• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

RP: YSS Eucharis [Mission 11.3] Back Into Chaos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Junko finished her fried rice and looked up, examining the faces of those around her. She had originally intended to take the Captain's advice and go get some sleep but everyone else appeared to be already working away, considering the tasks they had been set. For her part, she had a little experience with climate and atmospherics as a technician; after all, it would have been a bit difficult to manage the ship's enviro plants without some baseline knowledge. On a more fundamental level, however, she was relatively clueless. Certainly, she had no real idea of what sort of questions she should ask about planetary climates. That seemed more the domain of the SSS or a science officer...

A light-bulb went off in her head and she turned to glance discreetly at Sune. “Jalen-Chui,” she sent telepathically. ”If you have some free-time before we arrive I have a few questions I'd like to ask you.”

Wardroom
Sune was listening to the various comments and suggestions being made around him.

"Actually Takeda-Heisho if you do not mind coming up to the bridge, I can speak with you now." Sune sent to Junko.

Standing up he faced Hanako, and with a slight nod of his head said, "Taisa, thank you again for a wonderful meal. I have a few errands to attend to prior to turning in."

He then left the wardroom, and descended to deck two. Sune stopped briefly at his cabin to retrieve his ICP and then continued forward on his way to the bridge.

Bridge
Once there he took a seat at the mission operations station. He turned on the ICP and established a secure link with Charisma. Once the link was established he watched as the data files he requested began to download.

While they were downloading he waited for Junko to arrive.

Yaichiro scrolled through the historical data, an expression of concern on his face as he hit upon something. "Going through the historical data, it appears that their greatest and most recent war was sparked by the controversies of cloning technology, after which they destroyed the clones and unified themselves. A key question would be if the war has left them to an aversion to our own way of life -- creating soldiers and making new bodies for ourselves. It may have left them with a moral or ethical dislike of a key aspect of our nature. Bluntly asking them if this is the case may pose a problem, but then again, it's nothing they wouldn't be able to quickly discover via PANTHEON...perhaps I will ask how they feel about cloning if done responsibly, and how they feel if it's done by other races."

Having finished her food Reika set down her knife and fork upon the empty plate before her. Her thoughts turned briefly from the mission to more immediate, though minor concerns. Having just come aboard she still needed to get a cabin assignment and the duffel bag resting beside her chair stowed away.

The intelligence operative slowly slid from the chair, stood, and turned to speak to the captain respectfully, "Thank you for the meal, Ketsurui-taisa. It was a treat. I look forward to working together with you and the rest of the crew of the Eucharis in the coming days." Reika smiled warmly and sincerely at those gathered around the table.

The woman gestured towards the bag beside her chair, "If I have your permission, I will excuse myself to put away these belongings and to continue to make my preparations for our arrival in Gartagen space, before turning in for the night myself. I'll report to medical for my routine physical prior to the beginning of tomorrows duty shift if that is acceptable to you, Taisa."

"That is fine," Hanako nodded. "I should get to bed, too. I will see everyone tomorrow morning."

The Taisa stood and went back to her cabin, pondering the cloning issue. On the way she composed a message to the Gartagens:

Junko set her dishes aside and stood, bowing to the Taisa as she left the wardroom. She made to leave herself, but thought better of it and turned back around. Gathering up the dishes of those who had finished, including her own, she quickly bused them back to the scullery but, fearing the ship's cook, didn't linger for long. Back in the Wardroom, she bowed silently to those still around the table and then slipped through the hatch into the main passageway.

A moment later, she was standing outside the Bridge. She hit the admittance key and waited a moment until the hatch opened for her. She saw the Chui and walked over toward him, bowing her head politely in greeting.

“Thank you for finding the time to speak so quickly, sir.”

Ramiro bowed to the Taisa and said. "Well, I'm going to go catch up with Charisma, maybe chat a bit, get used to my duty station again. Also, as long as there are no objections, I would like to take up residence in room number 3. See you in the morning Taisa, it's good to be home." Ramiro bowed once more and made his way to the bridge. When the door opened for him and he saw Sune and Junko already inside he quickly bowed. "Sorry, am I interrupting? I just thought I would re-familiarize myself with my duty station before I went to bed, but I can do it tomorrow if you wish."

Wardroom

Takeyu placed his chopsticks down and got up, picming up his plate and putting it in the scullery before leaving the wardroom to get some much needed rest.

Crew Deck

The corridor was silent to his ears as he watched into the number three cabin and sat down on the bunk, running his hands over his face for a moment before getting back up and pulling out his ICP.

He sat down at the desk and opened it up, drawing up a series of questions based on personal priority for his assigned task. I should probably get me some rest, will after I get this done with.

His mind pondered the task at hand, curious how the Gartegens would react to someone asking about their technology. He only hoped no one would get offended, though the question raised about cloning by Yaichiro did linger in his mind.

Bridge

Sune looked at Ramiro and smiled. "You are not disturbing us Valencia-Heisho. I came here to download some data and Takeda-Heisho wanted to ask me a few questions before we meet the Gartagens. I must say I will feel a bit more comfortable with you handling the Eucharis.

Takeda-San, so what were your questions?" he asked casting a brief glance at the progress of his downloads.

Ramiro smiled back at Sune, "Thank you Chui." He sat down at the Starship Operations terminal, leaning back a bit as he did so. I never realized how soft these chairs were. He adjusted the seat to allow better access to the terminal before pressing a few buttons to connect with Charisma telepathically. "Hello again Charisma, it's nice to be back on your ship. Sorry about the unconventional methods, but Sune and Junko are talking and I don't want to bother them. So, anything interesting I should know about from when I was gone? As Ramiro spoke with the AI he began flipping through the mission logs from the missions that he had missed during his time planet-side.

Junko smiled at Ramiro before turning back to Sune.

“Sir, it's just about recording this information when we make contact. The Taisa has assigned environment and climate to me, so I'll try my best, but my perspective is limited to my work with enviro systems aboard ship. As a science officer, I was wondering if you had some perspective on this, like what sort of questions I ought to ask or how I ought to write my reports. I'd feel useless if, say, the SSS had to be dispatched because I couldn't provide any information of use.”

She fell silent for a moment and scuffed at the deck with the toe of her boot. Finally, she looked back up sheepishly.

“And also, sir, I'm a little worried about this entire situation. Combat and damage control, I can handle. But foreign relations, first contact? It's just so far outside what I know.”

Bridge

Sune took a moment to consider Junko's last comment. They mirrored some of his own. After reflecting upon it he spoke.

"This will be a challenge for most of us. Our time on-board the Eucharis has, as you stated made us adept at dealing with combat and the aftermath. Now our challenge is to deal with a new race in a peaceful fashion. I am sure that there will be some misunderstanding on the part of both parties. Which means practicing active listening and observing, followed by feedback to confirm our understanding is correct.

Questions about their environ, I would suggest you take a long view. Start with what their current weather patterns, and cycles are like. Then inquire as to any significant global scale events, such as deforestation, industrialization, war. And see if they can provide data on what their climates were before and after each such event. That kind of data could be used to help develop models for determining if their climate is stable, recovering or declining. You may also want to inquire into any cyclical events, increase storm patterns, droughts.

I think can figure out where to go from there."

Nathaniel was one of the last people to leave the room. He did feel a bit ignored but that was mostly due to his Elysian pride being hurt due to the Taisa outright ignoring his questions. He did however not linger on those feelings as he had enough to do at the moment.

He grabbed his duffel bag, and headed towards the 0g passageway. He knew the crew cabins where one deck below, but the only problem was now that he wasn't assigned a cabin yet, and suddenly barging into somebody's room wasn't exactly the best way to start your first day on a ship. He suddenly thought about the fact that on board on some ships, the allocation of cabins was done by the computer's AI.

"Charisma? Could I be assigned a cabin for my stay on the Eucharis? Preferably the same as Mr. Papadopoulos"

Yaichiro and Helen's Quarters

With the meal complete, and the assignments divided among the crew, Helen was left to return to the quarters which she shared with Yaichiro. Upon arriving, she slipped off her shoes and took a seat at the desk, propping her elbows upon its surface as she looked down at a small stack of papers she kept upon it. "Mmm... how dismal..." she mumbled while brooding over the situation she had found herself stuck with aboard the Eucharis. Though, it was better than being stuck under Hanako's command, there was a high probability of dying like that.

As Helen sat, she eventually picked up an old fashioned ink-pen, and went about putting pen to paper as she began to sketch something, she was not sure what when she started, but she let her hand do the work as she thought on things. Though, as she thought, she realized that she still had her true job to take care of as she began to think on the Yaichiro situation, as well as the blossoming possibility of conspiracy, and the organization which Yaichiro placed himself in charge of. They were all important factors, and it left a lot of ground for the agent to cover. Step by step, that was the only way to handle it, and Helen knew that fact.

As she brooded, her hand continued to work, and as the pen scratched upon the paper, lines and curves began to form faces from Helen's memory. Crew she had served with, personnel from the YC-28, never did Helen think she would miss her command position so much... it seemed to be one of those things that command personnel always spoke of, the call of the command chair, and the way it became part of an officer. With that notion, she knew Hanako was right to dismiss her from the Eucharis, and that made things seem a bit more right, and it gave Helen all the more reason to get her job done so she could return to the relic of a ship which matched her own self so well.

Wardroom

Having been granted permission to excuse herself, Reika left the table with her duffel bag in tow. By using her innate NH-29 telepathic abilities, the young Nekovalkyrja attempted to communicate with Charisma, the ships computer.

"Charisma, would you be able to tell me which cabin I'm assigned, please?" Reika projected, her message racing fast as thought into the ships computer systems. The reply was almost instantaneous.

"Certainly, Tachihara-hei.... Your have been assigned a bunk within cabin 6. You may stow your personal equipment there." said a feminine synthesized voice, echoing on the edges of Reika's digital awareness.

"Thank-you Charisma." Reika sent back. She went down the stairs into the Lounge before quickly proceeding to one of the nearby cabins on that deck.

Cabin Six

Tachihara Reika stepped through the sliding doorway and activated the lights. The narrow chamber contained a double-bunk bed, a desk, chair, and a number of storage compartments in addition to the pair of lockers built into the frame of the chambers far wall.

The cyan-haired young girl gave the room a cursory inspection before she crossed the red-carpeted floor and emptied most of the contents of her duffel bag into one of the lockers and its cabinets, keeping only the black two-piece portion of one of her exercise uniforms handy for her sleep wear. Once changed, she deposited her utility belt and its contents into the locker as well, except for her communicator which she brought with her to bed in order to access the ships computer for some reading materials.

With Charisma's quick assistance she obtained several files from the ships computers on a range of topics; Gartagens, news updates, ships logs etc. She spent some time going through the assembled information before surrendering to sleep.

"Certainly, Kygra-hei. Cabin 5, as you requested is currently in use by both Papadopoulos Hei and Sune Chui. I've assigned you to cabin 3"
The female AI of the Eucharis replied back to Nathaniel with the quickness that made him think she already had the info on hand.

Without thanking the computer Nathaniel continued on his way, Unlike Reika who knew the layout of the ship better then him, he used the 0g passage way to get to the cabin deck.

Upon arriving at the door of the cabin he took a deep breath. He didn't know if there was somebody inside or not. He waited for a few moments before opening the door and stepping in. Upon entering, he noticed somebody was sitting at the desk, at the far end of the cabin. Judging from the looks of the person, and comparing it to the people that where in the wardroom, he noticed that this was one of the higher ranking Enlisted personnel aboard the ship. Remembering who was on the crew roster he remembered the person as, Nayacesen Takeyu.

"Permission to come in, sir?" he calmly said. He quickly thought about how silly this was to say during off duty hours.

Cabin 3

Takeyu was knee deep in his writings, several of the questions he wrote he had to delete when he realized just how invasive they sounded. Others he would have to work on a bit more before they arrived.

"Permission to come in, sir?"

He turned toward the newbie and looked the man over with analytical eyes, he scrutinized the soldiers appearance like an officer scrutinizing a new a soldier.

The wings on Kygra's back got his attention almost instantly, an Elysian. So, another winged one, well, hopefully he isn't gun-hoe like our current one. Then again, the air about him is different I'm noticing, he thought while staring straight at the soldier.

Quarrying the main computer, he soon got the soldiers name. ”Here’s the information you’ve requested Nayacesen-Heisho. The soldiers name is Nathaniel Kygra, his rank is Santô Hei and an infantrymen.” he smiled gingerly at this information.

"Welcome to the Eucharis, Santô Hei Nathaniel Kygra," Takeyu said neutrally. No point judging him because of the actions of another of his species, I'll observe him and see how he does, he thought as he waited to see what the soldier would do next..

"Thank you for the welcome aboard sir. I take it you have been notified about my assignment to this cabin?" The vibe this higher ranking soldier gave off on Nathaniel was triggering the same response he got from his Drill sergeant. Out of instinct, he quickly raced through all points that should have been kept in order for inspection by a higher ranking soldier or officer.

Nathaniel shook his head to clear his mind as he remembered that this wasn't the same person back on Elysia Novus. If it where he would have been scolded for his boots not being clean enough or his hair not being accepted by regulations.

Nathaniel collected his calm, and stepped further into the room towards the storage lockers on the far end of the cabin. While approaching them, he calmly asked. "Which bed and locker did you take? I'd hate pulling open the wrong locker, or sleeping in the wrong bed." He had some trouble to avoid to call the person 'Sir' again and showing any form of a grin. He also kinda wondered if he actually succeeded in doing just that.

Takeyu stared at the soldier, pondering to himself on a few things. Sir huh? he thought to himself, while keeping his expression neutral in the process.

Listening to Kygra's question, he glanced off to his right and said. "The top bunk is free, as well as," he thumbed the locker behind him and to his left, "the locker behind me. Go ahead and stow your gear," he said before taking a seat on his bed.

"So tell me, what brings you to the military?" he asked casually, yet a hint of curiousity could be heard in his voice.

Nathaniel thought for a moment, "That is a good question, in the beginning I would just say I joined to protect the Elysian people, and to carve out a name for myself in our history. Now... I think the scope has been broadened to more then just my people." He started placing the contents of the bag in the locker

"You see, with my people, its normal to have some form of discrimination as you people would name it. It meant I would never be able to become more, then a simple officer serving on a ship. For us it is normal but I guess, I am not a really good Elysian in that subject. Being ordered around by somebody that lacks the proper experience, isn't something I will accept, without having my say. Same reason I am kinda grumpy they never gave me a promotion back in the Elysian military even if I did fight in the assault on Novus."

Nathaniel paused a bit, and checked the bag if he forgot something. After checking it, he folded the bag, and placed it in the locker as well. He calmly continued. "So yeah, why I joined the military? I could say I am chasing a wild dream of becoming more, then I could become as a civilian. Same with the reason of serving directly under Yamatai. It gives me the chance to become more then a simple officer."

Nathaniel paused when he closed the door of the locker. In his right hand he held one of the two exercise uniforms that he brought with him. He then slowly turned to the the cabin mate and asked the same question. "How about you? You also joined the military to serve your country?" He stepped a bit away from the man and leaned against the empty wall, keeping his eyes on him at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…