• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: 21st Fighter Sq [Mission 1.1] Defense of Ryou

Minoru glanced over at Ira as he walked past, accompanying his patient out. He waved the apology off.

"No idea what you're talking about."

Other than that he kept himself busy checking and rechecking vital signs, ensuring that Vas-Hei was not fading too quickly, assisting in hooking up a mobile ventilator that had been wheeled up, and other sundry things to keep his mind busy.

It wasn't until he was actually at the OR, exchanging a curt nod with the head doctor that he officially handed his patient over along with the dataslate containing the information and notes he had compiled on the injuries. While of course he knew how to perform the surgeries that Vas-Hei needed, the attending physicians would not know him. And in such a delicate situation a crystal clear line of authority was needed. The head doctor would know everyone in that room and know just how fast they were. They were trained for this. Or so Minoru reassured himself.

"Godspeed, doctor."

With that he left the head doctor to attend to the OR and found himself a nice bench in the lobby to sit down in, all the adrenaline draining from his system. He felt exhausted...

Atsui walked over to the shuttle after the medical team had transferred Silic. She stepped in, "Ramirez, Munkata, go back and retrieve your Kawarimes, return to Fort Shotou and pack your gear. We've been ordered back aboard Heitan. I will see you up there once we know the status of Cutter and Vas-Hei. Good work guys." She said then, stepped out of the shuttle and walked back to the medical center doorway.

Yaeko got a puzzled look on her face before saying, "Ma'am, how can I retrieve my Kawarime? It's in several hundred pieces somewhere in the forest back there." Yaeko motioned in the direction that they had come from.

Atsui turned to Yaeko she had forgotten that little detail, "Good question, right." It has been one of those days. And there is still the situation with Shin to resolve. Back at the Fort. she thought.

"Okay take my Kawarime back to Fort Shotou and pack your gear. You can catch a shuttle to take you back to the carrier. Kaoy will see to it that you are assigned a new fighter when you get aboard the Heitan. Once our people are out of danager, Doc and I will arrange transportation for them to the carrier, and we'll join you folks up there."

Ira responded to his CO with a soft “Aye Ma’am” stood up exited the shuttle. Once he was in the open air he did a few stretches and then headed off to his Kawarime. Once at his fighter he would do a systems check, finding the fighter was in need of some serious repairs after this little engagement.

The fighter closed up, it then rose up into their air and soon flew off into the sky. The little bird was heading back to the nest after its first mission.

*Ramirez - Shoi has left the thread*

"Aye Ma'am" Yaeko quickly responded. She rushed across the hanger to where the Chui's fighter had landed and climbed into the cockpit. Once she was closed in she started up the Kawarime and began the normal start-up procedure. "Vas-Hei, can you check the...." Yaeko paused and then looked down in shame. "Right..." She took a moment to pull herself back together before finishing her start-up procedure. She put on her headset and the plugged herself into the SPINE system. "See you on the other side Chui. Munkata-Hei, lifting off." The engines blazed as Yaeko's Kawarime slowly lifted off of the ground and then shot off. "Computer, please navigate me back to Fort Shotou. A display appeared which guided her to the fort. Once there she landed and went over to her room to grab her stuff. Good thing I never unpacked.

Minoru stood up, stretching. He felt too restless. Even with all the excitement being over it wasn't as if his job was done just yet. Or at least it didn't feel like it. Impatiently he looked at the sign above the Operating room. Brain surgery to remove those lesions would be a long and complex job, and he wanted. No, needed, to know how his patient and squadmate would turn out.

Turning, he walked out of the lobby in time to see Atsui-Chui send the others off in the shuttle and her fighter. There was a bit too much noise to hear exactly what was being said, but he could make a guess. Back to to Fort Shoto. He strode forward and gave a small bow to his CO.

"Atsui-Chui. Permission to stay here until we have word about Vas-Hei and Cutter?"

"Granted Doc, I was actually heading to the waiting room myself." Atsui said as she headed to the waiting room. She paused briefly to get a cup of coffee from the vending machine. Taking a sip she grimaced slightly. How is it no matter where you get a cup of this stuff from a vending machine it tastes foul. Is it some kind of contractual requirement." she said aloud. Cup in hand she found a place to sit.

"This is the part I hate Doc, waiting after a mission. Waiting before a mission gives you time to think about what could happen. As long as its not too long, its okay. But the waiting after is what I hate. First its waiting to see who returns, and who doesn't. Then there is this waiting, who lives and who dies. Normally it is not that big of an issue. A person dies, we bring them back. But when you have new people who haven't had the benefit of getting a Memory Backup made, you are looking at permanent death."

She paused to take another sip of her coffee. "The Taisho is in a real fit I hear about this whole affair. How the hell the NMX found us out here I don't know. The Squadron has been ordered back aboard the Heitan to await new orders. So you should have some time to get everyone's flight physical and mental backups accomplished." she said then fell silent as she leaned back in her chair.

Doc followed his CO inside, chuckling at her comment about coffee and offering a shrug. He himself simply got a glass of water as he leaned against the wall opposite her.

He listened quietly as she put out her anxiety, taking a few drinks from his glass as he did so, before speaking up.

"There are just some things we can't control. One of the first things they pounded into my head in Med School was that you can do everything right, have everything go absolutely perfectly, and your patient can still get worse. Sometimes they have some condition even they never knew about. Sometimes they react badly to the anesthetics. Sometimes they die because they ate something that disagreed with them three weeks ago. Things you could never know about and that might not show up until there is absolutely nothing you can do. We just have to do what we can and hope for the best. You got us through that mess Chui. More of us could be in that operating room. So, thank you."

He laughed, "But of course you don't need me lecturing you about all this."

He paused, lowering his glass and smiling.

"That said, it will be nice to have proper memory backups next time we go out."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back