• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

New Star Army Plot Ship

Go for it, man.

Ready and raring to go on this end.

Just one question, though. Who plays captain? There can't be two captains on the same ship; wonderful way to ruin the chain of command that way.

Well, actually, if one had each shift, it could work. One would have to be the senior one. I was actually wondering who'd be the captain, too, so I could issue orders.

My other question is will this be play-by-chat (Sakura-style), play-by-post (Destiny style), or hybrid?

There should only really be one captain. Crisis demands that only one source of commands be obeyed, and that would mean that Captain Two has to sit on their hands when the offal flies. Not to mention that their position as 'Undercaptain' already undermines some of their authority.

That's just the way I feel about this.

As for play method, I don't much care. Whatever gets the job done quickly, effectively, and painlessly.

Yeah I think this is true. I don't mind who takes the captains position. Though both being captains would be quite cool. We could have a vice, and one takes the lead, so that if one or the other dies, the vice captain can lead.

I don't mind though.

Wikipedia said:
In many militaries, an Executive Officer (XO) is the second-in-command, reporting to the Commanding Officer (CO). The XO is typically responsible for the management of day-to-day activities, freeing the commander to concentrate on planning the unit's next move. The XO also takes charge in the absence of the commander, and the position is frequently a stepping stone to a command position.
Wikipedia said:
In military organizations, the commanding officer (CO) is the officer in charge of a military unit. Typically the commanding officer has ultimate authority over the unit, and is usually given wide latitude, within the bounds of law. In this respect, Commanding Officers have significant responsibilities (for example, the use of force, finances, Geneva Conventions), duties (to higher authority, mission effectiveness, duty of care to personnel) and powers (for example, punishment of personnel to certain limits of military law.)

Commanding officers may be of any rank of officer; usually there are more officers than command positions available, and time spent in command is generally a key aspect of promotion, so the role of commanding officer is highly valued, and in theory only goes to the best officers.

The commanding officer is often assisted by an Executive Officer (XO) or Second-in-Command (2i/c), who handles personnel and day-to-day matters. Larger units will have a whole collection of staff officers.

In the Royal Navy and United States Navy, Commanding Officer is the official title of the commander of any ship, unit or installation. However, if at the rank of Captain or below, the Commanding Officer is referred to as "the Captain" no matter what his actual rank, or informally as "Skipper."
In the Star Army of Yamatai, ship commanders, Taisa or otherwise, can be called captain (informally) or can be referred to as the commanding officer as well. Do not call a Star Army captain a skipper; it's considered insulting, equivalent to saying someone doesn't deserve their rank or position.

Star Army ships usually have only one commander, and the commander has often a personal assistant that has permission to take the commander's place under most circumstances. Some Star Army ships have two commanders, particularly larger vessels like the Chiharu, where one commander (the Taisho) commands the fleet while the other commands the ship. Other ships may have two equally ranked commanders for each shift, although one would be referred to as the "Master Captain" (Mistress Taisho, Master Shosa, etc) and would be the one in charge. This two-captain setup is relatively rare.

I was rereading this thread; it still has a lot of great ideas in it.

Reasons for a plot starbase base on Albini.

1. Repair/Refit/Salvage
The base is relatively close to both Yamatai and the Old Ralfaris. Any type of Ship Reclamation Effort to repair adrift and damaged battlefield vessels would likely begin at Old Ralfaris, and it is too dangerous to build a base at Old Ralfaris due to the debris wrecking such a place, especially a stationary one. A heavily shielded SA ship with multi-ship carrying FTL could bring the ships to Albini or the nearby NovaCorp Shipyards. A Yggdrasillian vessel could be very versatile here, as well.

2. Large Scale Decontamination
The entire planet of Albini has already been decontaminated by nodal devices in the past, so everything is already in place to make it a location for quarantined ships capable of atmospheric entry and submersion, as well as crew.

3. Observation Post/Defensive Line
The coming war between Nepleslia and Elysia will be waged dangerously close to Yamataian space, and Albini is the perfect place to observe the conflict, and ensure it does not spill into Yamataian space, as well as a general defensive point to the northwest of Yamatai, and will serve as the gateway to the Northwestern Quadrant.

4. Archaeological Observation Post
The Albinian society, though now extinct, likely left archaeological remains as well as data which have not been greatly deteriorated by the minimal amount of time between then and now. If there is a time to gather data on this dead race and their technology, now is the time to do it, before time takes its toll on the artifacts. Though not necessarily as advanced as Yamatai in some aspects, the fact that these beings were aquatic in itself may have allowed enough deviation in technological development and allocation of resources throughout history to warrant exploration…especially if it yields types of technology which are unknown to the Empire. These technologies may involve metal fabrication technologies which add strength to materials to sustain high pressure, advanced hydrodynamics, irregular principles of propulsion in a high pressure mass environment, isolation of electronic devices, and original uses of salt or other materials for transmission mediums, among other things.

5. Transport/Trade Hub
Albini is where three borders of governments meet, and is within 5 LY of NovaCorp HQ. Such a location is as important to controlling trade between governments as it is to controlling the security of Yamatai from the Northwest Quadrant.

6. Interaction Between Plots
There is great potential for interaction with both Civilian, Yamataian, Nepleslian, and even Elysian vessels, though mostly Yamataian vessels will dock. Many of the other plotships can be brought in in crossovers if needed.

Anyone have a better suggestion for a central civilian base for civilian plots? Albini seems good to me; just wondering if there were other suggestions.

I have a suggestion: the town of Tania on Yamatai. While Yamatai as a whole is fairly militarized, Tania is full of civilian Geshrins and Yamataians.

I'm not saying it's "Tanai or Albini". Both could be focal points for civilian plotlines.

On the subject of plot ships, I believe there is a need for a Star Army plotship that is SP based and that moves at a regular pace (no offense intended to anyone on the Celia) for those people who either can not JP at all, or who can not JP at the times that current plotships meet (which all seem to be at around roughly the same time).

Itkatsu Kiyoko said:
On the subject of plot ships, I believe there is a need for a Star Army plotship that is SP based and that moves at a regular pace (no offense intended to anyone on the Celia) for those people who either can not JP at all, or who can not JP at the times that current plotships meet (which all seem to be at around roughly the same time).
Seconded. The Mikomi was suposed to fill that role but it's kind of gone down the tube due to GM failure. We need a new ship to successfully do that. Perhaps the Goban or Andrew's new plot ship will do that.

I would prefer to have JPs on the weekends, though SP during the week is encouraged. Sorry David; I wish I could help.

There are so many good ideas that my creative mind has been overloaded with awesomesauce. Below is one of the ideas that Wes made actually I totally going to look into in regard of Hanako. But I also was caught by interest to see a mission suggestion surrounding a starbase. So far I could find, are there not many with such setting and I would personally not mind being part of such endeavor.

Secrets of Yamatai: A Star Army ship investigates abandoned SMX worlds and follows the trail back to the heart of Yamatai, unveiling a secret that could prove the salvation of the endangered nation. During the plot, characters would likely interact very closely with some Mishhuvurthyar characters and may go aboard an SMX ship and in some genetic dungeons... (Note: The YSS Sakura might take this plotline)

RPG-D RPGfix
Back