• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP (non-canon): D&D Mission 1: Getting "Acquainted"

The bartender leaned on his counter as he replied. "Well some rats've been comin through here, i'd say round 2 or 3 hundred o' so. A couple o' people have gott'n bit by em and got a lil sick, so the town's cleric over in the hospital decided it be a good idea to keep visit'rs 'way."

"Two or three hundred? Please tell me we're talking ordinary size rats here." Denkou turned on her most winning smile. "Because I'd planned on staying for a bit, and wouldn't mind having somewhere I knew I could stay."

"Well they're normal-ish. I'd say round a foot long, couple inches wide, maybe six or seven pounds. And e'ry last one of em's diseased. One of the scholars took a look at a de'd one, immed'tly took the guards weapon the killed it." The bartender chuckled a little. "Now know that you can stay 's long you like, I ain't gonna turn away good bus'ness."

Talarin considered this information. "When did this start happening? Did it seem to coincide with some other strange event?" he asked curiously settling down in the barseat. This actually sounded like something to look into.

Walking into the inn, Aurelus let his other travelers flow into the building before him, taking his time. Once inside he listened to the conversation between the bartender and the sorcerer and the rogue. These rats seemed to be a real nuisance. It would probably be a good idea to shut the windows and close the doors real tight.

I swear on me dead wife, if I get bit by one o 'em damned critters I'll set the whole damned inn on fire till I see ever last rodent burnt to ashes.

The innkeper thought back, "I don't really think so. I mean there was one thing you could consider close, about two weeks before the rats some guys came in, real important lookin, they were Weiss, you know, wizard country as most call it that've been der. And normally mages don't put the scare to me, but these were those types, the extremists, y'know? Let's just say none of us slept easy that night they passed through. Y'see, they think they're bett'r than ev'ryone, think they should take out the crown and rule Drakeshire, the way I heards it. You can never be too careful 'round them folks." The innkeeper thought a little bit and then continued. "Actually, the cleric over at the hosp'tal was thinkin that the disease is magically enchanced or some hocus-pocus like that, just cus it aint like any other rat plague he's heard of. I don't quite worry about it, i's gots ways to barricade my inn, plus a couple tricks or two up my sleeve." The innkeeper grinned a little at his last statement.

Denkou looked back at the others. "Well, I say we stick around." She winked at them. "We can always watch each other's backs during the night if we have have to. I'm not afraid of you guys."

Aurelus nodded. "Aye. W'stay the night. I have nary a worry. Talarin's little snake pet aughta keep all rats at bay, right? We'll just leave 'er on the floor in the room we sleep in, eh?"

After a while, Aurelus asked. "Er... whose got the silver?"

"5 silver each gets you a cot, a blanket, and a pillow in a room with a fireplace, the room holds 4. 2 gold each gets you a comfy bed, multiple pillows and blankets, a fireplace, a chamber pot, and individual rooms." The innkeeper held out his hand.

Denkou didn't even pause before dropping 2 gold into the innkeeper's hand. "I don't know about you guys, but I like being comfortable." That said, she paused, turning back to the keep. "What are the chances of you having a bath too?"

Talarin caught Joanna as she was angrily jumping out of his pocket. He started cooing and shushing her while saying "It's ok Joanna. It's not his fault he can't tell the difference between a Snake and a Lizard. He's a soldier not a scout." he looked up apologetically at everyone "She gets upset when people mistake her for a snake." he gently placed her back into his pocket and turned back to the innkeeper. "Do you know where these wizards stayed while they were here?" he asked.

A short way into walking to the theatre, Sorri rolled her eyes at herself. It was evening, why would there be anyone there? And, as she thought over her day, the tumble down the hill damaged her only healing kit, destroying a container of herbs and breaking a mineral jar onto her bandage stock. This place had a hospital also marked on the map, maybe she could stock up there.

Turning around, she set off at a moderate pace for the town medical center.

((Edit: Healing kit details altered.))

The innkeeper kindly took the gold and smiled. "Yeah we do. I can get you a sponge, a bucket, and a bar o' lard soap, 1 silver." Then he looked over Talarin, "They stayed here o' course, nowhere else to stay, and I ain't one to turn way good bus'ness."

--------------------

When Sorri arrived at the hospital a nurse greeted her. On the front desk there was a sign that stated prices of different procedures, check ups, and services. Halfway down the list there was a healer's kit, listed for 50 gold, good for ten uses. Ii also said kit components could be purchased separately at special request.

Sorri already knew she couldn't afford to buy a kit. The last month after the robbery that had occurred soon after she fled had seen the meager amount that remained eaten up, literally,as she had to keep herself fed and her clothes in good repair. Walking up to the nurse who had greeted her, the half-blood halfling smiled and returned the greeting.

"Um...I'm looking for some medical supplies, I lost some earlier today, but I'm afraid I have no money. Would you happen to need the services of an amateur healer?" she asked, smiling as cutely as she could.

The nurse looked over at her. "Don't have any money, or don't have enough? Although the healer's kits are 50 gold we understand that sometimes people use certain things more than other things, so instead of buying a brand new kit you can simply buy what you are missing for a much cheaper price.

"Err... right... sorry 'bout that, little lizerd..." Aurelus said to the uppity creature in Talarin's pocket. Lizard, snake... what was the difference? It was a friggin belly crawlin reptile. Aurelus wasn't one for defining details in animals or plants. It was either dangerous or not.

"Despite i', you sure 'bout this Denkou? It would be better for the lot o us to stay in one room, considerin' the situation. Bein' alone in a room is askin ta get bit by 'em rats while yer sleepin."

Talarin nodded his agreement with Aurelus absently as he pondered how the wizards could have worked a spell out to affect the rats so.

Denkou shrugged. "You want to sleep on the floor, be my guest. Like he said, he has a way to keep the rats out, and I'm not all that worried anyway. I can handle myself just fine." She reached into another fold in her outfit, pulling a silver piece out and handing it to the innkeeper. "And I'll take you up on that offer."

As Talarin contemplates potential spells that could be imbued into a poison, he comes to the conclusion that dozens of different spells have the potential to be used, especially since he doesn't know what the symptoms are.

The innkeeper thanked Denkou with a smile. "Yes sir, I'll leave it outside your door in the morning." Then he turned to the Aurelus. "The rats usually stay outside the town, and the town keeps watches in the towers at night, usually the elves in the town that can see in the dark. They'll ring the bell if the rats decide to come for a visit. It's been two or three weeks since they've been in the area, and they've only come through three or four times."

Gabriel said:
The nurse looked over at her. "Don't have any money, or don't have enough? Although the healer's kits are 50 gold we understand that sometimes people use certain things more than other things, so instead of buying a brand new kit you can simply buy what you are missing for a much cheaper price.
Sorri looked down, her smile fading away. "I have no money, not if I want to eat. But I can work quickly at whatever you can give me!" She looked back up at the nurse, hopeful.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back