• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

RP: Hinomaru Sunrises II Mission 2.0 - Pearl and Engine

"Copy that," Roy responded, switching channels to the 4th squad's comms. "Good news, you'll be deployed soon. Make your final checks and get ready to move." There was a resounding affirmative from the squad before he'd contact the armorer.

"Obara, whip us up some of those Mindys, will you? We need enough for an extra squad. Officers, so add a mint or two on the pillows," he'd say with a chuckle, which was met with an exasperated sigh.

"If you're going, then I'm just short one mint. Armors will be ready by the time the officers come to suit up. Who is coming along?" There was already sounds of shuffling as the minkan got to work on the request.

Roy turned to Tachiko with a thumbs up. "Armors are getting prepped, captain. Armorer's asking who'll be needing them."

("Watch it!") The squad narrowly dodged yet another stream of plasma fire-that purple crap the Mishu used was a nightmare for infantry and even tanks-as they wrestled a trio of soul savior pods towards the Mazu. Morris was once again reminded as he looked below him of just how much he despised open-void combat. At least aboard a ship or on a planet you had solid ground and could at least predict where the enemy was going to come from to a degree; too many threat vectors and an increased likelihood of something coming up from below like some creature of myth to snap you up.

Bad analogy now that he thought about it, given the circumstances.

("We've got 3 more squads inbound with more of these things, including one with an escape pod-!") One of the yeomen said over the comms as he hefted the bulky rifle he carried; doing his level best to keep an eye on their surroundings, ("Roger, keep an eye out for hostiles.") He toggled the comlink; "Mazu, this is Yeoman Sergeant Morris-we're inbound with soul savior pods and a live one, mind your fire, over!"

----

Alexei was currently dialing in one of the gunsights on the cannon, wondering if he should try and call for some of their own void-borne backup. It would technically be an overreach of his authority as Morris was in charge of the operation, but given the circumstances it may be justified. For now though he was content to adopt a sit-and-wait approach while ensuring their equipment remained functional.

"Prep my Mindy and put my Molly on standby, tell the armorer to have my two Aether Gunto ready, along with the rest of my loadout, for both. I'll decide later."

Tachiko's eyes went blank, devoting all of her focus on the situation map in her mind. After a moment her eyes opened widely. "Helm! There! That gunship. line her up for that, Sensors, get bearing and heading and lock. Tactical- tube hot! We're going to hole it."

After her mishap getting out of her bunk, Yingzi long bolted to her alcove within the ship's combined sciences laboratory to provide help as well as try to gain more insight from the ship sensors that Calliope might currently be too occupied to look more in-depth. She worked frantically to ID, get a material scan, and anything else that would get as much data on the 13 enemy vessels, prioritizing novel designs such as the battleships.

While she certainly seen plenty of Mishhu vessels in simulations during her SAoY science training, this was the first time she was seeing them in person. There was a sense of fear but also disdain as she looked at them in the literal flesh. There was a brief moment of thinking what would happen if the Mishhu boarded, but she quickly suppressed the thought and continued with her work.

"Captain's going, Obara," Roy'd say as he began to relay Tachiko's request. "Get me into the fight as well. No way am I missing a boarding party. Get me the Aether SMG and my Daisy's shield. And my .45 for good luck."

"That crude thing...? Very well," was the armorer's response. "Armors will be prepped by the time the squad comes to collect."

Now this was going to be more to Roy's style, being right at the thick of it, boarding enemy ships and taking part in a good, old-fashioned firefight in the halls. He'd take hijacking the strike crafts as well, for nostalgia's sake. And sure, if he manages to bring one aboard intact for study. They were definitely not something he'd seen before, so it'd stand to reason that Yamataian engineers would love to tear it apart. He knew he would, if he had the space. And how hard could it be to commandeer? The Mishu's nekos are likely going to have to pilot at least some of them, so tentacles won't be a hard requirement. It was logically sound as far as he was concerned.

"Shosa, the armors will be ready by the time we arrive to claim them. We'll depart on your order." Roy himself was already pumped up and ready to go.

And while adjacent stations could cover for him, he had already made a deal with 2nd shift just for this eventuality. They were practically on his seat as soon as he got off the chair.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back