• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

New Star Army Plot Ship

I very much like the "Glory" idea above. The lost ship idea is neat, too. I'm impressed by all the great ideas for the plot ship.

People keep asking for "constructive criticism" and then when someone points out a problem they're unhappy. People can't expect others to solve problems for them; they're being constructive by pointing it out, but often the person who had the idea resents the other person pointing out the problem.
I agree.

As for the gritty battle threads, I think while they could stand as small plots alone (Hull Breach and shortage being the longest lasting, the other two being the shorter ones IMO), they'd work well combined for a long-term campaign.

Alright, here's another question for you guys:

What class of ship do you think it should be set on (and why)?

I think the Glory idea could work in a long term context... you just have to expand it like you said.

The focus is on how we expand it. Instead of focusing on the large-scale issues immediately, we focus on the micro issues. The buildup to the rebellion, the effects of martial law that the captain puts on the crew, living under these conditions, forming a power base and plotting the rebellion against the captain, the captains demands to the SA, etc.

That could probably go on for a rather long time under the guidance of a good GM.

After all the micro events, the big stuff can happen.

This is supposed to be for a general overview on the plot, working out small details is a bad idea as it least to the scripting that Wolf and I hate so much.
Wes said:
Alright, here's another question for you guys:

The type 27, it has an intenal map and lots of supporting text.

Hm... I dunno. I think there can be room for both small and big events. Or big events can be small small events can be big, etc.

I'm a firm believer in the quality of roleplaying being superior to scale of the situation.

If you put good roleplayers together, you can make a dinner party into an epic situation.

If you focus on the small things in some situations, you can get a very "real" feeling to the environment. When things get too large scale, people risk losing their intimacy and connection with the situation.

Or worse... they expect everything they do to be epic. Expectations get way too high, players burn out, etc.

Mixing big and little things together is a good way of doing things I think.

So, if we put things in the "Glory" perspective, we can combine the small details inside a large story arc of a developing (and ultimately futille?) rebellion.

Woops. Hehe....

Um... as for specific models and such... I really can't say much of anything. I just joined the RPG 3 days ago!
:D

Wes said:

Go with a carrier if you're doing a battle-oriented theme, in my opinion. It allows people to play fighter/power armor jock, has marines, and the ships are basically small towns to themselves (in our time, they're probably much bigger in SA time) so there's lots of chances for that sweet, sweet interaction between battles.

If you're going for a more sociable theme against a war background, stick to the smaller ship classes (gunships, et. al) where bridge drama will become a bigger factor in overall ship performance and where the smaller size of the crew makes people have to deal with one another.

Now then, thank you for responding Jadg. I accept your observations of what went down and thank you for eloquently presenting your points. I do feel now that overall what happened between me and Uso was a case of neither one of us getting the other. I appologize for dragging you into this and slandering you in the manner to suggest you were Uso's myrmidon.

Alright, names for the ship, anyone?

And who's up for running the plot?

Are you looking for Japenese names or Western ones? I need that sort of direction before I come up with my usualy rubbish names.

I've always like Pilgrim myself.

I'm a fan of a few cool, yet cliche ship names. Unfortunately I won't talk about one that I plan on using for my Abwehran ship so I'll mention a few others.

Dauntless
Ragnarok
Imperator
Red Claw
Grey Wolf
Indomitable

Ship Names (these name should have YSS in front of them):

Mikomi
Kitai
Inmetsu
Kohana
Hope

I am interested in becoming the GM. I realise it's a great responsability, however I think I can handle it.

Alright, vote names in this thread. ^_^

So far I have two volunteers for GMs, Daniel and Mike (should we vote on that, too?). Which of the plots we came up with earlier are each of you two planning on doing (if any)?

The plot lines that sound good to me:

Secrets of Yamatai- This has good ideas in. I also think it will be facinating and could have future inpacts on Star Army. I like the idea that we could find out about the Mishu past.

Shortage/Hull Breach- I believe that this could be linked. They are promising and could be made into a great story. The idea of attacks on the ship and then a shortage of supplise is a great twist.

I have some ideas of what to do in these plots, though they are a little to vague to write down at the moment. These are the plot lines I think appeal to me straight away, I am not saying I do not like the others though.

Can't we both become the GM's? I don't mind, what does everyone else really like. So we have the ship name. What is the next step from here?

It's fine with me if you both are.

I'll add you to the Story GM's group as soon as I know he's okay with that, too. Then, I'd like to start the plot. While the player characters are getting to know one another, you two can discuss the plot in more detail in the GM forum.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back