• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: YSS Eucharis [Mission 7.2] Sorting It Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Junko had barely managed another bow as the Taisho and Taisa left. Stifling a sigh of relief once they were gone, she blindly followed the Chusa about, glancing at what was indicated and listening to what was said. The Chusa's comment about surprise, though, was more than dead on. She had barely seen the palace from a distance before; when the Captain had mentioned visiting, she had assumed they would merely receive a guided, but restricted tour. The combined effect had rather overwhelmed her. Indeed, the Chusa's admonishment to remain discreet about the strategic deployment of their forces was quite unnecessary; Junko had barely glanced at it and the abundance of other stimuli had quite successfully driven it from her mind. But the bathroom, with its over-the-top water feature, was too much. While the Chusa might have been able to remain simply amused, Junko couldn't stop herself from sharply and audibly inhaling as her face turned beet red.

Nika respectfully followed Misaki as she started 'guiding' the small group around the chamber, describing a part of Yamatai's history etched on the wall. The holographic strategic layout was too much to be comprehend within the few minutes, which the neko decided not to delved into as the group headed out of the complex and into another, finally 'bumping' into a bathroom designed for someone in mind.

Her face too turned red at the sight of the statue, which was quickly shook off at the thought of needing to get something important done. However, her mind sorta clicked in realization that she was not in the Imperial Palace, but the Empress Palace instead.

"It seems like Taisho Yui has a strange taste in artwork..." Nika looked around, trying not to stare too much at the statue as she heard Misaki laughed, "And with someone in mind..." The neko was pretty much impressed by the layout of the bathroom fit for royalty and turned to Junko, who was still stunned red, "Moshi mosh~ Return back to us Takeda-Heisho~" She waved her hand in front of Junko, hoping to distract her from the statue.

Konoka, always having a great deal of respect and interest for the empire's monarchy, had tagged along with the group going to the palace.

She had a look on her face like a completely awed child seeing Santa Claus fly straight past her window, and seemed to be memorizing everything so she would never forget what she saw as the single most important and absolute greatest moment of her life. It crossed her mind she respected and loved the imperial monarchy a BIT too much. She had to remind herself that it would be wrong to scour the carpet for hairs of important dignitaries to put in a scrapbook and keep forever. Thinking on this, she told herself to chill.

So excited was she at seeing all this (because, after all, in her eyes, even an empress' earwax was holy) after seeing about ten seconds of the palace AND meeting an important figure, at that part of the tour where they now stood, (Everything was impressing her, even just the washroom.......Mightn't she just neglect to mention her near-obsessive adoration and admiration for the imperial monarchy?) she was so astounded she even forgot to breathe and promptly fainted from the excitement and lack of air.
Slowly, her eyes rose to meet the tall washroom ceiling, her face flushing with her never-ceasing girlish, obsessive admiration and her embarassment at passing out on the palace floor......Wait.....The PALACE FLOOR!!! This just might be both the weirdest and coolest and most memorable event of her life.
Her last thought as she fell back was: Ohmigosh, I'm passing out on VERY IMPORTANT carpet!

Sune considered Darnell’s suggestion. “Well the sensor logs show that they stopped replicating at the same time as the fleet was destroyed. Right now they do not seem concerned with eating either, but then they do not appear to use food for energy. You are right it may be possible to try to evoke an instinctual response. Of course the first challenge will be to find something that frightens them. They do not appear to consider us as threats.” Sune looked around at the genetics lab. “Impressive equipment, too bad they can not put this kind of facility in the field. Have you been able to make any progress with your analysis? I have an errand I wish to take care of later, but wanted to see how things were going with you.”

Darnell looked at the computer as it gave back its results. The last conclusion it drew was more or less known. He sighed. He said, "Computer, please identify the safety protocol under which the simulations were aborted. Furthermore, please show all defined strains."

When Sune spoke Darnell said, "They could put this kind of equipment in the field, but it'd be expensive and would take away from the ship's combat abilities I'd guess. I may have found something or it may be nothing. If DNA this complex can produce multiple strains we might be able to compare those strains and get a better idea of its capabilities, they could be radically different. For example, it might modify itself based on which ship it is infesting or something like that. It isn't a lot but it's something. Also, I would say its a safe assumption that the original creature these were created from was from beyond known space. I would think you could still try to stimulate them to response, but if you have an errand to run feel free."

"Miyazawa!" Misaki exclaimed, and spun, sending hair into the face of anyone close to her, to catch the spastic medic. The XO moved quick, very quick. Even so, she didn't like to show that she was an NH-27 without very good reason. Being quick normally didn't arouse suspicions, most Nekovalkryja were anyway. Bringing her to the edge of the pool that started all the blushing, she set herself down, and put the spritely soldier's head in her lap.

"Waaaake up. They're going to think we're crazy at this rate. And not in the fun way!" The Chusa exclaimed, fanning Konoka's face. "Wake up." Looking up for a moment at the statue, and her other crew members made the veteran smile slightly, "It's a lot to take in, isn't it? Come help me rouse her. Sprinkle a bit of water on her face please it just seems to be excitement, she is that sort."

Passing out in the Empress Palace...I don't think that I can really blame her. It's so wonderful here! Stars bless the Ketsurui. Kurusu's thoughts drifted, and then returned to her charge.

Safety Protocol
Simulations aborted due to exponential expansion of memory and computational requirements. MEGAMI Failsafe was initiated to prevent corruption of system.

At point of termination over 1,256,363,878 simulations had been generated.
Displaying 1048 initial DNA patterns, additional 32,586 secondary permutation strains available.
----------------------------------------------------

“I agree with your statement about it decreasing the effectiveness of a warship to have something on this scale. But the facilities in the Medbay are rather limited for detailed analysis like this. I will pass on your suggestion to Doctor Ishi about trying to stimulate some of the specimens to try and get a response. We are supposed to be back aboard the Eucharis tomorrow, so that is why I need to take case of these errands in person today. I will see you later Carlisle-Hei.” Sune said

Having finished his personal business Ramiro had decided to tag along with the palace group. Not being a big artwork buff he stuck to the back of the group and silently followed. When they met the Taisho he gave the deepest bow he had ever given before continuing with the rest of the group. He silently continued followed, making note of what he thought was interesting, yet not finding it that amazing. His biggest rush was probably when he saw Konoka fall. "Konoka!" He yelled out as he swerved to catch her but Misaki was already there. Ramiro immediately sat down next to Misaki and checked Konoka's pulse. He fully well knew she had just fainted but you could never be too careful. He splashed a little water onto Konoka's face then quickly tucked her loose hair strands away. "Come on, open up."

Opening her eyes and giving a small start, Konoka exclaimed, "Oh dear I'm so terribly sorry! I fainted, now didn't I? I'm so terribly sorry, how silly of me." She flushed her cute shade of rosy pink. "Oh my, it's simply the majesty and all of this place......I'm so sorry, just such awe, taking it all in......How.....heh....opulent....."

Wobbling a bit, the ever-spastic neko began to rise. Looking at the floor, she glanced at Misaki and Ramiro, muttering, "Thank you for your help.......I'll just try not to be too much of a bother....ehhehheh...."

Touching a hand to her forehead ande still a little woozy, Konoka said softly, "I'm fine......Please, continue.....I'm sure there's much to learn about this place."

Darnell was paying more attention to the computer's response than Sune. He said, "Good luck with whatever it is you're doing, then, Heisho." He paused a moment then said to the computer, "Computer, using the DNA strains identified simulate the creatures that would result. Display all known details of the generated creatures" Darnell didn't like the safety measures because any given pattern could be used by the Mish. "Computer, display the creatures that resulted in a slideshow style format. Similarly, compare them to the creatures which formed the samples we have."

He paused a moment. He wondered for a moment if the Mish took vacations. He wondered what giant tentacled blobs did for their leisure activity. There had to be something, he just couldn't imagine what it was. He said, "Kashi, you've been quiet, do you have any thoughts on this?"

The computer began a systematic display of the possible life forms the DNA strands represented. They ranged from relatively simple creatures like the Armadillidiidae, and there were an assortment of quadruped life forms, some of the more complex life forms seemed to resemble some of the known variants of Mishhuvurthyar, and even some that resembled Nekovalkyrja.

Kashi looked up from her scanner with a start, turned and bowed to Darnell. “Please accept my sincere apologies Carlisle-Hei. I was rather engrossed in my own study of the samples. I am afraid I had tuned out both you and the Heisho. This DNA is as we said unlike any thing you and I have seen. So I decided to think out of the box. Especially after watching the computer simulations cascade to ever expanding combinations. I have a supposition, but no means to truly prove it. But I will hazard to share it with you. We are dealing with an organism that was built by some process we have not identified. Perhaps the process of change we are trying to identify is internal rather than external. Perhaps the originating organism is capable of manipulation of its own body at the genetic level. It sounds absurd but it seems to explain some of the things we have seen. Why are the DNA strands so enormous? Unless they serve as a means for whatever the host is to selectively pick and choose from to create an offspring. There is a precedent for it in how the Nekovalkyrja reproduce. The mother chooses the physical attributes for the child. This is just on a larger scale of selection.” Kashi blushed for a moment and looked down. “As I said it is a supposition, and not one that at present I would be willing to present to Professor Ishi. What are your thoughts on this puzzle?”

After twenty minutes or so, Hanako and Yui returned to the Red Room.

The Taisa mentally sent a text message to her crew: "Finished briefing with Taisho Yui; Your location please?"

After leaving the labs at the SSS Sune took a bus back to Kyoto. He watched the people on the sidewalks going about their daily lives, and tried to imagine what that kind of life was like. Let’s see I need to go to Geshrinari Shipyards and put in a purchase order. I think the Type 30 Cargo Runner will be most useful to Raia and the others of the Bouken. Two extra ships would help the group carry more cargo and make more money. After I purchase the two ships, I will have to order a Ke-J1-E3102 ABMU unit to be installed on each. That will be the biggest benefit for them, full time dedicated medical capabilities. He looked up and saw that the bus was approaching his destination.

Stepping off the bus Sune looked around. Seeing what other businesses and facilities were in the area. He walked into the business office for Geshrinari, their logo displayed prominently on the wall of the reception area. The process of purchasing was relatively simple. Sitting at a terminal he went through their product line, confirmed that the best for his needs was the Type 30 CR. When he entered his order, a sales person approached him, to review the details. It was with this person that he put in his modification request. Some 45,000 KS lighter, he was now the proud owner of two starships. Walking out of the building he entered a message into his communicator and set it up for transmission to the Bouken. I hope Raia enjoys her gift. He thought as he pushed the transmit button.

One errand down and more to go, Sune flagged a cab “Ketsurui Zaibatsu please.” He told the driver and sat back to review his proposal.

He looked at the creatures. Was that woodlice? The Mish wanted to attack with woodlice? He gave the computer a disbelieving look which it, obviously, couldn't respond to. Then ones that looked like Mish and Neko began to appear as well as some four legged creatures. He wondered what that meant, had these things been spawned from a Neko who had taken free sexuality way, way too far?

Then Kashi told him her opinion. Darnell thought about it a moment and said, "But they would need lots of... energy." It dawned on him. He took Kashi by the shoulders as if to shake her and said, "Kashi, you're brilliant!" He paused a moment, his hands dropped back to his sides and he said, in a more normal voice, "If that's true they would have to have an incredible cellular replacement rate to facilitate quick changes, which would entail several identifying markers such as reinforced telomeres. In addition, while some cells won't regenerate for some species all their cells would have to be capable of being generated unless parts of them didn't change through transformation in which case only those cells wouldn't be generated. Not to mention we have samples and we can just measure their cellular regeneration rate." He gave Kashi a slap on the arm, "Have more confidence in yourself."

It didn't make everything make sense, if they were sucking out the energy for transformation then it didn't make sense that they hadn't transformed yet. But it was a theory and one that was worth investigating. He said, "Computer, predict the cell generation rate from this DNA, identify any regularities related to cell generation in the DNA for all types of known cells from the creature." That should be easy enough considering cell generation was DNA's most basic purpose. "Also, bring up any records of the creature's cell generation rate for all known cells in the creature's body. If such studies have not occurred, please patch me through to whomever happens to be looking at the samples right now for a request."

"I'm afraid we'll have to cut things short." Misaki told the others, sure they got the text also. She sent one back in turn. We're in the...interesting bathroom. It was a little much for them to see-shall we return or do you wish to join us here?

Misaki rubbed between Miyazawa's shoulders lightly in a circle, "It's all right. I think it caught us all a bit off guard. I've never been to the palace before, even though I've served the Ketsurui since I was born. I think it's natural you could have that reaction. You do think you're all right, I mean..professional opinion hmn? I'd rather not explain it to whomever they assigned as the doctor around here." The XO smiled a hint, waiting for a proper reply as she thought about the trio that came with her. They all reminded her of some of the crew members on her former ship. Just enough to draw out more of a smile from the officer.

Smiling weakly and working on standing fully up, Konoka said softly, "I'm fine.....I'm so sorry if I worried anyone or caused any disruption. I think the key would be to remember to breathe next time, instead of just staring. Please don't bother anyone on this account. All my respect, Misaki-Chusa.....Thank you."

Seeing the Chusa's caring eyes and looking down, Konoka realized she liked the Chusa more for caring about her crew. Caring, after all, was one of Konoka's favorite preoccupations. Shaking her head of the last bit of wooziness, she muttered barely audibly, "Fine....really." Keeping her eyes down and straightening up, Konoka waited for the next place to move, flushing a little.

She realized something: She wasn't the only caring member of the crew.

The combination of Himeya’s amused ministrations, Miyazawa’s repeated passing out, and the Taisa’s unexpected message provided a jolt, of sorts, to Junko’s addled thoughts. The grandeur of palace had overtaken her better judgment and reduced her to the sort of pedestrian awe she loathed. Promising herself a brutal internal castigation later, she ruthlessly suppressed whatever adoring and frightened feelings of fascination she could identify – though there was little she could do about the blood still rushing to her face. She turned, drawing herself up straight; it wouldn’t be quite appropriate to stand at attention or even parade rest, but carrying herself with a more military bearing made it easier to manage her weaknesses. Seeing Miyazawa recover, with the Chusa’s help, she spared a passing thought of thanks that she hadn’t passed out as well before turning back to Himeya. “My apologies, Himeya-Hei.”

Hanako quickly joined the others at in the palace. "Would you like to bathe or go swimming?" she asked, although truth be told, she found it difficult to relax with the war going on, and wanted to get back to the ship soon. "They also have a spa here," she added.

The Taisa looked down at her communicator to check progress on the ship. Repairs were going smoothly, with the ship still being rewired. Some large sections of the hull armor were still missing. For the most part, the ship interior was fine, though. They would be able to return slightly earlier than expected, if they wanted to.

Having recieved a text message from the captain Tasuku was quick to compose and send out a response as soon as he was able.

Code:
To: Taisa Ketsurui, Hanako
Re: Current Location
Via PANTHEON main network; Kyoto, Yamatai 

1. I am currently in one of the residential suburbs of Kyoto, at my parents residence.

2. Is there a specific time and place I should rendezvous with the rest of the crew?

While it was nice to be 'home', but Tasuku knew if he stayed much longer the topic of discussion would shift to his parents asking him again to leave the Star Army "for a more sensible career" as they had wanted in the past. After sending the message he decided to send out another message he had composed earlier that day, but had yet to send.

Code:
To: Taii Hamada, Shizu
Re: Mission Preparedness relating to Power Armor
Via PANTHEON main network; Kyoto, Yamatai 

1. It has come to my attention while reviewing the materials, munitions, vehicular load of the Eucharis that the ship is without any Kylie power armors.

2. I believe it would be beneficial for the Eucharis to have the added diversity in available equipment that could in part be provided by a Kylie.

3. I have been fully trained in the operation and maintenance of the Kylie M3 armor. I am most familiar the Kylie and have an active interest in improving it while in service.

4. I humbly request that a Kylie 1d armor(with standard synthetic interior)be requisitioned for active service and test purposes aboard the Eucharis.

As the cab carrying Sune arrived at his destination his communicator received a message. After reading it he quickly composed a reply to Hanako.

To: Ketsurui Hanako Taisa
Subject: Location

Ma’am,

Have left the Scientific Studies Service Campus, and my current location is the Ketsurui Zaibatsu facility.

I am presenting a proposal to their designers for their consideration.

I have one other errand to accomplish after this which will not take me very long.

Jalen Sune

Having sent his message Sune proceeded to enter the building, and locate the office he was told to come to.

====================================

Kashi was a bit taken aback by Darnell’s enthusiastic response to her suggestion, but she smiled and replied. “Thank you Carlisle-Hei. I will go and gather as many different samples from the other members of the team. I will load them into the metabolic analyzer and return.” She then turned and left the lab quickly.

Meanwhile the computer processed Darnell’s commands.
Performing scan of samples for cellular rate of reproduction.
Performing cellular analysis searching for anomalous cells in tissue samples.

The machinery in the controlled chamber began to move and cycle. The scanners would lower to each tissue sample, and perform the requested scans. Then raise and the sample would rotate out and the next one would move into position.

At one point Kashi entered the adjacent chamber, and deposited the sealed sample cases into the port for input. She waved briefly at Darnell, pushed the controls to move the samples in to decontamination process. She walked out, and a few minutes later rejoined him in the lab. The computer started providing results.

Results for samples scanned.
Comparing to scans performed by other stations.
Cellular rate of reproduction: Declining.
Rate of decline is consistent across samples currently available..
Current rate of reproduction 300% lower than indicated level provided by YSS Eucharis.

Anomalous cells found in each sample.
Anomalous cells entering a state of necrosis.

Analysis of new tissue samples queued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back