• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Getting Spaceworthy

With a nod and a pushed button, a battery shot from the starboard side fired into the other area where a missile had originated, sending it up with a bang.
Luicen simply gave a thumbs up to Kirio, "Let's go down to tha pub when we're done, right lad?"

As the ship swung around to the assigned vector under Lucien's direction, Terry triggered the FTL drive. The gravity engines in the rear of the ship hummed, and for a microsecond Osiris and all aboard existed inside a black hole. Then the stars first blueshifted, then vanished as their visible light was compressed into the ultraviolet range by the sudden acceleration. In just about a day they'd reach Valaad, and from there they would head out to the frontlines to "supply" ships there.

Even though he had never been given official sanction by the military and the Osiris and her crew would likely be fending for themselves if they found trouble. Whatever powers might be out there, they knew just how badly Terry would love to equip the good ship Osiris with a fold drive but for now the as-yet unspecified and unnamed method of FTL transition would suffice.

"Gentlemen. Good work. If you have anything that you left behind and think you may require, a courier will retrieve it and intercept us on our next course change. Otherwise, welcome to the Osiris."

Kirio smiled. Finally, he was able to relax, the danger was over.

"Hey, Luicen, good job! By the way, do you have any booze? I think some beer would be warrented right about now. You know, as congratulations. Terry, you too."

"Ach, I have no booze on me now, but we can get some with ease, lad!" Replied the Highlander to Kirio with a hint of shame, "We'll just pop into a pub and let the rest tell itself!"

"The autopilot will take over, let us know when we're close to our destination; in the meantime explore the ship--it's somewhat empty right now but that'll soon be remedied."

Kirio motioned to Luicen to follow him and explore the ship. To Terry, he asked, "Do you by any chance have a map or something else that would help us find our way around this ship?"

Terry shook his head, there wasn't a map, but there were consoles spaced at regular intervals to interface with ANUBIS. "Use those panels, just say where you want to go and there's a strip on the floor that will light up for you to follow. If the place you want is on the ship that is."

Kirio nodded to terry and walked along the lit corridor, trying to find the corridor that would lead to his room. After all of the excitement, Kirio was tired. He made his way along the hallway that lead from the bridge, which turned into 3 other halls, one of which was lit with a red glow on the floor. Kirio followed this line until he reached his room, where he found his things near the bed. The room was small, althought bigger than the rooms he had been forced to use aboard smaller craft. He then locked the door and then dropped onto the bed, and went to sleep.

Luicen stood up and began to follow Kirio with his suitcase. However, he decided to put a little more of a spring in his step by tumbling past Kirio and Terry while sliding the suitcase along the floor with a well placed kick.
His head was just scraping the ceiling with every somersault he took.
"I think I'll have a rest too. I've had enough fun for one day, g'night fer now, Kirio and Terry!"

With that, Luicen stopped his tumbling and picked up his suitcase and made his way down the corridors of the Osiris and made found his room where he could get some rest.

Exactly on time the computer chimed to wake the trio of occupants from their slumber, Terry alone in the officers' quarters, and Lucien and Kirio in the crew cabin. The chime was insistently loud and pervasive, accompanied by a countdown. One hour until reversion to sublight.

Kirio streached and yawned; he had gotten quite a good rest and was energized for what the next day would bring. He got out of bed and strapped on all of his necissary equipment. After finishing his preperations, Kirio made his way to the bridge and sat back down. He would be ready for the transition to sublight.

Three, two...then the sublight engines cut in as the slipspace dissolved back into realspace. They burned just long enough to cut the Osiris' speed to something close to a leisurely 20,000 kilometers per hour, and then the controls were unlocked to allow the ship to be guided manually to a landing pad. There were hundreds of beacons coming from various cities dotting the relatively habitable northern hemisphere.

From space, Valaad looked a lot like a dirt ball--a few clouds scudded across the surface, a small ocean providing the sole source of moisture. The rest was either atmospheric or subterranean. One beacon lit up the nav station: a private landing pad.

Kirio saw the beacon and got ready for an entry into the atmosphere and landing. The descent through the atmosphere was reletively uneventful, and they soon could see the landing pad, brightly lit by spotlights. He maneuvered the Osiris into place and genly touched it down onto the pad. He sighed and wondered what the rest of the crew would be like.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back