• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Miharu Life Between Missions 2: Strength of Will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyton

ON:

The Miharu was on it's way to her next destination after having made the side trip to Nepleslia. Once they were on their way Nyton had gotten to work preparing the Armor crews as much as possible for what may lay ahead. In the Miharu simulation room there were two teams of three now set up in DAISY Armors. Each team was taking turns fighting a simulated Mishhumachina. The first team was trying to coordinate their attacks according to keep the robot occupied in multiple directions. Unfortunately the multiple weapons along with the full aether capabilities of the weapon platform was a little overwhelming, even with the inclusion of being armed with Aether sabers and heavy firepower. "Sayoko weave left and apply more pressure! Yoko, the high ground! Move and spray! Dammit you're going to lose-" Nyton's orders and curse was coming out over the shared comm link to the other team just as the third Armor was torn in half by the Mishhumachina. The simulation registered the pilot known as Ururu as KIA and grayed her out on Tsuya's status screen. When this team was done she would be in the next round.

The grey-skinned neko grunted in frustration inside her armor as her teammate was downed. She was eager to get in combat, of course, but she wanted her fellow combatants to do well, so the ship as a whole had a better chance of surviving. She anxiously shifted around, the armor creaking slightly as it moved from foot to foot with her fidgeting, and her hands tightened around her flamethrower. "...Ururu-sempai..."

"Mou chikshooo!" Ururu cursed as her system shut her down. The remaining two made another valiant effort and succeeded in severing a couple of the machina's tendrils but it was a minor setback as it managed to grab Sayoko and crack her armor open and shoot plasma napalm at her. Sayoko was registered as being cooked alive. Yoko fared no better and was crushed by the remaining tentacles.Nyton just sighed a bit. These exercises were meant to train everyone so there was no need to be harsh at failure. "Alright you three, good attempt. Fall back and let Bravo team give it a shot." he said.

"Oh, no," Tsuya moaned as fright started to course through her. "We are going to die horribly when we get into combat." Her bottom lip trembled a bit as she stretched a bit, preparing to go into combat.

"Haaaaaaaaiiii...." sighed the first three neko, sounding disheartened at their loss. Next to Tsuya were two other armor members, Akane who already had her Aether beam saber primed and ready. The other member, Haruki, was bringing a bazooka up, loaded with armor piercing shells. "Good luck everyone!" Akane said to her team mates. "Yeah, you three mess that bastard up!" cheered Ururu. The simulation was beginning to reset and the room was slightly darker now. The Mishhumachina just hung limply before fading out. At this time Nyton then faced Tsuya's team. The Nepleslian then began to give a quick brief. "Alright, this is going to require a team effort. Remember to cover each other's backs and keep attacking it from different angles. This enemy has the advantage of firepower and armor. You three need to coordinate with each other with split second accuracy. The better you three can read off and react to each other, the better your chances of winning. Understood?"

"Hai, Claymere-taii. I will do my best and make my teammates proud!" She flicked the safety off her flamethrower and pointed it at where she presumed the mishuumachina was going to appear, the battle-adrenaline starting to flow through her body and causing her to grin wickedly.

Nyton stepped back and began the simulation. The battle zone was still empty when the message SIMULATION BEGIN flashed across Tsuya's screen. Nothing was visible until a flicker of bent light was visible closest to Akane. The battle had begun but this time the Mishhumachina was in stealth mode.

Tsuya contacted her teammates telepathically. "There, do you see? Neaer you, Akane-sempai - it is invisible!"

Akane looked over where Tsuya was pointing and barely had time to react. "AH-!" Akane was suddenly grabbed up by the monster's tentacle and pulled up. It was only by sheer luck that she was able to cut her way out using the aether beam saber rifle. The mishhumachina dropped it's stealth and began to open fire with it's gauss canons at the team. Haruki fired off a quick round from her bazooka which forced the Mishhumachina to move. It's fire went wide but was still a danger to both Tsuya and Haruki.

Tsuya strafed to the side, away from the shot and around the mishhumachina's side. She advanced at the same time, then, once she was in range, unloaded a burst with her flamethrower.

The flames from Tsuya's flamethrower caught the Mishhumachina but it's shielding was more than enough to absorb the damage. Haruki dodged as well but was thwarted in her attempt to line up another shot. Instead she fired off several mini-missiles which burst around the Mishhumachina and created interference and cover. Akane took that moment to try and attack where Tsuya had fired. The moment Akane's saber got closer though a wave of tentacles forced her to abandon the attack as well. "Tsuya-chan! More fire over on the backside! Haruki, hit from top! I'll try and get it from this side again!" Akane told her team mates.

"Hai, Akane-sempai!" This time Tsuya dashed underneath the mishhu, or tried, at least, firing her weapon at its underside and tentacles.

The Mishhumachina underbelly held a very nasty surprise which it employed against Tsuya. A flame thrower much like her own which spewed superheated plasma fire at her.

As it passed over her the burst just barely missed her but caught a good bit of her barrier. Her rear barrier was orange but she was still intact. Haruki dodged upward and avoided more rounds from the gauss canons. Keeping it from acquiring a target lock she fired off two more rounds. It used it's tentacles to swat away one round but the other managed to hit, knocking it off balance a bit. The barriers however held on and Akane made another dash at the monster.

Unfortunately while she tried to fly and slide horizontally she was not fast enough and got one of her legs caught. The monsther swung her away but not without ripping off her leg below the knee.

Tsuya expected to be damaged by her latest move, but she winced as she realized just how much of a blow she'd caught from the robot's matching weapon. She supposed it could have been much worse, though, as she emerged from the underbelly of the beast, turning quickly around to unload on it with her flamethrower and the missiles in her lower legs.

The flames and missiles forced the Mishhumachina to turn it's attention on her as well but the damage was still negligible to the threat Haruki's bazooka posed. It absorbed the hits while dodging the AP rounds from Haruki. "Keep the pressure on it and give Akane a chance to recover!" Haruki said.

"Hai!" the young neko squawked again. She hunkered down, ceasing the fire from her flamethrower and missiles as she minimized her target area, the pulse cannons in her armor's forearms unfolding to fire at the mishhumachina.

Akane meanwhile was registered as bleeding from the stump of her leg and adjusted her performance accordingly. Akane floated up and veered around to the left to try and take advantage of the distraction.

"Are you okay, Akane-sempai? Do you need more support?!" Tsuya continued to fire her small weapons.

The burst from Tsuya's forearm guns did even less damage to the Mishhumachina than the flamethrower. "Pulse canons!?" Haruki said, in surprise. "Forget those just give me another burst from those missiles again." Akane said as she fired off the remaining missiles from her leg.

"I was only trying to distract him," the grey neko muttered. She unloaded the rest of her missiles as well.

The burst of explosions from the missiles were impressive as they enveloped the Mishhumachina. For a moment it seemed as though it were being swallowed and it was unseen for a second. But that second was unfortunately the moment it needed. With an incredible burst of speed it flew up and out of the smoke and flung itself at Haruki.

Haruki let out a surprised yelp before the tentacled mass grabbed her. Akane and Tsuya were too far away to help and with no way to free herself Haruki was soon torn apart by the robot's tentacles. "Noooooo!" screamed Akane as she brought up her saber rifle to try and attack again but was soon ducking for cover as the Mishhumachina was now staying away and targeting her with it's gauss canons.

"No...!" Tsuya moaned in distress as she watched her comrade be torn to pieces by the robot's tentacles. She dashed forward, trying to get as close to the mishhumachina as she could before unleashing another gout of plasma flame.

The Mishhumachina ignored Tsuya, this time focusing on eliminating each threat individually. With no cover to hide behind it was only a matter of time before Akane was being riddled with projectiles from the enemy's canons. Akane's body would lay limply on the floor and her name would also be grayed out as KIA along with Haruki.

"...oh," the neko mumbled lamely as she saw her other comrade's grisly murder. She simply held the trigger of her weapon down and closed her eyes.

The mishhumachina was alone with Tsuya and was bringing all of it's tentacles to bear on her. They would soon surround her and crush the simulated life out of her when it suddenly paused. Instead of death's embrace Tsuya heard "SIMULATION PAUSED" followed by the voice of Nyton. "Yamada-Hei, why did you quit?"

"...it was about to turn and destroy me, Claymere-Taii. I have no chance by myself against an enemy of this strength."

Nyton tried to pick his next words carefully before his next statement. Drawing from his own experiences were one thing but conveying them was another. "That was no reason to just stand there and die though. How you face these exercises could very well reflect how you react in real life to the same situation."

"...I expect to die in real life, Claymere-Taii."

PAUSE

Re: Life Between Missions 2

Nyton listened to Tsuya's statement and drew a serene face. Taking a few soft breaths he closed his eyes and thought. Here was a soldier fresh from her training and now facing a mission which would make even an experienced soldier feel fear. He shut off a few more of the simulation protocols, removing the simulated power armor so that he could face everyone. Waving the others over he then opened his eyes and looked directly into Tsuya's.

"Everyone fears dying before, during, and even after a mission. A soldier would be a fool not to feel any fear. I would rather fight alongside a soldier who has the courage to overcome their fear than the one who has none. That courage is the true demonstration of a soldier's tenacty - their will to win." Nyton said evenly.

"Victory in battle does not always go to the strongest. In truth it is the one who never gives up that wins. The will and desire to live is the most important weapon you can have. Even if this is just a training exercise you must go through it with the full desire to win. Otherwise you will just be training yourself to die." he continued, walking up to Tsuya until she was only a few steps away.

"Do not train yourself to die. You owe it to yourself not to die because this life that you have is one of the few things in this world that you can call your own. It is up to you to live it to your fulfillment. Now you say that you expect to die but what I ask now is do you want to live?" he asked, drawing closer to Tsuya and with a look, neither hard nor soft but still demanding an answer of the neko before him.

Tsuya crossed her arms as the sim vanished. She felt herself begin to get slightly irritated - did Nyton actually expect her to take down the mishhumachina, all by herself, when all her missiles were spent and everything else barely left a scratch on it? Her eyes were cold and irritated as they met his, her ears flickering wihle she listened to his speech.

"Claymere-taii, I am not training myself to die. If anyone trained me to die, it has been Yamatai. I have been trying to reverse that training in my time here, but it is very difficult when I am put up against an enemy against which I cannot win!" Her normally-quiet voice steadily rose in volume as she spoke, but she was never shouting as Nyton stood in front of her, her eyes boring into his.

Nyton looked down at Tsuya not intentionally but simply due to their height. He almost cracked a bit of a smile at her complaint in regards to fighting an overpowered opponent. He remained solid though, exuding only stiff resolve. "Oh I see. So you believe the exercise is a little bit unfair then?" he replied as he narrowed his eyes.

"I suppose when we go to fight the real enemy we should ask them if they would be so polite as to fight fairly maybe even give us a handicap and tie one of their arms behind their back? I have to admit that is a novel approach in war." Nyton continued with a serious tone of voice.

"These exercises are to prepare you for what we will all be possibly facing once we engage Eve's forces. Yes we will die in these simulations. A LOT. But with every run, with every trial I am hoping that we all push ourselves to get better until we can win." he then explained evenly. As soon as he was done though he then shifted his stance a bit and turned a bit to the side while still facing her.

"However, if you are going to complain that this is too hard maybe you should try fighting something easier. I have an idea, how about me? Do you think I would be an easier opponent? Maybe you would like to go a few rounds with me and find out." Nyton then offered.

Tsuya clamped down as hard as she could on the rage filling her at Nyton's condescending words - it was all she could do to keep herself from lashing out at him, verbally or otherwise. It only got worse as he continued, until she finally spoke, her words clipped and angry.

"If you are as cocky on the battlefield as you are speaking to your subordinates, then I think taking you down would be far, far easier than the lowliest Mishhuvurthyar, Claymere-taii."

Nyton listened to Tsuya and had to withhold his smile. The last fight with Wazu had left him unfulfilled. "Then by all means come and test that idea out." he said as he moved into a ready stance, bringing up his arms and fists. His legs also shifted out to steady his balance to be readily changed from defense to offense.

"Everyone why don't you take a break. Yamada-Hei apparently needs a boost to her morale." Nyton announced, not even glancing away from the gray skinned neko before him. The other nekos moved away to give them space, not willing to get involved but at the same time somewhat excited to see a real fight. The more aggressive nekos were especially enthusiastic as displayed by Ururu and Akane's broad grins.

Nyton's cybernetic eyes were already calculating data recorded from his observations of Tsuya's movements. Her reach, speed, agility, movements, and other physical prowess data was being crunched by his internal computers to ready him for an attack from any direction.

"Your move, Yamada-Hei."

Tsuya blinked a couple of times. She hadn't expected him to actually respond to her irritated challenge - but her blood was running hot now, and she wouldn't back down from this fight. She waited for him to prepare, watching him; this was going to be a hard one. He was more than a foot taller than her, more muscular, and weighed more. She hunkered down into her own preparatory position, eyeing the bigger man as the other nekos stepped back.

She wasted no time when he offered her the first move. His hands were up over his chest, his legs in a wide stance, so she simply got down and bullrushed him, putting all her body weight into slamming into his stomach and hips.

Nyton braced and caught Tsuya's launch. The impact of Tsuya's body against Nyton's was like ramming into a living wall. With a quick motion Nyton wrapped his left arm around her chest and clapped her ear with his right open palm to disorient her. After smacking the side of her head he used his leverage to plant his right hand on her back and slam her down into the floor putting all of his strength and weight into the motion. Akane and Ururu both let out expressions of shock or pain as they saw what happened. The others just watched with a hint of excitement.

Tsuya was now being pinned down by Nyton on the floor. His upper body was positioned over her head and back so that her face was planted against the floor. "I can tell the Mishhu are in real trouble now." he goaded. Her behavior was bordering on insubordinate but he decided it would be condoned if only for the furthering of her education. Depending on her attitude the lesson could be a painful one.

Tsuya kept pushing as Nyton grabbed her, undaunted by his size. She let out a small, pained squeak as her oversized and oversensitive ear was hit, though, and the pain and confusion that followed made it easy for him to take her down. Only more pain followed, and she let out another agonized sound as he suddenly smashed her into the ground. Her arm had been folded underneath her as he threw her down, and the weight of both their bodies was rewarded with a nasty crack as it broke. As he pinned her, she struggled underneath him, trying to lash up at him with her good elbow and legs, using the momentum of the flailing to attempt to roll over.

The sound of the snap was picked up by Nyton's ears. As Tsuya flailed about he decided to use the advantage of her broken arm. Sliding his left arm which was still around her he slipped his hand around the broken arm's wrist. Using his cybernetic hand he locked it in place and began to pull at it to use the pain from the break to further disorient her. At the same time he used his right arm to better stabilize his hold on her and thwart her efforts to escape. Meanwhile he began to press his abdomen down to pin Tsuya's face against the floor and smother her.

Akane watched what was happening and suddenly grew concerned. "Uh, Taii, are you trying to kill her?" she asked in concern but not quite certain that was happening. Nyton bared down hard to make sure he wasn't about to let up. "That depends on her. I will kill her if she gives up though. We have no use for someone who won't keep struggling. May as well finish her off now before she becomes a liability in battle." he managed to say between a few grunts.

Don't give up on me Tsuya. You won't learn anything if you're dead. Nyton thought to himself as he continued to apply pressure to try and choke out Tsuya.

The young neko yowled like a wounded animal as Nyton used the strength of his cybernetic arm to yank on her broken one. Her noises of pain were muffled as her face was pressed into the floor, though, and they slowly diminished in volume as her vision started to black out. She raised her good arm and, with all the rapidly-vanishing might she had left, tried to claw her fingers into his eyes.

Nyton saw the hand rapidly approaching him, claws aiming for his eyes, and immediately released. He escaped by rolling several feet away from Tsuya and quickly kicked his feet out. The motion allowed him to stand up, on his feet and ready. Back at the combat ready he looked down and prepared for Tsuya's next move.

"Don't give up, Tsuya-chan! Keep fighting!" Ururu encouraged while the other nekos continued to grow excited by the fight. A couple had worried expressions but were enthralled nonetheless.

Tsuya wasted no time in moving - in fact, she was on her knees and good hand before Nyton had even stood up again, taking the opportunity as she moved to gasp in life-giving air, her pale face regaining its usual "color." She, too, pushed forward with her legs, again flinging herself bodily at her superior officer, this time wrapping around his legs like a small and angry lamprey. She bit and kicked and punched, striking at whatever she could get in her attempt to bring him to the floor, her elbow jabbing at the insides of his knees.

With an inward smile Nyton was pleased to see Tsuya's firm resolve. That's the way. Now that she's a little more serious it's time to kick it up a notch. he thought.

With Tsuya only having one good arm to try and elbow the backs of his knees her efforts to wrap around him with her body were quite impressive. Unfortunately she was already at the disadvantage. Nyton waited for the exact moment when Tsuya struck the back of his knee with her elbow. As soon as the impact was made he quickly sank down to his knees and trapped her good arm with his legs. Simultaneously he moved his left hand to grab her neck. Nyton quickly removed the safety calibration from his cybernetic fingers so they immediately sank deep into the flesh, cutting off her air once again. Now with her flank exposed Nyton immediately began hammer striking non-stop with his right fist just below the ribcage near the kidneys. "That was a good effort now. Don't let me down by stopping just yet." he said with a half smile.

Once again their audience was shouting and cheering with more than a few cheers for both of them. The battle had gone from one sided to interesting in a matter of seconds.

The sudden movement trapping her arm surprised Tsuya, but the shock was quickly wiped out by pain as her neck was grabbed in the cold, steely, unrelenting grip of Nyton's robotic hand. Strangled little grunts of pain were all the sound she could manage to make past the vise-like squeeze as he began to punch her. She twisted around, trying desperately to escape; the young neko brought up her broken arm and, gritting her teeth, tried to gouge at Nyton's face again, the motion weaker with pain but still determined. In between agonized grunts, she opened her mouth and tried to sink her teeth into the man's shoulder.

This has gone on long enough. Nyton thought to himself as he tracked Tsuya's hand. Her broken arm was not nearly as quick as her previous attack which attempted to claim his eyes. As a result it was a lot slower and countered. By Nyton's mouth.

As Tsuya tried to swipe at Nyton's face he instead of avoiding it caught her hand with his mouth, biting down his teeth to hold it tightly. He did not have the incisors like a Nekovalkyrja, but he had bitten down on opponents before. Upon catching the opposing hand he ceased the assault with his right fist and used both brute strength and his positional advantage to push himself out. As soon as he had an opening he released his grip on Tsuya's neck and hand, pushing out and rolling away from her until he was a few meters away. Rising to his feet with his back to her he then held a hand up.

"Cease and desist Yamada-Hei. This match is over. Continue this and I will be forced to kill you." Nyton announced, his 360 vision still tracking her to prevent her from surprising him. "Ururu-Hei take Yamada-Hei to medical and have her injuries treated."

Upon hearing the order Ururu immediately rushed forth and went to attend to Tsuya's side to try and pick her up. "Come on Tsuya-chan, lets get you patched up." she said with a look of concern. Not so much for her condition but that she may still try to attack and get herself killed. Given how cruel the Nepleslian could be, the young sprite worried that he would indeed do it.

When Nyton pushed Tsuya away, she just laid there in a heap on the floor, blood oozing from the broken skin of her hand. She felt unasked-for tears prickling at her eyes, and didn't have the strength or will left to wipe them away. When Ururu came to help her up, though, she grunted and waved the other neko away, hauling herself to her feet instead. She was a mess - she held her broken arm to her chest with the good one, wheezing softly to catch her breath as bruises slowly formed around her neck. Her posture was half-hunched due to the repeated punches to her kidneys.

"I hate you, Claymere-taii, you... you..." Tsuya didn't finish her sentence, instead simply glaring daggers at the Nepleslian and limping off, away from him and the other nekos.

Nyton just stood there, unmoving as he watched Tsuya's departure. Ururu went with her, escorting her even if not helping to carry her. Even if he wasn't looking his cybernetic vision still recorded the movement. He saw her glare and heard her spite. It was both cold and warm at the same time. He stayed that way until she was gone, the other nekos also unmoving throughout the spectacle. Once the doors closed the rest of the team finally began to move as though they were holding their breath.

"Sir-!" began Akane.

"If her will is strong she will recover. If hating me makes her forget her fears then so be it. I will be hard because the enemy most assuredly is hard. I just hope for everyone's sakes that I'm hard enough to make you harder. Now lets continue." Nyton announced.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile Ururu was walking by Tsuya, watching her to make sure she didn't collapse and hurt herself further. At the same time she tried to encourage the wounded neko as best as she could. "Tsuya-chan, don't let that jerk Nep get to you. He's just a stiff bastard who hasn't ever gotten laid. Only reason he even gets away with so much is because he's the Taisa's pet." Ururu mentioned to Tsuya while walking beside her.

Once they were out of Nyton's sight, Tsuya's face collapsed into a grimace of pain, the tears streaking even more copiously down her face. She leaned on Ururu with a small sound of pain and sniffled.

"...he beat me so easily, Ururu-hei... I... I am no soldier..."

Ururu brushed aside a lock of black hair from her face before gently placing her arms around Tsuya. Being mindful of the broken arm she hugged her gently while supporting her weight. "Oh Tsuya-chan, don't go saying that. You just had a bad fight and with a really mean guy is all. He's just being a big bully. You're still a soldier no matter what he says." Ururu said trying to comfort the pain filled neko.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back