• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Eucharis [Mission 5] The Secret Battlefront

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put out the fires, Nana. Fix the miscellaneous systems, Nana. It made her skin crawl. Dragging out an environmental suit in case of hazardous chemicals or otherwise, Nana took off in a hurry, dragging her equipment close behind and proceeding to extinguish the flames that burned.

"Can't believe this.. It's hot.. shit.." Swearing quietly to herself, she shuffled about the Eucharis in a state of near panic, her knees shaking. This was a different ballgame than rewiring or patching holes.

After putting Blackberry in charge of the bridge, Taisa Hanako went and retrieved Blueberry and brought the injured neko to the medical lab for treatment. With patience and care, the Taisa removed Blueberry's damaged environmental suit and uniform, and then gave her a helpful injection of fresh HS fluid. Together, Hanako's help and natural Nekovalkyrja healing would soon make the Warrant Officer better.

- - -

Engineering was a mess. Water was slowly rising and spraying in through one of the maintenance tunnels, and the big aether generator had shut itself down due to interference from the enemy's anti-aether device. The Lorath fusion generators seemed to be okay.

Decks above, Nana was doing a good job with the fires. In a few minutes, the last of them would be hunted down and extinguished. The fires, however, had taken their toll, leaving large portions of the ship's wiring melted and in need of repair or replacement.

Konoka raced out of the shuttle, not skipping at all this time. She saw Hotaru-san in front of her. She followed her into the treeline, feeling apprehensive. Assuming a defensive position, she notified the Chusa....Miyazawa-Hei in position, Kurusu-chusa..... She began trying to observe everything in the environment, searching for something useful. She began looking around. Where was everybody? She was worried about them. Very worried.

She wondered about the mission's possibilities. 'At least I'm here so nobody will die' wasn't much optimism to go on. The trees were beautiful...

Karei dashed out following Kim and the others, heading for the tree line behind Hotaru. Thoughts were racing in his mind. He didn’t care for power-armour, in fact, he hated it. In the area of intelligence he preferred urban missions, as he had proven his skill at picking someone out of a crowd. The scientist part of him would have preferred to be on the ship running through and analyzing the sensors. Kanashii-hei, in position, Kurusu-chusa…. In side of his power-armor he looked around him. At the same time he began to run the sensors that he deemed would be the most useful.

Three days of this, he grumbled to himself, far too wise to complain to anyone else, especially with such action going on around him. As he thought however, he was watching as his sensors scanned the area.

Standing against the rushing water, now notably high on his legs, Yaichiro grabbed a foam making device and sprayed it in the maintenance conduit. The foam expanded rapidly, and after some effort, made a watertight airtight seal, albeit a fragile one.

Yaichiro began to apply Molecure tape, to add a bit more durability to the flimsy patch. Several times it began to leak, and he hurredly patched the hole.

There aren't enough of us for all of this...

Hoping that'd hold, he moved swiftly and began to try and get the Aether Generator restarted...at least then the sealing bulkheads and forcefields might be able to work properly...

Take Kanashii, you five minutes, straight line from your current position, set a marker on your map then return and report in. Kurusu replied, sure it would be the spot they could stash the shuttle. Her systems were quickly trying to adapt to the difficult terrain, she was grateful they were close enough to the beach that it meant that the issues could be calibrated for at least somewhat.

Cherry and Kurosora: get those rations into cover quick. Pineapple, keep it close to the trees until we find a way to cover you better. You'll be base camp. Miyazawa? Cover everyone. Cherry and Kurosora once you get the rations in see if you can get the truck right side up, start moving those supplies to some cover. Go. She felt more safe sending commands from though to armour to the rest of the team, it meant it was a faster stream of information. She didn't like how vulnerable the beach felt with the Eucharis gone. The shuttle picked up and slid in against the trees, somewhat obscured from above by them but not how she wanted. Her targeting systems went hot, and she looked over what they had been left with. Would those even get through any parts of the jungle?

The Chusa thought of using them just on the beaches, for support, but guessed they would primarily be for Pineapple's use. Bringing the shuttle up before it was time to attack would be tactical suicide.

"Roger, Kurusu-chusa. Kurosora-hei moving out." Advancing slowly, weapon raised, Kim was on her toes. Even with cover from the forest, a sniper or an ambush could still take her and Cherry out quicker than Miyazawa could open covering fire.

The beach was far too exposed for the soldier's tastes, and after having picked up her crates, she started the dash back towards the treeline. She hated how naked the beach was, and how it made both her and Cherry perfect targets.

Dashing back into the undergrowth of the treeline, the soldier put the rations down with a sigh of relief, and raised her weapon again, ready to provide covering fire for Cherry if needed.

"I think we need some camouflage netting or something," Pineapple told Misaki. She moved the shuttle so it was snuggled against the treeline. "This is a terrible place. Maybe I should go underwater like Eucharis."

Suddenly, the noise of the jungle and seas was penetrated by shrill whistling. A bright green-white explosion shook the beach with its blast, hitting where the shuttle had just been. It was the first of many.

"Orders?" Pineapple asked, not wanting to flee without permission.

A second round hit one of the hoverbikes, destroying it in a fiery blast. Pieces rained down on the beach all around the now-burning wreckage of its body. A third round hit the treeline, very close to Cherry...

- - -

Hanako cringed as the shockwaves from the shelling rattled the ship. The battle had begun. She raced back to the bridge.

"Miyazawa? Cover everyone..."

Roger, Chusa. Miyazawa-hei moving out. You can count on me. Konoka marveled at the fact that she'd been given a somewhat important responsibility. She was worried about everyone, and now she actually had to do something about it , too. She moved forward, trying to help out.

There was an explosion. "Oh my..." If it was possible, she was even more worried now. Was Cherry hurt? She moved closer. Are you alright, Cherry-Heisho?

Affirmative Chusa, replied Hotaru before opening communications to Karei, "Kanashii-hei, Yamamoto-hei. We're going to head 200m or so inland, I believe I saw something and we're going to check it out. Form up on my right about 5m apart and set your heading to..." Hotaru double-checked,"...135. Keep a sharp eye out as we don't know what we may encounter. If you see something don't hesitate to tell me," with that she began to move inland after making sure Karei was in position.

Keying her sensors on a 180 degree arc in front of her DAISY, she attempted to boost the power and increase the resolution but it didn't seem to help much. Hotaru signalled for them to slow as they were approaching the point where she believed she saw something. Examining the area while keeping her sensors on max, she spotted some flat foliage as if something has been resting there. Looking around the immediate area, nothing looked disturbed. It was almost as if whatever was there disappeared without trace. Keying her comms she said, "Karei-san, it looks like something was here but has left no trace of itself. We'll head inland another 150m or so on this bearing. Hopefully we'll find something."

Hotaru began moving off, ensuring she was aware of Karei's location relative to her own. After a minute or so of careful negotiation through the thick foliage they reached a small clearing. Keeping inside the treeline she went left and sent Karei right, to meet up on the other side. Joining up once more and seeing nothing alarming, Hotaru marked the position of the clearing and a few basic notes. "I don't think we need to go any further at this moment. We're done here Karei-san. Have you picked anything up?" asked Hotaru while keeping her eyes open and constantly scanning the surrounding jungle. She also sent a brief report to the XO, Kurusu-chusa, we've found evidence that something was here but no trace of it leaving, as if it just disappeared. Also we've found a small clearing about 170m away from your position. It has a small amount of debris but should fit the shuttle if we can move without being detected.
-----
While listening to Karei's reply, she heard shrill whistling overhead followed by explosions. Thinking it must be enemy artillery, Hotaru instructed Karei to head back towards the beach on a reverse heading and to keep scanning while she followed at a loping trot doing the same.

Kumiko struggled to tape over all of the leaks in the area, but was failing miserably, as more seemed to appear with every passing second. Sir, I'm not sure I can get these systems up and running on my own. There are too many links, and I may have to leave the room soon for my own safety. If anyone else is available, send them, and we can probably get it done. She glanced around, and almost wailed. While she had been sending the message and finishing with her current leak, two more had appeared.

The shells kept coming, turning the once-pristine beach into a cratered wasteland. It wasn't long before the Telemachus was hit; the shuttle was reduced to a burning hulk and Pineapple was killed instantly. The STV was hit as well; sitting there neglected, it had been helpless to the artillery barrage. Miyazawa found Cherry's body lying in the burning foilage near the beach's ridgeline.

Suddenly, the shelling stopped. In the distant sky, something twinkled as it drew closer...

Hang on, Endoh-Hei...

With a hum, the Aether Generator finally kicked back in.

Endoh-Hei, Nana, we have partial power now. Please update with your status!

His next goal was to try and calibrate the remaining CFS components on the port side to provide shield cover for the upper half of the ship, to protect them from whatever was happening up above...

Cherry-Heisho? Oh fish... Konoka looked at Cherry, who looked rather dead. The surrounding foliage was burning rather quickly. She'd have more chance of bringing back if she was really dead if she wasn't around so much fire...She wondered if she could be moved. Chusa, it's Cherry-Heisho, she's been... She didn't say, but the Chusa would know. She needed help. Like, now. Oh, what to do, what to do...

She was sad. Her feeling had been right. Someone was hurt. No, this was beyond "hurt". Konoka liked to ignore this kind of thing. Except it happened. She needed a way to fix this. OK, there was fire. Fire burned. She attempted to drag Heisho away from the fire. She'd learned from Kage-Shosa's burns. She'd avoid any she could avoid.

She noticed the shelling had stopped. If only it had sooner... No use fretting about "if only", she told herself. She stayed alert for what was next, and she stayed by Cherry-Heisho. She noted she cared way too much about people. It would be nice not to care. However, that wasn't Konoka....Oh fish.

Hanako remotely shut down the aether generator as soon as she saw it was on again, then called Yaichiro. "What are you doing?! They can detect aether! We're also in an aether disruption field, making detection even more likely...the fusion generators should be fine for us right now. What I need you to do is to build a pumping system and clear out the water from the flooded sections, then get them sealed."

- - -

In the sky above, four sharp-looking Jaaq'tah starfighters began to circle, strafing anyone they could spot. The second hoverbike took the first hit. Left unattended, it was an easy target like the other vehicles had been. Next, the fighters took out the Light Utility Truck with a missile.

Anyone still exposed on the beach got would get hosed down with plasma rounds.

The fires have been put out but there's massive interior damage going on -- the wiring's exposed and it's been fried.

Nana frowned as she gauged the damage, placing a hand to her forehead with a heavy sigh before tearing off to grab some supplies from the cargo bay. She figured that the wiring being exposed was a minor issue, so long as it was fixed. Taking in a deep breath, she grabbed several boxes before carefully waddling off back towards the section of the ship that had been ravaged by the fires.

I'm going to try to replace it all now -- unless there's something else I should do.

Kumiko began to be happy, right up until the Aether generators shut down again. Having seemingly stopped all of the leaks, at least for now, she set about finishing the wiring for the CFS systems, which included many area bypasses which would most likely not hold under heavy fire, but would at least get the system minimally operational, once there was power feeding into it. Kage-Shosa, if you can find a way to route power here, I've managed to find a way to get the CFS at least temporarily back online, though a more permanent solution will be forthcoming. Never mind that request for help as well. I can manage now that this area is not leaking very badly anymore. With that, she set about getting the parts assembled to create a more sturdy version of the quick-fix that she had done.

Yaichiro was glad for Kumiko's message, but inwardly sighed at Hanako's criticism. It was necessary, but he missed being on the bridge in that moment, and being able to see the situation outside the ship in its entirety.

Wakarimashita, Taisa. Gomen Nasai.

He noted Nana's message next...

Nana, before you continue, please verify with MEGAMI whether or not that length of cabling can be bypassed. If it can, I must ask you to help me work on a large-scale pump system and then the sealing of hull. Few field fixes to damaged cabling will work properly if they are exposed to the water.

They made the edge of the treeline just after the shelling stopped. Slowly cresting the rise she saw the devastation on the beach. Looking off to one side she saw Konoka near Cherry’s downed armour. Before registering the rest, four fighters came hurtling overhead strafing the beach. Hotaru initially ducked behind the crest before attempting to get a lock on one of the fighters but they had passed overhead, the jungle canopy hampering her sensors.

Darting out, Hotaru dragged Konoka away from Cherry knowing there was nothing she could do, back under cover before the fighters could return. Kurusu-chusa, how are we faring? Were we able to salvage anything? Hotaru sent while looking over the beach turned battlefield.

Misaki sped down for the deck fast. Orders streamed to all the team to take cover, and separate pathing through the area for each two person team, save Kurosora who would be going with her. The rations were the only thing recovered. The XO wanted to fire back, but if she missed any of them or they were being monitored the entire section of the jungle could be pulverised from orbit. A similar instruction not to open fire on enemies shelling them came with the move out order, displaying the rendezvous waypoint where they would find some shelter from the barrage and start to move in.

The callsigns associated with two Alpha members were confirmed KOA by Misaki and reflected for any data updates the DAISY armours might take. Once Kim was with her, she helped clear the path ahead for the soldier with their only extra supplies that were not inside respective armours. There would be no base camp, they had to get moving and not get spotted until it was time to bring the shields down and call in reinforcements. That meant days hiking, and jetting towards the target in territory they didn't have full scans of.

All units move. Disengage from the LZ and follow assigned course. There's nothing more we can do for them. Stay under the canopy and do not disturb it. We have extra rations, that will have to do. I'll see you at the rendezvous. The Empire's grace shield you. Kurusu out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back