• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: OIF Atuan [OIF Atuan Prelude] Episode 0: The SS Atuan

Kai

Retired Staff
Starbase Hayes was a good place to pick people up. Although the base was technically military, it had a large civilian portion, and was used as a trade hub between the universe at large and the planet below. So, docked in an unassuming dock was an unassuming olive drab brick of a starship, with the blue lettering "SS ATUAN" stenciled on the side. A few people had been given directions to the dock, comprising of both veteran Origin Employees and newly recruited ones. The ship's captain sat in a folding chair near the entrance to her dock, garrison cap tipped over her eyes, snoring lightly, as she awaited her new crew.

Re: [Prelude] Episode 0: The SS Atuan

ON

Zenny Ontarius pranced up in front of her, casting his bags aside like confetti. "Well, hello there, madam," Zenny said coyly, the air around him seeming to sparkle as his flawlessly sculpted face stretched in a sensual grin.

A black-sleeved arm slowly crept up towards the green Garrison cap, the thumb taking its sweet time pushing the piece of head wear upwards until one Eye peeked out. Recognizing the Man's Origin uniform, the captain pretended not to be annoyed and sat up a bit straighter, straightening her cap as well. "So, Might this be the great Zenny Ontarius? I was told you were a bit rambunctious" Arah muttered, sleepily.

Arah noted, of course, that Zenny was wearing his nice, new, clean, white OI t-shirt. The logo on the breast became clearly visible as Zenny thrust his arms outward, sending the flaps of his Warrior of Justice Jacket flying away from the chest. "So you have, in fact, heard of me! Yes, indeed, I have come to lead you on the path to Righteous and Awesome Justice, and Giant Robots!" The zealous grin on his face could only be described as borderline delusional. His left arm thrust forward, sticking his thumb up in her face.

"Well, they give me a personal file on all my crew" The captain admitted, turning her head to look at the crazy man. "Where's the rest of your uniform? You wear the uniform on the ship, or you don't eat."

Zenny brought his hands to his hips with a snap, leaning back a bit. "Ah, so I see Origin has researched my Awesome Crusade for Justice. Fear not, for Zenny Ontarius shall not eat until the forces of not good stuff are brought to Awesome Justice!!"

"..." Arah just stared at the man in front of her. "Let's hope you're as good of a pilot as the Initial tests say you are." She stood up and stretched a little, several joints cracking or popping and a mild groan could be heard before she bent over and picked up the cheap folding chair. She lifted the chair and appeared to begin inspecting it before replacing it where it had been, looking back at Zenny.

She turned just in time to see him shoot forward, tearing the chair away from her, Zenny slung it under one arm. "But of course. If there is one thing that I, Zenny Ontarius, am Awesome at, it is Giant Robots. Come! Let us board the ship, My Fair Lady!" With that, Zenny pranced off towards the gangway.

Before he could get very far, Arah pulled the chair back away from him, setting it down and sitting in it "I have to wait for other crew members. Ged will show you around."

Zenny almost fell back on his ass as she pulled the chair away from him. Flailing around for a moment, he finally regained his composure. "Yes, Ged. Of course! I wish you Awesome Luck in your search for Justice!" Continuing back towards the ship, ignoring his discarded bags, Zenny yelled, "Ged, good.... person! Engage Evasive Maneuver Show-Zenny-Around!" He approached the hatch of the vessel.

And ran Straight into it. Apparently, Arah had not left the ship open. After a few moments, the door decided to Open itself, Letting Zenny continue on his way.

Unfazed by the temporary setback of his broken, bleeding nose, Zenny hopped right in. Looking around the shiny, foreign compartment, Zenny called out, "You stand defeated at the hands of the Empire! Give us the one called Ged, and we shall spare your lives!"

He was greeted with silence, the carpeted hallways simply absorbing his yells, with the only thing of note being that 'New ship smell', if Zenny could still smell, that was. in any case, the lights seemed to lead towards a single door, they having swiveled to point it out for Zenny.

The carpeted hallways absorbed more than just his yells, as blood dripped down his chin to the ground. A few flecks soiled the front of his new white shirt. Zenny marched confidently through the lit doorway, continuing to command Ged to come forward.

Zenny really should have looked where he walked, because he fell. Down the Elevator shaft. He only fell about two feet, but the effect would have scared the cheese out of any sane man, and many insane ones as well.

Fear, of course, was a foe defeated by Zenny Ontarius long ago, in the Swamps of Dagob--- uh, anyway. Zenny cracked his head on the side of the elevator shaft, and quickly hopped to a combative stance. "Zenny Ontarius is through playing games, foul ship! Take me to the one called Ged, or I shall wreak Awesome Plasma Justice upon you!" Zenny yanked his shiny new origin standard energy pistol from its holster, and aimed it at a particularly vulnerable looking bolt in the shaft

Zenny was only greeted by a laugh. A somewhat synthetic sounding laugh, but a laugh nonetheless. "If you are looking for Ged, you need only know his true name" the tinny voice informed the mecha pilot "but first.." the elevator car rose two feet, admitting Zenny to the hallway again "I need you to make your way down a floor to the Med bay. Just let me fix the Elevator. Please exit to your rear."

Zenny growled at the computer, stepping out of the elevator and grumbling something about Awesome Justice.

The Elevator closed its doors, then zoomed upwards momentarily before opening again, a different voice (obviously unique to the elevator announced "Headed down to deck four."

Zenny stepped into the elevator and sighed, rubbing his temple as he holstered his SEP

The Elevator descended, opening again to reveal a small room flanked by the cargo bay, the door leading into it having a red cross on it. The door opened, but no one was inside.

Zenny proceeded into the medical bay, standing in the empty room. He looked to the ceiling. "Alright, ship. I've met your demands. Now take me to Ged!"

"Get gauze out of the drawer in front of you and wrap up your nose." The voice demanded, attempting to sound stern. The drawer in question popped open slightly, as if it had been waiting for him.

Zenny stood his ground boldly, talking/breathing nasally through his mouth. "Neeber. I demand to shee Ged this inshtant."

"Open your Eyes, and you shall see" the voice said, simply.

Pause

Meena, after asking for directions from a passerby, strode toward the SS Atuan, her arms above her head as she stretched. She was dressed in her brand new Origin uniform, as expected though she wore it rather casually.

"Hey Arah," Meena said as she approached. She gave a wave. "Oh, I mean, 'Hey Captain Arah.'" The private gave an innocent smile.

The captain tipped her head back, Letting an eye peer from underneath. After a moment or two of adjusting to the light, it shone with recognition. "Ah, Meena. It's been a couple weeks, Hasn't it? I'd be wary of the other one inside; Zenny. He's insane. The ship's taking care of him right now." Arah tilted her head back down, waving towards the gangway and the door. "Go on in, the room is halfway down the main hall on your right, choose a bed. Oh, and watch the blood."

"Great. So we already have a crazy one? A bleeding crazy one no less! Well, I suppose it won't be dull," Meena said offhandedly as she went into the ship. "If you need anything Ar- Captain Arah, just call." She really needed to get used to saying that.

Inside, she headed slowly down the hall, taking small hops over the drops of blood. Just a little further and the private was at the door. She knocked on the door, as a common courtesy (you never know if someone could be changing their clothes inside!), before she entered.

Meena did a quick scan about the room. Nope, nobody about. She turned to the... hmm... left side of the room and headed for the furthest bunk, which she promptly plopped down on.

Then, there was an awkard moment of silence as Meena wondered what to do. "Hello? Ship?" she asked.

"Yes Miss Vershan?" A voice piped up, from somewhere, ostensibly the ceiling, but it could have been a wall or the floor. The voice was just kind of there. "Do you need any help?" The computer, to meena anyway, was nothing if not polite, and seemed to be rather concerned for her.

"Ah, sorry. Just wanted to see if you're awake," Meena chuckled. "Rather, I just wanted to get to know you. To start a frienship. To learn about my comrade. To gain insight into... into... the place I'll be staying for a while. To... To... okay, I can't think of another."

She leaned back, swiveled around and laid down on her bed, staring up at the ceiling.

"Ah, fer cryin' owdd... You bin this wound, Foul Ship, budd Zenny Ontawius shall bwing Auwsome Justus to you in the end!" He grabbed his nose, cracked the cartilage back into place, and stomped to the door. He kicked it vigorously until it decided to open for him, then proceeded to the elevator. It attempted to sprinkle its cheerful, if not robotic, greeting on him, but was cut short by a "SHADDUP!" Zenny punched the button for the third floor, waited the three seconds for the elevator to get there, then stomped back on out, clenching his teeth as the elevator muttered, "Have a nice day," behind him. He stomped up the hall, kicked a few more times on the door labeled 'barracks,' and stepped inside. He stood in the doorway, looking around for a moment, before noticing Meena. He jumped a bit, his expression brightening with grim intuition. "Ah, Ged! At last, I have found you! This Foul Ship has attempted to mislead and kill me. You must beware! Even now, it may be plotting our destruction. Hurry! We must find the Captain, and bring Awesome Justice to the Evil that resides within these walls!!" The sudden appearance was quite dramatic, especially considering the purpling bruise on his forehead, the only now drying blood around his nose, and the expression of vengeance on his face as he flailed his arms around.

Meena blinked at the bloody lunatic. How did this guy get a job now?

"Uh, I am not Ged. I'm Meena," she said. Just in case he didn't understand, she repeated herself, "Say it with me. Meena. You should probably go to the medbay."

Ged's Voice appeared out of nowhere, filling the room with laughter. it sounded more natural here than it had in the hallway. "I happen to be Ged, and I would much appreciate it if Zenny would stop kicking the doors, or he will be repainting them. He WAS in the Med bay a moment ago, but I suppose he believes he knows better." The computer laughed again, as if amused by Zenny's lack of maturity. "I'm sorry you had to see him like this, Miss Vershan." The computer apologized.

"ACK!" Zenny shouted, dumbfounded. "The SHIP is Ged?? Wery well den. Ged, I thwear I shall haff my Awthum Bengunce! Where Zenny Ontawius goes, ebil stands ASIDE!" With that, he turned on his heel, kicked the door a few more times, and exited the ship to retrieve his belongings and formulate a plan to overthrow the tyrannous computer intelligence known only as Ged.

Meena just facepalmed, though gently. "Uh, it's alright, uh, Ged. I certainly hope you don't have pain sensors."

"You know, I'm sure this job would already be dangerous, considering I'm a test pilot, but I think adding the crazy person... Zenny, is only going to make it worse."

"Then I suppose I shouldn't tell you what Zenny's job is" Ged quipped, chuckling. The computer seemed unperterbued by the abuse to the ship, which, in all honesty, could not hurt, what with the ship's thick Durandium construction. "Don't worry about me, Miss, Zenny's outbursts are nothing more than amusement to me."

As Zenny opened the door, he would be greeted with an average-sized man, sporting a buzz cut, but with a long thin braid hanging down over his shoulder. He wore a A-shirt under his Origin jacket, and brown cargo pants that seemed to be stuffed with, well, stuff. He carried a duffel over his shoulder, and seemed to be somewhat bored, staring at Zenny's bloodied face. Arah joined the man in staring, as well.

"Oh... great." Meena could guess that Zenny was going to be a test pilot too. Why were they giving a clearly insane man weapons that can kill people? "Well, if those kicks don't do anything, I hope whatever he's testing won't do anything to you either."

A Yamataian by the name of Tachibana Yoshiko made her way to the ship she was assigned to. She had gotten lost a few times, and was even shoved into a very crowded area where she suspected someone groped her before finding her way here. All in all, things were finally looking up! She went over the specifications for this ship shortly before arrival, and found out it had a full machine shop inside it. At that, she simply KNEW this was the ship for her. There were three people at the entrance to the ship. She immediately strode over, "Private Tachibana Yoshiko here! Requesting Captain Arah Tenner and Ged." she spoke, bowing. As soon as she finished the bow, she got a good look at their faces. Yoshiko spoke like a fully automatic, "Oh blood! Are you alright? Is your nose broken? Does it hurt? How did you hurt yourself? Wait, what's your name!?" and clutched her hands to her chest, wiggling in place.

"It's okay, Miss Vershan. The Ashigaru are subservient to me, so if he tries to do anything I can simply shut him down." Ged chuckled a bit, before going silent once more. Several moments later, he alerted her, "there are a few more people outside, if you wish to mingle."

"Hrm... maybe. If Zenny is out there, maybe it's best if I stay in here, especially if he was issued a standard pistol, he might just turn it on me for maybe defecting to the evil side," Meena replied, rolling her eyes.

"Also, good to know he won't be killing us all with those mechs!" She lay down on her bed, staring up at the ceiling, biding her time.

Zenny pranced around the man he had nearly walked into, up beside the nearby Captain Arah, and presented himself to the two new faces. He stuck a blazing Thumbs Up into the air, piercing the sky! A reassuringly sane, friendly smile crossed his face. "WELCOME! Tachibana Yoshiko, I am just Awesome, thanks! I obtained this negligible injury while in Awesome Combat with the rogue computer intelligence of the Awesome Giant Robot Test Ship SS Atuan, also known as Ged! Perhaps you would join me in bringing Awesome Justice to his corrupt motherboard?!" He finished his question with a theatrical flick of his hand, placing his thumb and index finger on his chin.

Zenny quickly dropped his hand however, to place it on his hip. "Ah, but how rude of me, a proper introduction is in order!" He spun around, his back facing them, then twirled about to face them again, thrusting a blazing Thumbs Up into the air, piercing the sky!!!!! "I am Zenny Ontarius, Warrior of Awesome Justice and number one Luca Pavone fan! But for our mission, you may refer to me as Awesome Ace Pilot, Gold Leader One! I will have the privilege of leading you on an Awesome Crusade of Justice, while testing Awesome Giant Robots!! Be prepared for Action! Adventure! Excitement! Romance!~" he muttered, eying Captain Arah quickly, "and AWESOME!! ARE. YOU. READY??!" Zenny's body spoke almost as loudly as his mouth, putting overwhelming emphasis into every word. Observers may have noticed the air around him sparkling vaguely, though how was a mystery.

"Zenny Ontarius, Zenny Ontarius, Zenny Ontarius. Got it!" Yoshiko rapidly repeated, memorizing his name. "So we're going to be piloting giant robots together? That sounds...Awesome!" she exclaimed in schoolgirlish delight, returning the same Blazing Thumbs Up to Zenny. "Oh wait, you've met Ged already? How is he, or she? I'm not entirely sure about gender yet. But I hope Ged's nice! Buh, wha?" she suddenly paused in confusion. Yoshiko's face had taken on an expression of confusion that was rather comical, looking like a freshman far out of her league. "Ged...hurt you?" She asked, finally slowing down. "Tell me about it! Tell me about it! Spill the beans would you?!" Once again, she was her fast talking self.

"Ged didn't hurt Zenny" Arah pointed out. "He simply gave Zenny an opportunity to be a polite, well-mannered individual, and Zenny blew it" The captain stretched in her chair. "Oh, I'm Arah by the way" she mumbled, holding out a hand for Yoshiko to shake. "Welcome abourd the Atuan."

Shinji shook his head at the crazy people he'd have to work with, but from the sounds of it, this Ged would be a helpful ally in practical joking, and Shinji now had two prime targets. It would be an enjoyable assignment, the Yamataian thought, chuckling to himself as he walked in the door, and headed for the barrack.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back