Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: YSS Miharu Mission 3, Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Masako didn't know what to think about the sisterly moment Shizuka and Akiko were having, but her smile was genuine as she stood up from her bed. "Excellent," she replied as she gave them a thumbs up. "Well then, just leave it to me. I'll go talk to Suzuka-Shosa right now," she told them as she turned to head out of her room.

Pausing at the door, she turned back to the other women with a pondering glance. "Oh...the Taisa does expect every member of her crew to check out on Power Armor operations, so if you need a bit of brush up work on them...just ask, okay?" she explained before waving and leaving her room.

Walking towards the Wardroom once more, Masako tapped her wrist computer to bring up the time. "Miharu-san? Could you tell me where the Shosa is?" the Warrant Officer asked absent-mindly as she began working on possible training exercises for possible new recuits and veteran crew members alike.

Miharu replied to Masako with a simple blue line that zipped from in front of the Neko to where Yukari was.

The Shosa perked up from a couch near the Observation Deck when she heard her name coming from the quarters area, and the blue line heading to her. She was examining a list of handheld, cartridge-based weapons, of course, and she moved it to the side as she saw Masako.

"Juni-san," she called out. "I am here."

"It is an old lesson but one we must all realize. War is hard work and for that reason we must train hard and prepare ourselves as much as possible. The more our skills become second nature the better we can perform during combat." Nyton said, crossing his arms in front of him.

"You just learned how vital it is that we do so. The cost is too great otherwise. You identified your weaknesses and independently worked them out. I am glad that you revisited your failings for that shows me your desire to prevent repeating those errors. That is to be commended but it is also what I would expect of someone who is serious about being a professional aboard our ship." the Nepleslian continued, giving an approving nod to Takuma. Nyton looked around at the simulation and allowed a half smile to creep up.

"Now then, if you are not busy, how about you give this another go. Only this time we can put a little more stress into the scenario." Nyton proposed.

Another round, huh? Takuma thought, crossing his arms. I don't like to start things I could easily lose at, especially with what this guy could cook up. But a challenge is another story... Takuma grinned and nodded his head.

"Alright, I'll accept your challenge. What do you have in mind, dare I ask?"

Nyton gave a quick nod before opening up a volumetric window. His hands began to tap across the keypad linked into the simulation as he began setting up a scenario. The room 'reset' and Takuma could see he was again at the same terminal. The situation was a little different now. Three 'hollow' DAISY's took defensive positions in the corridor and pointed their weapons toward the elevator.

"Take a position by the terminal but don't get too comfortable. There are several heavily armed Nekomachina approaching. You have three team members providing cover fire but don't expect them to hold off the enemy for too long. The advance team is taking fire and requires you to open a sealed blast shutter immediately. The main computer is aware of your presence but has not taken any defensive actions yet so the terminal is still accessible." Nyton informed Takuma before hitting a few more keys.

"This is almost the same as previous scenario but this time expect to be getting shot at while doing your work. The simulation will begin in ten seconds. Good luck."

Hearing Yukari, Masako continued on into the wardroom where she found the Executive Officer near the Observation Deck. "Ah, Suzuka-Shosa," Masako replied as she strode over towards the officer. "I hope you had a pleasant night's rest," she greeted with a smile as she stood off to Yukari's left.

"I'm sorry to disturb you, but it seems a couple of the rescued personnel from Bowhordia want to join the Miharu's crew." the small Warrant Officer explained. "They're a pair of cooks from the YSS Sekkou by the names of Yamabuchi Akiko and Shizuka. They already seem to be involved since they were on a SAINT ship, so I thought it wouldn't hurt to try and vouch for them."

Yukari bobbed her head some when asked about her night. There was no purpose in explaining the night to her.

A pair of sisters, cooks no less ... Yukari thought about it some before answering. "I will ask the Taisa if she is accepting of them. Considering their ordeal, SAINT might request them for debriefing, which would likely cause delays to our mission. Those we can ill afford."

Masako paused for a moment as she thought about Yukari's words. "I hadn't quite thought of them being debriefed," she mumbled calmly with a small frown of thought. "They have certainly been through a lot as well..." she continued to mumble in thought as she cupped her chin between her index finger and thumb.

"Anyway, bringing this to the Taisa's attention was my main goal anyway," the raven-haired Neko explained with a small smile.

"I see, starting with speed is part of the stress factor," Takuma said with a sarcastic smile. He took a deep breath and filled the last five seconds of peace with thought. So, the machine already knows I'm here. So rather than stealth to not be seen, I have to hide to not be countered.

A rush of sound assaulted his ears, a staccato of bullets flew down the hall. "Alright," Takuma began out loud, giving the room a survey to verify the situation. "If I'm going to have my back to enemy fire, I'd at least like a third eye. AIES, deploy two drones and have them monitor the scene behind me. Tell me if I'm about to die painfully."

Alright, now for the computer situation, Takuma thought while tapping into the console. Need to clog the system log before anything else, just like last time. He did not take out the laptop this time. He liked the interface and ease of access it provided, but he felt like it took too much time in this situation.

"AIES, find a commonly run process on the console and attach the log script to it." Alright, assuming that works, I need to send an order to the door to open. The problems this time are that I can't show this computer giving the command, since the AI is sure to be watching commands sent out from this console, and I can't let the computer know the door opened, since it could reverse the command.

"AIES, open the network log and find the address of another computer on the network and remember its address. Label the address as 'sender.' We can attach 'sender' to the command and make it appear as if it is not from this console." So far, things looked similar to before. But he'd have to think of another way to trick the door's system.

I could find a way to block outbound connections... As he said this, his armor chirped and warned him that the battle was pushing closer. A few bullets flew near him, leaving rough indents in the wall next to him. He could feel his heart beat faster, the virtual urgency pressing down upon him. "AIES, scan the logs again and find the port that the door uses to update its status. Attach a bug to the open command that blocks off that port from communication. This should also block future incoming communications after ours so they cannot lock us in. Now send the bugged command with the address of 'sender' and open the door!"

"I will inform the Taisa, Juni-san," Yukari said, "and see if we can shield them from debriefing. Do not expect success, however — we are blessed to be mostly apart from SAINT, but the Sekkou and her crew are not."

Sanjuro would soon find his view of the ceiling becoming obstructed by two nekos, one with blonde hair, the other with blue. They both had rather wide eyed concerned looks on their faces as they looked down at the doctor. They remained uncertain whether they should help due to the rather unflappable expression that remained on his face.

"Anou, do you need some help?" asked the blonde neko Azumi who had served as a nurse during the mission. The blue haired neko that had also worked as a nurse was named Ayumu and she just stared down at Sanjuro waiting for some reply.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

While Takuma worked, the three DAISY's poured out heavy fire at the rising Nekomachina. The ligher LASR rounds were having no effect on the enemy's shields which was evident in the few ricochets being sent his way. Instead they resorted to using missiles and SLAG rounds in conjunction with the LASR. The machines were wearing body armor and carried the same zesuaium shields that had made them more challenging to defeat. They also carried an assortment of aether beam rifles before them. The initial waves were stunned and then destroyed by some of the heavier amounts of concentrated fire but the ones behind them immediately began to retaliate. The bursts of aether began to sear holes through the walls near the defenders who began to take a little more cover while missiles were launched. The missiles went around corners and caught a couple of the Nekomachina but the rest were stopped by their shields.

The drones showed Takuma all of this while AIES informed Takuma to a problem.

The door is a sealed blast shutter and has no protocols which can be used to hide an order to open it. Currently only outgoing signals are being registered from the door. Direct commands from the main computer are the only authorized signals to open the blast shutter. The port it uses to update its status is a one way logic gate which does not allow reversal without emergency rewriting authorization from the main computer. The main computer is also aware of the presence of our forces which is why it sealed the door. However door status and control sensors have been successfully spoofed. Sensors predict that the main computer will be unaware of any tampering or altered door status for the next five minutes.

Rin arrived at engineering. There was so much work to be done, but what should she be working on? She tied her hair back, as she contacted the one who would know, Tom.

'Ano, Freeman-Juni. Sumimasen, but I'm in engineering and... etto, I was wondering what I should work on....'

Yoroko sat in the armor bay with the helmet of the DAISY that she had been using in the mission stuck between her legs. Slowly and carefully the Hei pulled out the cracked heads-up-display and unhooked it from the cables and internal power source. "Hmm, I probably should replace this completely." Yoroko groaned before sending a message to the Miharu and asking it how to get a replacement HUD.

"That is true," Masako replied with a frown. "Hopefully the Taisa is able to do something, because we definitely need more cooks." the Warrant Officer said before chuckling weakly. "No offense to the sprites, or Freeman-Juni, but I'd rather have more trained cooks on staff. Downloads upon creation don't make up for training when it comes to things like cooking and Freeman-Juni does have his duties as Chief Engineer," she explained before pausing a moment.

"By the way Shosa...um...well this is kind of embarrassing, but I would like some advice," she began as she scratched the tip of her left ear. "But it could wait if you are busy."

Yukari shook her head as she closed the list of weaponry. "Not at all. Please, how can I help you, Juni-san?"

5tar said:
The platinum haired Neko moved briskly through the Miharu, again knowing exactly where he wanted to be and got there quite fast. In the recreation bay he approached VR chamber nestled in the back and had the MEGAMI notify the people within that the Juni had arrived as per Kôsuka's request. He waited, straightening out his robes and adjusting his weapons.
What Sumaru was greeted with was the same scene Yukari had been greeted with before — the three samurai, sitting lotus-style in the middle of a tiny, grassy valley, a gentle wind blowing beneath a clear blue sky and a heatless sun. Their eyes were closed, and tiny colored dots, no bigger than volumetric pixels, hung suspended inside of the triangle they made. Were Sumaru to join them, the triangle would become a square. "Join us, Sumaru-san."

The blond samurai paused for a long moment, breathing in the serene moment. His bangs drifted slightly in the passing breeze and his frost blue eyes cast skyward. It was peaceful; he could feel the scene calming his mind already. He nodded, even though no one was looking and silently joined them by sitting in the same lotus position where the triangle would make the most even square. His eyes drifted shut, and he didn't try to decipher anything-- he just waited peacefully, for anything really. He wasn't concerned for being called here anymore; he just allowed things to unfold for once.

The trio of Nekovalkyrja women connected with his mind once his eyes shut. He saw what they were piecing together — data about Eve, culled from databases across the Empire, as well as the soul transfer-recorded memories of its populace. It was not, perhaps, the most legal thing to do, but Kosuka seemed not to fear the pursuit. The dots floating before their closed eyes represented confirmed data. In his mind, Sumaru could see the visualization hanging in the middle of the now-standing samurai in a field of black. "You see our dilemma," Kosuka said, hands hidden in her sleeves.

He looked upon the situation with a curiously raised eyebrow; he had an idea of what they were doing. The legality of the empire's head family's guardians searching for valuable data did not cross him in the least as something wrong, so he did not speak of that. Instead he was mostly trying to piece together what exactly we're they drawing up in their results. "Are you saying that Eve still lives?" he asked, maybe it wasn't what they were doing --- but it was how he felt since he had finished her unceremoniously. His warrior soul was still unsure that this was the true enemy, thus is why that was his first question.

"My daughter sees ambiguity wherever her gaze falls. We Samurai do not." Kosuka brought her hands out, as if to contain the pixels. "Eve is a soul blackened by unspeakable horrors, and she thrives in them. She is a demon, and must be slaughtered by more than only one Samurai, no matter how strong he is." The other two followed suit. "Besides, as a strategic matter, it hardly behooves Eve to die now. She is smarter than that."

The young samurai nodded, the much wiser and well-spoken Kosuka confirmed his worries. Not in the sense that the creature was not dead, but that he was not wrong in his senses. "I agree with you wholeheartedly," he said as his own arms folded into his wide sleeves. He glanced at the pixels for a moment longer, "so many have been affected as well," he said offhandedly in subdued despair for all those affected by the demon. He then glanced up and over at each of Kosuka's students, and then finally back at the elder samurai. "Then is this your true reason for being here, and you plan to teach these two to aid you in the battle you face?" he asked in a attempt to gain clarity on the situation.

"No." Kosuka frowned. "This is a matter of honor. We three were shamed by our performance on the surface, being disabled in battle so quickly. This ... this bitch, she has sullied my pride, and the pride of my students. I cannot return home so utterly shamed."

"I understand," that was all he could say right then, because he did understand. But he didn't know how to really address this at first. "You said you needed my help," he asked now almost already anticipating her request, "how can I be of service to you Kosuka-san?" His eyes drifted up and were no on the wise samurai, searching her answer.

Kosuka replied by nodding to the thin cloud of pixels. "Relay to us your battle on the surface. Even if it was not Eve you fought, she was likely a youngling, or a clone. The data will hold."

"Very well," he said as he stepped forward. His mind extended to connect to the program they were utilizing and with his eyes closing shut colors and sounds burst from his being and filled the darkness around them. He concentrated on the memory, from start to end. The battle played out before them, they were spectators to the duel as the already damaged Sumaru valiantly went into head-to-head comb at with what he believed at the time to be Eve. But as the fight progressed swiftly and came to the anticlimactic end, it was easy to see that if Eve was the beast she was said to be--- this was not her. The memory ended, and his frost blue eyes opened back up as the image faded away in a digital breeze.

The samurai had watched with an envious intensity in their eyes, especially Yuri, before the show ended and they were left in the darkness again, with only the pixels glowing. But there were far more of them now, and they formed at least an outline of Eve's horned visage. "You fought quite well, Sumaru-san," Kosuka said, a small smile on her lips.

Sumaru shook his head dejectedly. "Though I thank you humbly for the complement, but if I sustained that much damage from a mere fragment of this demon then I don't believe personally that my skills are worthy at this point for your praise." The youthful samurai was obviously still carrying a damaged pride from this fight, he faced a supposed weak foe and walked away damaged, and finished her off only when his allies had put her in an attackable position. The help also stung his honor, the fact that she was defeated by the help of the others lingered even more now because he knew that this wasn't the real Eve at all.

The eldest samurai shook her head. "I have reviewed the fight many times. You should not feel lesser because you took damage. Your tenacity distracted the Eve clone, who could have easily killed the others without your presence." She put her hands back into her sleeves, and her smile was almost cold. "Never forget, your job is to protect those who are lesser, when you are on a mission."

Sumaru glanced off into the empty void; he contemplated her words for a long few moments. "You are right; the blows against me are inevitable in combat. But to have my battle completed by needing to rely on my allies to trap my opponent for me just feels dishonorable, and cowardly. I guess that is the truth behind my uneasiness, so I apologize." He bowed his head to Kosuka and glanced back up at her. "Now that I have relayed the battle to you," he turned to look at her students and then back up to her, "what do you plan on doing to regain your honor?"

"My students have little honor to lose, and they will return to Yamatai." Kosuka ignored the annoying looks of Yuri and Kei. "Myself ... I am bound to this mission now. Eve might not die by my hand, but I must directly assist. She must die for her crimes." Kosuka's dull gold eyes narrowed at Sumaru. "What is your plan to regain your supposed lost honor?"

As her eyes pierced straight through to his soul, she had asked the question he had not wanted to hear. "I have not yet found my way to regain my honor," he said distantly. He knew what she was trying to invoke in him, her movements were precise but he could see through her technique. She wanted him to join her, he could see it as plain as a downwards slash. But he wasn't quite ready to fight this battle. "My first honorable duty is to guard Sora-sama, after that I can worry about my personal honor. If she ends up staying, then maybe I can do more for my honor. If not, then I will have to seek a way to restore it where ever I may end up." His guard was up, and his evasion step moved him away from the direct question, but her experienced gaze made him worry that he may have not done enough.

Kosuka shook her head. "I think you misinterpret my question. I wasn't clear." Her eyes looked to Yuri and Kei. "Leave us now. Prepare for your departure. Understand that I will debrief you before you leave." The two bowed, then disappeared from the simulation. Eve's image was rolled up like a scroll, and hung between Sumaru and Kosuka. Her eyes remained narrow and on his face, the fur of her ears disappearing in the black.

"Your honor has not been defiled in any way, Sumaru-dono." The honorific put them on equal footing. "What I saw, in review, was not dishonorable conduct. You killed the enemy. The circumstances were those of a battlefield." One of her hands rested on her sword, while the other was stuck into her robe. "Battle is rarely honorable. It is the war that must matter most — our pursuit of victory must be pure of vengeance and greed. It must be justice. Hold onto that, and getting the assist from your crewmates is no sweat." Her thin-lipped smile remained frosty.

His mind had been too clouded by his first chance to prove himself as a samurai, and he knew what the older samurai was saying was correct. It had not been the first time he had been shown his selfishness, and he felt the crippling mood return to him as it did then, the cold chill which shocked his mind into a realization that he was getting carried off in his own endeavours, not considering the other variables outside of his own situation. He felt ashamed, and it was obvious in his lowering gaze. "You are very right," he said with a knowing nod. "I sometimes forget in my youth that my pursuits are strongly tempered by my desire to prove my worth, and to earn my place. I have become blinded by this before, and I have regretted it then, and I do now as well."

His gaze drifted back up to catch on to hers, he bowed deeply before the much more experienced samurai. "You are very wise Kosuka-dono, I have still much to learn, I thank you for your insight."

The samurai winked at him. "We are all young, Sumaru-dono. We're only Nekovalkyrja, after all." She bowed slightly to him. "If you are amiable, I would like to join you in protecting the Hime-sama. Not to the same degree, but it justified my presence on the ship beyond our mission. I also believe we could be ... more effective, together." Her smile was now a toothy grin, and she twirled a stray strand of her hair in a finger before tucking it behind her ear.

"Yes of course," he said in response, almost immediately. "I wonder though, do you have to gain Sora-hime's permission. Or rather, a higher seated member of the household before the assignment?" he asked in genuine curiosity. Just so he could figure out how she was going to have this settled. But something else troubled him more, though it did not show. What of her daughter, why couldn't she have gone through the methods to attach herself to the Taisa. He was not privy to any information of the conversations between them, or their issues, so he found it odd. But said nothing of it for now, that would come later.

"My regular assignment is to Yui-sama," Kosuka said, looking away. "But we have already determined she is not present on Yamatai right now. Protecting the Hime-sama is the best possible assignment that will keep me on the ship." She paused. "No one else quite requires the protection of two Samurai."

"Then so it shall be," he said with a affirmative nod. "Now we must hope that our Sora-hime does not decide that this is the end of her time here, or else you will have another endeavor on your hands," Sumaru offered a slight laugh and lightened up with a smile. "I assume you did not need me for anything else?" he asked, almost hoping that she had something more to distract him with. He could feel his previous dilemma returning to his thoughts, and he wasn't quite ready to face that inner demon quite yet.

"No," Kosuka said, her smile returning. "I have said too much as it is. I'll burn my word quota for the day if I say much more." She laughed a little too. "Enjoy your rest, Sumaru-dono. I will finish here."

END

"Ah...well," Masako began before clearing her throat and sitting down in a nearby chair. "For quite a while I've been thinking about cross-training...learning skills other than Power Armor Operations," she explained with a frown as she scratched the tip of her ear once more. "I've been trying to chose something that could benefit the Miharu, but I always find myself stuck looking at all the choices and being unable to decide," the raven-haired Neko stated before sighing.

Yuzuki's report had come in on one of the volumetric windows Tom had brought up. He sipped a cup of iced cocoa between bites of toast.
Code:
Freeman-Juni, based upon our analysis of damage sustained to the Miharu, I and the engineering crew make the following recommendations: 

1) The portside Gravimetric Array must not be started or tampered with until docking. Furthermore, the starboard array be used with all caution, or possibly not at all. Attached is a full report of the temperature and pressure readings of the arrays during the mission. As you can see, there is a high degree of instability and I fear further irreversible damage or worse should we pressure the Array further.

2) The portside wing-tip CFS array should be taken offline when possible.

Also attached is a quick summary and diagram of all the temporary piping and cabling installed after Miharu had that hole blasted through her.

Tom rubbed his eyes with his fingers. This, combined with Kotori's report from earlier just kept piling on the work for him and the engineering crew.

But at least one thing was for certain: drydocking was necessary. They'd probably have to hack apart the ship, too, which was something he had to find a way to justify over simply scrapping Miharu for a newer model.

"Damn."
'Ano, Freeman-Juni. Sumimasen, but I'm in engineering and... etto, I was wondering what I should work on....'

Rin's telepathy was a sudden surprise to the engineer, who was expecting a more traditional means of contact. But since it was already established, he decided to reply all the same.

"...Sure. Suit up and head down to the portside Gravimetric Array and take steps to ensure that it's disabled until we have time to repair it in drydock. I'd rather have us partially crippled than explode because the thing ruptured. Also, please be careful and make sure your suit is functional before going down there. It could be dangerously hot otherwise."

Yukari motioned for Masako to sit on the couch with her. "Starship navigation seems to me a very logical choice. Are there other interests you have?"

Masako blinked as Yukari automatically seemed to point towards Ship Navigation as a logical choice. "Well...I've found interest in a lot of the other occupations the Star Army has to offer," she replied vaguely before actually pinching the tip of her ear this time. "One of my interests was in Starship Systems...either bridge operation or engineering would do," she explained as she pursed her lips in thought. "Or maybe even Information Technology so I could keep the ship up to specs software wise...though Kimura-Heisho could probably do that easily." she continued as she seemed to go off on a slight tangent.

"I thought about Intelligence, but dealing with SAINT leaves me quite queasy at times," she admitted before frowning. "I even thought about Investigation and Law Enforcement, but I don't know how that could help us really." the small Neko explained before locking her near pupil-less eyes on Yukari. "I did think about Navigations as well, though I am a bit curious as to why you thought that would be a logical choice."

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back