• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

[Infantry Weapon] R30 Modular Weapons System

Kevyn

Inactive Member
Producer Information:

Designer: Alekander Fairbanks
Manufacturer: Godwin Armories
(Suggested) Price: 3500ks for full system.
Cost Per Component:
Core assembly: 1700 ks
Rifle coil assembly: 35ks
DMR coil assembly: 40ks
SAW coil assembly: 55ks
Carbine coil assembly: 30ks
Standard magazine: 20ks
DMR magazine: 12ks
Drum magazine: 30ks
Battery (rechargeable): 100ks
Power leads (replacement): 15ks
Heat shield (replacement): 20ks
100 rounds: 40ks
Refex sight: 150ks
4x sight: 300ks
Average Kit Costs:
Service Rifle: 2005ks
Carbine: 2000ks
Designated Marksman Rifle: 2152ks
Squad Automatic Weapon: 2035ks

Nomenclature Information:

Name: GA R30 Modular Weapons System
Type: Gauss
Model: R30
Role: Military Service Rifle/Carbine/Designated Marksman Rifle/Squad Automatic Weapon
Layout: Bullpup
Length:
Service Rifle: 760mm (barrel length: 500mm)
Carbine: 710mm (barrel length: 450mm)
Designated Marksman Rifle: 860mm (barrel length: 600mm)
Squad Automatic Weapon: 860mm (barrel length: 600mm)
Weight:
Service Rifle: 3.6 Kilograms
Carbine: 3.3 Kilograms
Designated Marksman Rifle: 3.75 Kilograms
Squad Automatic Weapon: 3.9 Kilograms

Discharge Information:

Projection/ammo type: Solid
Firing Mechanism: Coil-type Linear Accelerator
Caliber: 11x55mm
Cartage: 8x40mm bullet, with 11x55mm base-type cylindrical sabot.
Effective Range:
Service Rifle: 900 meters
Carbine: 600 meters
Designated Marksman Rifle: 1400 meters
Squad Automatic Weapon: 1400 meters
Maximum Range: 2600 meters
Minimum Range: 10m for sabot to disengage, retains lethality with sabot attached.
Muzzle Velocity: 1300 m/s
Muzzle Blast: None, sabot discarded within ten meters.
Rate of Fire: 2000r/m in burst fire, artificially limited to 600r/m in automatic fire.
Firing Mode(s): Semi automatic, three round burst, fully automatic.
Recoil: Medium recoil.

Ammo Description:

Name: 11x55mm saboted bullets.
General Description: Boat tail bullet encased in a base-type sabot. Cylindrical in shape, with a large ‘scoop’ on the forward components of the sabot to allow air resistance to disengage the sabots outward from the penetrator in flight.
Ammo: 45 round box magazine, 20 round box magazine (standard with DMR), 75 round drum magazine
Bullet Description: Boat tail bullet with three small equidistant spines running the length of the bullet, for stabilization. Tungsten penetrator cap with copper jacketed steel core.

Weapon Mechanisms:

Safety: Disengages feed mechanism and power supply, incorporated into fire selector.
Fire mode selector: Four position fire selector: Safe, Semi, 3, Auto
Weapon Sight:
Service Rifle, Carbine: Iron sights, marks for 200, 400 and 600 meters, refex sight mounted on top rail as standard.
Designated Marksman Rifle: Iron sights, marks for 200, 400, 600 and 800 meters, 4x magnifying scope mounted on top rail as standard.
Squad Automatic: Iron sights, marks for 200, 400, 600 and 800 meters, refex sight mounted on top rail as standard.
Attachment Hard points: Picatinny rail system on top of weapon, with additional rails forward of heat shield.
SAW version mounts a bipod as standard

Maintenance Information:

Field Maintenance Procedure:

Clear and safe weapon.
Remove power cell and magazine.
Open top of heat shield/coil assembly and remove accelerator coils.
Check coils for obvious defects and clean any obstructions.
Open check panel and ensure that power leads are not compromised.
Clean contacts of battery and ensure that there is not corrosion.
Reinsert accelerator coils and close and lock heat shield/coil assembly.
Replace battery.
Ensure that weapon still cycles.
Replace magazine.

Replaceable Parts and components:

Accelerator coils, power leads, heat shields

History:

The R30 Modular Weapons System is an attempt to standardize the weapons and ammunition used by light infantry and security forces. All components of the R30 fully interchangeable between versions, and any one version of the system can be changed to another with the correct parts and one minute's work.

In initial testing, the rectangular three element base-type sabot was found to be problematic. Several instances of the sabot spot welding itself to the coils were documented, mostly during automatic fire. In addition, feed issues were found with the proposed drum style magazine for the Squad Automatic Weapon configuration.

The rectangular round was replaced with a slightly more complicated but less problematic cylindrical four element base-type sabot. Though this round exhibited occasional instances of spot welding, they were within the specified tolerances of the program.

It's primarily intended to be an anti infantry weapon. Basicly, the applications that a Steyr AUG could be put to apply to the R30. (The AUG is the inspiration for this particular firearm.)

The round shouldn't be such a tiny little dart then, that has no expansion and very little chance of creating a wound channel of any sort.

The AUG isn't designed to penetrate any form of armor because of how it is made -- the round it uses does all the work. I think you're going to have to figure out a new round.

And I'm open to that. Just give me some suggestions here. I've already thought about doubling the thickness of the round, and increasing the sabot by a similar margin.

*nods* You got it.

1. Ditch the idea of the long dart. It defeats your purpose instead of adding to it. A more standard-looking type of rifle bullet would be better.

2. Ditch the solid titanium round, go with a softer metal jacketed/coated/enclosed in titanium, perhaps. You need more weight at the least, and you need something that fragments, spins, or does something other than make a pretty hole in the dude. In short: DAMAGE, DAMAGE, DAMAGE! (ala Nene).

3. Keep the sabots. A great way to really hurl a round much faster than it deserves to go. You fire off a 6 mm round down a 10-mm bore, with enough energy from the rails, that bullet will be very, very deadly.

Well, it's actually a tungsten rod. I just noticed that I wrote titanium under the bullet description for some reason. The correct cartage was listed under discharge information. Now fixed.

I've swiched to a 4x60mm round at the same muzzle velocity, and a 10mm sabot.

A 4 x 60 mm tungsten rod is no better.

You don't want tungsten. You want lead, soft aluminum or some kind of metal that's going to deform or fragment.

You don't want a rod. You want a bullet, a conical projectile, something that will spin or fragment. You're essentially throwing a big lawn dart through them at such a high rate of speed it might literally go through them without stopping them at all. There will be no "stopping power." There will be no "knockdown." There very well could be "ZING!" through the target and nary any damage. It might take them not a few seconds, but several dozen seconds to feel it or take notice.

What I'm trying to say, in essence, is that you need to get more gruesome! Tear flesh! Blow off arms! MAKE THEM BLEED, DARN IT! Your darts could do that at 4 x 60 mm but you could do it with something that's more efficient.

When I said think of your target, I mean really think about it. Is it Neko? If so, you want to do the above. Is it Mishhu? Such a dart will have to go even faster to penetrate their carapace. Is it just other Neps? Then it's hard to say. I still think you could make a smaller, more effective round.

You seem to still be thinking "possible anti-armor round." Don't. Ditch that, and focus on a weapon that will perform one purpose really well. This is a general service rifle at its core. Treat it like one.

What is "cartage?"

Cartage was a typo. I mean to say cartridge.

I'll drop it down to a rifle size, but I'll argue about the composition. In a (SARP) modern battlefield, you're going to be dealing with armored individuals, and not just power armor pilots. Even basic infantry would, based off what I've seen of the materials available, be wearing body armor that could defeat a standard jacketed lead round. To get into a position to be able to do damage to the target in the first place, you're going to need an armor penetrator of some stripe. That's why I'm inclined to keep the tungsten. It needs armor pen.

You will be dealing, theoretically, with armored individuals. I agree with you there. You should be able to defeat some types of armor.

But you don't need a rod or anything of that sort. You need a properly jacketed projectile, that can not only defeat armor but hurt flesh. That's my main problem with the round you've been proposing -- all it does is defeat the armor; what's behind it seems to be an afterthought.

Check out world.guns.ru and examine some of the ammunition it has under the ammo section. That might give you a better idea of what I mean -- you need both.

Would a tungsten jacket break enough to allow the interior of the bullet to fragment? Maybe if it was just a tungsten cap on the round, with jacketed lead or aluminum behind it? I'm already dropping it down to a length:width ratio comparable to modern rounds, I just haven't gotten around to updating the stats on the sheet yet.

Alright, rethought the round.

New spec:

15x40mm bullet, tungsten penetrator cap with copper jacketed steel core. Three stabilizing ridges located equidistant from one another running the entire length of the bullet.
20x55mm base type cylindrical sabot. Separates into four components under air friction from fire.

I still that for a modular weapons system that is somehow supposed to be for regular infantry ... it's big and uses a really big round. There's nothing technically wrong it now, though.

Size is comparable to a modern FAMAS or AUG, or Minimi or RPK in the case of the SAW. The bullet is rather large I admit, but not unreasonable.

Bleh. I repeated myself ... I'm sorry. I was only talking about the round. It's late here.

The round size IS big, but if you realize that going in ... eh. To be honest though, you should realize that it is a big round. The actual projectile ALONE is nearly .60-caliber.

NOTE: You should definitely have weight on the round. I didn't see any weights listed.

Yeah, the bullet is beastly huge, but it shouldn't have the same recoil of a, for instance, Barret M82, due to the mechanism used. Unless I'm pulling this completely out of my ass. I'm not physics student, so my knowledge of how rail and coil guns function is limited to what I've been able to glean from publications on the subject rather then an actual understanding of the mechanism behind it.

Edit: Screw it, you're right. It is too big. Would 8mm be more reasonable?

I know I'm coming in late but if the spine/needle were incredibly heavy or super-dense, it'd slice through targets. Especially if it's leaving a barrel at over mach 2 or so.

I think we've already hit that point. While the penitrator cap is tungsten, the type of body armor you're liable to encounter in SARP will slow it down enough to allow the bullet to deform in the body.

But yeah, it'll just go clean though an unarmored target, for better or for worse. But the person who's fielding unarmored infantry or using railguns for crowd control has some serious (read: terminal) limitations as a leader, so it shouldn't be a huge issue with the target market.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back