• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

RP: 4th Fleet [Mission 1] The Battle of South Gate

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rocking hadn't shaken Silic from his chair, but the relatively old engineer sat in his chair rubbing his mouth in pain, “Blit meh tongue.” he muttered angrily to himself as his other hand resumed work on his console. Watching his screen intently, he attempted to carry out his order “Oh, shmart.” he said aloud “They're distrupling the curlent to the sholonoids , using the shlips own safety shystems against it.” his sore tongue giving him a strange lisp.

"Echo team to command, we've been blocked. They deployed the blast shutter between us and their location. We are working on burning through but its going to take a few minutes." the leader of Echo team signaled

------------------------------

Kiyoshi sent a telepathic message to Honoka, "Hakumei-Hei, do what you can to get back in touch with the Fleet, we can't afford to be cut off from them. Once you do, warn them about the problem with saboteurs."

She then turned to Silic, "See what you and KAMI can do to block these bastards from hacking the infrastructure. Look for whatever systems they can compromise by using the failsafes or other unprotected subsystems."

------------------------------

A second volley of NMX fire slammed into the Nadare, while the flagship continued to unleash its own deadly armament upon the enemy. One of the NMX capital ships erupted into a ball of expanding gasses from the combined firepower of the 4th fleet.

Arkase considered the new dilemma, and wondered how best to circumvent it -- or if it were needed at all. He almost called on Silic to possibly help him but... no. The Engineer was busy.

"Acknowledged, Echo. Just don't let those screwballs get away." With a sigh, he started pulling up menus on his console, looking for a possible way to help Echo team.

"Hey, Freya," Arkase addressed the computer telepathically, "Can you give me a video feed on Subsection 85 in Engineering? Or any possible intel on those saboteurs there?"

He needed to help somehow.

Freya replied telepathically, "Their authorization codes identify them as some of the new replacements taken aboard. Attempting to reactivate the video pickups in that section..." An image appeared on Arkase's display. On it a Neko could be seen connecting an pair of compressed gas containers to a control. Those two cylinders create a dangerous combustion risk. Freya addded.

"Oh." Arkase said with a sigh. "That's grand."

He patched in again to Echo Team's frequency, "Update for you, Echo Team, one of the Neko's in there is possibly making a bomb -- proceed with caution, and make her your priority target."

He then flipped frequencies to Bravo Team, who were still hanging outside of the PA Bay.

"Bravo Team, I want you to move toward Subsection 85 in Engineering and support Echo. Proceed with caution, it appears the saboteurs are creating a bomb."

Arkase didn't wait for a reply, and flipped through several of his Team's statuses. He knew Bravo wouldn't make it in time for the firefight -- if there was one -- but if a bomb went off, or Echo was overwhelmed... They'd be the perfect mop for the mess either way.

"Freya, can you run a scan over the ship for canisters like the one that Neko has throughout the ship?"

Freya's response was quick, "The canisters being used are standard materials aboard ship for various uses. What makes them dangerous is how they are currently being used."

"Echo team to command, we are ready to breach the shutter...." the sound of gunfire filled the channel, and on the screen the Neko saboteur was knocked away from what she was working on by the impact of the weapon. "Hostile is down, repeat hostile is down."

The image on the screen suddenly became that of a expanding fireball and then the image was lost.

"Echo team to command, the device detonated prematurely, damage to the area is minimal. All team members are okay. Performing Damage Control... Over."

"Affirmative, Echo. You did well." Arkase replied to the soldier on the ground.

Relieved that he hadn't lost anybody, he switched to Bravo Team. "Bravo Team, discontinue your support of Echo, and secure the closest corridor junction."

With a sigh, he began thinking. Much too close for comfort. he replayed briefly in his mind, the Neko being smashed aside by the weapons' fire. The expanding fireball that could have been so much more dangerous.

Yeah. Much too close.

He then turned his attention toward what Freya had said: The chemicals were all over the ship. Suddenly, the thought of just how truly indefensible things could be dawned on him.

You could make a bomb out of household cleaners, they said. Arkase had thought that that was just a myth; but now, it was true in a way. A bomb could be made this very second, and he wouldn't know until it was too late or if the saboteur revealed their hand too early.

"Damn. I'm going to be a paranoid schizophrenic by the time I'm thirty-two." He said it softly, and then looked around to make sure nobody had heard.

The line was from an older comedy -- from the 20's, actually -- but it wasn't something one wanted to say in a fleet bridge.

Another sigh, and Arkase looked at the screen -- ready for whatever lay next for him.

“Too many to name on tahis ship, very over engineerled.” replied Silic, waving a hand to dismiss the idea, focusing again at his console. “KAMI, can you get the network to dump any packets from that terminal?” his lisp slowly receding, leaning away from his console for a second he spoke up “Hey, if they're right outside the power armour bay, wouldn't they...kit up?” asking no one in particular.

"Hai, Taisa."

Honoka immediately went about working on reestablishing a connection with the rest of the fleet. A ship, any ship, as long as she could connect to one, a message could then be linked to any other ships.

"Hello? Can any ship of the Fourth Standard Fleet read me? Please acknowledge. The YSS Nadare has had problems with saboteurs. Be weary and look for any unauthorized access from internal terminals." The aide did a quick check on what was known about the hackers. "These saboteurs came in the form of fresh replacements aboard our ship. I repeat, if anyone can read me, be on the look out for traitors and any unauthorized access from hackers."

She braced herself for the strike against the ship's hull, though she was still rocked about a bit. She sincerely hoped that the ship wouldn't explode. That would just make an already bad day, what with the sabotage/hacking and the ringing in her ears already, worse.

Arkase grunted, hearing Silic's question.

Assuming it was directed at him, he said "No. Not necessarily. I deem their kits appropriate, and they had time to pick up equipment before the battle."

But the question made him think... What if he needed something heavier than what any of the teams had?

Well, they wouldn't be working out in space, so it was unlikely that they would need something to blow a Capital-Ship to pieces.

"Thanks for second-guessing me, Silic-Hei." The simple Hei said.

"Things like that remind people in charge they're human, and can make mistakes. But I'll let you into a secret about leadership: You don't second-guess an order you already gave. It makes you look indecisive to your troops, and takes up precious time that might cost somebody their lives. If they die seizing a position under a snap-order, then they do. Cry about it later -- but vague or contradicting orders are going to get you put out of command, and someone either far more idiotic, or far more capable will take your place. The idiots kill far more than you ever will."

The little speech kept Arkase idle -- though he still stared at his console, and listened for any warnings.

“Uuuhh...” was all Silic could reply, looking rather frazzeled, this was a lot different to the factory floor he was used to. “Guh, I meant what if the other dudes get loaded.” he said slowly, turning to Arkase, his eyes shifting underneath his glasses. Military strategy was far from his forte, he just said it as he saw it.

Visibly giving up on that line of thought he turned to Honoka, having been engrossed in his console he hadn't noticed her get zapped, and the slightly skinny little valkryja had seemed unnaturally quiet to him. “Hey, you okay?” he asked, completely oblivious to her damaged ears, and having no telepathic abilities of his own.

”YSS Nadare, this is Anzu-Shoi of the YSS Otaki. Message received, and I have forwarded it to my commander. We have had similar reports of malfunctions aboard several other vessels. Its very distressing to think that is our own people doing them.” came a telepathic response. ”Inform your commander, that the Toku one of the Takumi-Class Cruisers has been heavily damaged.” There was a brief pause. ”Oh my stars, she’s gone, the Toku is gone, she just exploded under the last NMX barrage.”

At that moment the shield systems of the Nadare came back online, the displays showed the shields were back to full strength. “Engineering to command. We powered the shield system completely down and restarted it. It is working properly now.” Came a voice over the speakers. “We are checking all primary systems for any other tampering.”

Freya chimed in, “We have multiple hull breaches on the forward sections. Damage control teams are needed. I am unable to access video cameras in those areas due to damage. Initiating network counter measures…… worm discovered…. Worm neutralized. Warning two additional terminals have just been added to the maintenance ports in forward section 23A. Disabling the maintenance data ports. Warning unauthorized entry to Torpedo magazine.”

Kiyoshi looked at the Nadare status board, and gave an inward sigh when the shields came back online. Thank the makers someone in engineering got the blasted shields up. Now if we can only get the comms online. she thought. Looking at Honoka she sent telepathically. “ Hakumei-Juni any luck getting through to the fleet. There is an NMX attack group attempting to flank us. We need to have the gunship squadron’s engage them.”

“The torpedo bay!” Shouted Silic shouted, practically leaping out of his chair and scrtutinising his screens “If they manage to detonate even one of those warheads the ship is lost at the very least!!” he continued, still shouting, panic gripping his voice.

Arkase looked for the closes team -- Charlie.

"Charlie Team, move at best speed toward the Torpedo Magazine. Eliminate saboteurs with extreme prejudice." He snapped the order out.

He then switched to Delta, "Delta Team, move in and support Charlie team. The Torpedo Magazine has been infiltrated with saboteurs."

Kiyoshi turned to Arkase, "Belay that 'Eliminate with extreme prejudice' Order. Oshiro-Hei. That is the magazine, they go in firing weapons they will do the saboteurs job for them. The team is in PA's subdue the anyone in the magazine, and take them to the brig for questioning."

Kiyoshi turned to Silic, Definitely green, well everyone starts out that way. she thought. "Vas-Hei, thank you for ensuring everyone could hear you. I am sure even Hakumei-Juni could hear that over the ringing in her ears.

Meanwhile the screens in front of Honoka all went blank. Then two words appeared on each her monitors.

Reinitializing System

After a few seconds they started coming back online showing normal communication channels were working again.

"Etto... communications are working. But, this is not good. Taisa, we've lost a Takumi-class Cruiser, the Toku. Also, other ships are having the same problems with the apparent traitors," Honoka sent to the officer in charge.

She then sent a message to the fleet. "Attention gun squadrons. This is the YSS Nadare. You are to intercept the NMX attack group moving to flank our position."

"Belay that, Charlie Team -- Subdue and bring them to the Brig for questioning." Arkase said.

Silic whittled slightly under the hard comment, but appeared to regain some composure, “Who the heck is Hakumei-juni?” he thought, not realising she was sitting not too far from himself. Work, that was what he needed, yes. He retook his seat and turned back to his terminal, “Kami...” he paused for a second, trying to think “...please show me the status of the repair teams.” As his father always said, when in doubt sit down and fix something.

His screen lit up with a holographic display of the 5 kilometre ship, a few dozen green blips showed the repair teams working away. “Show damage.” he whispered, nearly the whole ship lit up in angry yellow, “Show only internal, major damage.” he corrected, the yellow faded to several sections, mostly in the bow of the ship where the enemy fire was coming from. “Show known locations of saboteurs.”, red dots showed the reported locations in different parts of the ship.

Careful not to alert the teams to who was actually ordering them, he quietly shuffled the teams to more important repairs, focused mainly on the coolant system, and some of the more 'has to be working or you'll die' electronics, leaving one team to contain a rather large leak in the hemosynthetic conduits, can't have that stuff getting everywhere. Silic also tried to make sure none of the teams went through the sections marked in red, though with so many of them he couldn't watch them all.

"What in the..." Arkase watched his handful of teams that weren't moving in on Saboteurs begin repairing things or become otherwise engaged.

"Report!" He snapped out to his teams.

"Sir? this is Taylor-Juni of Charlie team reporting, we are going into the magazine right now sir.... go go go.." the sounds of a scuffle could be heard in the background. Then a female voice could be heard, "You will all join us. Throw off your shackles and become masters of your own destinies." "Take that piece of filth to the brig. Sir we have the saboteur, she's being taken to the brig. We're checking the Magazine for bombs or such."

Kiyoshi upon hearing Arkase's second outburst walked over to his station. "Is there a problem Oshiro-Hei?" with a bit of growl in her voice she asked looking at his display. In the lower corner of display she could see "View: Damage Control". Apparently when he shouted his warning earlier he bumped the controls for the display. she thought. With Nekovalkyrja quick reflexes she switch the display back to Security. "Do not fall apart on me Oshiro-Hei, I need everyone of you to give me your all. And we might just survive this day. But if you fall apart we are all FUCKED. Do you understand me?"

Meanwhile in his ear piece, "Charlie team sir, no sign of a bomb, but the autoloader mechanism has been trashed. I repeat sir the Neko ripped the wiring out of the autoloader system. Any more torpedoes will have to be manually loaded. Sir... Are you reading me."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…