• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP: YSS Eucharis [Mission 7.2] Sorting It Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darnell nodded as she told him what she was about to do, simply looking at the computer. When Kashi entered the adjacent chamber and waved to him Darnell waved backed and gave her a nod as an attempt at encouragement. The computer started to feed back results. He said to the computer, "Computer, at the highest point of reproduction from the Eucharis how long would it take to replace every cell in their body assuming all cells were replaceable? Also, estimate the rate which it is declining to and compare it with the baseline regeneration that could be assumed for such a species. Also, computer, isolate the necrotic cells and run analysis and determine if there is a way to determine these abnormal cells while they are still alive as separated from normal cells, such as through a scan."

As Kashi came back and joined him at the panel he backed up so he was just behind her to get a better view of the computer screen, "Perhaps those necrotic cells are the actual creature and they create cells to imitate other life. These cells, the ones that are dead now, remain in the creature all the time and allow it to create the creature into a new creature. They'd act almost like sentient self-modifying eternal stem cells. Now that they've been captured the cells kill themselves and the creature becomes a normal specimen, preventing the creatures from being discovered. Or perhaps they're killing themselves by not taking in energy, starving themselves to death. What do you think?"

Darnell fiddled around with the technology to return the Captain's message and then sent the simply phrased reply. "Scientific Studies Service Campus. Ma'am, we may have to talk later, or it may be nothing." If the Mish had a creature that could transform into any creature, Darnell was worried about infiltration. He didn't think it could be used to imitate other but the implications were still disturbing. If they didn't, then it was a false alarm, but better to assume the worst and be thought a fool than assume the best and be proven one.

"A spa?" Misaki piqued while she accessed the information on what a spa typically would involve. Of course, the XO had never been in something like that before. "Even swimming might be a good change of pace I haven't done any since training when I was little more than a Youngling. What do you think?" She asked, glancing to the others present in their makeshift tour group.

They were on leave too, so even though it was a locked down location it was a choice that she felt better putting through the others. To the Chusa, all of the options sounded nice. It hit her then, Why didn't I correct her? And she caught herself staring at the medic nearby a few moments longer, before glancing away. It had sounded nice, at least from someone who was always in the crew's best interest, to hear the name Misaki like that.

"Not a problem Takeda-Heisho." Nika grinned and took a glance at the statue again, "Rather stunning statue isn't it?" The neko did received Hanako's announcement on the latter's end of meeting, but was surprise to see her already entering the bathroom and talking to Misaki, "Speaking of the devil, Hanako Taisa moves fairly quickly within these walls." She jokingly whispered to Junko as their Chusa asked for opinions.

"You should try the spa Chusa, it really helps to relax your body." Nika then turn to Hanako, "Taisa, you need to relax as well... since we are here already..."

Konoka looked at the group, thinking about what would make them happiest. She didn't want to make a decision the others wouldn't enjoy. Then, an idea came to her.
"I believe a spa would be good for your health, if we have time.....Rejuvenation is key after too much stress......Chusa, Taisa.....The stress of your work can actually take a toll on your health, so like Himeya-Hei said.....Relaxation is good....I mean, if it's not too much trouble."

After all, Konoka's top priority was the crew's health and well-being. That was a medic's job. But she did truly care if they were feeling well or not. Whatever happened, the crew...and especially thosw white panels.....needed to be in good health, ands Konoka promised herself she'd make it so.

"Nothing is more important than your health."

Kashi took a moment to consider Darnell’s theory. “That might be possible. It would depend on the ratio of the necrotic cells to the other cells. But how would the cells communicate to each other if they are not physically connected? This creature is certainly a puzzle. Once the computer completes the scan for the necrotic cells, we should have it classify the cells, and see if there is a pattern. As you said they could be control cells, but then perhaps they are leftovers from what the creatures were before. And if we are going with the presumption that this creature somehow can alter its own DNA, then perhaps the cells represent other previous incarnations? No, that would not make any sense. The necrotic cells must have recently expired, because they would poison the tissue around them.” Kashi turned to the computer controls, and added the additional commands to the computer scans. “We should have our answer in a few minutes.”

Scan Complete…
At highest cellular growth rate, the creatures could duplicate all cells within 10 minutes. This is based on rate of reproduction when the creatures would fission.
Cellular growth rate has leveled off. Level is sufficient to maintain organism in its current state.

Isolation of necrotic cells is complete.
All necrotic cells identical...
Necrotic cells have differing DNA sequences from viable cells.

"The mission is always more important than our well-being. It is our duty to defend, and fight for the Empire." Kurusu reminded them, "I think I take your meaning anyway, though." She smiled, and waved a Hand towards Hanako, "I think we'll go to the spa it sounds like. That does sound very interesting to me the more they describe it."

Trying to parse the local server for a map, the Chusa, paused, and turned back to Hanako. She would know where it was, that is why she asked...maybe the presence of the 'decor' was throwing her off some. "Is that based on anyone, Hanako-Taisa?" Her XO asked. She was sure there might be a story behind it, at least while they had the chance to listen, the other blue-haired officer was one of the best choices for a tour guide they could hope to have. She was mostly just guessing on areas they were allowed into, anyway.

Darnell looked at the computer, "Ten minutes... that's completely viable. Just step into a bathroom and come out ten minutes later or something like that." He put his hand on his chin and said, "The idea they are telepathic or can communicate with each other in some unknown way has already been advanced, considering they all seem to react to stimuli they have no right to be aware of. Perhaps it operates on this level as well. All the same, this more or less validates your theory. Congratulations. I mean, there's no real reason for these cells to exist as they do normally, is there? I've never heard of such a thing and our explanation seems viable. Now we just have to find a way to use it, and preferably not set off an infiltration mass panic. Do you feel confident enough in this to compile a report and submit it our superiors?"

Kashi nodded at some of Darnell's comments. "Carlisle-Hei, I believe I can take our findings, along with our discussions and put them in a proper report. This was a joint effort so with your permission I will send a copy of it to you this evening for your review and comment. That way you will be famliar with what is presented. As for figuring out how to use this information to find a solution, or countermeasure could take much longer. I will ensure that both you and Jalen-Heisho are copied on any status communications."

Darnell nodded at her comment and said, "Thank you for doing the report. And please do make sure we both get copies." He wanted to say not to dumb it down for the Heisho's sake but that would be spiteful. He said, "I wish all luck to you in earning your degree, and in your work, but if that is all I'll be leaving then. Hopefully we will meet again in the future."

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back