• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Approved Submission International Association of Advanced Companies for Inventor's Rights and Free Trade

Ethereal

Banned Member
Submission Type: International Agreement?
Template Used: Business

Faction:
FM Approved Yet? No @Wes
Faction requires art? No

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? No
Contains New art? No
Previously Submitted? No

Notes:
1,000th post, woo!

This submission is to address an issue in the SARPiverse that has been left pretty unaddressed until now. While technology stealing is a really crappy thing to do from an OOC perspective, there's no IC barriers to this behaviour at all and there are going to be users who don't care how people think OOC.

Right now in setting, a nation or large company could decide one day to take the plans to a certain technology created through hard OOC work and steal them. In fact, this entity could steal all the plans from a company, or many companies. Suddenly, for example, an entity is producing millions of highly advanced warships created by a company and not paying respects or a single penny to the creator of that technology. They could even make an entire fleet overnight using all plans that company has, such as Origin, which they should have no right to do, then go out and conquer.

Essentially, we're putting copyright laws into IC, which they really should have been in the first place with the rate of tech submission. If you're a smaller company such as Galactic Horizon or KenTec and suddenly a nation is producing millions of your products without crediting you or paying royalties entirely for their own benefit there's nothing you can do with your size.

As with IRL copyright laws, international sanctions should be in place to deter this amoral behaviour. If you want to use something, buy it or make something that does the job yourself. If you breach copyright IRL there are fines and more. Here, we're using the combined political and economic presence of companies who don't want their stuff stolen to place sanctions on people who do steal what isn't theirs.

As an added extra, companies on the higher tier of membership can tap into a combined rainy day fund in case something awful happens. When companies struggle because of IC reasons and they're large companies, it can affect factions. Having that bailout fund is a backstop in case something like that happens again is good - having gloom and doom over a faction won't do at all.

Oh - also it's stated clearly that's all this is for, not anything else politically. I won't have that at all and I'm sure the companies wouldn't, unless some FM really wants to do RP with the IAAC. Stopping stealing, promoting free trade and promoting helping your fellow companies is all this should be used for.

Thanks to @Kai for discussing this with me in advance. I can envision mixed responses but we sort of need an IC barrier for there not to be a glaring hole, even if it is somehow patched OOC.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Thanks for getting this tangent out of the submission ><

First off, apologies to @Legix, I meant strong-arming generally & not at all directed at Nepleslia. They're gud guyz with companies.

I understand people are wary about how the IAAC will be used. That's why points brought will need IC discussion and for player characters to vote democratically on whether to act, then on what degree of action.

This means that as the organisation grows, so does the amount of voters. The higher the collective influence, the less a bad apple can ask for something dumb.

I like to think that the ideals of the IAAC and the ideals of the nations of the Kikyo sector on the whole are aligned. Everyone likes free trade because it boosts the economy and prevents international war, nobody likes having their work stolen because it discourages innovation and encourages lawlessness.

Additionally, as far as I've detailed there's no grounds for corporate size-"standards" since all corporations are given total autonomy within the IAAC as long as they don't breach what they stand for. It does make sense, however, that more influential companies hold a higher place even as a formality to give newer companies a goal to strive for. All companies will have their thoughts heard, though.

Hello! Let's see if this submission meets the requirements for inclusion in Star Army's lore...

[ X ] 1. The destination URL should be a page in the appropriate namespace and titled lower_case_with_underscores
[ X ] 2. The article is in the appropriate format and article template
[ X ] 3. The article follows our wiki style guidelines, including: No forced line breaks, text after each section header, etc.
[ X ] 4. The article is easily read and free of errors in spelling and grammar
[ X ] 5. Links to other wiki articles are present as appropriate
[ X ] 6. The article fits into the Star Army universe's space opera theme and technology levels
[ X ] 7. Images in the article are hosted on Star Army's wiki and sourced responsibly (contact Wes privately if there's a concern)
[ X ] 8. The article is original and doesn't contain copy-pasted content from other articles.
[ X ] 9. The article complies with Star Army's rules in terms of damage ratings, speed limits, etc.
[ X ] 10. The Faction Manager(s), if applicable, have posted approval for this article in this thread.

Approved

RPG-D RPGfix
Back