• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Is parrying with aether saber-rifles possible?

Fred

Retired Staff
I think I remember someone asking me that a while back - don't recall who. I didn't have any answer for it and suggested the question be brought up but... *looks around* I haven't seen the question pop up anywhere, so, I'm asking.

Mindy power armors have these cool aether saber-rifles. In rifle mode, they can make nasty, potentially fatal beams that can wipe out other power armors on good hits. The rifle's pulse mode might be slightly less lethal, but fires three times faster.

However, the M2 Mindy W2901 can also generate a aether sword blade that is probably everybit as lethal as the beam mode, but always constant at the cost of range. Now, with the amount of infighting the SARP has been seeing lately, this could make kickass swordfighting scenes should one power armor face another - just think on it: two armors whom have blades that can chop through nearly anything and armors which makes them as fast as their thoughts. This stuff could just smack of coolness. ^_^

However, I don't actually know if the sword projection of a saber-rifle can block and parry another. Can it stop the oncoming sweep of another aether-generated blade? Can it actually deflect an oncoming beam if positioned the right way?

Okay, so it's really like waving a very concentrated flamethrower spout... sort of (err, a stream of energy rather than a solid energy blade projection).

That's... unfortunate. v_v I guess this leaves only dodging the aether blades as the only possible way of continued survival in such fights then.

... So the blades charge up and are surrounded with energy. Meaning that if you parry with them, you essentially lose your blade attachement.

... What is their purpose then?

That would be

Anti-starship surgical Attacks, Hull cutting tool

not for sword fighting which if there was an instance where sword fighting would occur the winner would be the one who decided to just go ahead and shoot the other power armor. The weapon is not intended for the stylized fighting you'd see in movies.

I don't think that the physical sword part is necessary for the beam to be generated though it would simply be cut off if two swords struck each other.

Yeah, but if the aether blade itself is being projected and sheathing the blade without destroying it (and we all know that aether can chew up even though zesuaium - and I'm sure we all obstinately do not want to think about another material being stronger than zesuaium), it means there's some sort of field being around that'd limit the sword blade's size. Isn't that the basis behind projected energy beams?

Now, those fields might be made to hold the blade's shape for the safety of their user. If another field (a.k.a. another aether blade) came in contact, wouldn't these fields (both relatively similar, I'd assume), just push themselves away like... um... opposites on magnets? Or at least repel the other or keep it out to keep the blade's shape? If the aether saber-rifle can keep the shape of the aether it projects the way it wants, it probably can have some influence on another aether projection which would come in contact with it.

I gather the actual sword blade on the W2901 could be used to chop stuff you don't want to use an aether blade for... like... um, chopping carrots.

Uso Tasuki said:
The weapon is not intended for the stylized fighting you'd see in movies.

I know ... but just cutting up hull pieces is lame. MINDY SWORD ACTION would be cool.

Edit: I wish to whine that Uso isn't thinking about cool SWORD ACTION!, but practicality, which is missing the point entirely.

... ACTION!

That is speculation, especially with how the explanation of aether goes, energy is moving back and forth through time during the instants where the sword is activated. The effect lasts in the area it is projected upon, there is no containment of the beam in the description and definitely no anti-aether capabilities built into the weapon.

As such when the two infinite energy density zones cross, they would simply pass through each other because there is nothing stopping them. The beams wouldn't double the energy output in the area where the swords cross either because they are releasing the same aether.

And if it did come to a sword fight the winner would be the one who uses it as a gun instead of a sword.

This reminds me a lot of a Indiana Jones movie where there's this guy with a scimitar showing intimidating sword moves to Indy... until the later gets tired and shoots him with a gun.

So, what Uso is pretty much saying is that aether saber-rifle just cause projections whom generate gap in space to fill them with aether... and that two power armros fighting each other with that are really just swinging zones of non-existance at each other.

Yup. Sword duels reduced to dodging. *sigh*

FYI, that part of Indiana Jones was originally a duel between a sword and a whip but Harrison Ford was sick that day and wanted to finish the filming as soon as possible.

Seeing how the Beam blade comes from a rifle, I'd more rename the weapons spears or polearms as opposed to swords, due to the fact two hands are needed to make a rifle work properly.

As far as I know, the aether saber-rifle only requires one hand. the Mindy is probably strong enough to wave it around without too much problems.

Outside a Mindy, the thing's probably pretty heavy though.

If you want accuracy you should call it a tortch of somesort but it is far closer to a sword than it is a spear.

And yeah, a mindy should be able to handle this with only one hand.

A Mindy rifle can parry the attack of another Mindy rifle, once or twice. The inner blade is composed of Zesuaium, and aether doesn't instantly destroy it (it will be damaged, though, and the rifle blade might not work properly or at all after deflecting such a hit).

Keheh. I remember making a mention of that a while before. Wes is already applying changes to weapon descriptions - some are already up, I think, for the Sakura anyhow.

Weapon description relative to possible target wins, in my opinion.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back