• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Eucharis [Mission 22.2] Echoes of the Past - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bridge

Mitsuko wasn't quite sure how to respond to that question, hesitating for a moment. "Well I made the suggestion when they were discussing the problems associated with their plan. She seemed to think it was a good idea." She returned the smile, although hers seemed less amused and more wry. She wouldn't have any problem with missing the action. After another bow, she made her way to a free station and settled in. It only took her a few moments to find the data Kale was sending back to the Eucharis for Charisma to handle. She began preparing for the video feeds and sensor data, taking this brief moment before the investigation began to doublecheck the ship's sensors for any further data about the wreck, or any possible signs of life.

Armour Bay

Taharial looked out the door and smiled as she went to the door, She looked around at the others hoping her medic skills were not needed for this mission as much as last mission, her armour was heavier and bulkier than she was used to but she was happy to have it, it was safer then running around in rubber.

Taharial looked over at the building and gulped, her first two days and already has seen more action than she thought she would, it was amazing and she loved every minute of it.

Reactions: Wes
Bridge

Natsumi frowned heavily as Mitsuko was admitted onto the bridge and then started doing her job. She turned to face Hanako and stood up. There was little enough for the bridge staff to do as it was with the Eucharis landed and immobile, to have Logistics come in and take what little work was left for herself and Stark was absurd.

"Shosho, With all due respect, I believe the handling and gathering of data of any form falls under the purview of Operations" she began. "And while I can understand your desire to cross train the ships company, would that not be better served within a proper training environment, rather than on a mission where a landing parties lives are at risk by having an unqualified member of the logistics staff manning the remote sensor feeds rather than trained and experienced operations personnel?" she asked, her red eyes glancing to Mitsuko, then back to Hanako. Or should I report to the hangar and start re organizing the ships supplies? she did not add, keeping that last thought to herself.

Power Armour Bay -> Above Moon Surface

"That's long enough to test things out." Tsuguka spoke purely through radio transmission, but she was facing Kale as she did so. "Just tell me if the mental stress becomes to great, and we can cut it off. No reason to burn yourself out. If the system seems advantageous enough to use again, we can either work out some kind of digital command app for Neko use, or perhaps a hardwired command module that fits onto one of the power armour's back mounts..."

The glance continued to several more seconds than it had to, but the unspoken end to the sentence was obvious. Kale having a Nekovalkyrja's digital brain himself would have made the test a lot more efficient, but Tsuguka had learned the hard way in the last few weeks about saying things which sounded that self-superior. Truth was, that whole self-identity thing was still just something the red neko simply couldn't parse.

"Okay. Let's get out there."

Lifting off slowly at first using the gravity direction system alone, the armored figure regarded each one of her comrades in turn, insuring that they looked fully equipped and combat capable. It was a strange feeling, not quite having the feeling of one body and one mind that her training unit had gained, but still beginning to find herself caring about them in a different way. It was so desperately inefficient, but also somehow... warmer?

The nerotic consideration was shook from her head. There was work to do.

Advancing beyond the containment field, she gave a hearty thumbs up towards Akiashiro before gradually throttling up her plasma thrusters to an appreciable level, giving the others ample time to catch up and stay in formation. The three dimensional model now being simultaneously overlapped with her senses, like a strange kind of third eye, made tracking both the position from the floor and her team members flawlessly simple.

"Get the scout drones ready and keep your eyes open this time. Stick to standard radio channels, no lasers. If the enemy sees us coming from a mile off, I'd prefer that we force them to react before we are knees-deep in their fortifications this time."

Of course, there was no proof just yet that there were enemies at all on this occasion, but as far as Tsuguka was concerned, her chief objective was always going to be the safety of the team. All of the science business could be left up to the technicians, and going in over-prepared was a thousand times better than being caught with their knickers down again.

"Shosho Ketsurui, we have begun launch procedures and are on route to the crashed vessel."

Moon Surface

Aikiko spotted Tugs exiting the Eucharis. She quickly rose up off the ground and took the right side of Tsuguka. She stayed even with Tsuguka online, letting the other find their spot as she advanced towards the derelick up ahead. She looked thoughtful.

With gaps in the hull plating of the derelick, it would be easier to cut away the plating if they needed a bigger opening than to waste explosives. Aikiko smiled at having the explosive. She would have the options of making new passage ways, while hindering the enemy. She looked over the crew that was coming with the team. Interesting mix to say the least.

Bridge

"You should have spoken up earlier because now you are second-guessing my orders in front of the other crew," Hanako told Natsumi. "It is improper and comes off as as selfish. But...that aside, you are right that we should be giving the away team our best."

The Shosho turned to Mitsuko. "Natsumi seems to think your help is interfering with her duties, so please leave the bridge," she said.

"Shosho Ketsurui, we have begun launch procedures and are on route to the crashed vessel."

"Away Team Leader, this is Eucharis. We copy. Proceed with your investigation," Hanako responded.

Bridge

Natsumi bristled. Just when the hell was she supposed to have spoken up earlier? The nerve, calling her selfish and improper for stating what was best for the landing party!

She wanted the Shosho to tell her exactly when she was to have spoken up earlier? Murakami-Hei coming to the bridge and stating her intention just now was the first she had heard of the issue. She dropped back into her chair at Operations, not looking at anyone, her red eyes fixed on the display screen in front of her. Maybe it was how alone she had been feeling since everyone else she had called her close friends had left that made the normally quiet and polite operator feel so frustrated and short with the way things were going, she did not know, she just wanted to scream in rage right now.

If there had been some prior conversation elsewhere on the ship, she had not been present for it. Her duties called for her to report to the bridge and man her station as soon as her shift began. It was illogical to call her out for not speaking up earlier on something she had absolutely no idea was happening until just then! Natsumi immediately plugged herself into SPINE, letting the overwhelming rush of information from the Eucharis' systems and sensors carry her away from her line of thought, giving her something to detract her from it and focus her on her duties.

Bridge

Mitsuko had been absorbed in her search for information, so she missed most of the conversation, only looking up from the station when the captain turned to address her. She seemed a bit confused, looking between the two, taking her a few seconds to properly parse the request and the fierce expression on Natsumi's face. "Oh...okay." The Neko needed a moment to process the sudden change of plans, but it happened often enough with dealing with Hanako that she wasn't thrown off for long. It only took a few brief commands to clear the station out again, rerouting everything she'd set up and begun handling over to Natsumi's station.

She stood just as Natsumi returned to her seat. Murakami didn't seem upset, although she was slightly frustrated that she'd wasted effort discussing this with the Away Team and captain, not to mention venturing onto the Bridge to put the plan into action. "I suppose if Yamashiro-Hei had attended the meeting you called us to, Shosho, this could have all been avoided." She bowed towards all three crew members on the Bridge in general. "I'm sorry. Excuse me." She turned and left the Bridge quietly, planning to stop by the Wardroom for a beverage and a short break while she considered the best way to assist this current dangerous mission after the change in plans.

Mitsuko had always considered Natsumi a friend, but time spent with that civilian had soured the other Neko's attitude, and their relationship as well. After the outsider's departure - which had really been inevitable - Natsumi's disposition sadly had not improved. Considering this incident, things might have actually gotten worse. All the more reason to continue avoiding any entanglements with the rest of the crew. She'd return to the Cargo Bay, and focus on her duties.

Armour Bay -> surface

Taharial smiled and jumped out the bay door then activated her thrusters on as smiled "this is better than I thought it was going to be, not as good as really flying but still better than being carried everywhere." Taharial floated over towards Aikiko and Tsuguka and gulped a bit "the medic is here and ready" she chuckled as she tried to flutter her wings, it failed because the armour surrounding her wings didn't move that well at the moment "still better than yesterday" she looked around slowly seeing if there was anything that they might find useful.

Surface

The four scout drones flew on ahead of the group, under Kale's watchful eye. First they would take an overal surface scan of the crash sight hoting of important features and taking samples of the various materials used to make the ship.

Code:
Parse data feed request, origin: Yamashiro, Natsumi.

"What the!" he muttered softly expecting Mitsuko on the data stream rather then the pilot. He shook his head.

'must have been a change of plan, ah well.'

Code:
Parse successful: Access Granted

"Natsumi-san, the drones are online and transmitting, hows the signal reception up there? Not sure if you heard the entirety of what's going on but in essence we need you to monitor the feed and maniulate it in real time, catch what the drones miss and such, MEGAMI should be doing most of the heavy lifting but your assistance is certainly appreciated."

Initial uplink settled Kale fell into step with the rest of the away team.

Reactions: Wes
Incoming shuttle

Sigurd was a tensed rookie of a Santô Hei as the Kuma T8 Multi-roll Shuttle approached the YSS Eucharis, his first duty assignment. He requested the assignment at the end of his training and considered himself quite lucky to have been granted it.
"Twenty seconds 'til docking" the pilot announced.
Sigurd closed the eyes and draw some deep breaths. No reason to be nervous. Thousands of soldiers were at the same point before you. You're trained for your duty.
The shuttle shook slighty as it made contact with the ship, some clicking sound and finally the pilot declared: "Shuttle docked, airlock secure. You may leave, Bjarnison-hei."
That being said the adressed rose from his seat, grabbed is stuff out off the locker and headed for the airlock. As he passed the cockpit hatch thanked the pilot for the flight and wished him save travels, then he boarded the ship that should be his home for an undetermined time.

YSS Eucharis

Passing the airlock Sigurd found himself in the 0-G passageway of the Eucharis. He was glad that he prepared himself for his first post and therefore studied the internal layout of the Plumeria Class, so he had no significant trouble finding the bridge. He did notice though, that the Eucharis had some major differences from the standard of her class like the very airlock he entered the ship.
As he arrived on deck 2 he dropped his equipment on the side of the hallway in a way that, hopefully, wouldn't trouble anyone. Then he checked that he got his orders at hand, draw another deep breath an stepped into the bridge's hatch. As he saw Shôshô Ketsurui sitting in the middle of the room he snapped to attention and saluted.
"Santô Hei Bjarnison, reporting for duty. Permission to come aboard, ma'am?"

YSS Eucharis - Bridge

Hanako blinked. "That was fast," she commented, before rising to greet the new member of the crew. "Permission granted. Welcome aboard the YSS Eucharis, flagship of the First Expeditionary Fleet's gunship squadrons. I am Shosho Hanako, her captain." Hanako was a short, slender woman with aquamarine hair that faded to purple at the bottom, and big expressive golden eyes that lingered on Sigurd for a moment. "Bjarnison Sigurd...I had a Sigurd that served on one of my previous ships, the Sakura, and we was an android of the mechanical type. But I see that you are neither a mechanical or biological android but a human. I hope you will be able to keep up with the rest of us....no offense intended," Hanako said, highlighting his lack of flight and telepathy that Nekovalkyrja and their Minkan cousins shared. "I hope you do not mind me asking, but I do have a question: You have a college degree. Is there a reason you did not become an officer, and would you like to be one?"

Planet Surface - Wrecked Starship

Taharial, Tsuguka, and Aikiko made it past the jagged rocks and into the crater where the crashed ship had rested for who-knows-how-long. Its manged corpse was split at some of the lower seams, leaving dark gaps between hull plates. As their drones explored, they found many of the gaps appeared to have been sealed with some sort of rubberized tarp, preventing entry.

YSS Eucharis - Bridge

Sigurd removed his right hand from his head to his side still standing at attention. He was a tall man, wearing his duty uniform, with blue-gray eyes and short, neatly combed blond hair and a distinctive scar at his right forehead.
"I'd have no problem becoming an officer if I prove to be up to it, ma'am", he replied briefly.

Planet Surface

Taharial looked at the wreckage not liking the whole feeling of this, now close enough to see that a lot of the gaps were covered she had a feeling something was living in there and didn't want anyone to disturb it. Taharial's happiness about her armour had faded quickly as she held her gun closely and was glad for all the weaponry on her power armour as she became more worried what was in there, being the only person who if they died wouldn't be able to just be recreated made her more nervous.

Taharial was relieved that Tsuguka and Aikiko were with her, this helped her nervousness as she thought of them and Dirjon as friends being with them a lot more than anyone else on the ship, she decided to wait for the others to enter ship first and come in behind protecting the one who came back to active duty on the Eucharis when she come aboard the ship.

Surface

The clumps of turbulence above the cratered landscape clattered and waned rapidly as the group accelerated towards the target. The stunted little planetoid's gravity wasn't just too weak to hold an atmosphere, it was apparently too weak to drag all of the floating clouds of silicate grime all the way down to the ground, too.

"Any way we can get a surface density reading of some kind, Kale-Hei? Dirjon-Hei?...." Tsuguka's mind swam through half a dozen half-remembered environmental facts from old lectures, constantly considering and reconsidering the situation from every angle. A firing solution was prepared for the approaching shuttle, friendly FOF signal or not. Subconsciously, the nekovalkyrja's mind was going as far as considering how she would defend the downed spacecraft herself, and ways to counteract such a situation. The three dimensional model system was like having a perfect map of the battlefeild handed to her on a platter, and her brain was working in overdrive just trying to keep up. Who knew what it was like for Kale's un-digitised senses... "I'm worried that this body might be a rubble pile... Or maybe the gas giant is causing cryovolcanos?..."

"Everyone, just remember to stick to staggered formation as we approach. This is important, I don't want anybody acting independently... If the situation turns ugly, I'd prefer to immediately take off and shell the place at arm's length." The red lynx was using a stern tone, cold and resolute. She wasn't willing to tolerate any mistakes this time, not from herself or anyone else. "We are going to drop right next to the downed structure, twenty meters north. I'm sending flagged approach coordinates to your HUD systems. Santo Hei Akiashiro is taking point, I'm behind her."

Perhaps ironically, Akiashiro was the only one in the team who probably didn't recognize the drop procedure being sent to their displays. It was a textbook Yamataian fortification assault deployment.

~~~Bridge~~~

Sitting at her station Tony marveled at all of the traffic moving into the bridge. It was getting pretty crowed in there. She really didn't have much to do, so she started working up flight and combat plans for around the crashed ship. She figured if something happened she would have a few plans to choose from in a quick fashion. Far faster then she would be able to react from the get go.

As she wrote the combat files she watched the black haired neko and the new crew member. She really didn't know what to make of either of them.

Bridge

"We will see if we can make that happen once you have proven yourself, then," Hanako informed Sigurd. She should use some more officers on the ship. "Go ahead and take over the science station. Cadet Stark, I am going to move you to mission operations station, where you can help oversee the team. So the bridge positions are now Natsumi on starship operations, Sigurd on the science station, and Stark at the Mission Operation Communication station. As you can see, we are in the middle of an investigation of an old starship crash site on this rocky planet, Splorfin III. The conditions are a trace atmosphere and slightly less than standard gravity...eighty-six percent. Do you have any questions or scans you need to run?"

fetch.php

YSS Eucharis - Bridge

Sigurd listened very attentively when the Shôshô mentioned the crashed starship. He didn't know that before, because the shuttle had no windows in the passenger compartment, and his curiosity started up immediately. Where did it come from? Why did it crash? Who build it? Of what is it build? What drive systems did it use?... He put aside those thoughts for now and concentrated on the Shôshô again.
"I have to check the available data to see what further scans might be needed, ma'am", he replied. "I should mention that my equipment is right outside the bridge right now. You may want me to get it somewhere more secure first."

Last edited:
Planet Surface / Wrecked ship

Aikiko looked over the display sent to her as she sped through the silicate dust that floated in the air, creating eddies within the dust particles. She slowed down as she got closer to the derelict to prevent kicking up more unwanted particles.

Her manipulator arms were digging out the proper set of explosives to create a breech in the hull. She was eyeing one of the places where there was no hull plating, but the rubbery-looking substance in the gaps between the plating.

She switched to the over all view of the derelict, in order to get a better look. She held up her hand to stop the advance of the others as she studied the data being sent and comparing it to the actual derelict.
She hovered there, as she continued to go through the data. “Can anyone get a solid confirmation on what is inside this Derelict? Is there an actual atmosphere that we may be endangering sentient beings that may have taken up residence?”

Surface

"According to the readings im getting the ground here is less dense then universal standard though that may be due to the lower gravity. This less dense layer is at least a kilometre thick. I can't get any readings beyond that though. As for the ship's interior. I think I'm going to have to set the drones up on the ships outer hull. That should allow me to do ultrasonics and sonar. Unfortunately the armour shielding is blocking most of the scan capabilities of our standard drones. Give me five minutes and I'll have something for you."

Kale directed the four little robots to differant points on the ships hull to gather samples of the material composition as well as start scanning the interior. As such, the mostly low level data rate between the ship and away team which had been a slow trickle of information increased to an onrushing torrent as results and analysis results began to flash through the neural interface. Silently he hoped the bridge crew was paying close attention. There was no way he could deal with this data on his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back