• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

RP: YSS Miharu Mission 3, Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
"You can count on seeing more action in the future. Our objective is still ahead of us, we just accomplished one more mission that brings us closer." Nyton said reassuringly. He paused for a second and then shook his head.

"I think we're done here for today. You go on ahead with any other duties you have as well. Again, good work." the Nepleslian finished with a nod.

Miyoko didn't need to turn around to know that she'd gotten to Sanjuro with the book-smack. If nothing else, the sprites' giggles made that clear for her. Literally getting the last laugh, hm?

Fitting, since her next move was to walk straight to her room purposefully, flop down on the bed, and instruct the datapad she'd gotten from Sanjuro to play its final message.

After the two nekos had finished laughing at the doctor's expense and also waiting for him to be done arranging his books the two stand in nurses then began to approach Sanjuro.

The blue haired one looked as though she were about to begin laughing again until the blonde smacked her side to help her get it under control. As soon as she was certain she could keep from bursting out laughing the blue haired neko then addressed Sanjuro.

"Excuse us Ashitaka-Heisho, but Azumi and I were wondering if it would be possible for us to join your crew. We really did enjoy working here as your nurses and well, we figured we could go for a change after serving on the Sekkou. Not that it was a bad ship we just think we're ready for a change of scenery." the blue haired neko said.

"Yeah Ayumu and I thought maybe you could use some more people to help you in the medical bay in future missions so now would be as good a time as any to make a jump." Azumi added.

"Same thing here, except i've got a bit more to repair and replace than a helmet, not to mention cleaning the blood off of it" Kai replied to Yoroko, before adding telepathically "No trouble. I was simply doing my job." The Yamataian got to work, first attacking the burnt shoulder unit, pulling the hunk of charred armor containing the shield generator off of the armor with his tools and unceremoniously dropping it to the floor. He prodded the charred hemosynthetic flesh underneath, noting that a Synthetic insert as opposed to a fleshy one would have taken the heat better. "Perhaps you could help me once your helmet is fixed, Ne?"

By the time to two nekos had worked up the nerve to approach the doctor, Sanjuro had already resumed his seat behind his desk and was attempting to salvage what he could from his datapad. Although the screen was definitely broken beyond use, he had been hoping to perhaps find some manner of memory unit or hard drive in the thing. His experience with such technical matters, however, limited him to simply poking around in the remains with a ballpoint pen in hopes that it might somehow expel his desired component.

Sanjuro gave the two his attention when Ayumu and Azumi said their piece. Putting the pen down and entwining his fingers on top of the desk, the doctor looked over each of them. They were young, physically attractive, immediately friendly, seemingly eager, much like most nekos were. However if previous experiences with these types of women had taught him anything, one in particular still fresh on his mind, it was that their qualities don't make up for inexperience...or willingness to gain the necessary knowledge.

"I see...tell me, how much experience do you two have in the medical field?" Sanjuro asked through emotionless eyes and a droll tone.

---

As Miyoko moved through the menus to play the audio-titled "Sanjuwoooo~!", the message prompted her to open the message, which she of course accepted as it opened the video file. At first, the large screen of Miyoko's datapad was dark and unmoving, the only thing verifying that the video was even in play being the artificial noise of recorded audio and an occasional shuffling noise.

Then, suddenly, there was a girl.

The camera seemed to shake as the screen reveal a young girl, who set about peering into the lens of the camera with brilliant bright green eyes before placing the camera down on top of an unseen table. The little girl ran a few steps back into the room, which appeared to be a sort of study, the back wall lined with bookshelves and the makings of a computer desk slightly visible on the right.

The girl herself, a Yamataian of no more than three years of age from first appearances, was almost laughably similar to everyone's favorite medical officer. Her hair was jet black, and cut in a short style. Her slightly long face, emerald green eyes; she looked almost exactly like Sanjuro and at the same time nothing like Sanjuro, simply because the little girl was smiling ear to ear. Sanjuro, on the other hand, had not smiled once for the duration of his stay on the Miharu. At least, not in front of anybody. She was wearing, strangely enough, a green tu-tu and off-white stockings, but no shoes over the feet.

"Sanjuwoooo~!" The titular call emerged from the girls mouth as she put her hands behind her back and and swayed slightly as she continued, the green filmy fabrics of her tu-tu swinging softly with her. "It's Pai. Okay?" At first, 'Pai' seemed a little embarrassed, her motions easily giving away her demeanor. "Okay, sooo...Mom an' Dad didn' get to go to my ruh...ree-sai-tall, an' I know you towd us to send you the video."

"AND! And I know you towd me not to touch Dad's camewa, but Rika's with her boyfwiend an' Gunpei is pwacticin' and Mom an' Dad are at wowk soo..." the little Yamataian sped through her explanation, a little red-faced at her apparent disregard for rules. Pai brightened up, however, clenching her fists in front of her in determination before speaking up again. "BUT! But since I didn' wecord the ruh...recital, I thought I'd just do my dance here. So...here we go!"

Pai trotted over to the camera again, her hands reaching beyond the camera as they activated an unseen audio device. The little girl trotted back to the center of the room and took a starting position, seconds before the audio began playing an upbeat instrumental tune. For the next six or so minutes, Pai danced.

It wasn't anything spectacular or impressive, but considering her age, it was most likely the best her level of skill could accomplish. Although most of her routine went through without a hitch, about mid-way through the makeshift performance Pai tripped up a little...but was able to gracefully correct herself, only suffering from a little damp eyes and a red face. When the music ended, Pai bowed for a moment, her body heaving as she breathed heavily. After that short moment, she trotted back over to the camera, picked it up and smiled into it.

"Okay, bye Sanjuwo! Come back an' visit us!" Pai gave her farewell, raising one hand to wave goodbye into the lens. However, the camera she was using must have been fairly large or unwieldy, as seconds after she began waving the view slipped away from her as the camera fell to the floor, shuddering the screen heavily and sending breaks of static through the picture. The final few seconds of the video mail was spent looking at Pai's small, stockinged feet as they scrambled to and fro, her voice wafting into the microphone.

"Uh oh! Uh oh! UH OH!"

"Well then, I'll excuse myself," Takuma said, bowing to his superior before leaving the room.

Well, now all that's left to do is face the consequences for my actions on the mission. I wonder, will I be fired, demoted, or stay my rank? Being fired would seem a little much, but who knows? Claymere-Taii said I'd have more chances t fight, so I'll pretend that means my job is slightly secure...ish... As for being demoted... I'm sure of it.

Takuma sighed slightly at the thought, but never lost his smile. It's the road I carved for myself, so I'll walk it. I'm not in a hurry to try and gain ranks, anyway. I want to see sights and challenge myself. I can't very well lead others unless I can lead myself.

The last possibility, staying my rank. That's probably only possible if they feel sorry about my arm being dismembered. Which they won't, since in reality it wasn't THAT bad... it just hurt... a lot... Also, the exercise just now could help, but like I said earlier, that was to prove I wasn't useless, not to save my rank. Anyway, I better say goodbye to my rank. It was nice having it. Perhaps I'll see it in the future, but in better shoes.

His rambling and wandering feet led him back to his room. He took a seat next to his laptop and started opening various files. With the field test his programs received, Takuma figured it would be a good time to tweak some programs while writing some new ones.

"Miharu, if anyone wants my help or if something technical needs to be done, feel free to attack me. I'm just improving the attack programs from earlier."

Nyton let Takuma go and nodded as he departed. With that done he then looked around himself at the empty room. He had an idea for a simulation he wanted to run himself through but it would be better run later when there was less chance for interruption. With that he left, returning to his room to finish cleaning it up and straightening things out. If there was nothing else going on he figured he could finish up in time for dinner and the mission debrief.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Azumi and Ayumu both straightened up a bit when Sanjuro began to inquire to their experiences. Azumi started first with her own background. "I'm primarily trained as a caretaker but I also cross trained into medical support as an auxiliary in case of emergencies. I recently finished qualification training on using hemosynthetic chambers but I haven't gotten familiar with anything beyond just using it. I mostly got trained in performing first aid with some background on nutrition in line with my main caretaker role. Before working here I had a little bit of experience helping out my ship's doctor with minor injuries but for the most part I just have proficiencies. Since our crew was mainly nekos I didn't get to see any surgeries or stuff like that. Ayumu was still teaching me stuff before we got captured." she explained, slightly embarrassed at her lack of real experience.

Ayumu saw that her friend was done and decided to chime in. "I was a registered nurse in one of the smaller hospitals back home on Yamatai before I enlisted. I am experienced in surgical support, trauma procedures, first aid, and pediatrics. I have proficiencies in practical pharmaceuticals and hemosynthetic systems. I could have applied for a doctor's position but I enjoy being a nurse more and want to continue serving as such. I served as a nurse onboard the Sekkou although I have to admit I was more than a little overwhelmed during our rescue, Heisho. If you and Ketsurui-Hime had not been there to direct me while we were still on that horrible planet I do not know what I would have done." she said.

Nyton arrived to his quarters, but found out he had much more to clean up than he had initially anticipated.

Opening of his door saw several yellow rubber ducks, the flat-legless kind that kids could bring with them in a bath (and that squeaked once squeezed), spill out in the corridor. His quarters, to his befuddlement, was filled up to his waist with them.

Whoever had done this, the job of filling his room with them was unbelievably thorough. The perpetrator had even had the gall to leave up a volumetric window open for the Nepleslian.

Ducks, like you, seem cool and serene on the surface... even if they paddle like crazy under the surface. No one notices how hard they really work.

Have a pleasant day being in likeminded company!

Sanjuro kept a steady gaze between the two of them for the duration of their explanations, his expression unchanging throughout their lists of experiences. When it was all said and done with, Sanjuro released and re-entwined his hands and leaned back a bit.

"Well...while it isn't my place to assign myself assistants, the most recent mission has proven that some extra, competent helping hands could be beneficial for Ketsurui-Shoi and myself. I would have to inquire to the captain about your positions. As for your personal experiences..."

Sanjuro turned to Azumi first, giving her a critical stone-faced glare. "I have to say...A-Azumi," Sanjuro paused uncharacteristically for a moment, as if deciding whether or not to actually use the neko's name. "That your knowledge is indeed apparently lacking. The courses you've taken in caretaking, especially the nutrition proficiencies, seem to have taken precedence over your work in medical support...something I am very critical about," the doctor admitted as he explained his position. "Being a medical officer is not something that should be thought of as a 'job on the side', so to speak. The work we do is very important; we work to preserve life, and that isn't something anyone should ever take lightly. So you will have to understand my inclination to reject your offer," Sanjuro said critically. Suddenly, Sanjuro's glare softened...or rather, turned no-so-sharp, relaxing into a simple stare as he repositioned himself in his seat.

"However, I can see that you might have some devotion to learning the practices...something a previous assistant of mine failed to show," the medical officer continued. "If you are willing to take steps to further yourself in medical support, through either Ketsurui-Shoi, Ayumu or myself, I believe you can become a good assistant. IF," Sanjuro said critically. "IF you are willing to take the steps."

When Sanjuro had finished with Azumi, he turned to Ayumu. His look changed once again, and although it would take a true mind-reader to tell, took on a more appreciative tone. "So, you say you were a registered nurse...I would love to see your credentials, maybe even the names of the hospitals you've worked in on Yamatai. You seem confident in your knowledge, which I personally respect, and despite being offered Doctor positions you've chosen nursing and assist. I am glad to see you've chosen what you believe you're best at as well as what you want to do. Pending some investigation and maybe some recommendations from your previous employers, I could recommend you for a nurse position here."

Sanjuro threw stolid looks between the two of them. "I could recommend both of your for a position. If you feel up to the challenge," the doctor finished, pausing for a couple of seconds as the continued to look between the two. At first, it looked as though he was going to say something, opening his mouth and breathing in slightly; instead, there was another pause. Finally, Sanjuro was able to spit it out.

"...and if I could get your surnames, as well...I would appreciate it."

Nyton was actually taken by surprise by the downpour of ducks that spilled out from his room and into the corridor. For a few seconds he stood there, disbelief on his face, before he bent down and picked up one of the ducks. He then read the volumetric window again. "But these ducks don't have legs. Is someone telling me I don't work hard enough?" he said aloud, slightly puzzled.

With a sigh of resignation, since this would take some time, he began to look for some means of storing the ducks for disposing. There were very few candidates who could be guilty of this. Most of the regular crew was busy and he suspected didn't really have much motivation to pull pranks on him. "So, Miharu do you think you could give me a hand cleaning up? You seem to be in quite the playful mood lately. Has our guest made you more aware to the cathartic effect of practical jokes?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Of course I'm willing to train! Just point me in the right direction Heisho-san! I wanted to change jobs from caretaker so I started learning stuff. I just didn't get far before we all got captured." Azumi said excitedly.

"My military records should document my work history along with supervisors and coworkers. I worked in Pagoda No Uesureya for some time before moving to Kyoto. My internship was at PNUgen Mercy Hospital where I had my start. Afterwards I worked at one of the smaller Kyoto Regional hospitals before I continued at Chiharu Devotional Hospital. I then applied for a course which allowed me to travel to the different regions of Yamatai and learn about medical practices and the effects of climate. We were in Uesureyan Fields when my group was asked to assist with offloading personnel from a Star Army medical vessel that had returned from the front lines. After that I decided to enlist and had been assigned to the YSS Jihi No Tenshi for several months before I was reassigned to the YSS Sekkou." Ayumu said.

"I appreciate your efforts for hearing us out, Heisho. My full name is Joto-Hei Kazuko Ayumu." she then introduced.

"And I'm Joto-Hei Mizuki Azumi!" the other chimed in.

While Yoroko's armor was far from perfect condition it was in much better condition than Kai's. Mentally sighing Yoroko stood up from the bench she sat at, abandoning the project of repairing the broken DAISY helmet for the time. "Where can I help you out at?" Yoroko asked surveying the armor. She didn't exactly want to be in the way, but other than needing to replace the hemosynthetic insert, at least in the shoulder, she wasn't quite sure where he was going after that.

"I'm innocent," Miharu sharply retorted to Nyton before suggesting: "Why not leave it for our good doctor Ashitaka-Heisho clean this up? Cleaning rooms without permission seems to be his past-time. He obviously won't be able to pass this up. Just imagine the face he'll make!"

Nyton sighed before crossing his arms and closing his eyes. "Because I really doubt the doctor will have the time to pursue that little 'hobby' of his." he replied while mentally noting who it was who had been rearranging his room during the initial furlough into the nebula in pursuit of the Sekkou.

So he was the one entering my room. He must have been really bored or something. Nyton thought.

"Well, if it comforts you..." Miharu began, "most of the ducks are volumetric projections. Only those that were arranged next to the door to spill out when you opened it are real."

A quick trip through the Capacitor System Chamber, Rin arrived at the sealed door to the portside Gravimetric array. A few moments later, the door was opened and she made her way inside.

The sprite frowned at the condition of the array. Couldn't they be gentler with the ship? Sure, they could go ahead and get damaged without blowing the whole thing up, but that doesn't mean they should get damaged anyway! It'd still needed to be fixed later!

Moving around the array, keeping an eye on her suit condition and making sure to avoid any dangerously hot surfaces, Rin looked for the breakers.

This section's distribution board was arrayed by the side of the aether generator, with a comprehensive list by its side indicating which systems the section's power supply fed power to.

With a few flick of her hand, Rin ensured that not only were the problem systems off, but that also their power power feed was cut off at the source.

With another button pressed, she also cut off battery power from the gravimetric array and the port wing's Combined Field System.

Nyton grinned and looked up to address Miharu again. "So you ARE the guilty party in this joke." he accused. "Or at least a very willing accomplice." he added before he began wading through the real pile of ducks. Picking up a few he then gave one a squeeze to hear it squeak. "It has been a long time since I have held one of these." he said to himself.

"Well, The entire right arm's electronics took a serious bit of damage during the overload, and I wouldn't doubt it if the rest of the suit did as well" Kai said, Using his tools to begin to remove all the armor plats from the arm so he could get at the inner workings. "The chest piece as well needs replacement; spalling inside nearly killed me. Pretty much, the entire suit needs an overhaul due to the beating it received." He looked up at Yoroko, and asked her "How did your armor fare in the battle?"

Miyoko slumped a bit in defeat as the video began to play. It's just his sister. In any proper universe, with Sanjuro waiting in anticipation for the message, it would have been a call from a jilted ex-lover, or a record of all of his financial transactions over the past year, or something. Sure, she could get some mileage out of the message from his lawyer, but that alone wasn't going to be enough to destroy him down to a shivering mass of goo by itself.

Miyoko paused the video, inspecting the girl's face. It was hard to believe that the child had come out of whatever vile poison-womb had spawned the medical officer. This was a dilemma. On the one hand, Sanjuro had seemed a bit upset at missing a message, which she assumed was this one... at the very least, she could delete it and watch him squirm for a few more days. On the other, her grudge against the man didn't go so deep as to try hurting a toddler in the process. This called for a plan.

Miyoko rolled over onto her back, waggling the datapad at the ceiling. "Miharu, if I asked for a crew member's daily schedule and common habits in order to return their property to them, would you be able to comply?" The question was missing one or two small details of the idea that was evolving in her mind, but she'd never figured out just how trustworthy the ship was on the mischief front.

"You could ask for such information as part of a medical analysis," Miharu replied. "You do presently have the medical standing of a nurse on this ship."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…