• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

NTSE Rule Suggestion

Well, a lot's been posted since my last post, and I'm sorry for not responding sooner. That aside, I'm not pretending my suggestion was a perfect idea. With either option, there will be detriments, however, the idea of having a mentor seems to be the lesser of two evils. It's why I suggest that having a mentor would be mandatory, but listening to their advice or heeding it be optional.

Now, moving on to what was basically the final straw that triggered this thread...

Holy shit, 20mm? Get ruler out and measure that man. Go visualize it; that's thicker than most people's thumbs. And can you imagine carrying the ammunition for that? How much space it'll take up for just a few rounds? The Demons had to have a huge drum fed weapon to feed theirs, and the Star Army doesn't like to do heavy. There are many ways to get around the problem of the LASR being anemic - very many in fact - but upgrading caliber to this degree isn't one of them.

Now that I got that off my chest;

I am not saying any of this to be rude and I am not angry, but I'm sticking as straight to the facts as possible to get this post out. Just hearing of this, it seems that it doesn't take into account the setting, what's come before it, or the faction's style. Not to mention practicality. These are the very same fears that Semjax and others have talked about, and this is where chatting with people about the ideas ahead of time would really help out. Hop on the shoutbox or IRC and talk a bit at least.

I wanted to go with something smaller, like 12.7mm or a 14.2mm. Wes wanted 30mm, and I went with 20mm for the same of a compromise.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said anything regarding the weapon since it's not on topic.

Focusing on what is on topic though, having talked to Doshii in the shoutbox, has that helped out a bit?

So would having a blank for "Submission Buddy" be a good idea for the NTSE submission form? Basically asking submitters "who did you float this idea with?" We could keep a list of tech mods or oldbies that people could go to as their mentor/buddy to check if their idea seems like it'll work before/during writing it up. This could easily be a faction manager so the article writer could kill two birds with one stone.

Yeah for the newer people I think this will be great. This hits so many birds with one stone. Quality will go up, it'll filter out ideas that don't fit the setting, helps get the new guys into the community, the buddy can fix some things before submission and give the reviewers less work too. I think just the one thing, that we're probably all thinking but we need to make sure to say for clarity sake. I think the submission buddy can not be the person who does the final review. So NTSE approvers can be buddies if they want, just they can't approve articles they buddy on.

I agree with Doshii, folks who have been around awhile the Submission buddy should be optional, unless of course they choose to use the FM as their buddy.

Last edited:
I suppose I should clear up mine too. I feel the buddy system should apply to new players, not people who have been around a while.

Maybe throw the usual 3 month period on, if we're not restricting their entry period? Since there's no limits on when they can start submitting, make the "probationary period" for lack of a better way of saying it that fairly standard timeframe we've used before?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back