• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

RP: YSS Kaiyō Mission Fifteen: Harae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planetside
Bathhouse Interior
Floor 2

Alastair looked over the book for a few seconds as he logged the name of Harpy Ornis into the data base. He started a search to see what he could learn about this person. He got word from Hoshi about flipping through the pages so these could be logged as well. He did as asked and flipped through the pages so each was clearly seen on the video feed so Boss could review what was inside it.

He also was skimming through the pages. This sounded like a person was having trouble at home. So they might have fled a bad home life and end up on this world. He reached up and rubbed the chin of his Mindy. Though how did they end up in this room dead?

Alastair got a chuckle from the message he got from Klaus but did not respond back. He was on a mission to find answers and had a building full of suspects. Someone better start explaining things and in a hurry.

Planetside
Bathhouse Interior
Second Floor

Saya tilted her head as she looked over the results, not actually expecting them to be so... well normal. She was expecting it to be something along the lines of what had happened to the group up in the ship outside the atmosphere, but this was a good thing. Hopefully, this meant she could begin to rule out that the disease had come from the planet.

"Ma'am, the deceased died of starvation, doing further tests to see if there is any similarities between the patients aboard the ship and this one, but so far nothing."

Saya had sent the communication to Sacre back in space as she did her best to guide the probes toward the brain to scan and determine if there was any connection.

Planet Surface
Bathhouse Interior
Floor 2

Elenor continued to watch the door, LASR up and ready. She wasn't one of the intellectuals who could figure most of this stuff out. It just wasn't her field of expertise. And while she would have liked to move to support the pairs rounding up possible suspects, her own warning still rang in her ears. Moving around solo was a hazard, and not one she wanted to risk. Thinking back on it, she was trying to recall if she'd seen any other stairs, or hell, even any hallways for this second floor, or if it was just this one room on the second floor.

YSS Kaiyo II
Bridge

Gravity was not having fun. First off, they were sitting in a graveyard filled with Yamataian corpses, and secondly, a perfectly good ship had begun to leak.

Literally, this was how every horror movie started. Group of schmucks finds the scene of an accident, something begins to go wrong. For some reason said schmucks don't leave when they know damn well they have no clue what they're up against, and they all die in the same fashion as the first group of schmucks.

She sighed and rubbed her temples. At least there weren't rixxikor here.

"Oh, lemme get that hon." She muttered to Chlorate as she reached over and wiped off the fluid with one of her gloves.

Planetside
Bathhouse Interior
Floor

As Alastair flipped through the pages of the journal for Boss to record he was keeping a watchful eye on the feed from the two drones he had left downstairs. Since he could not be in two places at once he figured his drones would be good company for the lady he first talked with. The drones did a good job of staying out of the way of people but not letting anything slip past them. They scanned and uploaded the feed of each person scanned. This was then being cross checked to see if the facial recognition might be of value. He chuckled a few times when the drones got a really good capture of the people washing. He was happy this was a mission else he would have a lot of explaining to do as to why cameras are in the bathing area.

Planet Surface
Bathhouse Interior
Floor 2

While it was true that Belmont-Chui had stated someone should check over hte wardrobe, Elenor also knew someone should be watching the door, to make sure they weren't attacked. Her checking the generate map on her HUD told her there was nothing she'd missed in her sweeping the building, at least when it come to the interior layout. "Sir, if I check the wardrobe, we'll lose sight on the door. I don't have any drone pods mounted to my suit to keep a vigil on it." She stated, in her own fashion, telling him that unless he had a spare drone to use, she was stuck on overwatch, as opposed to seeing what might be in the wardrobe.

Planet Surface
Bathhouse Interior
Floor 2

"Ask and you shall receive." Alastair said in a happy voice as one of his drones leaped off his back. A moment later it was hovering around Elenor in a standby mode. "All yours, now lets go find some answers!" His voice was a little too excited. Clearly he was ready to have this mission complete and be back on the ship.

Planet Surface
Bathhouse Interior
Floor 2

Elenor nodded, and keyed the drone's AI to set it on a holding pattern to watch the door and ping all three of them in the room if it started to open and there wasn't a friendly IFF on the other side. That done, she swung her rifle down and under her arm, clamping it to the shoulder mount, still in ready reach if needed. This of course, was handled while she was walking to the wardrobe, and after giving the piece of furniture a quick check over to make sure there wasn't any potential traps, would open it if there was none that she could detect. If there were traps, she'd of course report it.

PLANET SURFACE
BATHHOUSE INTERIOR

Ragnar had taken the opportunity to run a slow and in depth scan of this “Agetha” while his backup was becoming visibly embarrassed. Easier when they’re just meat and vitals, Ragnar mused while finishing the scan.

When it became clear that the woman was playing coy, at least to the medic’s point of view, he decided to step up and make himself heard again. “Ma’am, naked or not and bathing aside we’ll need to run a full physical.” The large man, still obscured by the visor stepped forward. “I’ll be palpating...feeling, for any signs of infection; rashes, swelling, deformities. Compliance is expected.” He finished, placing the scanner in his buttpack and extending the now free hand. The other still had a tight grip on his smg and he did not step forward. This woman would either close the distance or things could get very tense. Ragnar hoped that the voice distortion from the helmets speakers would make his usual gravelly talk all the more intimidating.

Planet Surface
Bathhouse Interior
Floor 1

Mikael, having entered the bathhouse finally subduing his natural paranoia moves about watching those that were there. Out of habit, he would move about with his cloak engaged. "First floor appears still calm as of now. Maintaining watch." Mikael would report to Belmont-chui.

Planet Surface
Bathhouse Interior
Floor 2

"Hoshi, this is Alastair calling in for a request. We are finishing up down here in the room we found the body. Want us to bring the body back to the ship?" He paused to look around the room once more to ensure everything was as it should be. "As for my request, we have been down on world for awhile now, requesting to bring one or more of the people down here to the ship."

He knew bringing back another batch of naked people would only fuel the rumors on the ship but felt this would bring about results faster.

YSS Akagi
Engineering

"Just enough so we can get to all of the infection. We're going to find a way to kill the bacteria and clean them out. Then we'll see if we can reverse the damage that's been done. I'm going to get a sample and figure out how we can kill them. Then we'll have to apply that solution to the whole engines of the ship." Sacre explained as she took a sample from one of the engine parts.

Last edited:
YSS Akagi
Engineering

"Copy that," the engineer birb replied. The sulphur-crested cockatoo disassembled one side of the generator until the internals were as exposed as she could get them, leaving the other side clear for Odo to finish his surgery on the machine. "Ma'am, if I may," Kikios spoke up, "I would advise caution in the event we need to use chemicals to clean the bacteria out. Conductive substances could cause a short, non-conductive ones could obstruct electrical connections, flammable chemicals could ignite, and corrosive substances... well... speak for themselves..." The nerdy bird didn't want to take any risks on a generator designed to power the entire ship.

YSS Kaiyo II
Bridge

Chlorate stared at the drop cross-eyed until Gravity wiped it off. She looked at the blue pilot and said "Thank you Nitô Heisho Gravity." The robot glanced up again with her yellow eyes and turned her head to face her girlfriend, reporting "Chusa Hoshi, I believe I have located the source of the leak," pointing up with her robotic arm at where the drip had fallen from.

YSS Kaiyō II
Bridge

Hoshi looked intermittently from her console in front of her, the viewscreens, and the crew on the bridge.

"Good, good, Chloey... Now, pa-" Hoshi had been mumbling before she began to trailed off. She was looking at the viewscreens that showed the woman Klaus was speaking to as she shook her head to denote no knowledge. The captain spoke again, "Patch it up. That's... Now there's an idea. Just an idea. Boss, have you read through it? Can you give me a synopsis?"

"The protagonist of this story, this epic, has journeyed to many planets and societies -some of which coincide with Harpy Ornis' service record- though in these locations, her actions are not as a part of Yamatai, but a society which I am having trouble placing, My judgement is that it is of a fictional land of the author's own making. Each location she visits holds supernatural, magical, elements that you may see in such places as Ayenee," Boss said and Hoshi;s eyes flickered from viewscreen to viewscreen before settling on one in which she brought up a still of Harpy's deceased body. Boss went on, "These adventures, of a sort, start episodic in nature before they come to tie in to a larger story that paints Ornis as a national hero and embodiment of the ideals and values of her culture. The protagonist kills a sort of... creature that is the center of much of the epic's strife and conflict at a later point in the book and from there, she returns from a land of dead corpses that this creature lived in and takes up the mantel of Goddess Empress of Heavens, Land, Sea, and Space." Boss had slowed, then stopped. "At the end of this epic is something you should read, Chusa."

Hoshi's jaw tightened and the little captain seemed to lose focus on the image of the winged woman'c body. She closed her eyes and spoke, "Chui, I have a plan. But, first, please read the last page of the book in your hands."

The last page of the book was written in the same black ink, though the handwriting was somewhat less formal and flowed against itself much more, despite being cursive.

It feels odd -wrong- to write about myself like this, now. But I must, no matter what I may want for myself. My Kleos. My Kleos. It was my duty to preserve it as I sat, alone and dying, in my escape pod. I struggled with the death of my body by preserving my soul on the pages of this journal, this book. The mistake of a fool. A mistake I hope I can fix, or mend, or something. My, how words are lost from me, now, of all times. Could this plight not have been exacted on me months ago?

Months ago, I was confused, but I will try for an explanation.

Our ship, the YSS Akagi, entered orbit of this planet I am on. We didn't know what to expect and, as the ship was on a mission of exploration, this was to be expected. The crew died when we entered orbit. They were frozen in place, it looked. I was scared, confused, and was the sole survivor. No other species on the ship was a Patrician, let alone winged. I quickly left that ship, that ship of death, on an escape pod. The pod was pulled to the planet's surface. PANTHEON access was void and sensors, they did not show this place. This bathhouse. The planet was not showing as habitable in any way, so I stayed in my pod for as long as I could and did what every Patrician in my situation would have done- I preserved my Kleos. That is where this epic poem, this bathhouse, these people came from. What have I done?

I opened my escape pod, to die. To end.

I did not die, nor did anything end. The whole of it seemed to begin. I found that I lived out the travels I had written about, through some sort of vision or illusion, procured by what or who, I do not know. But I do know that it was an apology for killing my fellow crew. I don't know how I know that, I just feel it in me, that they are sorry. I don't know if they know I wanted and want to die, or how to help me achieve that. They can not feed me and do not know how, as I have asked in moments of weakness. The 'they' I speak of are not Elysians or Yamataians, but have constructed themselves as such species based only on my experiences, for they know nothing besides what I have written in this book, have on my person, or that was contained within my pod, which I have not seen signs of since I exited it months ago. What have I done?

I pray to the powers that my Kleos be carried in some other way, some other form. This was not my intention, not my hope, not my want. It is what I will live with, though, for now, and for eternity, I suppose.

With all of the hope in the universe that I may retire from this purgatory and live happily,

Harpy Ornis

Planet Surface
Bathhouse Interior
Floor 2

Saya sat back on her heels still in her Mindy as she looked over the readings from her scanner. She idly chewed on her lower lip without a second thought as she pondered her next path. It hadn't seemed like this subject had passed away from the same issues as what had attacked those on the ship, but she wasn't sure without an autopsy. Of course that could turn up to bring the same results, but she thought to ask Alistair first.

"Sir? What do you want to do with the subject? Cause of death seems to be starvation, but they are an Elysian. Should we bring them back?" She asked of her superior officer.

Planet Surface
Bathhouse Interior
Floor 2

Alastair finished reading the last page of the book and started to pace. He was pacing and in deep thought as to what to do. He was glad Hoshi had an idea for he was most conflicted. On the one hand capturing if possible these beings could be valuable. A being able to kill an entire ship would make for one hell of a weapon in the wrong hands. It would feel foolish to leave them behind. That said this could be their home and it would seem they have already tried to be sorry for the killing of the crew. It might be deadly to try and remove them.

Alastair then paused and looked over to Saya. "I think it best if we return these remains. They seemed very much interested in this story being told. Giving them back to the Elysian's would go a long way. Though Hoshi will have final say on this."

He looked over at the remains of the Elysian angel that lay on the bed. He could not help but wonder how it must have felt to be trapped on this world, surrounded be the very beings that ended your entire crew, all of your friends. Death seemed like a much better fate than life.

"Stand by crew while I review information this with the Chusa." He said as he closed the comms as he gathered his thoughts. After a moment a decision had been made. "Captain, request permission to bring the Elysian back to the ship. Thoughts on what to do with these beings? Feel finding a way to bring them back to the ship might be of great value to the empire."

Last edited:
YSS Kaiyō II
Bridge

Hoshi nodded, "I don't want our people touching any of the dead, the army has limes for that. That goes for you, Sanssinia-heisho, too. I have a hunch that your species wouldn't be affected, even if... Nevermind, please follow decontamination protocols while disembarking the YSS Akagi. Boss, I'll need you to bring some equipment down to the planet from the bay you are in. Info being sent now. Belmont-chui, has anyone of our crew entered and then successfully left this building?" While she was asking this, she looked to Asuka, "Deio-heisho, what signals are you getting from the planet?"

"Honestly, Captain, we are lucky to be getting comms from them as the only signals that can really get through these lightning storms are the readings on the storms." The redhead looked away from Hoshi, with eyebrows furrowed and eyes that were concerned.

"Boss," Hoshi said, "Open up a communication to Yamatai, Logistics Division."

Tersely, Boss spoke, "It's open, Captain."

"This is YSS Kaiyō II Actual." Hoshi said after she had heard the reply in her digital mind, "Prepare to receive 7-line request. 15 LY southwest of Yamataian space, L, 35, U, S, S, BB. End." The captain looked as if she were ready to kill the console in front of her as she stared hotly at it, then a tear fell from each of her dark blue eyes before she blinked, clenched her jaw. Her little head shook and made her bangs tremor as she spoke again, "Boss, deploy."

Space

A blast of electric blue aether glowed to white as the Mindy 4 and its cargo moved further from the ship, the Kaiyō. The power armor slowed momentarily and marginally while it pass the YSS Akagi, then continued speedily and punched deep into the planet's violet expanse of lightning storms.

Planet Surface
Bathhouse Interior
Floor 2

Alastair thought for a moment and considered that people had been coming into this place but they have yet to try and leave. "Will check to see and get back to you." He said in reply to Hoshi. This seemed an odd request since what could possible keep them from leaving.

"Can someone check and see if you can exit this place. We have a care package coming our way." He said out over comms to his team on the planet.

Planetside
Bathhouse Interior

Klaus frowned as the woman he had inquiried shook her head no. That they had no knowledge of the dead body in the bathhouse was concerning. But before he could continue to question her, the comms chattered and the tale of the dead Elysian was told. The story of Harpy Ornis was a frankly horrific one. It also raised every alarm in Klaus's head that told him to be careful.

He heard Belmont's orders and decided to act upon them. To get away from the naked people or to be of use to the officer, he couldn't tell. Klaus raised the comms. "Belmont-chui, I read you and will attempt to leave the premises."

Turning to the exit he called out to Mark and Ragnar, "Keep an eye on them while I'm gone." With that he strode towards the exit.

Bathhouse

When Klaus tried to leave, it seemed like there was a barrier that physically kept him within the confines of the bathhouse, as if a sort of force field had been erected. The Raltian was still beside the exit when Boss touched down outside the open door under the large overhang. She smiled, holding up a locker, as if to hand it off to him.

"Ready?" The MEGAMI asked as she approached him and came in through the door, "This should work."

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back