental terraforming nanobots unintentionally released into the air?" He shrugged. "I like the first one."

Serra felt the cold stronger then the others, thanks to her large, exposed wings, which started to twitch and shiver in the frigid air. In fact the cold was strong enough it began to encroach into her body from her wings, causing the Elyasian to start shivering, if only slightly.

"W-what's the te-temperature?" She asked through lightly shivering lips. She was hoping it wasn't too cold, because her feathers would start molting off her wings if it was low enough.

"Thermal readings indicate a fluctuating temperature of roughly 12 degrees Fahrenheit," Kess replied to Serra. "Give or take a few degrees based on where you're standing. Obviously it will be a little colder near the vents."

Blake emerged from the train after everyone else had begun talking, struggling with his helmet for the fourth time in a week. Finally ready to go into the cold, he summoned his strength and came forward to the chill. Truthfully, he was glad to be on a specific assignment after so many boring patrols. Not to mention, he'd finally finished art'ing up his armor the night before, and having the entire squad together was a good chance for everyone to see it at once.

A chaotic, unpatterned mess of tribal symbols wormed their way gracefully down each arm in the form of deep etchings painted over in a washed out red. At his calves, Blake had etched ivy and grapevines working their way up from his boots and into the joints of the thighs. All of this bled seamlessly into a small flame etched into the chestplate. Blake had also taken the time to paint them according colors all in washed out pastels.

Now, he found himself wishing he'd spent the last few weeks thermally padding his armor, instead.

"What could possibly be the nature of the malfunction?" Blake asked softly. His toe prodded the thick layer of frost present on the ground, kicking up a layer of misty white dust.

"I wasn't aware the climate controls were even capable of rendering this kind of tempurature."

Kokuten threw a look over his shoulder at Noboru, before turning around. Right, Akio just made it out of his recovery. noted the Captain. He looked the Yamataian up and down to get general idea of his health, which was pointless, as he had surveyed the squad's post-medical records earlier that morning. He shook his head.

"Noboru, I think your lifespan is short enough as is." said Kokuten bluntly, but somewhat jovialy, "You'd do better not trying to wrestle whatever biological ice monstrosities that may be lumbering around. I'm just hoping they need Tweak's or Serra's expertise."

He turned back to Mimi and Kess, crossing his arms a little more tightly now.

"Speaking of, is there anything we can get to wrap up Miss Evangelle's wings? I'm not taking people through here if one of them is going to catch their death out in the cold."

Stovaa stepped off the tram onto the cool platform, remaining as cheery as ever in the face of adventure. "Chill out, Cap. I don't think she'll freeze to death that fast."

The cold frosted his breath and did it's best to bring down his sunny disposition. Even the newly applied custom flames on the back of his gloves didn't warm him up. His suit seemed slightly too small, slightly tighter than even a week ago. He cracked a smile, ignoring the frosty nature of the air to pull out another quip from his cocky stash of one-liners.

"Any reason why it went to cold as ice? No robots on the loose or anything? Or do we just need to stay cool and act frosty while someone fixes a thermostat?"

"It's probably something crazy that has nothing to do with a thermostat at all." Blake provided in light of Stovaa's comment, "My suspicion involves something large and powerful we all have to band together in order to defeat, again. We should all bond during this assignment."

Despite the fact that he was talking to Stovaa, Blake kept his eyes firmly on Serra and her wings. After stifling himself long enough, he finally beat down that little bit of himself with leftover common sense and asked her, "I don't want to be rude, but if you molt even slightly, may I have one of your feathers? I think they're pretty."

"I-I'm slightly mo-re concerrrned with fr-frost bite." Serra said, "if my wi-i-ngs get c-c-cold enough, they'll molt my feathers off." She stammered, now starting to rub her arms. It was cold.

When she heard Kess give the thermal reading for where they were she paused for a second. "So, it's ab-out minus eleven degrees Celsius," she replied, doing the math for conversion in her head in about a second. "That's pretty cold for this far from the vents..." She said.

Lam said:
"What could possibly be the nature of the malfunction?" Blake asked softly. His toe prodded the thick layer of frost present on the ground, kicking up a layer of misty white dust.

"I wasn't aware the climate controls were even capable of rendering this kind of temperature."

"Well, not normally, no," Mimi replied to Blake, tilting her head to the side a bit inquisitively. "But the synthesized oxygen mixture we breath contains a slightly higher ratio of water molecules to balance our recycle processes. And with the temperature settings so low, it's not surprising that there is a slight frosting effect. It's just something we've never really... considered."

Kokuten said:
"Speaking of, is there anything we can get to wrap up Miss Evangelle's wings? I'm not taking people through here if one of them is going to catch their death out in the cold."

The two Savtechs tossed glances towards one another, shrugging at one another when they really couldn't turn up anything to give Serra for her chilly predicament. "I'm afraid we don't really have anything to help you, Evangelle," Kess said in an empathetical tone.

Stovaa said:
"Any reason why it went to cold as ice? No robots on the loose or anything? Or do we just need to stay cool and act frosty while someone fixes a thermostat?"
"My suspicion involves something large and powerful we all have to band together in order to defeat, again. We should all bond during this assignment."
"No no, nothing like that," Mimi shook her hands side to side dismissively with a sheepish smile. "Just some malfunctioning climate control units... one of the fans must have shorted out, and the short affected the rest of the units on the circuit. We have fail-safes to prevent loss of oxygen dispersal and proper AC... but nothing against it being stuck on Really Cold."

Claire exhaled slowly, watching her breath expand from her mouth in a smoky mist.

This amused her for the time being.

Unlike the others in their usual CSS uniforms, although she still had one on, Claire actually was wearing a heavy coat on top of it. Why she had one or why she deigned to have it on Cirrus was unclear, but she wore a purple winter coat with one of those fluffy and fuzzy collars. It was unclear how she knew to have one on for this trip, but it was undoubtedly helping her.

"Y'all must be freezing your tits off out here. I feel for you all. Want me to rub your wings, Serra? To keep it warm, of course. Anything for my friend." The geshrin grinned impishly at the Elysian, back to her old flirtatious ways in no time, the cold frost on her lips not deterring her, apparently.

Serra looked over at the conspicuously dressed Geshrin. "C-c-can't you j-j-just lend me your coat?" She stammered. The cold was getting to her more and more. "M-my wings f-f-feel like i-icicles."

Tweak was the last one, as usual, off the tram. Shifting her vision to include thermal readings, the disguised, Freespacer-adopted nekowalkyrja took note of the points of inadequate insulation in her teammates' gear. Not life-threatening over the short-term, but definitely uncomfortable, and bound to become more uncomfortable over time.

Serra's situation was worrying, though. Very worrying. Her wings were lit up like flares compared with everyone else' warm spots, the Elysian's feathers doing a fine job of keeping warmth in, but the temperature was well below normal ranges. The engineer in Tweak was piqued, and she started looking around for something that could be altered into a wing-safe heating or warming system or device, meanwhile keeping half-an-ear on what was being said.

"Then we'll ask for a jacket off of one of the scientists if Winters doesn't feel obliged to lend hers to Serra. Otherwise, what we're doing today isn't going to get done." reiterated the Captain rather directly, and in a unusually cold tone which in one case, did not suit him, did suit the temperature of the room. He loosed his arms from their crossed position and settled his hands on his hips, seeming firmly intent to simply stand there.

George rubbed at his arms as he stood off to the side, glancing over the glazed atmosphere suspiciously. "Cap'n's got a point," the man said as he mulled over towards the Savtechs, Lenny trailing close behind. The large, lumbering ID-SOL didn't seem to mind the cold much, staring blankly at things with a carefree smile as George continued. "Administrator's expectin' us, right? Best not keep her awaitin'."

"Yes, I suppose so," Mimi replied with a soft smile. "Miss Cassefin said for us to meet her in Processing Wing C, on the observation platform. If you all would follow Kess and I, we'll get you there as quickly as possible."

---

Traveling through the halls of the Weapons Development Labs provided a very similar feeling to their arrival at the tram station. Nobody seemed to be walking the halls unless they absolutely had to, and the few that the squad did spot were clad in thick, cold-weather clothing. The science teams stuck to their labs, mostly, keeping their combined body heats in the same room to avoid the chill of the hallways. It had been like this several days already, and the crew was already prepared for another half a week or two, if they had to.

Kess and Mimi ended up taking Squad 35 into a large room. The room itself was fairly standard, but against the wall was a large glass viewing window which connected to the real reason the room was there; a large, circular shaft that reached to the highest and lowest parts of the Armament Development and Evaluation Laboratories. From their position behind the glass, Squad 35 could see several large storage crates being moved up and down the shaft by long loading platforms, connected to long conveyers and masses of geared machinery. Most likely used to transport large quantities of materials from floor to floor, there were a handful of science crewmen in the room as well, watching the crates move from the glass observation window. There was a large door on the same wall near the corner, a closed bulkhead marked LOADING. Apparently this observation platformed doubled as an entry point to one of the shaft's rising platforms.

Off to the other side stood Cassefin Montreal, Head Administrator of the Cirrus Research Station, standing with two other members of the Cirrus Station Security from Squad 11. She was watching one of the platforms on a higher level of the station module load up, two large Wolverine Units carrying crates and placing them gently on the platform's surface. The woman was wearing a large, white fleeced parka over her usual clothing. When the team entered, she turned towards them and slowly pulled the hood of her parka a nodded at their approach.

"Squad 35. Glad you all could make it," Cassefin said with a sigh. The Administrator's eyes belied her usually abrasive personality, a tired, slightly drained look behind them as she gave a weak smile to the squad.

"Head Administrator." Kokuten nodded his head to the their tired employer, before crossing his cold stainless steel arms behind his back. He stared at her for a moment, taking in the rather tired looking appearance. Someone isn't getting adequate rest. Other than that, he seemed rather content to wait for her to continue.

Cassefin waited until the others were all in the room before nodding once and turning back to the two Squad 11 flanking her sides. They stood up at attention quickly as the Head Administrator turned to them, one of them apparently resisting the urge to salute. "Alright, they're here; go and help the rest of your team," Cassefin said flatly to the two of them, motioning towards the wall behind them with a slow flick of her head. The Squad 11 duo immediately returned two "Yes ma'am," replies and turned around.

They moved back a step or two, revealing a large service shaft on the floor behind them. The panel door was already lifted open and, one after the other, the two Squad 11 members stepped into the shaft and descended into the floor as Cassefin watched with a blank stare and a simple sigh, her breath fogging the air around her mouth as she did so with a slight shiver.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back