• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: 21st Fighter Sq [Mission 1.1] Defense of Ryou

From all the attention she was giving to Silic's condition, she almost forgot about the radio. "Oh shoot!" She crawled over and grabbed the mic, "This is Munkata-Hei. Vas-Hei is currently unconscious, uhm...he has, uhm, a lot of bruises, and scratches. He has two large swelling bulges, one on his head, the other on his side. Uh, oh shoot! He's breathing, steady heart rate, uh, I bandaged some stuff, but I don't know how long it will last." She was clearly panicking and about ready to pass out from stress. She dropped the radio and crawled back over to where Silic was. She continued to bandage random scratched or broken-looking parts on his body as she waited for help.

“I am not questioning your judgment Doc.” Ira said in a some what more commanding voice. It was at this moment that Munkata-Hei piped up over the radio. Ira motioned with his thumb as she spoke. Her voice was audibly stressed and freaked. “You want to keep her focused on us. If she screws up and moves Vas-Hei the wrong way she could accidently kill him.”

Ira was no fool, and he was not taking Doc for a fool, Ira just knew that keeping calm and cool was the best way to keep Silic alive. Panicking and jumping the gun and putting stressed out Munkata-hei was a variable Ira was not comfortable with. Due to his rank he was effectively in command.

“Don’t make me make it an order Doc.” Ira said as he continued piloting the craft towards the homing beacon. “Just get her focused on talking to you.”

The shuttle flew through the air on a direct course for the homing beacon. Another two minuets was all Silic needed to be in safe hands. But when it came to a man’s life, two minuets may as well be two hours.

"Excuse me sir, but Atsui-Chui gave Doc the orders to provide medical attention at the site. Not us. We're here to get Doc there and back with the personnel. He's trained for these situations, and he has a better grasp of the knowledge involved than you or I. With all due respect sir, I think you should just let him do his job and land the damn shuttle." Kail said, bordering on her drill instructor tone.

Why were they fighting over who should talk? Were they children? Let the Doctor do his job, and if somebody died, it was still the damn Squids' fault as long as he performed to the best of his knowledge. Meddling with it could cause somebody to die.

---------

The Shuttle quickly arrived at where Silic and Munkata-Hei were. Fortunately, the spot where they had come down was just big enough for Ramirez to land in as well.

As the shuttle approached Silic was becoming weaker, his breathing became strained and shallow, his lungs slowly tiring until he was almost gasping for small breathes. While others were arguing, he lay dying.

An audible beep emitted from the consol as if the shuttle was consciously silencing the argument. “We are here.” Ira said as he began descending down almost on top of Silic and Yaeko. “This is going to get kind of rough.” Ira said ignoring the drill instructor and moving on to a much more pressing issue landing a shuttle into a thick under brush. Ira could have looked for a clearing, but that would have wasted time, he raised the shuttle’s shields and moved twelve meters away from the beacon and brought the shuttle down. The snapping of tree limbs could be heard through the forest. Ira deployed landing but left the shuttle on. The door opened “Go ahead Doc, I will get the gurney.” Ira got up from his seat and pulled a gurney from the wall of the shuttle.

He would be out of the shuttle door behind the Doc.

As the sound of breaking branches and the shuttles engines growing closer, a large spotted feline darted out of the bushes near Yaeko. The feline was nearly as long as Yaeko was tall. It leaped over Yaeko in an easy bound and vanished into the dense vegetation on the other side.

Minoru bit back a terse and rather rude reply as he passed Ira on the way out. Tarim-Juni was right of course. He had bigger things to worry about. He could afford to be petty and spiteful later.

The doctor grabbed the medical scanner and some basic trauma supplies on his way down. Munkata-Hei's description of the wounds had not been very clear. But he still didn't like what it sounded like. His long stride carried him the few paces neccessary to reach the pair in a heartbeat.

As he knelt by Vas-Hei, Minoru spared a glance in Munkata-Hei's direction. She looked alright beyond a few minor bruises and cuts. The main worry for her was shock now.

"It's going to be alright now Munkata-Hei. We'll get you both back to base and patched up in no time. Juni, can you take Munkata-Hei into the shuttle? Sit her down and give her a glass of water."

Right now he had bigger problems to worry about. Vas-Hei was quickly fading, he didn't need a vital-sign monitor to figure that out. He muttered to himself as he cast his eye over the various wounds.

"Third degree burns on the right arm near the shoulder. Congruous with NSP damage."

Ironically looking like the least of his worries that.

"Patient unresponsive to stimuli."

Before anything else he tilted Vas-Hei's head back, exposing the neck and straightening out the airway, to ease the passage of air. The doctor also arranged the Oral airway kit he brought with him, threading the tubes carefully down the throat while he fitted the mask over his mouth, turning the system on and sending purified oxygen directly to the lungs. Taking a hypo-spray injector, he loaded it up with a heavy duty non-narcotic general analgesia, injecting it into Vas-Hei's uninjured shoulder. There was a major artery close to the skin there, and that would quickly carry the pain killer throughout the entire body.

"Patient has suffered severe head trauma..."

He took off the man's sunglasses and held open the eyelids. If the pupils were of different sixes then that would mean possible sever brain damage. As it was, he was greeted only by the cold stare of metal implants.

"Unable to approximate severity of head trauma."

He took out the medical scanner kit, loading the injector up with scanner nanomachines before injecting them into the jugular. The artery would carry the nanomachines much more efficiently to the brain, without having to divert through the heart or swim against the blood flow. He gave the control pad a few taps to send the scanners to image the brain while he slapped a booster patch onto the man's skin.

He moved on to the chest wound. One breath. Two. He watched as even against the splint the affected portion of chest swelled when Vas-Hei exhaled and subsided during inhalation.

"Paradoxical motion confirmed. Flail chest."

And now he was really worried. A portion of the rib-cage wall had broken and was now floating without support. The paradoxical motion he was seeing was the lung itself pressing outwards. With almost undue haste he unstrapped the knife on his flight suit and cut apart the splint. He couldn't fault Munkata-Hei's motives for it, but splinting flail chest only caused the lung to brush up harder against the edges of broken bone. He had to consider that Vas-Hei's lungs were lacerated.

He needed a ventilator and a chest tube. Something to help him regulate the thoracic pressure now. Unfortunately he hadn't found anything of the sort in the Medical kit inside the shuttle. He glanced at the control pad for the medical scanner as they imaged Vas-Hei's brain for him. There was inter-cranial pressure build up. And he could see the distinctive marks of lesions forming on the brain itself. This was just getting better and better. Quickly he diverted some of the nanomachines to check on Vas-Hei's lung. He needed to see if there were any lacerations. He looked up at Ira, his face a cold, surgical mask.

"Ramirez, help me get him on the gurney and then prep the shuttle. We need him in an intensive care unit. Now."

All thought of decorum, proper address, rank. All of it was thrown out the window. Time was of the essence, Vas-Hei had two separate life-threatening injuries both of which required surgery and both of which needed equipment he simply didn't have. He prayed with all his might that time was not one of them.

Kail took Munkata around the shoulders, and began to try to lead her off toward the shuttle.

"Ejection seats aren't fun at all, are they?" Kail said with a small grin. "You did good, Munkata-Hei. Real good. Just sit down eh, and have some rest?"

Ira did not even respond to the Doc. He did not even mention the fact that their were bullet marks on the tree where Silic had made his crash landing. He was simply reacted and helped Doc put Vas-Hei onto his gurney. Then wasting no time Ira would help Doc haul the battered body of Silic back to the shuttle.

They were moving quickly at this point, but Ira had the unshakable feeling that they were being watched. In no time they made it to the shuttle, at which point Ira helped load Silic up and began aiding Doc in securing him to the deck of the shuttle.

Ira had left the shuttle running just incase Silic was this bad, so launching was not much of an issue. He would let Kail and Yaeko board, and immediately take off.

“Ramirez-Shoi to Solitare, Ramirez-Shoi to Solitare.” Ira said over the intercom. “We have successfully retrieved Munkata-Hei and Vas-Hei. Vas-Hei is in critical condition, we are going to need a trauma unit waiting for us when we land.” He then began lifting off before continuing to speak."

Yaeko follows Kail into the shuttle and sat down. "I'll be fine, really..." Her breathing was still fairly rapid. "I just need to sit and...and...calm down." All of the sudden she started grinning and then laughing a bit to herself. "I guess I should have payed attention to those first aid classes you gave me at Fort Ready, eh?"

Minoru braced himself as they lifted off before setting to work again. Unfortunately there was not much that he could do about the brain trauma and flail chest here aside from making him comfortable and putting a coldpack onto his head. But he could at least take care of some other things. Like that energy burn for instance.

Rubbing some anti-septic onto the under portion of his patient's lower arm, he carefully injected the IV needle that would help supply Silic with nutrients. Washing his hands and putting sterile gloves on he then carefully peeled away the wrappings Munkata had put over the burn. Certainly cauterized, as the charred flesh attested, and it wasn't bleeding any more. But one still couldn't be too careful. He redressed the wound, applying anti-biotics to it before applying a liquid bandage. After the surgery for his chest and head wounds he could come back to the burn, cut off the charred portions with a laser scalpel and then allow some Hemosynth to do its work helping Silic's body heal itself.

As it was there were, of course, more urgent injuries that needed caring for. As bad as it looked, the burn was a minor wound in comparison.

"Don't worry about that now," Kail said with an amused smile, "Just take a rest, alright?"

With that, Kail helped Yaeko board, and sit down. "But don't think any of this excuses you from duty later, though."

"Solitaire here Ramirez-Shoi. Roger that on Vas-Hei's condition. Lock onto my fighter's beacon. It will lead you straight to the Ryou Medical Center. Their trauma center is standing by to receive. Have Doc transmit the patient conditions to my fighter, I'll give it to the medical personnel here. So they can be fully prepared." Atsui replied.

Not good, our first sortie out and we could possibly lose a man. Damn it, how the hell did the Mishhu find us? she thought as she paced beside her fighter. Wait he only mentioned Vas-Hei.

Reactivating the fighters comm, "Solitaire to Ramirez-Shoi, what is Munkata-Hei's status?"

“Her nerves are wrecked but other wise not a scratch.” Ira responded as the flew through the sky at its maximum speed. “I will have Doc send his data through any second, that way the trauma unit can be prepared for this.” Then shut the comm off and spoke to Doc. "Can you transmit the to Solitaire, so she can get the trauma unit ready for Vas-Hei. Better do it soon because we are almost there.

Ira's eyes glanced over Munkata-Hei who had voiced she was feeling fine, but you could tell she still had the shakes.

"Thanks Juni," Yaeko responded with a smile. She sat forward in her seat and slowly sipped on her water. "How's Silic? Is he okay? I know I screwed up a couple times and I just want to make sure I didn't cause any permanent damage. I don't know what I would do if he died because of me." Yaeko started tearing up a bit but she turned away from Kail so he wouldn't see her.

Atsui stood by her fighter, her head titled upward scanning the sky for any sign of the fighter. It was her tradition to stand and wait until all her craft returned from an operation, or were accounted for. It was not the craft that she was concerned about, expensive as they may be, they could be easily replaced. It was the people who flew them. Two of her people had been shot down, one of them seriously injured. Until she had eyes on Silic and Yaeko she would remain here.

"Copy that."

Minoru swiftly pushed the vital sign display to one corner of the dataslate he was holding, using the rest to create the status update. While actually talking to Solitaire would have been more personal, a text update was faster and less prone to misinterpretation. Especially since it was going to be relayed. The trauma unit arriving should be well trained enough to have everything he would need to treat Vas-Hei, so he wouldn't need anything more than to transmit the types of injuries along with other basic information.

'Species: Nepleslian

Head Injury: Increased Intercranial pressure, Diffuse Axonal Injury, lesions forming in brain.

Left Shoulder: Third Degree burn wound, consistent with NSP damage patterns.

Left Chest: Flail Chest, three ribs detached from cage wall. Minor lacerations, left lung.

Patient has mechanical prosthetics: Left arm, eyes.'

Appending a chart detailing Vas-Hei's latest vital signs, Minoru sent the report to Solitaire to be relayed to the medical staff. He looked over his patient once more. It didn't look like he would be getting much sleep tonight...

Solitaire upon receiving Minoru's transmission, handed the data to the trauma team. The head doctor began calling out instructions to his people, including getting an emergency operating room ready. After issuing his orders he turned to Atsui and said, "Commander, we'll do our best. I'm going to scrub for surgery. If your medical personnel want to assist that is fine." With that he turned and briskly walked back into the medical center disappearing from view behind the closing doors.

"Doc, Solitaire. The team here are preparing, they'll be taking Vas-Hei straight into surgery." she sent. She may not have been a medic but she had first aid and seen enough injuries in her time in the service to know that it was Silic was in a bad way. His fate was soon to be in the hands of the trained professionals.

Ira was pushing the shuttle as hard as he could, and having locked on to Solitarie’s beacon had made his landing some what easier. The shuttle came to a hover above the Solitarie and hovered for a second. Ira then adjusted and landed the shuttle.

The hatches all popped open, and he would turn around and simply watch the professionals rush in and no doubt take Silic away where he could be properly healed.

Ira would then look at Doc and nod his head up and down. “Sorry about busting your shit.”

Yaeko quietly waited for the ship to land and then paused for a minute or two before slowly standing up and walking off the ship. She spotted Atsui off to the side and slowly approached. She bowed as was customary and then started into a ramble. "Chui, I'm really sorry. It's my fault the fighter crashed, I wasn't paying attention for Kamikazes and I should have made sure Silic was properly strapped in before we took off. And I screwed up treating him, I didn't get him down properly, I probably injured him more, and...and I'm just really really sorry." She looked down at the floor expecting to get yelled at.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back