• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

New Starfighter?

I remember saying that! XD

Kotori said:
That already exists, or something close to it does. It's called a Fox T4 combat aeroshuttle. Making something stronger than that is called a 'warship'.

It's not that fighters are bad. The Star Army did have fighters some time ago. However, like said before, miniaturization technology made power armors everybit as good as fighters are, no - better.

One could argue to put the miniaturized systems that power armors have and make with that a fighter whom would be able to carry around more ordonance than the ordinary power armors - after all, power armors have some FTL and stealth... they might not have shielding, but they do have some armor.

So, is it possible to make a fighter-craft based on the current power armor tech in the SA? probably, but I'm not opening that can of worms. You just have to remember that SA power armors were created to supercede fighter craft because they were better - there was a reason for that and fighting it bull-headedly is not going to help you any.

But in anycase, the advent of CFS made dogfighting obsolete when we refer to the Star Army. It's not possible for a fighter as you mean them to be able to really be a match and 'fend off' power armors unless the armor operator is sleeping.

Ok then, but still I think that it would be feasable for the Lorath to use as their technology is still developing and also they want it!

CB is right, even if the Chinese have one of the best dogfight capable aircraft on the planet (Russian built, of course), at a much lower cost than the F-22, it can't pick up targets as far away as the F-22, or 'stealth' in the daytime. Ka. Boom.

Also, why do I feel like this reminds me of some sort of arms buildup in the early to mid 20th century? ^.~

Ahwell. Bit of a moot point, grandstanding or not ^^; (as it's been pointed out a few times here)

Oh, the Lorath can get their own fighter crafts and do good with them. They should be other races out there whom don't use inertialess drives for smaller unit combat. Making the Lorath fighters still somewhat effective.

They could also do their part if they were part of an assembled fleet : I mean, they can pack up ordonance and attack the larger targets (destroyers and larger) while the power armors take on other mechas and fighters. The fightercraft is still a decent weapon platform : you just have to use it at what it's not weak against.

Sounds like a much better idea to me. Your technology wouldn't have to be anywhere near as minimized to make a decent fighter than it would to make a decent powersuit. And since Lorath is still developing, it makes much more conventional sense.

If he means do well with them I'll disagree, simply to the fact there are very limited situations they'd be useful against their most likely oponents. Go ahead and find out the hard way though. ::shrugs:: ^^;

Yes you are right, it just would have been nice to see some good old fashioned dogfighting going on, would never have happened but oh well, I can dream....

Anyway, Luke, if you're going to be making a fighter for the Lorath, go ahead and drop me an IM, i'd be glad to help throw one together.

Cool, I am at school at the moment and then I have to go to a talent show, then most likely will be getting very drunk after so will be in no fit state to do it tonight but tomorrow I am free from about 4:30 to 11:00 Gmt time (sorry do not know what that is over in the u.s.a)

It's not that fighters are bad. The Star Army did have fighters some time ago. However, like said before, miniaturization technology made power armors everybit as good as fighters are, no - better.

Incorrect. Star fighters are cheaper and easier to produce, and their shape and drive systems allow them to escape planetary gravity wells more easily (read, lift off to orbit from the surface).

Plus the SA still uses fighters and bombers.

Actually I shall be designing it with Rob whom I believe is VERY good at these things so the ship should actually be feasable and pretty good.

Since when? Was I drunk when we established that? o_O I'm sure we were working on a completely different project, which was SCRAPPED due to it's stupid, cliched impossible-ness.

Oh, the Lorath can get their own fighter crafts and do good with them. They should be other races out there whom don't use inertialess drives for smaller unit combat. Making the Lorath fighters still somewhat effective.

...so? Have the lorath MET them?

Or is everything trying to be up to an "I can go toe2toe with the SA" level?

Rob, my point was that their tech didn't have to be SA level to be 'good'. It could be good in comparison to the tech released by some other alien races *looks around a shrugs, not knowing what examples to give*

Also, the Mindy armor entry and materiel concerning the production of power armor declares ~quite~ clearly that the Sa considers power armors more effective than starfighters and are having the said LAMIA replace the fighters.

Incorrect. Star fighters are cheaper and easier to produce, and their shape and drive systems allow them to escape planetary gravity wells more easily (read, lift off to orbit from the surface).

Actually, that is untrue. A power armor costs less because while it has all the same systems it is always going to be smaller meaning less resources have to be spent to build it. Because drive systems generaly make shape pointless because of the various combined fields and ect. there is no real need to be areodynamic. They aren't able to escape gravity any easyer than a power armor at SA's current tech level.

And the SA dosen't use fighters or bombers on any real scale anymore though they do have a bomber design that is supposed to be in use.

At SA's current tech level making technology that small dosen't come at any real cost. Power armor can (and are) produced faster and more often than regular fighters and such.

Oh right, well at the Lorath's current tech level do you think that star fighters would bee what they would make?

After thinking about what the Lorath have already made, perhaps they would be well off with something more of a small strike/assault craft. Somthing with limited space capable of housing 2 or 3 lorath for a short duration (i.e. a rather cramped interior).

Overall large enough to escape some of the limitations of fighters, but small because the Lorath are in-experinced, and have limited technical resources at the moment.

Though I'm not exactly an expert at ship design, or the Lorath.

I don't know what their tech level is, but considering it is a civillisation that jas just achived FTL transportation it is most likely that they will have larger fighters or corvettes. They might lack the technology to build small fighters that can easily move about in space.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back