• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Eucharis [Mission 12.3] Red Snow

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the twenty minutes, Takeyu had kept his eyes on the rear for most of the journey, worried about the parasite yet his drones never reported anything else back. He had then recalled them back to their hangers, yet still kept the others in the air.

"Ready here ma'am," spoke Takeyu as he raised his rifle toward the hole, ready in case something came out to surprise them. He still had one of his drones in the air pull back behind them, to monitor for any counter attacks.

Sune took up a position near the hole, the prospect of going into an NMX area by a hole and the word of an NMX prisoner had him just a bit leery.

So he dispatched sent one of his drones in along the highest point of the hole to see what lay ahead.

Hanako gave Armundo a gentle pat on the back, being careful not to hit his injured shoulders, and then opened and climbed out the forward hatch under the main cannon, carefully sliding off the ice-covered tank and landing in the snow with both feet. Her olive-colored camouflage field uniform looked out of place in the white snow, as did her long blue hair that was lit by the tank's headlights.

"Go ahead and turn the lights off, Armundo," Hanako sent the cook as she pushed through the snow over towards the tunnel entrance. It was dark outside but inside the tunnel was pitch black.

She looked to Sune, seeming a little uncertain.

Sune's drone was not showing anything beyond what one would expect in a cave, but that was just the area near the opening. It still have too much potential for an ambush but he did not see any choice. He recalled the drone and turned to look at Hanako. The look on her face pained him, but he was grateful that his helmet visor was opaque so as to keep it from showing.

"This area is not exactly defensible Taisa, I would suggest that we reverse the tanks orientation. So that its weaponry is facing away from the tunnel and can be used against anyone trying to come in from behind us by those we leave in it."

He looked around at what resources they had, if ever there was a situation where Helen's ruthlessness in battle was called for Sune felt this was one.

"Klein-Shosa, Nayacesen-Hei the two of you take point. Tachihara-Hei, and I will cover the rear. We keep the Taisa between us, we are her shields. Anything that flies, crawls or walks is considered hostile. If it does not obey an order to stop and surrender. Shoot it. If it is acting in any manner that you take as hostile. Shoot it. Nothing living gets past us to the Taisa. Understood."

"Taisa," Ramiro pipped up. "As I do not have any armor I believe it would be best for me to stay behind. I would be able to guard the tank from here and keep track of our guest. However, if you have a better idea I will gladly follow orders." As Ramiro said this he was climbing down from the gunner station, eyes still flicking back to the prisoner. Something just wasn't sitting right with him.

Armundo felt the Taisa's gentle hand across his broad back as she ordered him to turn off the tank lights. " Yes ma'am ." he said, flipping the switches, plunging them into darkness. His powerful human frame shivered under the Taisa's hand in the moment's contact, saying what he would not. Either he was in great pain or very nervous, perhaps even both.

Armundo's eyes flared to life as light faded, his red eyes lighting up like twin led's in the darkness. He could see perfectly in the dim light, esspecially with the white snow reflecting whatever light was in the area. He poked his head out of the turret, looking into the tunnel, his eyes glowing brightly, even ominously in the darkness. He was not sure how his eyes compared to standard Neko eyes, but they were supposed to be top of the line. He wanted to go in with them, to help somehow, but he said nothing.

He overheard Sune talking about reversing the tank. He did have some use of his hands, he could drive the tank enough to guard the entrance of the tunnel Ah c-chui..t-t-t-aisa, I c-c-could g-g-guard the entrance w-w-with the t-t-tank, if you w-w-would a-allow me the h-honour ." he said, his teeth chattering from the cold, his evil looking red eyes gleaming at them in the darkness, dispite his gentle, if someone tired voice.

"Lime, you watch our guest," Hanako ordered. "Ramiro, get a blanket out of the prisoner kit for her and also get one for Armundo. I need you to keep checking on him to make sure he's alright. Mango, if you can fight stay here and guard the tank. Armundo, you'll be the tank driver. Sune, there should be some Type 32 floating flashlights in the tank. See if you can grab one for each of us."

With that, Hanako crouched down and entered the dark maw of the cave, using her NSP's built-in light for the time being. The cave was full of smooth, ice-covered rocks worn by erosion and led down at about a 30 degree angle with a lot of twists and turns.

Takeyu gave a nod of the head, then looked at Helen before heading into the cave.

He was wondering what they would, or if that Neko that gave them the intelligence wasn't just leading them into a trap. With that, he deployed a drone to keep overwatch on them and to stay close. His hands were along the trigger's side, not on it, but close, he was ready in case they found anything.

"Could be an ambush anywhere..." Takeyu muttered silently to himself.

Hanako made her way down into the ice cave as best she could, sliding on her back with her blue-to-violet hair trailing behind her. Having her NSP in one hand made it harder to get a good hold on the cave sides. Sometimes she slid for a few meters. After rounding the first major turn, she went down a little more. The white snowy ice gave way to smoother shades of blue ice that was more transparent...and then Hanako spotted a hole. She carefully went to it and shined her light into the darkness. A huge cavern lay beneath, willed with icicles and giant quartz crystals.

She looked back up the tunnel to see who was behind her.

Sune climbed into the tank, searched for the flash lights then stepped back out to find Hanako was gone. A quick search on thermal showed Sune where she had gone.

This woman is going to be the death of me yet. Irresponsible, rash... He thought venting his frustration. "Well, so much for Plan A, we are back to improvising." He said as he handed the flashlights to the others and crawled into the passage, using his Armor's CFS he controlled his descent while looking ahead with thermal overlay.

He came to a stop just short of Hanako switched on one of the two flash lights he carried on. Seeing Hanako he was careful to not shine the light in her eyes as he closed the gap.

Once he was near her he held out the other one to Hanako, "Taisa, I believe you forgot your flashlight."

Reika followed just a short distance behind Sune and Hanako into the depths of the gaping icy maw which would hopefully lead them into the enemies stronghold. She issued her armor an instruction to supplement her optical feeds with a thermal overlay. With her LASR rifle once more in hand, she descended into the breach, activating her suits gravity manipulation for a few short bursts in order to slow her descent, before her feet met the slick ice floor with a wet crunch. The operative made he way to join Sune and Hanako where they stood.

Once she came to a stop, she turned to examine the caves interior. Her eyes periodically checked her HUD's passive sensor feed for any indication that there were security systems or traps present -- there was still a possibility that Karina had lied or lead them astray.

"Thank you, Sune," Hanako said, carefully lowering herself into the open cavern. Using the flashlight to look around she could see this area was once lit by an extensive lighting system, which was currently switched off. A steel catwalk ran through the center of the cave next to a set of tracks. She landed on the catwalk and looked in both directions. She went in the direction that was toward the old NDI facilities.

The ice and crystal formations around them were beautiful. As they moved through the cavern, the ice gave way to rock and they ended up deep under a mountain, surrounded by crystals. Finally, they came to a loading platform for the track, where a steel staircase led up to a metal doorway in a concrete wall that said "NDI ARMORY 381 - AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL ONLY."

Takeyu carefully approuched the door, his eyes looking for any traps or warning alarms that could tip off the NMX that they had company. He didn't say a word, staying silent the entire time while looking, then he aimed his rifle at the door - and awaited new orders.

Ramiro went over to one of the prisoner kits and pulled out the blankets. He first went over to Armundo and tossed him one, since he figured Armundo was more important to them than the prisoner. "You alright there buddy? You need anything just let me know, although if shit hits the fan I need you to get in that station and drive, you hear?" Ramiro then walked over to the gunner's station and swung the gun around the full 360 degrees, scanning for any sign of trouble that he could find.

"Taisa, all clear from here. No sign of any funny business." Ramiro grabbed the other blanket and went over to the prisoner. Crouching down and handing her the blanket he muttered, "I'm not trusting you until you prove yourself trustworthy. If something goes wrong, or god forbid the Taisa gets injured, you're mine. I'm watching you. If one hair stands up on my neck, you're finished. You got me?"

Tank Interior

"If your captain keeps her word and saves us you won't ever get any trouble from me," Karina told Ramiro, covering her bare legs and womanhood with the blanket. "Thank you for this. I hope the next planet I go to is nicer than this one."

- - -

Underground Base

"Check to see if the door is locked," Hanako directed Takeyu. Unfortunately, it was.

Just then, the door handle clicked, and the door swung open. An Nekovalkyrja in the doorway stepped back, a bit startled. "Don't shoot!" she pleaded.

Takeyu was momentarily startled by the appearence of the Neko, but quickly regained his composure and trained his rifle on the NMX, watching her eyes closing and her hands for any sudden, hostile, movement. "Keep your hands up, don't dare go for your weapon or I shot," he said in a calm tone and gestured with his other hand for her to come out.

He took a few steps back, but none the less he was ready to shot.

What a mission... a frozen wasteland, a worthless dump of a place that should just be blasted until it has a nice glow of fallout. On top of that, under-equipped for any sort of real confrontation, being weaseled into the task of taking out an installation in an infantry operation, when orbital bombardment would work so much better. Then, on top of that, we have a turncoat coward in our custody which is being treated so kindly, and now we're going to let all of her kin, that eat our forces for lunch, go and live nice and cozy until we wipe out their sisters, and they have no problem with it. Then... and then, we're stuck covering the Taisa's rear as she charges head-first into the unknown, likely to get her hea--- Helen's mind went on with her brooding, as she lingered covering the back of the group, until she heard the door open and she snapped around to see the Nekovalkryja which pleaded not to be shot. Pathetic coward. Helen thought as she held her fire, certain that the Taisa would scold her and pout if she pulled the trigger.

This is such a waste of time, and if we were really intent on taking prisoners, why would we come down without additional infantry support, or vehicles? This makes no sense at all... at all. How did this woman become a Taisa? Helen's thoughts resumed, as she grit her teeth behind the helmet of her Kylie, and returned her eyes to the rear. She was not about to go against orders, perhaps everything would fall together in some sort of perfect harmony that would end up making the Taisa look like a hero, and likely would end up getting her a promotion and a medal, for charging at a fortified position in a display of raw bravado like some sort of ancient Nepleslian cowboy... it was such a novice display. As Helen's mind came to the conclusion on her silent rant of gripes, she did muse on something very distinctive, which she actually had to speak through the Kylie's communications, and her telepathy.

"Taisa, ma'am, I am confused as to why they are so ready to surrender. There is something distinctively wrong, there should be more resistance. This is just too easy." Helen silently communicated.

Sune took up a defensive position by the platform to allow him to cover Takeyu, and the door way. It is never this easy, although every encounter we have had with these NMX nekos has them pliant and docile, as if the warrior facets of their personality have been removed. But it does not make sense that the NMX would make all their Neko's so unwilling to fight. This still feels like a trap, and that things could go badly anytime.

Sune looked around with thermal just to ensure that nothing was working on melting its way into the cave.

Armundo took the blanket and slid under it, curling up as much as his large frame would allow him to in the driver's seat. He had done as he said and backed up the tank to cover the entrance of the cave, making sure that there would be no surprise attack from behind while he was there.

"I'm doing alright, sir ." said Armundo, fibbing a bit as he watched whatever viewpoints were working at the moment as well as keeping a eye on the tunnel itself for the return of the Taisa and the rest of the crew. After a while, his attention began to waver and his eyes shifted backwards to the prisoner in the back named Karina. He had a few question for her about why she and her comrades had been so willing to give up when they had the advantage...was it just because she had been caught ? Why would the other NMX nekos be ready to surrender as she seemed to suggest, what exactly were they being Saved from ?

Armundo's ruby red eyes trained in on the prisoner. During the years as a street rat in Funky city, he had dealt with many a shadey character. He had a lot of practice in telling when someone was lying or not by reading their body language and his eyes could pick up slight variations that a normal set of eyes couldn't " Why would your sisters be so ready to surrender ?" he asked " Why should we beleive you aren't just sending our comrades into a trap " he asked in a low voice, his eyes all the brighter and more intense against his paling complexion. He stared without blinking, boring down on her, watching every little facial tick or shift in her body.

Tank Interior

Karina looked up at Armundo. "With the Star Army backing up the Gartagens and preventing us from getting help, I figured it was only a matter of time before we would be overrun by the Gartagens. You kept me alive so I was hoping maybe you could do that for some of my sisters. I do not think your captain is being safe at all, but she insisted on going to the cloning center. I just want to leave this planet behind and go to sleep somewhere."

- - -

Underground Base

"I'm Frigg Sylph. Where is Karina? The NMX neko asked, raising her hands. She was a curvy coffee brown NH-29 NMX light infantry grunt with round golden eyes and curly dark brown hair. She was wearing a dark brown camouflage field uniform with Common Fighter rank and a leather jacket made of tattooed human skin over it. She was carrying a Type 27 Nekovalkyrja Service Pistol and 2 airborne kaserine grenades on her belt plus a satchel with 3 Type 29 Field Rations (Type IS) was slung over once shoulder. "Look, we have a big problem here. We need to get out of here right away. Karina's idea got reported to the Mishhuvurthyar overseers and they are zombifying all the nekos in this area to prevent desertion. We've got to leave immediately!"

Meanwhile, Sune spotted two parasite-type Mishhuvurthyar in the darkness, flying straight at Hanako.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back