• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Implemented Improve Canon Flow to Favor RP

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Currently most of the stuff getting added to the SARPiverse looks like this:
  • Pages added to the wiki --> RP using stuff in those pages (maybe)
What I'd like to see try is
  • RP events and items --> If we like the result, add them to the wiki
Why?
  • Currently there's a heavy focus on the wiki and I'd like to shift focus more toward to RP.
  • A lot of wiki pages are being added that don't seem to be used in RP.
How:
  • Require links to RP appearances in submissions - put the RP first
  • (Optional) Mark threads as canon in return for a summary of the events that happened in them (which can be an event page or used to make an event page or history section updates)
Pros:
  • More RP posts
  • Less pointless wiki work and submission review work
  • Members can see real examples how a setting element is used at the time of submission
  • Community is more informed about what is happening in RP
Cons:
  • Sometimes the stuff people have appear in RPs won't make it to canon (not necessarily bad) or will be altered to fit the setting when it's translated to the wiki
If you like the idea of us only accepting wiki stuff that's actually appeared in the RP, please vote for this idea.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
It did just occur to me, some people do want to just create for the joy of creation, should we even consider trying to force them to RP out every new thing?
That's what I got a little upset about in the channel kinda. But the thing is still I make my stuff to be used.

Given how I just tripped over my own feet trying to go wiki -> roleplay I think this is probably a good idea if we can work out a way to tell people that 'no the OP thing you used in RP isn't going on the wiki'

We could start RP that introduced new concepts/items in Open RP and only after NTSE has looked at it, is it allowed to move from there and an article made?

I don't feel like that would work because RP, where we want to do something new, doesn't just happen in Open RP. For example, with the Resurgence Plot, I thought it would be cool if Chelith visited a shinto temple that doesn't currently exist. because it's not in open RP, I'm not sure if I would be able to do that. Or perhaps want to use a weapon that doesn't currently exist might be another example.

See I think the temple and the weapon are two different things. The temple is an opportunity for others' future RP down the line, and if it makes sense for a temple to be there then it can. There's a lot of Shinto temples in Yamatai. A new weapon is something that is a constraint. It has to behave in a predictable fashion according to rules of fairness that don't apply to a temple. It actually restricts RP when it's used as anything but a setting detail to increase immersion (edit or a macguffin). Once it's being used in an action scene, it restricts RP based on the rules of a system that applies to it consistently. A temple is just a cool place where RP can happen.

Skimming through former posts (lunch break), I would not mind seeing a minor NTSE (to see if it OP or not) then let the person RP in a sort of R&D format. Like field testing, discussion between designers, etc. Myself personally, it would certainly help flesh out any minor details I might be still mulling over. If it doesn't end up ultimately being approved, it still has the RP from "development".

Just my opinion as wanting to make something right can be quite the investment in time.

I did just think of something that is kind of a flaw with the NTSE-first system- It makes it hard to surprise your players if they saw you submit the macguffin.

Based on feedback and voting score that indicates strong support, we will begin implementing this in the immediate future.

The primary difference you'll see is that wiki approvals will ask for a link to show the item/thing appearing in RP.

You can still build stuff first if you like, but it will remain in WIP until it appears in RP.

I hope people will use this change to stop wiki from work get in the way of RP.

It kind of makes new firm canon no longer a thing. Should that section get updated?

Perhaps. I didn't remove it because that sort of stuff still exists and new firm canon stuff might still be created (for example by people working on the expansion pack).

Sub articles for organizational purposes but not approved separately have the canon status of the main article, right? This is something I “heard” but for clarification.

If they were approved as part of the main page, yes.

In general we should try to avoid excessive use of "sub-articles."

Motoyoshi and Yugumo are big topics

I feel like it's still perfectly reasonable for something to be wikified before RPed. My intention with voting here was to RP-focused canonization an option for players, not to swap what is mandatory.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back