• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP (non-canon): D&D Mission 1: Getting "Acquainted"

Talarin accepted the gift from the sorceress. "My thanks. I will think of you as long as I feel it." he gave her a rougish wink. After the elder had sent them off, he started to show off his new shiny necklace. "So, what do ya think Denkou?. Does it give me a special glow? I think it goes with my hair very well. Don't you agree." he almost bounced along with the rest of the group. As he bounced/walked, starting chatting about whatever came to mind to whoever he was closest too. He started with Sorri. "Hey didn't we met out on the road? I coulda swore we did. I'm not sure, maybe Joanna remembers." he gave Sorri a winning happy-go-lucky smile.

SentientRace said:
"'Aven't I seen ye before?" Aurelus finally asked the girl[...]
He had forgotten. Sorri wasn't sure if that was a good thing or bad. Before she could decide whether to answer, Tamarin had asked her the same question. So she simply nodded.

"Ah! I thought so! Ye look small, but ye look older than yer size! So what's yer name, little lass? We might need i' when we start explorin'." He hadn't considered she was only half halfling half human, just a tall halfling woman. Aurelus was walking with the rest of the group, feeling the mesh of his chainmail and admiring the craftsmanship with which it was done.

Sorri packed the healing kit away in her backpack before answering, stalling a little to think. A name, a name, need a name...

"Um...Mender. Call me Mender." Inside, she groaned. Why didn't I think of something better to use before someone asked? I've had enough time! Returning her backpack to her shoulders with a swing, 'Mender' dislodged her quarterstaff from it and glanced up at the party one by one. "So...what are your names?"

Talarin nodded and smiled "My name is Talarin. This is Joanna." He indicated the lizard in his pocket. "She doesn't talk a whole lot, so I have ta introduce her. My overly muscular friend here is Aurelus. And the short little beauty over there is Denkou." he stopped a moment to compose his thoughts. "Oh, of course. Our wizard friend is.... Bags, I forgot your name, friend."

The Imaskari frowned for a moment and sighed.

"Ghira. My name is GHIRA." He told the two, attempting to keep a fast pace. He obviously never has had to keep a consistently quick pace before, as he appeared to be out of breath.

Sorri glanced around at each person as Talarin said their names, trying to match faces to them. "It is good to meet you," she said when the introductions were done, smiling. Again, she added mentally.

As they traveled, the half-halfling found that, at the pace Jeerah ... er ... Gealuh...? Great, she forgot a name already. Anyway, at the pace the tired pale one was setting, she was needing to almost run every few steps to keep up. She was used to walking quickly, mostly to keep up with normal-sized people walking normally, and although jogging wasn't bad for now...

"How far are we going?" she asked.

Talarin shrugged, "I dunno, I'm just following the crowd here, hon." he looked around at the lagging Ghira. "Hoi, how far are we walking, friend?"

"A quarter-day's journey from the town." Ghira replied, wheezing a bit. After a drink from his waterskin, he upped his pace in order to keep up.

"Grah... I've been walkin' since I... If we 'ver get enough gold, we buy horses! I swear by Pelor, I aughta get weapons fer me legs! They're stronger than the rest o me!" Aurelus exclaimed looking into the horizon, which they would eventually reach and then continue a little ways more.

The group walked for hours and as the sky started turning orange and yellow, signifying that the sun would set in three or four hours, a mansion came into view. For being old and abandoned the mansion looked to be in relatively good shape. On the first floor of the mansion the party could see a large double wooden door, reaching almost to what appeared to be the second floor, and the mansion appeared to be about 100 feet wide. Inches above where the door stopped there was a row of windows that ran horizontally across the mansion. The second floor, considerably smaller than the first, appeared to be about 10 feet thinner on both sides, replacing those ten feet with a balcony that rested on the roof of the first floor. Staircases on the near ends of these balconies could be seen leading to a balcony on the third floor. The third floor was much smaller than the second, appearing to be only 30 to 40 feet wide. Along the entire front side of the third floor ran the balcony that led to the stairs so the second floor balcony. Out of the third floor could be seen a tower, looming 30 feet above the rest of the mansion.

Talarin whistled as they drew closer to the mansion. "Lemme guess, it's going to be at the very top of the tower?" he asked Ghira. He patted Joanna.

"Thank the gods I left me stuff back at the inn! I'd be tired as a mule!" The fighter looked up at the mansion, resting his right hand on his longsword which was sheathed in it's scabbard. Looking at the large mansion, and the tower way on top, he looked around the sides of the mansion to get his bearings on a scalable surface.

"If ye get ta see any vines or anythin' else climbable on the mansion, ye let me know. Methinks it'd be easier ta climb the outside to the balcony an avoid having ta go through the first floor."

"Careful. I have no idea what they trapped this place with if at all. And to answer the question, I have no idea where inside my ex-associates placed it. I have never actually been inside this place." Ghira responded, closing his eyes and summoning up his energy. "Wait a moment, I'm going to see if there's anything else magical around here."

He sent out a pulse of magical energy towards the mansion in an attempt to find obvious traps.

Ghira detected multiple magical auras emanating from the mansion. Although the location and nature of the smaller auras were covered by an extremely large magical aura emanating from the top of the tower.

There were no distinguishable vines or methods of climbing to the balcony; the wizards had done a good job of making that task difficult. The only method that even seemed possible, although very difficult, was trying to climb up the windows, or grapple the railing. Although, the group didn't have a grapple.

After about a moment's pause, Ghira opened his eyes. He told his teammates, "I know there's at least more than one magical object in the vicinity, but I can't tell what any of them are because the artifact is emanating quite strongly. And unfortunately for us, it's at the top floor.

Denkou shook her head. "Aurelus, lets just go through. I can take care of traps pretty well, but it looks like they don't want us climbing up. Who's to say they haven't trapped the walls somehow?" She paused, thinking as an idea came to mind.

Talarin observed the mansion with less than trained eyes. It was much bigger than most houses he'd ever seen. It was definately the most spooky. "So our plan of attack is to go in through the front?" he asked a little apprehensively.

"Probably. Can you cast a more specific spell to check the front side of the house here though? If you're not getting anything, I think I'll see if I can get up to the top with a boost from Aurelus, and throw a rope down from there." She paused, completely aware of the fact that they could be under surveillance. "If I can't get up, then I think we're stuck with the front, or busting in a window."

Talarin shrugged. "Maybe if I were closer, that artifact would probably just completely overshadow any other magical aura a distance. Do ya think it'll be trapped on the way up there?"

RPG-D RPGfix
Back