Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Getting Spaceworthy

Kirio nodded, the buttons that he thought were weapons must have some other use. He studied the route, which wound its way around Neplesia and then out into space, where it encountered a binary star system. That will be interesting, Ive never encountered one before but I think I know what to do.

Kirio made the final launch preperations meticulously. He looked back at Luicen and said with a smile on his face, "You're gonna have to cover my ass, you ready?"

Luicen gave a nod to Kirio and put his hands down on the controls, ready to fire.
"Aye lad, I'm ready tae cover yer ass, regardless of that pub-brawl." Said the Highlander to Kirio, "Now let's see some flyin' and shootin'!"

Terry remoted the comm console for a moment, using his captain's authority to send a signal into deep space, and gave the launch order. "You have the coordinates and I'll let you play with some dumb targets first to get familiar with the operation of the equipment.
"Remember though that just because the targets will be using communication lasers doesn't mean that you can get careless. ANUBIS is standing by to shut down systems and alter the performance of the Osiris."

"Of course," he added with a bemused smile, "if you can't even get us off the ground..."

As Kirio heard these words, he smiled. now the fun begins.

He opened the great doors of the huge warehouse that the ship rested in and with a flourish, he got the engines powered up, pulled the throttle and they were airborn. Within a few minutes, they were in Neplesia's orbit. "This ship is a little different than the ones I have piloted before, it seems a lot more responsive, and perhaps more nimble too, although I haven't really tried anything yet."

((OOC:where are we going anyways? do you have a route planned?))

"We're not going far. An old space monitoring station. Just follow the flight plan and you'll be okay."

Terry frowned a bit, he'd have to check the gravity engines later. They made the ship lighter, true, but it should not respond like a smaller craft. Releasing the safeties on the weapons he gave the green for them to be warmed up, hoping that the alignment sensors were calibrated properly.

Luicen's console began to spring to life and he took the controls accordingly, "Heh, this must be thunder I got under me hands," Luicen commented as he warmed up the weapons, "Now gimme a target, 'n I'll shoot it down!"

Kirio adjusted the course of the ship slightly as to keep on line with the route. Everything went according to his plan until he first cought sight of the monitoring station. That was when the first simulated enemy appeared.

Luicen saw the enemy peer up on his screen.
"He ain't gettin' away!" Luicen said as he aimed and pushed the button to fire the fake laser at the enemy, hitting it in the middle.
The target blew up after a shortly delayed blast in a ball of orange flame and debri.
Luicen had a satisfying grin on his face as he looked for another target to shoot at.

Of course if they were expecting things to blow up in spectacular fireballs or the enemies to be just screen images they were dead wrong; although for the moment they were just stationary targets they were still "armed" and the computer recorded several pings from "fighter-grade weaponry, shields intact, no damage to hull," but it was still a sign that there would be a bit to work on.

"Shape it up, focus less on hotdogging and more on getting rid of them as quickly as possible. Save the heavy guns for the bigger targets and use your auxiliaries for the small targets. Got me?"
He was the captain after all.

Kirio smiled as the first round of enemies was destroyed. Luicen did pretty well, assuming this was his first try at this, of course.

He gave the engines a little more juice, and sped towards the station. The station he was flying towards was a large derelect structure that seemed to have been destroyed many years ago, but no one seemed to have cared enough to get rid of it. The station was large enough to house large military ships far bigger than the Osiris. The hangar seemed to have been blasted open and a couple of the drones hovered in the opening. Their fighter-class weapons blazed, and Kirio had to take the ship into some evasive maneuvers. He shoved the ship to the side, avoiding the shots.

Responding admirably the Osiris sideslipped as the control inputs dictated, and the engines cut the burn when the ship had reached an adequate velocity. Still not at full speed of course but moving at a fair clip for a vessel its size.

The mechanical tones of ANUBIS announced a missile lock, causing Terry to look perplexed and demand a recalculation. "There's not supposed to be any missiles here. Check it again. Maybe it's a sensor ghost!"

ANUBIS responded in the negative, announcing a missile had been launched. Terry quickly powered on the shields and overrode the manual targeting for the auxiliary guns. "New orders: we're going to track down and destroy whatever it is trying to shoot us down. Is that understood? This is no longer a training mission."

Luicen heard the orders loud and clear, "Sure thing, Sir!" came his response as he manned his guns, ready to fire.
"Kirio, tell me if ye see whoever's shootin' at us, I'll give 'em returns!"

Kirio could not see whoever fired the missle at them, and quickly told Luicen so. He could, however, see the missile. he sped towards the area where the radar indicated that it was fired from while giving Luicen a good line of sight to shoot it down.

"Do you think they know who they are firing at?" He asked Terry.

"Whoever it is I don't think they care. It would have to happen while the rest of the crew is on leave." He called up the timer and then braced for impact just in case the point-defense cannons didn't get the missile in time. He started to plot numbers in his head, course corrections and nth-dimensional mathematics, checking his numbers against the navigational computer. He wouldn't walk into an ambush twice; if he found himself outgunned he was going to run instead of fight.

"Kirio, be ready to come about to 140 mark 008 at my signal. If we're outgunned I'm not going to chance fighting. I've got an FTL course plotted for a quick exit; if you decide to leave after that I won't blame you. Just so you know I was planning on going to Valaad to pick up the rest of my crew tomorrow."

Kirio mentally relaxed. Thank the powers that be this guy isn't reckless! He was ready to come about at any moment.

"I don't think I will be leaving, this is too exciting, and I am have been in need of some lately! Don't worry about me, I'll st--" Kirio stopped talking and stared at the radar, there was another missile lock warning flashing. "Shit! and we haven't even shot down the first one yet! These guys are determined!"

((OOC: sorry bout the delay, christmas at grandparents.))

Luicen saw the missile heading towards them on his radar.
That's when he armed the Rapid-Attack cannon and fired at one of the missles, hitting it and preventing it from even getting close to the ship. The guns then swerved to the other missile and opened fire, destroying that one too.
"I've got your back, lad!" Luicen told Kirio, "As long as you got a gunner, you got a ship!"

"Lucien. Port-side battery, two shots towards the origin of the missiles. Kirio, once the volley is away roll the ship and bring the starboard battery to bear for a second salvo. Then come to the course correction and stand by for FTL jump."

Terry wasn't interested in finding out who was shooting, but he was sending a message to the Nepleslian Star Forces marking the station as harboring dangerous alien elements which while probably not true would ensure they devoted at least two ships to blasting the derelict into spacedust.

Luicen got back to the console and fired a Battery shot portside into a spot on his radar where one of the missiles originated. He prepared to fire another shot into the other origin of a missle.
"Kirio, give me a roll and I'll take out the other!"

Kirio rolled the ship, giving the starboard battery a chance to shoot. The roll was well timed, probably on account of the ship. He had never flown something so responsive and smooth! Kirio then keyed up the jump sequence, allowing for just enough time for Luicen's shot.

"Alright Luicen, give 'em your best!"

RPG-D RPGfix
Back