• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: ISC Phoenix [Mission 2] - Choke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sura looked at Soruk as he brushed passed her. "You are a cocky little rooster..." She said smiling and trailing behind him.

"Well, you aren't and operative...and you clearly aren't an immigrant!" Sura piped as she followed the rather solemn Soruk. "What are you?"

"Like are you a soldier? a builder? What?"

Sura seemed to have grown impatient with Soruks silence.

Soruk would feel the weight of his other Sheshka was no longer on his form. Gartagen children were notoriously nimble handed, and this little female had clearly spent much time in the Imperial City. Sura then smirked, and the fine blade vanished under her robes.

'Holy shit...A Sarquahi edge...this is like...." Sura said as she held the finely crafted Sheshka in her claws.

"You can have it back...if you can catch me!"

Sura then dashed off. Before long she had hopped up on to the ledge of a building, and was now on the roof. Her smirking face soon vanished as she made her dash towards the hotel.

Last edited:
Reeves approached the rest of the crew that had gathered past the security check. He kept his distance not wanting to integrate too closely with them at the moment. He wasn't terribly comfortable with the crew just yet. He just hoped that with time he could cope with his own problems. It didn't help that there seemed to be a general disagreement within the group and with the unfamiliar Garagen. Shifting from foot to foot with his belongings in hand he found himself wondering when they would get moving again.

He was about to pull out his datalogger and begin to read when Luca announced that they were going to be headed to the hotel now. Reeves was hesitant about joining the group in the taxi because he had no funds to pay for his share of the fare. When Sura mentioned an option to walk he smiled nervously before approaching the group. "I don't mind walking... I've never been here before, so I'm sure I'll see a lot more if I walk than cram into a vehicle. Is is it okay if I come along with you?" He asked. Pheonix gripped his bag tightly as he spoke trying to keep his speech clear and loud enough to hear. He had to address Bronzi as Sura was distracting the other newcomer.

Bronzi paused to watch the banter between Sura and Soruk. The Gartagen's eyes shifted to his left and then down at the ghastly visage that was Pheonix Reeves. Commonly Gartagen were not large people, and were generally around Reeve's size. Bronzi was the exception, and towered over the small silver headed man. Bronzi's girth made gave the illusion that he was nearly as wide as he was tall.

"Aight."

Bronzi reckoned Sura would be fine around Soruk, and if not, then Soruk would have issues on his hands. The Gartagen pulled out a small pin and attached it to his plate of armor on his chest, denoting his rank and political affiliation.

There was a bit of silence as Bronzi strode down the side walk. Bronzi moved with an aura of supreme confidence, and despite his size a good level of grace and agility. Bronzi appearance was brutish, but he moved with a savage grace that conflicted with his general disposition and appearance. "So whats yer job?" Bronzi snorted as he crammed chewing tobacco into his maw.

Tani sighed and followed Bronzi... She wasn't sure if he wouldn't just go off and cause more troubles... The fact was if she was found out here, it would be instant death for her. She was a deserter, it was something that was easy to ignore back when she was start systems away. Now, though in the heart of the empire, she was a bit scared.

If That idiot Gartagan started to cause a problem again she planned on just stunning the hell out of him with her NSP. The man had tried to start a fight right in front of the security check point at the starport... she could only imagine what he would do with out them there.

With most of the crew deciding to walk rather then sit in one of the taxies afraid of being cramped inside changed the situation to taxis not being cramped at all. That was good Zate waited as Luca chatted with the taxi-driver. She watched Gartagens and others walk off. She noticed Sura swiping a blade of the newest Gart. Zeta raised her eyebrows, making a mental note to pay attention to her. When Phoenix made his little comment Zeta smiled at him.

"Enjoy Yamatai. Don't get raped!" She exclaimed with serious face and climbed into the taxi after Luca. Only there she put a grin on her face and took her communicator out. She went and called the hotel reserving rooms for the group. Of course she wanted a nice room with large bed for herself and Luca.

"I don't think that's how Yamataians say hello..." Luca sighed to Zeta. She seemed to be fixated on the subject since the airport and it troubled him somewhat. Over the sounds of the binaural beats, and the cab-shaking bass, Luca was pondering whether it was worth 'saving' a place that never changed. He looked at the skyline from the window and sighed. There was talk of new cultures and talk of assemblies and all that but it simply didn't matter. It wasn't an integration, it was assimilation.

"Okay, heading to the Ishimura now! Seatbelts on!" The cab driver called out as the doors closed and it started to rise. The driver's heads up display was alight with statistics, levels and aerometers. She wasn't using PANTHEON to get her vectors and guide the cab either. Beneath her music, there was the barely audible of the faux-leather creaking on the joystick as her grip tightened and she pushed the thrust pedal down. Allison and Echelon were throwing their hands up in the back of the mostly-empty taxi-van as the thing accelerated. All Luca and Zeta could do was sit back and enjoy the ride.

At least, he could've if there wasn't an extra passenger sitting behind him. A droning wail filled his ears as the world outside turned into streaks of neon and glass. the speed of it was giving her strength as he tried to slow things down mentally to see what he was missing. It wasn't voluntary either, as things sped up around him, his brain tried to slow it all down. He could feel her icy cold hand on his shoulder and creeping up his neck.

The taxi came to a sudden stop in traffic. "Aw man, why's everything all jammed up?" She slapped the joystick a few times and made the taxi-van hover and wait for traffic. The weight of her hand around his neck suddenly faded. He took a sharp breath and touched his neck experimentally and resumed normal breathing as he looked out at a news feed. Apparently a Yamataian Senator was hurt in a car crash a couple of weeks ago, but he managed to escape serious injury and came back to resume his duties at the Yamataian Senate recently - even if he wasn't the most notable or popular of them and a little outspoken.

The taxi trip continued at a slower pace. "Zeta, what do you think Yamataians do with themselves when they're left to their own devices, nothing else to do?"

-

At street level, Yamatai was very, very far removed from Nepleslia. There was a two lane road with parking space running down it, but barely any cars. It was in Yamataian design doctrine to take advantage of the fact that cars could fly. Civilians were walking up and down the street, dressed in all a manner of loose fitting clothing ranging from robes and kimono to appropriated Nepleslian fashions - or at least what Yamataian fashion culture desired of them. Occasionally, the walkers would be greeted by the sight of a Yamataian wearing nothing but an epidermis strolling along casually without a care in the world, shopping in their hands and the breeze at their back (amongst other things).

The other thing that was immediately noticeable was the cleanliness of everything and the sounds around them. If Nepleslia's urban jungle had one tune and a maestro, Yamatai's was a different beast altogether. The sounds of people talking, moving, unity with no percussion to keep the beat of life or the odd scream or siren. And if a siren did sound, it was for only a brief moment before being resolved away from view. There were smiles and nods instead of odd looks and suspicion, replaced by street vendors, entertainers, cafes and peace.

The place was supposed to be a melting pot for cultures to coexist peacefully and a safe haven, but a cloying awkwardness existed in the minds of the walkers, as though it was like someone playing with dolls and sitting them all at a table, giving them personalities and putting words into their mouths when they had ideas of their own. Perhaps it was because those dolls had seen too much to ignore or lived in a different reality to the one being sold here even if the kimonos, the katana and the sidewalk brickwork laid into a norse braid were merely pretences and set dressing. The equivalents on Nepleslia would've been denim jeans, a big fucking gun and colourful graffiti on cracked concrete slabs.

If nothing else, at least you could ogle at the casually naked people and go for some hot noodles from a street vendor and enjoy the sense of serenity that it was trying to portray. It was like watching a film, you just had to let your suspension of disbelief go for a walk if you wanted to enjoy it fully. Even with the occasional aside glance into an alley that lead to a 'massage parlour' or pachinko place with some seedy looking types standing outside it, it was truth that even Yamatai had an underbelly. The overbelly just shone brighter.

Bronzi, Sura and Soruk wouldn't see any of their own kind in this part of the city so close to the Imperial heart, but they could see its sights all around. The fabled nekovalkyrja samurai were floating through the city above the clouds, aloof and distant in both senses. Fierce as fire, swift as the wind and kimono as red as the spilt blood of their enemies (assuming all of their blood was red) as part of the saying went.

"You mean whenver they don't bang each other like rabbits?" Zeta asked back with a smile. It was interesting question really. "Well I lived here only few months, but I don't really think they are that much different then us. I mean if people would not risk a stray bullet, they would prolly fuck in streets of Funky city as well. Seriously now. The folks here are just folks. They are more carefree because ther is very little danger. Most of them does not have to do any kind of work because of the system. And everyone is bloody polite. It is just in their bloods and I don't see anything wrong with that. They play games, eat food, love and have sex like we do. And nekoes? Well for a war machines, they seem pretty nice. Curious about world and what not. I used to be wary about them, but actually being around them here was a new experience and you find that they are just people too. Only they did not have pa nad da, but they were manufactured. On the other hand so was I, so I cannot really hold that against them."

Luca leaned back in his chair and sighed. The two in the back were still bobbing along to the music in the cab. "I guess I envy them then. If their life is so carefree, someone and lots of them has to make it so. All the sacrifices and bloodshed just so these people can screw like rabbits."

He kept on watching the advertising and billboards, able to recall what the hundreds and hundreds of different kanji were supposed to mean. "I wonder if any of them travel offworld to see what it is their protectors fought for and lost?"

"Don't be so gloom." Zeta replied she put her hand on Luca's thigh and leaned against him. She put her head on his shoulder. "They are just normal people. Well some of them, don't forget how many of these blokes are ex-army. They fought hard to enjoy themselves now. Is it not same with you? You do it, not cause someone has to, but becaue you want to. You want to help these people. And if you don't want to do all this stuff anymore than don't. We will move to Ralt, get ourselves nice house and just live our lives. But don't toss blame on these folks, just cause they chose to live easier lives."

Pheonix waved goodbye to the others in the taxi, but he couldn't really suppress his flinch that was in response to the comment about getting raped. Reeves wasn't sure if he could take what Zeta said seriously. Sure, she looked serious enough, but he was never good at reading others. Just to be safe he walked closer to Bronzi. The Gartagen looked like he could be made up of at least two of his body so he felt a little safer walking alongside him. Reeves kept quiet. He simply enjoyed looking at all the strange sights and sounds that barraged his senses.

The way he walked was the complete opposite of his travel companion. He kept his shoulders curled forward slightly and his arms were clutching his bag in front of himself defensively. His posture made him look even smaller than he already was. Smiling pleasantly up at Bronzi, Reeves gave a slight shrug. "I fix and maintain the ship and anything else I'm told to. I can also take a look at issues with the computing systems, though I haven' really had much chance to work on that sort of work in a while." He told him taking care not to let himself go quiet mid sentence. He was lucky he had responded so quickly because the sight of someone strolling down the street in the nude made the young clone's breath catch uncomfortably. Now he really hoped that Zeta was kidding. "What is it that you do for the ship exactly?" He asked. He decided to keep his eyes at the ground and only stare about five feet in front of him to avoid glimpsing the majority of the more, open citizens of Yamatai.

Bronzi was still irritated over the suddenness of Soruk's appearance, but it appeared from this distance, Sura disagreed. Bronzi would be watching the other Gartagen, but for now, he would have the benefit of the doubt.

As the nude woman walked passed them, Bronzi smiled and shifted her a slow nod. "Ma'am." He said softly as Reeves spoke. Bronzi was in high impact combat armor, and had two pistols holstered, one on his hip another on the left side of his torso. He had a blade wrapped in a sheath across his back, and the helmet he normally wore was hanging on his back as well.

"Public relations." Bronzi responded. 'When people needa be made welcome, or has any prollems, im hea ta make sure thay have somebody ta talk to." He said nodding at Reeves.

Bronzi did not sound like he was joking.

Soruk was silent as he walked, despite Sura's questions. He took note of the surroundings, but not looking at their beauty, he only cared for their worth if combat suddenly broke out. He had pulled his hood up, casting a shadow on his face, letting him eye anyone near him in relative safety. Anyone could be a threat at a moment's notice.

He paid almost no mind to Sura, Her questions can wait. Although she is harmles- The thought was stopped short as he felt one of his blades leave his person. By the time he had turned, Sura was out of his reach. Then she ran. I may have underestimated her.

When Sura had climbed the building, Soruk raised his right bracer, pulled the primer, and launched a grappling spear at the lip of the ledge. He was thrown into the air, reeled up to the roof. When he was level with the spear, it pulled itself back into the gauntlet, and he hit the ground running, utilizing the momentum from the maneuver. She made a mistake when she stopped to turn around, she should've just kept running. Now, she has lost her headstart.

Soruk was all too familiar with running along rooftops, chasing someone down. It wouldn't take long for Soruk to catch up to Sura, and promptly tackle her. He stood up, and offered her a hand, "I do not advise that you try that again." When she was back on her feet, he would continue, "Though your skill is admirable."

Soruk easily took Sura down. Sura was quick and agile, but Soruk clearly matched her. Sura delivered a swipe at Soruk's hand with a sword. The mischievous young woman had the skill for sneaking around and stealing when she needed to but it was obvious she had no combat training.

Soruk would no doubt dodge the swipe, but Sura stood her ground; defiantly looking at Soruk, almost fustraited.. She held the Sheshka with both hand (rather then with a single hand, as per Pygrin striking techniques). "I never had anybody catch me before..." Sura huffed in fustraition. "And I am not about to let that happen today!" She said lunging forward with the required speed and grace, but exhibiting 0 skill and technique."

Soruk's wrist flashed, and the Sheshka met his hidden blade, the Rura. He deflected it away, sliding the Rura down the edge of the blade until it hit the hilt. His other arm came up, forearm against Sura's chest. Her forward motion was stopped, and he wasted no time in forcing her to release the sheshka, in which he quickly twirled and tucked it into his cross-sheathe on his back. He remained in that position, "You have the speed, but you lack the skill."

He took a step back and watched her, She has potential, but she lacks guidance. His hand danced over the hilt of a Sheshka, which he unsheathed, and examined it. "Perhaps... I can remedy that." He offered her the hilt of the blade. This one was still hand-forged and made of Sarquahi, but lacked the intricate designs of Soruk's hand.

Sura was stunned.

"Holy shit...."

Sura took the blade, reluctantly. She had seen this --- on tv, in books. But never up close.

"What is a blade master doing so far from home?" Sura said backing up.

Soruk unbelted the single sheathe that the mentioned Sheshka had been residing in, and handed it to Sura. It wasn't anything special, no engravings or decorations, just a black sheathe.

"As I mentioned at the airport, I am in search of my parents. However..." He gestured at the Sheshka he gave her, "... it seems I may be entwining myself in other matters as well."

He looked around, as they were still on a roof. "I will show you how to use it later. I will also tell you what learning from me entails, however we should continue moving. Being late is not a habit of mine... and while under me, it will not be a habit of yours."

Last edited:
After a bit of walking Tani noticed the two Gartengans split up, Now that they weren't going to be an issue she gave a shrug and started to float up to a nice cruising altitude. She was planning on just zipping off towards the hotel, which in her defense she did. though not far form the hotel there was a bunch of lights and sound emanating form one of the street side buildings. Dropping down she went to investigate.

With a big stupid grin on her face she found a Karaoke Bar. She knew she was home! She figured she had picked up enough time flying to at least have a drink and maybe a few songs. Tani wondered in, the noise was almost deafening, Yam-pop being blasted out with a limed Neko butchering the lyrics. That of coarse just brought a larger smile out.

She moved up to the bar and ordered some fruity boozy drink and slipped into a booth. Once she sat down and set her drink on the table, a volumetric display kicked up with a menu or songs and a regurstry to get in que for the main stage. There were also sub menus for little cubical style stages for private groups.

"Public relations..." Phoenix repeated the phrase, not entirely sure if Bronzi was oversimplifying his position. He felt like someone as intimidating as the Garatagen would do well at dealing with troublesome people on top of taking care of the concerns of others. Then again, Reeves was intimidated by nearly everyone around him. "I guess that makes sense, You sort of made me feel welcome in your own way."

Getting tired of holding his bag over one shoulder he switched it to the other. The heaviest things he owned were his tools. the clone didn't have much else so a single bag was more than light enough to carry across the city.

Luca, Zeta, Allison, Echelon and their beats-heavy taxi driver had touched down near the Ishimura Heights Hotel was nearby. Carved into a marble stone and inlaid with black ink was the kanji for the hotel name, standing proudly in the middle of a fountain with four water spurts spraying inwards, creating a curved cube. Yamataian coins could be seen in the bottom of it from people who believed a wing and a prayer could be what saved them. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't - it bought them peace of mind though and maybe that was all they required.

"Alright here's the place - want me to get someun' to carry your luggage?" the taxi driver inquired, ears flicking a little as she turned the volume down for them now that the ride was over.

"It's fine, thanks," Luca replied as Allison and Echelon started walking from the back, past him and Zeta with their suitcases carried over their heads. They approached the gates of the hotel and waved to the valets and the busboys with wide smiles on their face. "You really made those two happy though."

"All part of the ride, friend," the taxi driver replied back. "You have yourself a good time, Mr. Hero." She then put her index and middle fingers on his right cheek, where the scars were. Luca's neck moved backwards a little as he examined the fingers and fingernails. "I don't care how banged up you look, you're still a hero to me."

Then Luca became aware of something. Since he arrived on Yamatai, he was able to figure out which people were travellers, and which ones remained earthbound. It was the dirty looks, the leers at the sight of imperfection. The Yamataians wanted everything to be perfect but it was a crying shame that the tourists, expatriates and their interstellar travellers could not.

Bronzi, Soruk, Sura, Reeves, Makari and Tani (in the Karaoke bar) could feel it in the air, that cloying feeling between disgust, curiosity and intrigue being flung their way, wavering between all of them. Gartagens were not perfect, Nepleslians and Geshrin were not perfect; nor were Nekovalkyrja soldiers with six months of leave and a good voice for karaoke. It was silent judgement from the older Yamataians, or perhaps envy for an eventful life from the younger.

At least for them, the hotel was in sight now, at the end of the street about a kilometre away. They could make out a yellow shape too, possibly the taxi that Luca and the others who weren't game to walk took. Between them and the hotel, to the left they could see a sprawling park cloistered . It was the Yamataian Imperial Gardens. The epitome of manicured perfection, walked through by the shiny, happy people who never suffered from skin problems, dental problems, cybernetic limb or organ replacements, old age or even doubt that they were living in a bloody lie. Tell them about the last one and it could make their head turn inwards.

Further past the gardens was the Imperial Palace, where the Yamataian Senate lived. Ten blocks away from and facing the Empress' palace, unable to escape its shadow even at noon. Men and women in uniform and suits were walking in and out of the Palace gates, guarded by the incredible military presence of Kyoto. What stood out among them was one senator with their left arm in a cast. A bald Nepleslian man in his early fifties. Imperfection on two legs in terms of career choice and looks, but he didn't care. He was trying to be happy no matter what others thought.

"Th-thanks," Luca replied as he passed her some banknotes, she counted them, and he gave him some change. He then exited the vehicle with his suitcase in one hand, and Zeta's hand in the other and together they walked towards the front desk along plush red perfect carpet. He pulled open his communicator and gave Enzo a ring, "Alright, I'll give you our room bookings in a moment, Enzo. I'm just waiting for the others to show up." He looked around the lobby and did not see his rogue. "Where are you anyway?"

The lady at the front desk had perfect ears, teeth, and a lovely smile, even if it was artificial. You just had to believe it was real as she bowed down, and not a single strand of her ruby red hair fell on her face. "Mr. Pavone, thank you for choosing the Ishimura Heights," he pulled his communicator from his ear and smiled at the woman without parting his lips and unsurprised that he was recognised that quickly. "Are you expecting company?" the clerk asked. He nodded back politely. "Then feel free to take a seat, wait and order refreshments."

So he did. As he sat down with an ice cold can of experimental Phoenix Energy! in one hand and his communicator in the other, he sent Seiren a message. "ETA for you and 'beka?" They weren't too far, their taxi was following Luca's diligently unless they'd requested a detour. Allison and Echelon had already gone inside and were sampling what the hotel had to offer them, going immediately to the massage facilities together.

Nekos aside, Makari was not overly impressed with Yamatai. In fact, he wasn't impressed at all. Everything was too clean. Where was all the dirt, the grime, the muggings? He was simply not at home in a place so....perfectly perfect. In fact, the cleanliness made his skin crawl. Makari really hoped they would leave here soon, but a sinking feeling told him they would be here a while. The leering eyes didn't bother him much, Makari was somewhat used to such stares from the bounties he captured and their friends he had maimed in the process (no one ever came quietly). "If this is a vacation prank," Makari said to no one in particular, "I hope Luca exposes it as such and we got back to good ol' Nepleslia. I feel that if we stay too long, this façade of perfectness is going to crash down on our heads. Or theirs." He gestured to the surrounding buildings and people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back