• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Approved Character Munotsuki Kimiko

I disagree. Generic characters lead to generic roleplay, that's always been the way things work. I mean, come on, it's not like she's a super hero or something. Give me a break. =/

This character is meant to help Millia out with developing her plot.

... Alright. No further argument from me then.

On second thought: just because you're helping out an RPer doesn't mean you should get treated differently than the rest of us. The same hurdles should apply.

There is a trap in making special characters which is often not all that obvious. The more special you make a character, the least room she has to grow into becoming a more rewarding, identifiable fictious entity.

The perception of a character is shaped between two factors: how you present her and how others see her. In essence, if there were no readers and people to have an impression of the character, then, the character would not exist.

One can take the selfish point of view of making a character and thinking that entity is only hers, but that person would end up really putting eye blinders on one of the primary axis of textual roleplaying.

This character has plenty of room to grow, because she's really just not all that special.

Which is why I don't see the point of this silly argument.

*shrugs* Beyond the female Nepleslian thing you may have a point.

As long as the fact is shown very strongly in her personality.

The history should be generic. Especially since, as you say, the players--and by extension, the characters--should shape the universe: if you make the character too special to begin with then there's nowhere to go, and not so much impact to make. This one looks fine, I'm just debating the theory, not this character in particular. Despite the cliche orphan route, the history is legitimate but for the issue of the species.

What's wrong with the character having been a Geshrin to begin with? As you say, it wouldn't really make a difference in-game, except that the girl would have a completely different worldview...but then, since she would have one radically different if she was a former Nepleslian female, then it actually would make a difference whether or not this character was Nepleslian. The character's values, worldview, and even behavior would be specialized because Nep females are so rare: this is probably one of the reasons players are not typically allowed to play them.

If you try to tell me that the players should shape that, I'd ask, do you think that a person who grew up in a different country is going to have the same ideas about the world that you do? It's basically the same concept here. Different races will have their different viewpoints: as unique as anyone's character is, they're going to have at least a few conceptions in line with members of their fellow species. Considering there aren't many Nep females out there, it'd be hard to use those thought patterns, and that's the crux of the matter.

I'm a bit worried that you don't seem receptive to advice. You should take the others in this thread more seriously: they've been here longer than you and they know what they're talking about. Maybe you should actually consider their advice, as it comes from experience. Stubbornly refusing to listen until the admin comes along to agree with you just makes you look immature.

Don't get me wrong though, this character does look interesting, and I'm interested in seeing the skills. Should be fun to play, and I wish you luck with her.

I'm pretty sure others have posted by now, but basically, whatever Thomas said is probably right.

Thad: Like I said, the character really isn't all that special to begin with and since I've pretty much read almost everything on the forum I have a very good idea of what a Nepleslian's worldview is like.

Also, I'm not receptive to advice that tells me to change my character's sex because I want the character to stay the same sex as I am in reality.

I've been roleplaying for a very long time and have more than a general idea of what I'm doing. Don't tell me I'm acting "immature" just because you disagree with me. That's a logical fallacy.

In short, I believe that this character has plenty of room to grow and establish a lasting impact on the SARP universe depending on what I decide to do with her.

P.S.: A character's worldview generally tends to have more to do with what happens to them in their life, and not what race they are. If she were born Geshrin, her history would make no sense, and therefore she would have a completely different history, meaning a different demeanor.

You misinterpreted what I meant. I understand that the character isn't entirely too special: I even said that in my post. I can also see where you're coming from regarding the sex of the character, as I'm much the same way (I've never played a female character).

Your post script is basically a restatement of my point. I can see that it might have been unclear, but I was trying to respond to the post where you said that the character's race wouldn't make a difference. Obviously it would, but since we're in agreement concerning that matter there's no point in further discussion.

You're committing the falacy by generalizing my argument--incorrectly, I might add--and then refuting it. I didn't say you were acting immature because we have a difference of opinion, rather because you seem to stubbornly hold on to your ideas and notions about RP here because you don't want to accept advice or listen to others, maybe because you want to be respected as a veteran roleplayer. Given your background, I can completely understand that need. I just don't want that it should develop into pretension.

Nevertheless, good luck in getting approval for this character. I don't see any obstacles past filling in the skills, but final judgment will remain with those entrusted with making the decision.

Summarely: "Chigusa just comes out of nowhere and acts like she knows everything."

That's a reaction pretty typical from forum oldbies. I share it to some extent, but this really shouldn't be the focus of this thread's topic. Chigusa, give us a sign when your skills are done and if you make changes to the other sections.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back