• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Gaming Favorite Tabletop systems?

World of Darkness is the best by my book. Though I only recently discovered it and was pissed to hear CCP abandoned WoD Online for even more focus on EVE.
3.5 has my most experience though. I play a lot of 3.5 and I use to "Homebrew" a lot of content for it, along with some Pathfinder. I submitted such homebrewing to the site Giant in the Playground, which has a large homebrewing community. I had a measure of notoriety and won a homebrewing contest there, and developed the original tablemaking guide and created presets people could use- unfortunate that they updated and it is now entirely obsolete. I haven't even updated my old homebrewing to match the new table code.

I also love "Mekton Zeta" and Mutants&Masterminds.

3.5 is probably the most widely used system (and I, personally, still massively prefer it to Pathfinder, or any of the other systems, just for the sheer flexibility), but WoD is definitely up there too. Probably one of the bigger non-D&D based systems, to say the least. Mekton never did it for me though.

I'm still involved with a few really long-lived dnd 3.5 campaigns online... But honestly, I personally hate the system, and only do so because it's so prolific and I like a lot of the people that I RP with. The way the entire thing is just a massive rules memory exam, with really boring non-dramatic hitpoint stuff, just makes me annoyed whenever combat comes about.

Used to play a lot of 40k back in the golden days, too, including necromunda/gorkamorka/battlefleet gothic. A bit of Cyberpunk 2020 on the side.

Everything is online now, through.

RPGs Ill have to say D&D, its what got me into videogaming and overall nerdom in the first place Baldurs Gate For Life!!! Actually just bought every game in the series in an Origin Sale need to get a character though all of the games or at least start...

But I mostly stick to Warhammer 40,000 tabletop wise and I've picked up Warmachine recently too. Both have pretty good systems IMO though Warmachine is a bit simpler, or at least more streamlined. Still love throwing handfuls of dice at people though.

3.5 is by far the system I'm most familiar with, and it can do most anything you want it to, if you have the patience for. That said, however, it's pretty tedious to manage, I'll admit, and there is a LOT of number-crunching that slows things down. With the integration of online tools and VTT software, however, a lot of that can be done automatically, which helps in my opinion.

I'm somewhat familiar with GURPS as well, which I really like so far. It's extremely flexible and doesn't rely on as many rules and exceptions to those rules as 3.5 and the English language does.

This is a pretty cool thread, personally I love Pathfinder and NWOD. I am though trying for the first time Burning Wheel which I'm told is verp RP and character development heavy so it at least sounds promising. The only problem I've found so far is that the book is really poorly organized and I constantly find myself flitting through pages to try and track something down.

As for systems I'm acquainted with 4e though I'm not proud of it and will never ever play again, Savage Worlds and Dark Heresy. I have heard some pretty good things about 5e since its release as apparently they've squashed a lot of the horrid ideas they had from the earlier play test.

Hmm, that's a tough question to answer as I've found that its the people that influence how much I enjoy roleplaying more than the system/setting used. Still, I do have some favourites:

D&D, 3.5e
Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion
Exalted, 2e
GURPS, 4e
Shadowrun, 4e
Traveller, Mongoose Publishing version
World of Darkness, Old (Especially Mage: The Ascension and Werewolf: The Apocalypse)

RPG-D RPGfix
Back