• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

RP: 21st Fighter Sq [Mission 8.0] Whispers in the dark

Silic raised an eyebrow as he read the reply. "They must have a sense of humor." he muttered.

"Hey boss." he said, radioing Akemi, "The cat people say this is a pirate base, surrounded by pirate mines. Apparently they blew it up a while back, these guys are waiting to catch any more pirates that might come."

The leaned closer to his console and whispered unnecessarily. "I think they eat them."

Inside Asteriod

Elisto glanced at Akemi and Anne, nodding his head as a smile appeared on his face - though hidden by his faceplate. He turned back toward the controls, "Opening, get ready," he hit the controls and backed away from the door although he had his NSP pointed toward the opening and the safety off. Lets see... will they be friendly.. or will they come at us guns ablazing...

The door opened with only a little noise, a slight groaning sound as it moved open. It revealed a hallway that ran to the left and the right. The lights were flickering in the passageway. There was no one standing at the doorway armed or otherwise.

Elisto waited for a few moments, his pistol raised as he stared at the opening. "Anything beyond the doorway Akemi?" he asked, as he began to very slowly 'circle' his way toward the doors opening but made sure to give the fighter a wide berth just in case. He was pondering why no one had come, considering the activity they had picked up on, there should've been at least 'something' going on.

"Nothing that I can see. Either they are unaware of our entry, or they have pulled back to a defensive posture. According to the information Silic got this is some sort of pirate base that the Poku Degonjo Saeruo attacked before we got here. So let's proceed under the presumption of a hostile encounter, but weapons on stun for the time being. After all we can't talk to the dead." Akemi said moving up to the side of the door.

Seeing that at the moment things inside were quiet, Akemi directed her attention to Silic and the Alien fighters out there. She knew that Silic had a previous encounter with the clan and it was not a well received one.

"Tin man, hold position. Would probably be a good idea to see if you can clear a path through those mines. That way we will not have to worry about them on departure.

I suspect that there may be a Poku Degonjo Saeruo running silent waiting to attack the pirate ship if it returns. So be careful. Perhaps ask the fighters which vectors are safe to fire on."

"A Puko Degongo Sa-Whatty?" Silic replied incredulously. "Never mind, I'll ask them."

He got back on the comms to the aliens, his hands hovering over the keyboard for a moment as he thought about how to handle this diplomatically.

Silic hit the send key without really looking and sat with a fist against his cheek boredly. "Hey Yaeko, if they come to kill us, don't bother waking me."

Hold

Akemi face palmed when she heard Silic's reply to her. 'Did Tin man truly expect the Poku Degonjo Saeruo to broadcast where their ship was hidden if in fact one was.' she thought.

She turned to Elisto, "Well, no one is in the immediate hallway it appears. You and Spinner move out. I will keep the hold secured so that we have an egress. Check point every ten minutes." she called out.

----
Behind the damaged module - Fighter 1

The pilot of one of the fighters listened to the broadcast from Silic. She wondered for a moment if this pilot was trying to provoke her, or just unable to speak their name properly.

"Yamatai Pilot, this is a tactical situation and we are having to broadcast on unsecured channel to speak with you. So all we can tell you is that you may safely work to clear the pirate mines from your position to where those of your fellow fighters entered the structure." she broadcast.

----
Outside 1000 km from the module

Silic's sensor displays started flashing with data. FTL transition occurring, FTL transition occuring. It then provided the cooridinates of the ship dropping back to normal space.

The fighter quickly identified the craft as a Vampire. It was heavy damaged with deep rents in its hull in places.

Anne checked her sidearm again, it was waiting in holster set to stun. She wanted to be ready to just take it out and fire if needed. She then tossed her medical pack up on her back, so it was easier to carry. "Let's go Elisto-san," she said and made her way to doorway, she peeked out and then then set off into the station. She walked carefully and quietly, her helashio nose was sniffing the air.

Elisto nodded and beckoned with his NSP to move out into the hallway, he took point, keeping the weapon aimed in the event that it was needed. He slowly moved out of the hold, sweeping the area from left to right and glancing the areas above him in case there were any hidden traps. Moving toward the far end of the hallway, he stopped and glanced about the area, looking for any signs that someone may have been there or of anything of interest.

The passage way showed signs of conflict, with various weapon scores in the walls. There were no bodies in the hallways. At the end of the hallway Elisto saw two things that caught his attention. There were several tools left midway down the next hall. A panel in the wall had been removed and a number of wires had been pulled out and spliced together. A small emergency generator was connected to the wiring.

The other thing that caught his attention was a glinting near the floor. Something about it seemed wrong.

Elisto crouched down and stared deep into the hallway, his eyes focusing on the discarded tools and the generator, before focusing more intently on the shining glint on the floor. He shifted his position slightly and looked curiously at the object, examining it from a distance was all he needed to really do to understand 'what' it was. "Back," he made the gesture for Anne to back off as he did the same.

It was fairly easy for Elisto to analyze the device. It was a bomb using GRPE. The mechanism was definitely old school, a thin wire with tension. Pull on the wire or cut the wire and the detonator would go off. There was enough explosive present to create a deadly wave of force at .5 meters off the floor.

Above the installation modules.

The endless darkness that Silic had been floating returned once the craft dropped into normal space. A flare from its engines showed that it was still able to move under its own power. It oriented itself with the piece of the station that Elisto, Ann and Akemi had entered.

Hanging back, Elisto used his helmet to magnify the image of the GRPE, he peered toward the thin wire that ran from the detonator and toward a catch in the wall. Old school... haven't seen that set up in years... remarked the operative as he tagged the wire for Anne to see.

"Going to try and disarm it, hold back," he told his fellow soldier, he didn't want to risk getting her killed if he screwed up. It didn't appear that he had any fear in him as he carefully walked over to where the wire was and stopped just short of it, kneeling down and staring at it, looking toward the wall and then back at the explosive.

Releasing the lines tension would cause it to detonate, so I need to figure out a means of keeping the tension on the wire while slowly removing the detonator.. he carefully studied the detonator and noticed a yellow thin line and figured that must've been the detonation point, and took in a deep breath, then he carefully pinched one part of the wire and then carefully gripped the far side of the detonator. "Here goes," he said and applied tension to the wire as he slowly began to remove the detonator, while carefully ensuring that the wire didn't go past the yellow line.

Last edited:
Inside the station section

It took patience and fine motor control, both of which Elisto's training had given him. Slowly but surely he removed the detonator from the explosive. His choices at this point in time were either let the detonator go off harmlessly. Or have someone still a thin object into the small hole on the detonator to render it safe.

Outside the station

The Kawarime's tactical systems lit up like a video game as the craft was hit by sensors including targeting RADAR.

"Shit shit... That Vampire just pinged us Silic, spin the countermeasures and get ready to work your magic." Yaeko said bringing the engines back online. She was about to notify the Poku Saeruo Degonjo fighters, but the IFF showed them moving from their current position, to ones from which to pounce. "Looks like our allies are getting ready to give that ship a warm welcome. So we'll have to just join the fun."

"D-do we have to?" Silic asked as he tensed in his seat, leaning back away from Yaeko like she had just cold-called during dinner. His hands pecks a few buttons hesitantly. "Can't we just, you know, leave them to it? I don't want to say for the dinner."

"Anne?" Elisto didn't look toward his fellow squadmate, as he didn't want to take his mind off the explosive. "There is a small pipe roughly the size needed for this hole in my pack on my belt, can you please grab it and ease it carefully into this hole?" he asked.

"I got it." Anne moved to where Elisto was. She opened his pack and searched. In a bit she found the tiny pipe he told her about and took it out. She then moved over to his front, where he held a detonator. She took a deep breath and then pointed the pipe at the hole. "Don't worry, I have steady hands." She told him. It was true, her hands was hands of a surgeon. Slowly and carefully she inserted the pipe in as he told her.

Passageway

When the pipe was inserted fully an audible click was heard from the detonate as it locked into disarmed mode. A noise caught Anne's attention, it seemed to be coming from ahead of the group. Meanwhile Akemi was covering the group from her position and making sure no one came up from behind.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…