• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

[Infantry Weapon] R30 Modular Weapons System

Kevyn

Inactive Member
Producer Information:

Designer: Alekander Fairbanks
Manufacturer: Godwin Armories
(Suggested) Price: 3500ks for full system.
Cost Per Component:
Core assembly: 1700 ks
Rifle coil assembly: 35ks
DMR coil assembly: 40ks
SAW coil assembly: 55ks
Carbine coil assembly: 30ks
Standard magazine: 20ks
DMR magazine: 12ks
Drum magazine: 30ks
Battery (rechargeable): 100ks
Power leads (replacement): 15ks
Heat shield (replacement): 20ks
100 rounds: 40ks
Refex sight: 150ks
4x sight: 300ks
Average Kit Costs:
Service Rifle: 2005ks
Carbine: 2000ks
Designated Marksman Rifle: 2152ks
Squad Automatic Weapon: 2035ks

Nomenclature Information:

Name: GA R30 Modular Weapons System
Type: Gauss
Model: R30
Role: Military Service Rifle/Carbine/Designated Marksman Rifle/Squad Automatic Weapon
Layout: Bullpup
Length:
Service Rifle: 760mm (barrel length: 500mm)
Carbine: 710mm (barrel length: 450mm)
Designated Marksman Rifle: 860mm (barrel length: 600mm)
Squad Automatic Weapon: 860mm (barrel length: 600mm)
Weight:
Service Rifle: 3.6 Kilograms
Carbine: 3.3 Kilograms
Designated Marksman Rifle: 3.75 Kilograms
Squad Automatic Weapon: 3.9 Kilograms

Discharge Information:

Projection/ammo type: Solid
Firing Mechanism: Coil-type Linear Accelerator
Caliber: 11x55mm
Cartage: 8x40mm bullet, with 11x55mm base-type cylindrical sabot.
Effective Range:
Service Rifle: 900 meters
Carbine: 600 meters
Designated Marksman Rifle: 1400 meters
Squad Automatic Weapon: 1400 meters
Maximum Range: 2600 meters
Minimum Range: 10m for sabot to disengage, retains lethality with sabot attached.
Muzzle Velocity: 1300 m/s
Muzzle Blast: None, sabot discarded within ten meters.
Rate of Fire: 2000r/m in burst fire, artificially limited to 600r/m in automatic fire.
Firing Mode(s): Semi automatic, three round burst, fully automatic.
Recoil: Medium recoil.

Ammo Description:

Name: 11x55mm saboted bullets.
General Description: Boat tail bullet encased in a base-type sabot. Cylindrical in shape, with a large ‘scoop’ on the forward components of the sabot to allow air resistance to disengage the sabots outward from the penetrator in flight.
Ammo: 45 round box magazine, 20 round box magazine (standard with DMR), 75 round drum magazine
Bullet Description: Boat tail bullet with three small equidistant spines running the length of the bullet, for stabilization. Tungsten penetrator cap with copper jacketed steel core.

Weapon Mechanisms:

Safety: Disengages feed mechanism and power supply, incorporated into fire selector.
Fire mode selector: Four position fire selector: Safe, Semi, 3, Auto
Weapon Sight:
Service Rifle, Carbine: Iron sights, marks for 200, 400 and 600 meters, refex sight mounted on top rail as standard.
Designated Marksman Rifle: Iron sights, marks for 200, 400, 600 and 800 meters, 4x magnifying scope mounted on top rail as standard.
Squad Automatic: Iron sights, marks for 200, 400, 600 and 800 meters, refex sight mounted on top rail as standard.
Attachment Hard points: Picatinny rail system on top of weapon, with additional rails forward of heat shield.
SAW version mounts a bipod as standard

Maintenance Information:

Field Maintenance Procedure:

Clear and safe weapon.
Remove power cell and magazine.
Open top of heat shield/coil assembly and remove accelerator coils.
Check coils for obvious defects and clean any obstructions.
Open check panel and ensure that power leads are not compromised.
Clean contacts of battery and ensure that there is not corrosion.
Reinsert accelerator coils and close and lock heat shield/coil assembly.
Replace battery.
Ensure that weapon still cycles.
Replace magazine.

Replaceable Parts and components:

Accelerator coils, power leads, heat shields

History:

The R30 Modular Weapons System is an attempt to standardize the weapons and ammunition used by light infantry and security forces. All components of the R30 fully interchangeable between versions, and any one version of the system can be changed to another with the correct parts and one minute's work.

In initial testing, the rectangular three element base-type sabot was found to be problematic. Several instances of the sabot spot welding itself to the coils were documented, mostly during automatic fire. In addition, feed issues were found with the proposed drum style magazine for the Squad Automatic Weapon configuration.

The rectangular round was replaced with a slightly more complicated but less problematic cylindrical four element base-type sabot. Though this round exhibited occasional instances of spot welding, they were within the specified tolerances of the program.

Kevyn said:
Yeah, the bullet is beastly huge, but it shouldn't have the same recoil of a, for instance, Barret M82, due to the mechanism used. Unless I'm pulling this completely out of my ass. I'm not physics student, so my knowledge of how rail and coil guns function is limited to what I've been able to glean from publications on the subject rather then an actual understanding of the mechanism behind it.

Edit: Screw it, you're right. It is too big. Would 8mm be more reasonable?

:shock: (Thank You Lord for not having to explain how recoil Barret M82 works and similarities in recoil on a rail gun)

Oh, I know that a Barrett has a kick like an angry mule, but the recoil from a coilgun is different then the recoil from chemical rifle. For one thing, it's a longer (slightly) and smoother acceleration rather then then a swift release of energy right off the bat. It would have still had a kick, and one hell of a kick at that, but it would have been different from a chemical rifle of simliar caliber.

Godwin.

It's a Welsh last name meaning: "Love for God" or "beloved of God" or something very similar. I've seen it defined a couple of different ways over the years.

I'm just curious- it's not a very common last name. It's nota common company name but for all I know, I might be related to someone I never knew about. =) I just found it odd that it found its way on to an SARPG entry, while I was offline for a week.

It'd be like seeing my husband's last name show up on an entry.. not a common last name at all. Anytime we encounter the name- its a family member.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back