• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Just in case there was any doubt I'm a huge fucking nerd...

It started with me making a couple of fake cards based on the Sakura crew and expanded to an entire work-in-progress set, complete with its own game mechanics.

That's right, a Star Army Magic set. There is no doubt now.

I use a program called Magic Set Editor for this. It's in a useable state but it's a bit buggy.

Game mechanics introduced in the currently untitled set:
  • Keyword - Command: Representing the ability of a commander to keep their crew at their best performance, Command gives all creatures you control other than the creature with Command +1/+1.
  • Keyword - Manifest: Several cards have the ability to produce 1/1 Nekovalkyrja Sprite tokens. But even better, is that you can replace these sprites with specialized versions of the normal 'vanilla' sprite, using creatures with the Manifest keyword! They have no mana cost and thus cannot be played normally, however, if they are in your hand or the graveyard, they may replace any sprite token that would be put into play.
  • Keyword - Restrict: Not everything can be used by everyone. Restrict is a keyword some equipment cards have, that restricts the type of creatures that can equip them.
  • New Card Types - Meta cards represent OOC concepts, and can have a heavy effect on how the game is played. Planet cards are lands that interact differently with some cards, and a set of 5 basic planets enable anyone to take those benefits without having to use non-basic lands! Event cards represent IC events. Equipment is not a new type, but it is no longer a subtype of Artifact (though artifact destruction can still destroy Equipment).
  • Starships - Several artifacts represent Starships - these cards have some interesting abilities on their own, and with the help of other cards, can have a devastating effect on your opponent!
  • Armors - These armors are vital to the success of your battles. They are equipment cards that are generally type-restricted, and some of them have special effects depending on who equips them.
  • Soul Transfer - Several cards in the set have the ability to bring people back from the dead! But this comes at a price - they can't be brought back again, as they are brought back as colorless token copies, which are instantly removed from the game upon their destruction. (I know Soul Transfer doesn't really work like that, but I have game balance to think of, yannow?)
  • Seraphs - an 'in-progress' mechanic, <s>Slivers</s> Seraphs, with their hive mentality, get far stronger with other Serpahs around them.

I may have missed some, so point it out if I did.
In any case, here are some sample cards that I have full images for.

1166414366916.png

Hanako has Provoke and the new keyword Command, both representing the infamous 'Hanako Effect'. Her abilities, naturally, are geared towards helping others - with a continuous powerup ability and another ability that allows her to permanently power up another creature, she's definately a useful utility card.

1166390676411.png

Midori's abilities are geared towards combat, and she is positively deadly - but it comes at a price. She has to have someone to guard, or else she's useless! But guard them she can - her abilities essentially allow her to take any blow that may destroy one of your other creatures, or even better, destroy one of the enemy creatures who blocked with the expectation of safety!

1166390750922.png

The Sakura may look pricey, but it's meant to be manned by it's crew (thus the affinity). Its abilities are incredibly useful however, and it is almost certainly made more useful by other cards in the set. (Note how all the Sakura cards have a Sakura watermark background.)

1166390796108.png

Yaichiro's usefulness is in the salvage-type abilities he has, enabling you to easily 'find' and 'repair' starships, armors, and other useful devices. He also has his namesake ability. What makes him interesting, however, is his representation of being a Soul Transfer copy - despite his mana cost, he is colorless, and has the type 'Token' - meaning he is instantly removed from the game upon his destruction!

1166390890243.png

Yes, GMs and selected players get their own cards too! Representing his all-powerful abilities as head GM, his abilities are ones you'll always want on your side. But he's only a 1/1, representing the fact that human beings aren't exactly the strongest of creatures. Note the 'Meta' type.

1166414284094.png

Yui's abilites represent her being extremely idolized among the Nekos (most of them, anyway) - inspiring them to do great things! And that's really all I have to say.

1166391195535.png

And this is just one of the 5 basic land types introduced. Kind of self-explanatory.

Now, of course, these aren't the only cards I have, so...I've uploaded 2 things for you guys!
1: A spoiler list in .txt format. Not everything is complete, mind you, so some entries might look bare.
2: The set in MSE format, in case you want to help me out or something.

Anyway, comment away! Call me a fucking nerd! Accuse me of having no life! :p

EDIT: Spelling corrected on card images. (Spoiler list and MSE set not updated at this time.)

EDIT 2: Spoiler and set file reuploaded elsewhere (without ads) and updated.

Aren't Yui's combat stats a bit low compared to Jo and Hanako? The ratings just seem a bit off to me. Yui is a NH-23, so, she should be able to ressurect herself too ^_^;

Hanako could be a 1/2; Jo a 3/2 and Yui a 5/4!

Oh, a friend made one for me a while ago...

aic3.deviantart.com_fs4_i_2004_225_7_3_Silhouette_MTG_card.jpg

I enjoy this!
I used to play this when I was 12. So I can easily relate, sort of, maybe... probably not.

Sleepwalker said:
Yay! Mizuho got a quote in there! :D

It seemed appropriate.

Kotori said:
Aren't Yui's combat stats a bit low compared to Jo and Hanako? The ratings just seem a bit off to me. Yui is a NH-23, so, she should be able to ressurect herself too ^_^;

Balance issues demand that, for the most part, statistics remain constant within species. Thus, all Neps are 1/1, all Yamataians are 2/2, and almost all Nekos are 3/3. It simplifies things. (This may change sometime in the future.)

Doshii Jun said:
P.S. -- Yui's last name is misspelled.

My confusion has to do with syllables - -rui vs -ruri. *shrug* I'll correct it.

Luca Pavone said:
I used to play this when I was 12. So I can easily relate, sort of, maybe... probably not.

I don't play this that much, really, but I 'catch up' every so often, buy a bunch of cards, then forget until the next wow-factor thing comes along.

Shouldn't Yui (and most Nekos for that matter) be White/Red?

No wait. We're not having this conversation.

*runs away*

This really makes me wish I had a pictu7re or either Chisou or Camellia. I want to see either of them in card form now. ;_;

Not really. It needs a couple of revisions though - 'you may play X as an instant' is now called 'Flash', and it would be better if you used the ability "X may block any number of creatures".

I think I'll use this, if you'll give me the art.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back