• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

[Infantry Weapon] FL-10 Infantry Weapons System

TeslaTornado

Inactive Member
Producer Information

Designer: Independent Weapons Incorporated
Manufacturer: IWI Northern Foundry, Funky City, Nepleslia
(Suggested) Price: 2400 DA
Individual Component Costs:
Gauss Propulsion Unit: 150 DA
1 Chain of Spikes: 75 DA

Nomenclature Information

Name: FL-10 "Porcupine" 10mm Flechette Launcher
Type: Gauss (Magnetic Propulsion)
Model: FL-10
Role: Military/Civilian Light Assault Rifle
Length: 3' 9"
Weight: 5 Kilograms

Discharge Information

Projection/ammo type: Solid
Firing Mechanism: Gauss Driver, Semi-Auto/Auto
Caliber: 10mm Tungsten
Effective Range: 350 meters
Maximum Range: 700 meters
Minimum Range: 0m
Muzzle Velocity: 824 m/sec
Muzzle Blast: None
Firing Mode(s): Semi automatic, automatic
Recoil: Light recoil.

===== Ammo Description: =====
Name: 10mm High-Grade Tungsten Flechettes
General Description: Long, cylindrical spikes of tungsten chained together for sustained fire for long periods of time. 4 fins extend from the spine and steady the spike on its course when fired.
Ammo: 60 spikes on a belt fed from a square magazine inserted into the side of the gun.
Bullet Description
The spike is a modified version of the original design, which was originally stake shaped. This newer design is basically a 1/4 inch, high-grade tungsten spine with four retracting fins, built to pierce personal armor (e.g ballistics mesh, cloth, leather.) The spike can pierce up to 1/4 inch of ballistics mesh with lethal force as long as it strikes a vital organ (brain, heart, lung).

Name: Tungsten Shatter-core Rounds
General Description: 1/4 inch tungsten spikes with a tiny amount of impact-trigger explosives in the center.
Ammo: 60 spikes on a belt fed from a small box inserted into the side of the gun.
Bullet Description
The Shatter-core rounds are built with destruction in mind. Looking like regular High-grade spikes, the Shatter-core rounds, on high-velocity impact, shatter into shards of high-speed tungsten capable of damaging un-armored targets easily.

===== Weapon Mechanisms: =====

Safety: Yes, a switch behind the trigger will retract all bullets back into the drum clip.
Fire mode selector: Yes, a switch above the trigger will turn on a reel beneath the action which will draw the chain through automatically when you pull the trigger.
Weapon Sight: Foresight.
Attachment Hard points: Optional flashlight/laser sight track on the right side of the gun barrel.

Maintenance Information:

Field Maintenance Procedure:

Remove stock. Remove front grip and barrel. Dissasemble action and take great care with a standard weapon cleaning kit to remove obstructions. Also, remove the clip and chain to get rid of a jam or run in the chain.

Replaceable Parts and components:
Barrel, front grip, action, stock and gauss driver.

History:

Designed as an assault rifle for law enforcement and civilian use, the FL-10 was intensely designed and rehearsed, numerous attempts being made to correct design flaws, such as adapting the design to change from the original titanium to a more effective tungsten round.

Despite this, progress is being made, albiet slowly.

Just so you know:

I think -- as in I haven't run the actual simulations -- that cone-shaped objects would make worse projectiles than bullets.

• They'd be less aerodynamic; their flared base increases drag compared to a traditional bullet.
  • They'd be far less accurate; their sloped shape, I imagine, might make them far more prone to tumbling in the air than standard bullets.
  • They might penetrate more poorly; they don't concentrate mass behind a single point to the same degree as bullets, due to its flared base. The sloped shape also means they'd carry less mass (and therefore energy) per given length or barrel caliber.
  • They'd have a lower rate of fire; un-even sides means they'd be much harder to use in both smoothbore and rifled barrels, so would require a more complex shell/casing than traditional slugs which could hamper rate of fire.
  • Their ammo would be much heavier-per-round and prone to jamming; see above note of complex casing.

Also, no description of the weapon...I can't tell if it's a shoulder-mounted squad weapon or a rifle, or anything about its appearance. The length and weight also don't match up; Most anti-materiel rifles of that size weigh around 15-30kg, at half the length. While this is a smaller caliber than those rifles, it's nearly double the length -- taller than the average adult female -- so should still weigh much more than 5 Kg. Actually, the sheer weight of the 100-shot drum could qualify it as a squad support weapon (like a heavy machine gun) more than a "civilian light weapon".

I'm afraid I can't make any suggestions yet because I really don't have the slightest clue what you're aiming for here. A heavy machine gun? A marksman rifle? A machine pistol? Only once you add a description and help clarify what it's supposed to be/do can I really help instead of just tearing it apart. :|

I agree that it is not elaborated on enough and agree on quite a few of Jess' points, nor is there a link to a wiki page.

Also, I notice that it has a velocity of 1600 m/s/s, which makes no sense since that is a unit of acceleration, not velocity.

Judging from its length and caliber, I think that it would be a squad support weapon.

Also, Strangelove is correct about the likely issues with the ammo as it exists right now. Ideally, you'll want to sabot the rounds and make them mostly cylindrical, al la modern APDS rounds. The tumble a rod penetrator might experience shouldn't be a problem if you're spitting them out at a sufficient velocity. To be safe though, you might want to make them fin stabilized...

The only other thing is that tungsten or depleted uranium might be a better choice for the ammunition. It'll give it better armor penetration and make it effective against light-medium vehicles.

Kevyn pretty much nailed what I was aiming for, however, it obviously isn't done yet. I'll go through and make more realistic modifications.

Let us know when modifications have been made and you are ready for further review.

Another thing that only just twigged for me. You may want to make it a bit shorter. Say... meter twenty? That sounds about right for a SAW or GPMG.

Edit: Also, the effective range should be greater. As it stands, it has a lower effective range then a modern AK47. I'd say sights adjustable for three hundred to one thousand meters, at the least.

The Shatter-core rounds are built with destruction in mind. Looking like regular High-grade spikes, the Shatter-core rounds, on high-velocity impact, shatter into shards of high-speed tungsten capable of damaging un-armored targets easily. Can also be used in situations where shooting straight would be a bad thing (I.E Around pillars, through doorways, etc.) as well-placed rounds can shatter and send most of the flechettes on the right course.

From Wikipedia, on ricochet:
Bullet construction has a major factor in determining both the likelihood of ricochet as well as where the bullet will travel afterward. Hard bullets have a greater tendency to penetrate than softer ones. Bullets that break up, such as varmint hunting bullets have a low risk of ricochet. This is one of the reasons the newer .17 HMR round with its frangible bullet has gained popularity against the older non-fragmenting .22 WMR, because of the lower chance of ricochet.

Since your round seems to be a frangible one, there is a low risk of ricochet.

Ricochets are often more common with low power calibers such as .22 or .177 calibre, which can have trouble penetrating some materials, although a ricochet can occur with any caliber. Higher velocity projectiles have a tendency to either penetrate the target, and/or to break-up on contact with it.

Your rounds won't ricochet at high velocities, they'll penetrate.

Furthermore, it is also incredibly hard to accurately ricochet a shot onto a specific target. I can see that the shards would gain a possible hit on targets behind a corner, what with a shotgun effect occuring, but the average military won't teach a soldier to waste ammunition on a guess-based shot such as a ricochet.

Also: If your round shatter upon impact, how will they possibly be able to penetrate heavy armor?

This newer design is basically a 1/4 inch, high-grade tungsten spine with four retracting fins, built to pierce personal armor (e.g ballistics mesh, cloth, leather.)

Why is it even saboted, then? Sabot rounds tend to be made to penetrate heavy armor (see the M1A1's weapon, etc.) Even cartridges used in small arms are meant solely for this purpose.

Ammo: 100 spikes on a belt fed from a drum clip on top of the gun.

I'm assuming you're taking a page from the Bren, which is fine. But if you take that design, use a lower-capacity -magazine-, since a drum mag on top and to the side of the rifle would cause the rifle to tilt to the side just slightly. Might want to just look to modern LMGs like the M249 or RPK for ideas.

Weapon Sight: Yes, 4x scope between the drum clip and the feed.

I guess that there's nothing wrong with this, since we see ACOG scopes on M249s, but if you mean for this to be a support weapon in the same way as a Light Machine Gun, you don't necessarily want accuracy, since such weapons in a squad are solely meant to keep the enemies heads down with continuous fire.

Attachment Hard points: Wooden stock can be replaced with carbon fiber stock, front grip can be replaced with a foregrip.

In this setting, most military organizations would probably want to field weapons that come with polymer or other stocks, since wood is not the most reliable material for making stocks, anymore.

Conclusion: Honestly, it looks like you're trying to combine an anti-tank rifle with a light machine gun, which does not make sense. An anti-tank gun takes very specialized ammunition to put a round precisely where a fuel tank, etc might be in a vehicle, and such rounds tend to be expensive. A light machine gun is meant to put lots of rounds downtown and doing that job with sabot rounds is extremely excessive.

So make this an anti-tank gun in the same way as the Soviet PTRS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PTRS-41) or make this an LMG. It's a bad thing in a military to have a weapon that does two specialized jobs. It's why they call such jobs specialized. Doshii may want to correct me on this, though.

I was going for an assault rifle design, but it kinda metamorphosed somehow unintentionally.

Guess it doesn't really pay to put 'squad-level support weapon' in the description when I was going for an AR.

Edit: Weapon alterations have been made. The top-side drum magazine has been replaced with a box magazine that loads directly into the side of the gun. Ammo capacity has been reduced to 60 to compensate. 4x scope has been removed. Sights have been altered to compensate. New additions have been made to attachments.

More than a day or two has passed. Tell us when this is ready for final review?

Link to the wiki?

I had to change one of my own weapon names when I seen this. I had used porcupine too. Anyway fixed. Ill take another look at this.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back