• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

New Taiie Space Colony

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
Submission Type: space station/megastructure/RP setting
Submission URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=yamatai:new_taiie

Faction:
FM Approved Yet? Yes, by me, today
Faction requires art? Requirement temporarily waived by FM, plan to get later

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? No
Contains New art? No
Previously Submitted? No

Notes: It's not nearly as large as Hoshi no Iori was, but this is Yamatai getting back into building big stuff.

Actually, the the dimenions for the completed ring I've shown above using the segments I've described would be fairly close to what you want; I was using the measurements you put on your wiki page for the Yammie bishop ring as a basis for the concept images. It's radius would be 2,525 km, height would be 500km. It would be about 50km thick along the inner/outer track wall, while the atmosphere walls would be about 25 km thick as shown. I've got the atmosphere walls as being 175 km high here, though they should probably be higher (I think the Wikipedia article said they should be at least 200 km or something). It's only a rough concept which I made in about ten minutes though.

We've got the magic material Zesuaium so we can actually use thinner walls, within reason. In particular, I was thinking the air-retaining side walls would be more thin (and transparent).

*nods* If you want, come tomorrow morning I could have a whack at making another concept model for something closer to what you've described in your wiki article. Assuming you like the concept, I could then create a properly fleshed out and detailed model for both individual segment and complete ring.

Thank you. It's very kind of you to help like this and I'd like to see what you make.

Shouldn't there at least be a force field that can be turned on at the open part of the ring when needed? As it is, a hostile can just fly into it, and efforts to interrupt its rotation alone can make it lose atmosphere. Some option for containing atmosphere and preventing the landing of enemy ships should exist, even if not activated by default.

It will have shields (for blocking solar UV radiation if not anything else). It would be unlikely any enemy ship would close enough to land, as defense systems typically have a substantial range.

Well, perhaps blocking meteors or debris would also be prudent to include in shielding? Relying entirely on defenses and active systems to shoot down meteors feels like putting all the eggs in one basket, and shooting at a target often breaks it into smaller pieces rather than outright vaporizing it. These are Yamatai's citizens, after all.

Actually, as proposed the atmosphere on the inner track would be a couple of hundred kilometers thick and comparable to Earth's -- only lacking the outermost parts of the thermosphere and the entire exosphere layer; both of which have negligable effect on asteroids / radiation I believe. The atmosphere of the ring would probably be as effective as Earth's in the task of burning up rogue asteroids and meteors and assuming it was given an ozone layer and the like, also of blocking radiation. A shield wouldn't absolutely be required if it orbited around a star at the same orbital radius as a habitable world, except to stop planet-killers or other things that would be as dangerous to a normal planet as it would be to the ring.

Though while the ring was under construction there would be gaps in the atmosphere wall and the ring wouldn't be able to rotate properly to create spin gravity to retain its atmosphere; the bottom of the inner track would need artificial gravity tech installed if you wanted early inclusion of an atmosphere to the ring before all 100 segments were in place. You'd also need either some temporary walls or the capability for continuous atmospheric shields to keep the atmosphere in place over the segments while the ring is incomplete.

I'm taking this off "hold" status and I want to get it moving forward again, with it placed in the Kotori system.

I've been working on the distribution of the ring segments but I need a little more time to get it just right. Want me to post it here when it's ready or just edit the page?

My 1st concept is ready to be shown. Keep in mind that this is far from complete.

Segment Distribution:
Segment Distribution
Total:

Total km/sq:
Total mi/sq:
Segment Size km/sq:

Farmland:
2 segments=1 field
3 fields=1 farm
Total km/sq:

Hydroponic:
1 Hydro tank=1 segment
Total 1 tank

Residential:
1 Res=2 segments

Collection:
1 Grav-array=3 segments
1 power plant=1.5 segments
1 CDS Hub=1 segment
1 system=2 grav-array+2 power plant+1 CDS
Total segments:
Total km/sq per system:

Regulations:

Farming Regulations

Sizing
Each farm consists of six(6) segments which are divided into three(3) fields, each consisting of two(2) segments.

Fallow Season
On every third season a field must lay fallow to be refertilized. All automated equipment must be inspected and maintenanced before the end of the third season.

Livestock
All animals must be documented by the authorities and must be contained to designated farmland except during transportation.

Hydroponic Regulation

Sizing
Hydroponic tanks are built into segments specially designed to contain massive amounts of water. Many fish and plant life live in these tanks.

No swimming
Due to the heavy machinery used to maintain the tanks, swimming, boating, and fishing are not permitted. However, these tanks are used to supply water to the residential areas which have public pools for swimming. Boats are obsolete next to the thousands of spaceships that will be flying around. Put that rod and lure away, that what the machines are for.

Last edited:
Segment Construction

There are several different types of segments, each designed to fill a specified purpose while retaining many similarities. Each segment is constructed in layers, the innermost being toward the center of the ring.

Collection:
*C/D/S
Collection/Distribution/Shipping
**Inner layer

**Center layer

**Outer layer

*Graviton Beam Projector Array

*Power Plant
To compensate for the massive demand for power segments are placed on each side of the C/D/S segments
**Inner layer

**Center layer

**Outer layer

Power plant:
*Inner layer

*Center layer

*Outer layer

Residential:
*Inner layer
Each segment is home to a city. Standing tallest in the center is a grand spire. Despite its aesthetically appeasing looks it is actually an armored escape ship for use in a crises to evacuate the entire city. Every documented resident has a seat on the ship. Using a zesuaium frame clad with yamatium and packed full of missiles, the spire is meant to go fast and to do so in a very straight manner. Lacking maneuverability but heavily armored, it is capable of punching clear through ships its size with only superficial damage. It is only to be flown in dire emergencies but the missile systems are always available to repel unauthorized landing.
A large, circular law enforcement building surrounds and at as a protection for the spire, keeping the area restricted to all but authorized personnel. Long-range automated AA guns are mounted around the top of the tall building to protect the shield emitters at the base of the spire.
Beyond the police headquarters lays the entertainment district. Although the streets are set up like a grid the buildings placement resembles a circle around the spire and police headquarters. Police monitoring is heavier in this area for obvious reasons. Beyond that is four large three story buildings that square off the area around the spire and provide access to the high speed trains that inhabit the center layer of the segments.
Beyond that is 'Suburbia', a large series of interconnected condominiums to house the massive population. Many smaller police stations are located throughout the maze of homes to assist with officer response times.

*Center layer
Beneath the streets and plumbing and electrical is a complex system of tunnels. It is home to high speed trains, hovering between magnetic rails that suspend and propel it, not unlike a railgun. The interior of the trains are shielded from the strong magnetic forces driving the train.

*Outer layer

Farmland:
*Inner layer
Dirt, dirt, and more dirt.

*Center layer

*Outer layer

Hydroponic:
*Inner layer
Ocean.

*Center layer

*Outer layer

Noted a couple things:

The Sun is only big enough to leave behind a white dwarf. Neutron stars require tens of solar masses in order to be created, iirc. I'll stick to what canon has, however. Just wanted to correct previously mentioned astrophysical information.

As for ideas to have people living around a stellar remnant, the neutron star would be rather dangerous. I'm sure Yamatai has the technology to defend against it; but that type and of star is known for having enough magnetic potential to rip molecules a part - before the real radiation does anything. This magnetic field would also induce electric currents in the ring, for better or worse - though that could be tapped and might be needed for the shield.

As for "normal" protection we enjoy on this planet; the atmosphere is only part of it. There is also the magnetosphere which protects us from the Sun's electromagnetic outgassings. Those coronal mass ejections also feed a bubble around our solar system that protects us from intergalactic cosmic rays.

Just technical correction and hopefully some ideas. With Yamatai's tech, that should be a simple to deal with.

@BionicSamurai perhaps you could help with that element of the design. I am not well studied in the specifics of atmospheric science and it would take quite some time for me to learn enough about it to make a system that works. Your knowledge would be greatly appreciated but if you can't help I can understand.

Also, the ring would be grounded to capacitors in the massive power plants and I was going to integrate a high energy system(possibly some sort of weapon) for the purpose of purging excess power. I haven't planned it out far enough yet, definitely a WIP.

There are better sources, but:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetosphere
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_wind
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliosphere
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_ray
are decent overviews if you only read their intros.

I haven't really said much in terms of atmospheric science, though it does intersect often enough. It's really astrophysics, which I still only know as an amateur, not a professional. I've just been through a few astronomy books and encyclopedias (and I suppose I've been to a few lectures too...). ^^;;

Last edited:
I think I'm just going to go ahead with the article as written in on the wiki. It will probably take a few years to complete, anyway. Star Army could use more megastructures. ALso I was thinking we could reclaim some of the leftover chunks of Hoshi no Iori and recyle them to be part of the New Taiie ring as well.

I've done about as much as I can on this write up. The rest are things that I have no real knowledge of. One thing I know for certain is that there is going to be a lot of repeat infrastructure. People better remember the lot number they parked in because it'll all look the same!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back