• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: SSS Journeymen 3 [Mission 1.0] Baptism of Fire and Ice

A light shown from the back of the damaged module, it was obviously a flashlight.

Helena called out, "We're in the back area the water is lower here. We have the injured up on equipment to keep them out of the water. Do you have a stretcher or something to carry them?"

Alice gave Sakura and Satoshi a nod and started carefully moving forward. "I am coming to you. Stay where you are," she shouted at Heleny and went towards the shining light. Alice utilised the flashlights one her own suit and started moving forward.

Sakura gave a slow nod and followed at a brisk pace behind Alice, her pistol held firmly in her hand as she scanned the area for any hostiles, she gulped once though when she thought she she heard something.

Satoshi followed the ladies in surveying the damage as he proceeded. He could easily see the scientists at the end of the module. All of the ones standing were thoroughly soaked he could see their lips were turning blue from the exposure to the cold water. He also saw the three injured persons were above the water level lying on some of the equipment.

"Ma'am, the water if it continues to rise at the same rate will reach the injured in about twenty minutes." he offered.

Alice frowned as she made her way towards the injured. This was bad and it will get worse soon. "Good to know Satoshi." She replied as she carefully proceeded. "We don't have any stretchers, so we will have to use table or something. Sakura please go get Kenshin. This will need man's strong hands. I hope you are good for heavy-lifting Satoshi. Let's get going folks."

Satoshi smiled, "I do not foresee any problem with lifting the injured ma'am. Their on file weights are well within my capabilities."

Sakura gave a quick nod of the head, she turned back toward the entrance to the buildinged. "Kenshin, we need yer strong arms please," she smiled, sending the trnsmission to the man and seeing if he would respond.

"Be right there." Kenshin replied a moment later. When he entered the entrance of the damaged CRDM he was carrying a rectangular piece of metal. "Cut this from some of the damaged equipment. Figure we can use it as stretcher so Satoshi and I can lift them out and keep them above the water."

SSS Expedition site, Damaged CRDM
ON

Alice made her way forward through the water, she used light on her suit to get through with damage. Before anyone would be moved she need to at them anyway. "I am almost there!" She shouted ahead. "Hang on!"

Helena turned towards Alice. "We're hanging on, but we need to get the injured out of here quickly. And have you heard from the second team down at the dig?"

Alice moved to the Helena. "We just got here, we will see about the dig-site once we get the wounded out of here. Show them to me first, my mates are coming with something to carry them on." Alice said and waded through the water forward to see the wounded.

A quick look showed that none of the scientists had come through the damage to the compact rapid deployment module that served as the command center without some injury. All of them had bumps, bruises, contusions and lacerations. The most serious were the ones with several members of the expedition tending to them. The interior of the CRDM was a mess, shattered equipment hung from ceiling mounts, and the supplies were strewn across the interior and most of them floated. The medical bed is under water, so the patients are lying on boxes that they have placed on the bed and the other tables in the medical section.

Chikai followed Alice, "So I presume you want to check them before we move them. Satoshi and I will stand over hear until needed."

Sakura followed close behind, watching her step to ensure that she didn't fall and possibly hurt herself and become part of the problem and not a solution. When she saw some of the injuries, it made her wonder just what had actually happened to cause such a thing. "What do you want me to do?" she asked nervously, gripping the medical kits handle more tightly.

Chikai waited paitently for the medical people to give the okay to transport the injured. He wanted to say something to Alice, but she was the medic so he decided to let things be for the moment.

Kage kept vigil as the others did their jobs to make sure that all of the people including the injured were safe. As he watched he thought about home and family as he was always fond of doing while he was training. "Do you guys need any help?" He asked the team medic.

Outside the module there was plenty of noise and movement. There was the constant sound of water splashing, and ice creaking and cracking.
So far none of the ursine creatures showed themselves but Kage could hear their calls amounts all the background noise.

"Please stay on watch Kage-san," Alice replied and looked over the injured quickly. One had his head injured badly, but there was not much Alice could do about that. She took a medical light and checked his eye-reaction. "When were they hurt? How long are they like this?" Alice asked Helen. The medic saw one of the woman, her leg was fixed so Alice expected a broke bone. "Sakura please check that woman," she said and pointed at the injured girl.

Helena looked at her watch, "The thawing started yesterday, But we had no idea how severe it was going to be, we simply thought it was a spring thaw. We were going to take readings on the sun this morning, But then the avalanche hit. That was about six hours ago. Doctor Gates has been conscious intermittently. At first we have them on the floor until the water started coming in.

Kage kept hearing those ursine creatures and he was nervous. How he had scared them and what he scared them with, he was afraid that he had made them angrier then they would normally be. "Might want to hurry up. Those creatures that we scared off earlier sound a bit more numerous this time and I think that they may be angry that I killed one of them." He said with concern.

Alice grunted, she did not like what she saw. Man's eye pupils did not react very well to light. He had at least concussion, possibly damage to his nervous system. Alice quickly put a medical collar around his neck. "OKay that this one to the Spark. And be careful, do not move him around too much. Then come back fast, Kenshin let Satoshi lead. He has better eyes and body coordination." Alice said and moved to the other woman.

Bella Moone said the tag on her uniform. Alice could easily see bloody on it too. She started examining the wound and did not like what she saw. Multiple lacerations, but that was not as a problem as a wound under woman's left breast. It most likely hit her lung. Alice, took off her helmet and put her cheek before the woman's mouth. She felt breath, but only slight. That meant that the lung probably did not collapse. Otherwise the woman would not stay alive for six hours.

Alice then worked swiftly applying gel bandage to the lacerations and then carefuly trating the puncture wound. This one will be problem to take to the Spark. Alice was sure of it.

Kenshin moved up with the improvised stretcher, and with Satoshi's help moved the Doctor on to it. They then lifted the patient and started making their way out of the CRDM. It was slow moving since the footing inside the module was uncertain between water and invisible objects. However, they made it safely to the exit. The next challenge was to get the patient up to the craft. There was no easy way to lift so Kenshin activated his communicator. "Raquel bring the Spark down as low as you can about 10 meters north of my position. Water is about 1 meter deep so stay above it. Satoshi and I will meet you there to load the patient."

Raquel started moving the Tenba-Class to the designated spot before replying. "On my way Kenshin." she replied.

Sakura watched and learned, keeping her eyes on Alice and the others as they worked, she was truly nervous about all of this and the expression on her face showed it. When she heard Alice's statement she nodded and went over to the other injured girl to inspect her injuries.

Bella's vitals started to flucuate and she started having difficulty breathing.

When the Spark was close enough Kenshi and Satoshi hefted the injured person it. They then scrambled into the craft and then continued to carry her into the back and onto one of the sofa's, They put a regular and emergency blanket over the vicitm, then headed back to the others.

OFF

ON
Alice did not like this at all.The girl was starting to have trouble breathing, did her lung inflate or did water got in? If it was water, Alice could perhaps suck it out, but she could not do much with inflated lung. Alice took her medical scanner and gave it a go, hoping it will tell her what was wrong.

The scanner showed that the injured long had collapsed probably due to fluid build up. She needed to insert an IV tube into the lung and then seal the wound around it, then create suction that would drain the bodily fluids from the lung and allow it to work properly.

"Darn it, she has a liquid in her lung," Alice said out lout and digged into her medical bag. "Sakura I need your help, you need to hold the medical scanner for me. I will need to work with it when I cut and insert a tube. I need to suck it out." She said, looking at the girl and taking her helmet off. She then took a scalpel and cut the woman clothing and bandage to get to the wound.

"Helen is Bella Nepleslian, Minkan or maybe Geshrin? I need to know if I can use hemosynth with her or not." Alice asked as she worked.
Sakura gave a nod and held the scanner firmly as Alice had instructed.
Kage continued his watch as usual and made sure that things were okay. He was still worried about the creatures that he had scared off. "Kenshi, how much longer do you think this is going to take?" He asked with a nervous voice. He wasn't sure but he felt like those creatures that he had scared off were getting closer and had greater numbers.
Helen looked at Alice, "She is a Nepleslian, most of this team is. Most of us never saw the need to switch to the other bodies. After this mission, I might reconsider that decision." She said.

Kenshin sent a message to Raquel to run a life form scan and to relay the data to him. As he approached Kage his communicator chirped. He took a look at the data.

"Kage, there are currently two groups of those ursines. He showed him the sensor data. "Raquel can keep you updated as to their position. "Can't say how long it will take because we can't transport the injured until Alice says we can."

Alice heard the chatter in the radio. "I have women with liquid in her lung, we cannot move. Just give Satoshi gun or something." Alice said and returned her attention to the woman. "Hold it steady Sakura-chan." She added and smiled at the brave girl. Alice cut a little into the wound, and immediately a little blood came out. Alice wiped it out and started inserting the IV tube inside. Alice could really only go by them edical scanner, and the fact she was treating a woman did not help as her breasts was simply in a way. "Sakura or Helen, please push her breast aside so I have more room."

Helen reached over and did as Alice requested. "Bella, you stay with us dear, you don't want me to have to fill out all that paperwork now do you."

Kenshin stood nearby with their Android to transport as soon as Alice had the woman stabilized.

Meanwhile Kage was receiving information that the two groups of ursines were on the move. One of them seemed headed towards the group.
Alice took a deep breath and started inserting the tube in the wound. "Here we go," she said as she was watching the scanner, making sure the tube goes in right way. "This is going to suck," she then added and took of her helmet, putting it aside on the table. She then proceeded to suck the fluid in any way she could. In her mouth and then spit it out.
Satoshi watched Alice work, this was not a procedure in his database, so he was watching and learning, he made a note to request an update to include emergency medical procedures.

After a minute or so, Alice had removed enough fluid for the lung to inflate properly on the next inhale. A sucking sound could be heard coming from the tube. With each subsequent breath Bella's vital signs showed improvement.

Alice wiped her mouth and spitted around for a bit. She never tasted anything so bad before, but it needed to be done. The girl forced herself not to throw up and looked at others as she started to seal the would again. "Okay you can take her to the Spark. But be very very gentle." She said and looked at Helen. "What about the people under the water in that alien ship? Got anyway to contact them? Any injuries you know about?"

"We'll carry her like she was made of egg shells." Kenshin said, with Satoshi helping they got the patient onto the gurney and started making their way to the Spark.

Helen looked at Alice. "We had a cable connection. The hull of the derelick they were exploring made radios pretty much useless. I'm sure the cable is still out there, but the gear in here is smashed obviously. Plus the folks would be trapped most likely. We attached an air tight door so we could keep stuff out. But it opens outward, and is manual. It is probably under water, so they probably can not open it even if they wanted do the the weight of the water."

Alice nodded, that was a viable way of communication. Unless the cable got cut. "Okay where is the cable?" Alice asked the woman. "We could get it to our ship and try to get in touch with the people in the ship. But first let's get you there and warmed up before you get hypothermia."
Helen "Sounds like a good idea to me. We can carry the last one so we can get out of the water quicker." With a wave of her hand, the other Scientists lifted the other injured by forming a chair with their interlocked arms. Once they cleared the doorway, Helen let the other move forward and she went to the side of the module. She dipped under the water for a moment and came up with the cable. "Well I guess I just had my bath." she said to Alice. "Here is the cable, standard data configuration. So you should be able to connect to the external port on your craft." she handed the cable to Alice and moved forward.

Once the scientists reached the Tenba Kenshin and Satoshi helped them to get inside. Satoshi quickly went in to start tending to the damp and chilled serving hot beverages and blankets.

Kenshin surveyed the area as he waited for Kage and the others. "Better hustle looks like some of those creatures are coming back." He yelled to them.

Alice packed her medical back again as the scientist were taking other wounded outside. She then accepted the cable from Helen with a nod. Dragging the cable carefully after her she followed the group. There she found kenshin.

"Hey, this cable here should make us able to talk with scientists trapped inside the alien ship." She told him, handing him the cable. "Yer the engineer you know what to do with it. I will help Kage hold guard meanwhile." She said, handing the medical back to someone in the ship while she took her rifle and went to Kage.

Kenshin looked at the cable, it was pretty standard communications cabling, the kind for wiring intercoms and the like. He opened a panel in the Sparks airlock and worked on connecting it. After double checking the connection he activated the channel.

Across the speakers the sound of people speaking could be heard.
"Expedition members, this is Kenshin of the SSS Transporter SPARK. We are here to assist. What is you status?" he said into the intercom.

"Glad to hear a voice. There are eight of us together. We are okay the door is keeping the water out, but we can not open it. There is too much water. Also one of our members was outside we can raise him on the comms."

There were two of the Ursines approaching the damaged module one of them was 'stalking' Kage.

OFF

Sakura gulped, following Alice and having her pistol pulled. She was still quite nervous, afraid. Her ears perked up slightly, listening to the surrounding noise, her eyes fixed on any sudden movements that might indicate trouble.

One of the two closing ursine appeared on top of a large boulder. The creature let out a loud bellow and charged down the boulder heading towards Sakura.

Raquel at the controls of the Spark deftly fired one of the Tenba-Class Transporters weapons at the lead attacking animal. The creature exploded into a mass of chunks of meat and fur. The other animals frightened by the blast took of to other points.

With the last two members aboard, Raquel moved the craft deeper into the valley to where the rest of the scientists were trapped.

While surveying the site, Alice and Sakura saw to the first members, getting them settled into the passenger area. Satoshi their android was distributing hot food and drinks to the non-injured ones. Once the injured expedition members were secured and she was confident they were stable. Alice joined the others in the flight deck.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back