Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: YSS Miharu Mission 3, Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were nearly at Hoshi's medlab. "Then I cannot answer your question," Nimura returned. "I do not feel a marked preference for either."

Tom scratched his head as the report was given to him.

"Wow. We're lucky to be in one piece," he said. "Based on these damage readings, we had no chance for survival without escape."

"Your answer makes me want to hate you, because such a simple reason has changed me forever.

"I would sincerely recommend docking Miharu at the nearest friendly station for comprehensive repairs, but I understand that may not be an option at this time."

"...You forced me to look within myself. I found many saddening and disturbing things about myself... dark things... and I cannot erase them. I cannot go back to the way things were. I can only move forward."

"However, with a full team of technicians working around the clock, and with whatever self-repair capabilities Miharu has remaining, we should be able to restore a reasonable degree of functionality to the ship. But I do not feel very confident operating at 70 or 80 percent efficiency. We needed all that we had to get out of this scenario. 80 percent will not cut it."

"...But, you also forced me to grow, to have the bravery necessary to confront that which I could not confront before... and for that I cannot hate you. I must respect you for the difficult decisions you are forced to make... a taste of which I had planet side. Sometimes... we must be willing to do terrible things... for the greater good."

Tom cast a sideways look to Kotori.

"I will, therefore, dedicate my personal efforts to the engines, because that will be our first line of defense. It is prudent right now to consider escape the most viable survival tactic. Nimura will be assigned to weapons and Yuzuki will be assigned to power armor repair and reconfiguration. Once Ichigo recovers, I will have her round up available personnel for the Sekkou, assign quarters to them, and create an available working force to assist in ship repairs. Of course, this is all with your permission, and I will have to give a brief introduction and layout of our current situation to the newcomers."

"I refuse to hate you any longer... Although our beliefs clash, I must learn to respect yours. And... I will try my hardest to be your friend, both for Yukari and myself, because I finally understand."

Yukari did not speak. Her visor had at some point fallen, revealing her eyes. But Tom was not looking, and Yukari was not sure if she was thankful for that or not.

What was wrong with her? She brought the visor back up over her eyes and went back to looking at what was outside the ship. She could hear the static of telepathic communication, presumably between Kotori and Tom. She could not bring herself to believe the topic was her. Perhaps about casualties.

His presence unhinged her mind. She had seen his eyes, just for a moment. Swirling grey. Storms of white snow tinged with blackish clouds. His hair kept even less than his usual mess. His face carved of wood, especially the smile; he was hiding, masking something.

She tried to distract herself, accepting queries from confused sprites about room arrangements. The ship was heavily crewed now, much more than usual. The NH-23 Kotori was still safely stored away, so she did not fear it would be discovered, but it was a strange notion to realize how many young ones were crisscrossing before a potential Empress.

A moment passed. Yukari mentally cursed; the storms were calling her.

Nyton gave a shrug as the med lab grew closer. "That is fine. If you do not know then you do not have to answer just yet. Try going over your memories of the mission and see if you can find which points you enjoyed more. Once you have figured it out I would like for you to let me know immediately so we can shift you to whichever field you prefer. I insist." he said, adding emphasis on the last two words as if to say it was an order. Much like his insistence that she come with him to the med lab.

They reached the Hoshi side medical center where Masako seemed to be talking to two nekos who were carrying some pieces of a DAISY Armor. Nyton could guess as to whose DAISY they used to belong to. Upon entering they found it had emptied out slightly. Mara and Takuma had already departed along with the five patients still receiving intense hemosynth treatment. Nyton saw the three occupants of the hemosynth tank chambers and felt apprehension, as though their condition were his fault.

Sora was still present, remaining behind while Sanjuro took the charge of the other body. She did not wish to be far from Sumaru while she gave them a 'can I help you' look at them. Nyton shook his head. "I'm just here to check on your patient's status. All ground team members have been given time off for themselves."

Not that it meant much to the three floaters right now. Or the one lying in repose towards the back.

Rin continued wondering the halls, her embarrassment fading as she wondered what to do. Seemingly replacing her blushing was a feeling of exhaustion. With that, she settled on her activity: a nap. It'd help keep the ground mission out of her mind among other things, hopefully. After, she guessed, she would go check on any of her sisters still in the medbay.

With her short itinerary set, Rin set off for her room. A twist and a turn and a bit of walking, up a deck, and more walking and she was there.

Inside, she lay down on her bed, her moist lavender hair sprawled out about her, and, before long, she drifted off.

As Takuma traversed the ship to the other medical facility, he continued laying out the story in his head.

"Suddenly, the bird exploded in a flash of brilliant light. Shrapnel rained from the sky, attacking the swordsman's body. Ryota instinctively covered his head and panicked, but the shower was painless. He plucked one of the pieces of debris from the ground.

"'Potato chips!' he exclaimed, scooping up a handful and raising them to the sky.

"Sadly, they were explosive potato chips.

"Suddenly, Ryota appeared in a room of pure white space. He looked around cautiously for a moment before a loud voice echoed in his ears.

"'Insert 4 coin(s) to continue.' Text to accompany the voice appeared in his vision, except that the letters were mirrored, like he was reading a letter through the paper.

"A large read number that started at '10' slowly descended.

"'I don't have any coins!' Ryota exclaimed, emptying his pockets.

"'3.' '2.' '1.'

"'AHH!'

"'0. Game Over.' At that moment, all existence ceased, except for a faint whisper.

"'Thank you for playing!'"

...Wow, Takuma thought, staring at the piece of paper he held with his right hand. Maybe I shouldn't write that part down, he thought with a sigh as he walked into the other medical lab.

"I will leave it to your discretion," Kotori said. Her eyes were 'smiling'. In fact, she seemed proud of him. "Medals and awards are too material to convey my gratitude for your efforts: please accept this instead:" The nekovalkyrja stretched both hands up to rest them over the Raltean's shoulder and raised herself so that she could apply a chaste kiss to Tom's cheek.

When the Taisa backed away, Tom saw her eyes glance up to meet his, light strangely playing in her eyes. She telepathically told him: "I knew you could by now figure out most of the reasons, Tom... but you missed the most important one: I sent you down because I had faith in you. Because I had hope that you would reward that faith."

"I ask you in return to keep having faith in yourself," Kotori continued. "I believe that you walked in light before, but that light was blinding - blinding as snow because you had not found the darkness to temper it. You have found the darkness, and it does not make you a lesser man - it does not have to be so. It may have robbed you of your innocence, but also granted you the ability to see, to understand why light is precious beyond your upbringing, and to keep striving for it."

"To live is to fight, Tom Freeman. It is the same for all of us, we only put different things at stake for it. We fight for survival. We fight against our nature in order to be better people. Those struggles do not make us into lesser people - that happens only when we allow it to happen to ourselves. I believe you are a good man, a man of integrity, and that is part of why Yukari loves you. I believe you will become an even better man, strong enough to sustain, shelter and protect his family. I hope you will keep believing that, that you will keep believing in the promise of a better tomorrow. I need you to, especially because I cannot do it alone."

Nimura remained silent, not answering Nyton's request. Once she was inside the medlab she took a look around, took note of the people still present in it and then turned her eyes on Nyton, expecting some other demand from him.

Nyton walked closely and let his eyes scan the hemosynth at work. The regenerative properties were too minute to observe but he knew it was going on. He knew Nimura was waiting for him to 'release her' but he wanted to see how much longer this would go on. "Poor Ichigo. I blame myself for her injuries. I was careless and let myself get outmaneuvered." he said aloud, wondering if Nimura would have any opinion. "Did you feel anything when Ichigo was injured? Or Mara? Anything at all?"

Tom's eyes glistened and the Raltean bit his trembling lower lip.

"Y-yes, Taisa. Thank you. I shall do my best."

He sniffed once and drew in a deep, steady breath, closed his eyes and swallowed. After he exhaled, he opened his eyes. They were steady.

"Now, if you'll excuse me."

He bowed and turned to where Yukari was sitting. She had turned away and was now hunched over her console. With careful, deliberate steps, the Raltean moved to where she sat, bent down and wrapped his arms around her body gently from behind.

Finally. He had come back to his love. Finally, he held her in his arms once more.

"Tadaima."

Fingers on her collarbone. The same ones she knew. Their warmth was still there. Connected to strong arms that eclipsed any strength she could ever muster, if she wanted to break free. Breath tickling the top of her head, from a single word spoken quietly. A presence that pitched her senses into chaos.

The storm had her. Her soul was whipped away in its grasp.

"T-tadaima," Yukari sniffed. No, curse it all, she was not going to cry like a pathetic girl! She had no heart, but it was going to explode inside her. Tears welled in her eyes and her body shivered. N-no!

She spun in her chair and nearly leaped into his embrace, arms around his neck. "Idiot," she said in Yamataian, tears already falling. She had not even worried about him much, and now she was crying? He smelled like a mix of standard-issue soap and power armor. It made the tears come faster. She didn't care who saw them.

"Idiot," she sobbed. "I am a idiot. Forgive me. Forgive me."

"You are correct. Ichigo was wounded because of a miscalculation on your part," Nimura mercilessly replied. "You had the whole of your team whirl around to stop me from pursuing a crippled nekomachina into a trap, even after ordering me not to pursue - to which I instantly obeyed. It appears to me, Bishop Leader, that your lack of trust in me lead to you setting yourself up for an attack on the supposition that the nekomachina at the armory would stay put when you would turn your back to them."

"The same applies to Murasaki-Chui's death. Your ego compelled you to come into pursuit of myself so you could lecture me over minute details, intending to be proven right. Had you allowed me to properly take point, most of your team would have had been present when we were ambushed. With insufficient mishhuvurthyar to keep hold of you all, one of you would have had been free to counter the nekomachina that slew Murasaki-Chui. Furthermore, you yourself would not have had been put to risk when the NH-25 Daughter of Eve made her appearance, putting in jeopardy the coordinator of the Bishop group."

"So, to specifically answer your question, Taii: I felt you placed too much importance on your ego, and felt you did not have faith in your subordinates." Nimura's argument were frank. She did not sound impatient, scornful or arrogant... despite her harsh criticism.

Kotori smiled when Tom went to see her XO and saw Yukari soften beneath his touch. The Taisa meant to leave the bridge then, but to her surprise the door Tom had come in opened again, revealing Hinoto trailed by a Mindy II power armor.

"Hinoto?" Kotori frowned in disapproval. It was an awkward moment for visitors in the bridge.

"Taisa," Hinoto was all smiles, ignoring the couple as she gestured to the Mindy. "Sanri here will help me transfer the captured databank to Miharu's MEGAMI computer."

"Ah, good." Kotori's ire at seeing yet one more power armor in her bridge - most of the chair cushions were ruined! - misted away. "Please."

She stepped aside and the power armored Sanri bent down to collect the memory drives, carefully lifting them up and then leaving the bridge.

Tom clutched Yukari's body to his tighter than he had ever done before. Her diminutive frame was engulfed by him, and the Yamataian stared into Yukari's eyes... desperate relief and desire pouring into her emerald green orbs.

"I love you. I love you so much. So much."

He tilted her chin and kissed her deeply over and over. She was here. She was real. Despite all the odds, all the death, they had been reunited.

"Mmm... Mmm... Yukari. Never. I will never leave you."

In between breaths, he nuzzled her, rubbed his face against her neck, her breastbone, her cheeks, distributing kisses everywhere. The light scent of her honey shampoo tickled his nose the entire time as he worshipped her completely and utterly.

Kotori smiled wryly and climbed down the stairs leading to the operation tier of the bridge, inviting herself to get seated besides them at the tactical console.

"You make a cute couple, but I need to remind you that this is a workstation, not a living room. Please vacate the bridge: I'll handle navigation," the Taisa offered, looking kindly upon them with her amber eyes.

Nyton listened to Nimura's review of his performance, soaking in all the details of not only her words but how she gave them. It was nothing he had not already berated himself over during the few seconds he had allowed himself the luxury of doing so. If he was disappointed in anything, it was not so much his performance during the mission rather his efforts to reach Nimura. There was no trace of passion, no anger, not even a hint of smugness or pride. Nothing at all that would give Nyton any indication that Nimura had feelings for anything. Even at the injury of her sister there had been nothing said beyond just her critique.

Maybe she knows I'm was trying to get her worked up somehow. Nyton thought to himself. Well, no sense in expecting too much just yet. We've only just begun.

Instead of taking insult Nyton smiled, still facing the hemosynth tank. "You are right Nimura. I did let my ego get the better of me. I so wanted to be in the thick of the battle that I had a hard time letting go of the front line and allowing you and the others to perform freely."

With a side glance to Nimura he then added. "On the other hand you did not exactly help me to trust you by going off and doing your own thing without telling me. If you had trusted in your superiors to listen to you maybe we could have avoided the lack of trust and communication. It was not like I hadn't listened to you before."

Yukari only felt him around her. She was in the eye of the storm, just where she wanted to be. Captivated.

His breath was terrible. She returned his deep kisses despite that, perhaps more deeply because of it. He tasted like a warrior. He felt like one, too, with her pressed so tightly against his frame. She wondered if he had always been this strong.

His kissing of other parts of her body made her flush, and she had to push him back, just a little, to speak into his ear as his head was bent down. "Not now!" she quietly stammered, delight mixed in.

But it was too late. Kotori had already chastised them and directed them off the bridge.

"You are alive," she sent. "I cannot handle any more than that right now ... I will disintegrate!"

"Please Taisa," she said, looking at her firmly, but still within the cozy embrace of her lover. Tears were still in the corners of her eyes, and her uniform had dark streaks where they had not been absorbed by Tom's jacket. "I will be fine. Allow me to remain here. I ... I will speak to the Juni tonight, privately."

Nimura blinked. Finally something: she was eyeing Nyton with curiosity. "Ichigo claims that actions speak louder than words. If my actions then were an operational necessity, executed nearly flawlessly, then I do not understand your concern." She briefly paused and added: "Furthermore, Ichigo also claims that silence is golden - if words are few and well chosen, it helps build credibility and encourages trust in the account of the said person."

Kotori gave Yukari a tolerant look and then eyed Tom, her offer still open.

Tom had heard Kotori, but that did not stop him from kissing Yukari.

One more time.

"Baka," he said, borrowing one of his lover's most-used words. "I want you. Now."

Another one more time.

"Yes, ma'am," he said to Kotori in between a never ending series of 'one more time' kisses.

The Raltean then whisked Yukari's body into his arms and stood, carrying her to the door of the bridge.

"You helped me. You helped me get through it..."

The two soon disappeared from view, on their way to their room. They would pass several bemused sprites and other crew members on their way, but it did not matter to Tom.

Let the entire universe know of his love, for all he cared. It was here, in his arms now, and that was all that mattered.

Kotori smiled and shifted seats, getting settled before the navigation console.

"At least this one hasn't been torn open by a Daisy's butt," she told herself as she reconnoitered with Yukari's displays and took over Miharu's navigation.

Yukari felt Tom's lips kiss her cheek again even as she spoke to Kotori. The man was not listening! He never did. He likely never would.

When he called her an idiot, she looked back at him with fire in her eyes. He was not just failing to listen to her; he was directly rebelling against her!

Then — "Aiyaa!" She was suddenly scooped into his arms, hauled away like so much ordnance, and taken out. "T-Tom! Tom, put me down!"

Unresponsive. She did not truly mind; she liked the treatment anyway, even as various sprites watched her being taken away. "Tom ... " She almost cuddled into his arms, even though her bottom was hanging below her as they floated up toward the crew quarters. "I missed you ... " They were the only words she could muster.

Have I found something? Nyton thought as he saw Nimura look at him. The sprite's revelations at least gave some insight. Perhaps Ichigo would be another means of getting through after all.

Nyton maintained his countenance, reducing the smile a few degrees but not the overall demeanor. "That can be true and yet too much action or too few words can have the negative effect of being the extreme." he said while turning to completely face Nimura.

"Too much talk and not enough action will result in a lack of trust for who will believe the speaker when nothing they say comes to fruition. At the opposite spectrum too much action without enough communication will create mistrust again. How can two allies believe in each other if they know nothing of the others mind? It may seem like, well, a waste of time at first, to have to communicate openly and clearly. But taking the time to help others to understand you will require much work and time. However once that bridge has been crossed and you are able to communicate with people who understand and know you then the necessary amount of words will become less." Nyton explained carefully.

"Perhaps even to the point where a simple gesture," he then winked, "can speak volumes. Just like your few well chosen words. But before that can happen, the person you are talking to must be ready to understand. We cannot understand each other completely unless we help each other."

"Do you see what I mean?" Nyton asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back