• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Approved Character Gran Keats

Davis

Inactive Member
Name: Gran Keats

General Information

Species: Nepleslian

Family / Creators:
John Keats (Father)
Elizabeth Keats (Mother, Greshin)
Kurt (Brother)
Cody(Brother)
Shawn(Brother)
Bryan(Brother)

Employer: Star Army of Nepleslia
Current Assignment: Star Base Ayenee

Physical Characteristics

Height: 6' Even
Weight: 180 lbs.
Measurements:
Bra Size:

Build and Skin Colour: Semi-muscular build with rather tan skin.
Facial Features and Eye Colour: Brown
Hair Colour and Style: Brown hair, naturally curly, kept relatively short. No facial hair.

Distinguishing Features: Great smile.

Psychological Characteristics

Personality:
Gran loves to be around people, even though he doesn't like the attention to be focused on him. Gran tries to stay quiet as much as possible. Gran knows he has nothing to hide but he has grown into the habit of keeping to himself, having lived with so many brothers for so long.

Gran enjoys listening to other people's stories, as long as those people aren't in the business of self-gratification. He has a hard time keeping his mouth shut when someone is continuously going on and on about how great they are, especially when the story is exaggerated, or if it's at other people's expense, even more so when it is people Gran knows.

Gran tries to stay as casual as possible, preferring to dress in cargo pants and loose shirts. He also tries to keep himself basically presentable, hair trimmed, nails clipped, face shaven, but sometimes lets his hair grow long and bushy.

Gran certainly feels an attachment to the machines that he works on. He takes splendid care of whatever is placed under his supervision. He also guards his possessions quite strongly, afraid anyone but himself might break something. He loves tasks other would consider mundane, he has no problem sitting in one place for hours working on problems that others have long given up on.

Gran has always loved his parents unconditionally and gives them credit for all of his achievements throughout life. He often thinks about them and does everything he can to impress them, even though he knows they could never be disappointed in him.

Dislikes: Know-it-alls, sleeping in, people disobeying authority
Goals: Gran wants to become well know by people far and wide and to be remembered even after his death.

History

Gran was the second son of a Middle class family on Nepleslia, he was followed by three other brothers at about three year intervals. His father worked at an odd-jobs repair company and his mother spent all her time making sure the house stayed together. Gran's early life was spent mostly on school. He put a lot of effort into his early schooling, trying to make his parents proud. Gran tried to stay out of the crime business as much as possible, due to his mother's request.

In his spare time, he would often try to help, or at least watch, his father when he was repairing or tuning machines of all kind, from vehicles to implants. He would constantly pressure his father to teach him how to fix things. For Gran's 12th birthday, his father gave his an old, broken motorbike, so the he could learn to fix it. Gran learned a lot from his father and has retained all the information he learned very well.

Gran ended up spending a lot of time just traveling around town on his bike, when he fixed it of course. He would often run across the military types, they always seemed so respectable and magnificent to him. He tried talking to them about their exploits into battle, but they were often very busy and didn't have time to share. Gran began to feel unimportant, like he wasn't contributing anything to society. He decided to join the army, hoping that he would be able to do something important, or at least entertaining.

Skills

Fighting: Gran studied Aikido while he was young, and followed it for a reasonable time, learning much about using an opponent's momentum and movement against them. Gran also gained flexibility from this martial art. Gran also learned much about projectile weapons from his early military training. Gran has trained to handle most standard issue weapons. He prefers long range weapons where applicable.

Physical: Gran's military training has kept his body reasonably toned. His aikido keeps his body limber.

Survival: Gran's military training has taught him how to survive for reasonable amounts of time in wilderness conditions. He knows which plants are safe to eat and can construct a fire from gathered materials. He has had little skill and hunting and doesn't mind eating gathered foliage.

Communication: Gran has been trained how to receive, respond to and send messages on his armor suit's comm. He has also studied basic cryptography along with encryption.

Armor Pilot: Gran has been militarily trained in piloting armor suits. He has learned squad importance and maneuvers along with space drop procedures. He has also trained in basic weapons use and battlefield tactics.

Engineering: Gran has learned the concepts that drive most basic machines. He loves to tinker with things, always trying to squeeze that last ounce of power out an engine, or amplify a radio's signal, even if only for a few feet. Gran has spent much time studying his power armor, learning how to tweak many functions from basic movement limitations to more advanced functions, such as IFF recognition speeds. He considers himself to be quite adept in almost everything mechanical, but he would never brag about it.

Maintenance and Repair: Gran's early childhood has provided him with a good background for most repairs to common components (basic electronics, motors) and more specific components (vehicle drive trains, computer circuits). His experience is mostly limited to domestic applications, mostly vehicles, and power armor. He is constantly tying to improve his range of skill, trying to broaden his knowledge to cover every problem that could possibly come up.

OOC Notes

Chop it up! Make me better. This is my first go at this sort of thing, so I'm sure it's pretty rough around the edges. I ran it through a spell/grammar check, but I might have missed some things.

Revisions, round one:
Removed cybernetic arm
History, pretty extensive changes
Skills, specific description made, I tried to focus on his love of mechanics

Revisions, round two:
Change occupation to Technical Sentry
Added more gearhead description to his personality
Expanded a little on his Engineering and Maintenance/Repair Skills.

I like it a lot, but I'd like to see you flesh out Gran's personality a bit more. What's his philosophical following? Does he approve of religion? Is he involved in politics? etc.

Also, take into mind that being so large would probably disallow him from using the Kylie. He'd probably use a Phalanx anyway, though.

Demolitions aren't really needed - You should probably replace it with engineering so that Gran can modify and customize his armor. That'd be a lot more useful, I think. Fighting and Physical are two different skills, and "strategy" isn't a skill. Please look in the CCG, right here, for the skills.

I'm not too sure about the whole cyborg thing, I've never played a Nelplesian. If it's allowed in first character creation, then it's fine, but if not, I'm sure somebody else will notify you.

What he thinks of religion and politics aren't necessary for the bio ... the personality looks reasonably fleshed out. But more is usually better.

As he'd be in the SAoN, there's no need to worry about the Kylie. He'd use a Phalanx.

Chigusa makes a good point about your skills -- you seem to be making him into quite a super soldier. Tom will make the ultimate ruling, as he's Grand Poobah of Nepleslia (aka Metal GM), but you should probably tone down either your combat or your combat support skills and focus on one. Or, you can tone them both down so he's more of a general jack-of-all-trades sort of guy, but not particularly good at anything.

Cybernetics would be okay for a middle-class family, as long as they're not complex or over powered (aka maybe a replacement arm that's just an arm).

Oh haha, sorry about the skills thing. I had, for the most part just copy/pasted the descriptions from the skills index, I'll make them more specific, and less super. Yah, I should have put the engineering in, hindsight is 20/20 eh?

And should I spilt the fighting into different catagories?
As in having one skill be fighting with guns and one be fighting with armor.

Thanks for the suggestions, updates on the way.

I like this character a lot. I'm just wondering if he'd be able to refit into the role of technical sentry (engineer)?

We REALLY need one of those on the Alliance and your bio makes the character look more like a perfect gearhead rather than the standard armor pilot.

Of course, you don't have to change it for that if you want.

I do like this character.

The personality is refreshing, and the history is refreshingly ... simple. That's no bad thing.

I consider this character approval-worthy. All there's really for you to do is see if you can match Tom's request of being a technical sentry (a mechanic/soldier hybrid occupation) or not.

Well, thank you all very much for your support and comments. I had felt that I was doing poorly with this character, everything seemed so bland. More comments about anything I could tweak would be appreciated and applied.

Anyways, I'd be more than happy to be a technical sentry since I am, more or less, clay to be shaped, and I more than willingly submit myself to your hands. I read the description in the CCG, and it seems like something that would be quite fun and challenging. Quick question, when I talk about how things work, as in when I am talking about what needs to be fixed, is going to be up to my discretion of how to describe what a part is/how it works? Or is there a basic guideline for that sort of thing?

.....And a really random question to top it off:
What are the general musical tastes/styles of this universe? (Lots of metal? techno? Etc.)

Alright, more updates to come.

Yamatai likes trance.
Nepleslia likes metal and rap.

Elysia is the only one with an interesting music scene, though. See here:

https://stararmy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4072

Classical, metal, punk, and trance... all with harps, lyres, cellos, and panpipes!

Macchiato Sun represents some of the only interesting Yamataian music. See here: https://stararmy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3780 and https://stararmy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3773

Also, I have made mention of other folk rock artists, chiefly Erin Wiell and Victor Marhen.

Nepleslian metal bands include Aethersperm.

If you are interested in ever playing a musician you may wish to read here: https://stararmy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4048

In case you couldnt tell? Yes, I am the only bloody person in the world who gives a rats ass about music, if SA is to be trusted.

Sleepwalker said:
Yamatai likes trance.
Nepleslia likes metal and rap.

Awesome, thank you very much. I was just kind of wondering what kind of music my guy would be listening to (lucky for me I love metal). I love music, and was thinking of having my guy have headphones on a lot.

Sleepwalker said:
Elysia is the only one with an interesting music scene, though. See here:
https://stararmy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4072
Wow, very impressive compilation, history, and originality.

Sleepwalker said:
Nepleslian metal bands include Aethersperm.
Sorry for acting immature... but .... *snicker* 'Aethersperm'?

Now you can shoot me for overuse of quotes. :3

Aethersperm. Thank our resident admin Wes for that one. Although Sachikoe now makes an Aethersperm Signature guitar.

Metal is cool. Elysian "Lamiera" metal is cooler, since its all neo-classical Yngve Malmsteen-esque.

Music really doesn't come up much in the JPs - it really should though. I'd be glad if people came up with more bands/groups and genres (music with pleasing subliminal effects, perhaps?)

It's noticeable that Elisa owns a pair of MP3-equivalent-playing headphones, for example. Also, Yukari is known to sing a lot. More musicians and music enthusiasts would be welcomed by this humble RPer.

I'd argue, though, that music is the most common form of art players generally decide to portray. There are other kinds of artwork you people can explore: the late Chisou's woodcarving skill (used to make flutes with stylized relief images on the surface) is one particularly good example. Tom Freeman's dancing is another.

I do music because it's what I know. ^.^;;

I also wrote up Elysian theatre, in my defence, which is all dancy-oriented. And Orion's character, Remiel, is a profligate shadow-dancer.

Maybe one of my characters should write...possibly dirty things. Possibly dirty fanfic. Possibly dirty fanfic involving Yui and a whip.

...I'll stop now. ^^;

Actually, Tom is the Nepleslian GM and he liked what he saw. His demand was met. I don't see why anymore delay is needed seeing this bio is, according to most, spiffying awesome.

Therefore,

APPROVED.

Woo hoo! This dude wasn't a total failure!
I guess I would like Tom to take a second look and get anything else ironed out.

So, what do I do next?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back