Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

OOC [OOC] Acadia Discussion

Re: [OOC] Acadia Dicusssion

True...but I wonder if I can request that "soft marines" be deployed through the use of our "Viper" transports.

If that is the case, then I can maintain my original mindset. If not, I will adopt a lighter power armor that enables speed and long-range weaponry...yet to be decided.

I just read the entire formatting of the Hray front to back, and yes, it has "soft marine" deployment capabilities.

It is not only able to submerge in planetary oceans, giving the marines the ability to swim to the surface with water-breathing equipment, but it can contain up to five shuttles and still secure 20 PAs. So, I am assuming that there will be at least one shutte.

Whether I am wanted in Power Armor or not still has yet to be determined, however, and that is up to the GM.

the current GM lives in Malaysia, and he is on at very random times. perhaps he can clear this up when next he is on.

kai said:
Planetary insertion tends to be the ship flying into atmosphere, going to about 1000M, and dumping the Powered Armor clad marines over their objective. For softer marines (aka no powered armor) I have no clue how they do it. if we do go on a mission, your character will probably be made to use a PA, especially if we're going into space or a hostile environment.
Traditionally (before the use of power armor), Nepleslian forces would deploy by truck, helicopter, or parachute. Parachuting from a dropship would be a feasible (and kind of cool) option.

I am thinking about buying a glider, depending on how expensive they are and how much I have left. That way, I can Spec Ops my way to my target and never get within good firing ranges of ground troops xD

EDIT: My character is now edited to include the purchase of a Glider backpack and a skill allowing him to be proficient in flying with the pack.

Soft troops, eh?

While it would be more uniform to have everyone be PA pilots, I'm still out to please everybody. There is a small number of other players who have expressed their preference to non-PA combat so... I'll try to work something out.

In the meantime, everyone get up here. The show isn't over!

I'm game for the "soft troops" thing. Maybe get a VTOL Viper to take us down? We could infiltrate a base or something, take care of some boys on turrets?

I don't know...just making suggestions. The ultimate decision is, of course, yours Fian.

(woa, Malaysia?)

I personally think putting infantry in with the PAs isn't the best mix. Like you've said, a PA can just mow you guys down no sweat. I'd also recommend going with a very light PA that's got a good monoeye and a solid sniper rifle (LBR?). There's a huge gap between infantry weapons and PA weapons, and you'd really want to be in the PA if you want to put in some solid damage with each shot. Not to mention all the stealth, detection, and maneuverability options you have at your disposal, fitting in much better with the Spec Ops persona.

...anyway, besides the rambling, this is the distant future where a few hunks of metal turn you into a humanoid tank. I would assume that, quite the contrary, nobody would want to be without a PA unless it's absolutely 100% necessary. Although I do understand your desire to go old-school.

~~~and question, Fian is using an AIR-R... what exactly is the difference from a regular AIR and a type R? I'm terrible with anything I can't glean off the wiki.

I agree with your point, but mine is this:

If Fian wanted us to do the soft troops game, we could just infiltrate a base that has a smaller set of hallways then PA could navigate. That way, the enemy is forced to fight us on infantry terms or give up that base/outpost/ship. I mean, there are always hallways fit for only PEOPLE and not PA.

But, it's up to him.

EDIT: If I was forced to use PA, I think I would find myself in a VOID M7.

If Fian wanted us to do the soft troops game, we could just infiltrate a base that has a smaller set of hallways then PA could navigate. That way, the enemy is forced to fight us on infantry terms or give up that base/outpost/ship. I mean, there are always hallways fit for only PEOPLE and not PA.

Which is precisely what was done in B Side.

~~~and question, Fian is using an AIR-R... what exactly is the difference from a regular AIR and a type R? I'm terrible with anything I can't glean off the wiki.
https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=nepleslia:Storm

Long story short.
1. No Autoloader for the FMD.
2. VBCS changed to foldable Vibro-Broadsword.
3. Improved emphasis on weapon's case.
4. Scalar instead of laser PLAs.
5. RAPTOR rifle.
6. Fast Booster compatibility.

In short, it's better armed and more maneuverable than the original AIR. It was part of an overhaul program for the ELEMENTAL series of PAs, along with the FIRE-R "Inferno" and the WATER-R.

Echo said:

Yeah, while Fian cited B-side, I think others prefer PAs just as some prefer softies. Having an infantry/PA side for each mission is a bit unappealing to me, however. It's almost like having two separate RPs.

And on the AIR-R: ah, thanks. the wiki article only calls it the AIR-R, like, once. Explains why I couldn't find it. So the AIR-R is a modified M1. You prefer it over the M2? I think I've mentioned... but my favorite is the Lancer <3 mach 3.5 and a fusion lance.... *drools*

Considering PAs are powered suits of super-heavy armor, I don't really think they can make the hallways small enough that it wouldn't impede regular troops, it's why PAs are so much more powerful than a poor old footslogger.

I would join B side, but there hasn't been a post there in two weeks. I would prefer to have my character just tough it out with his sniper, or be forced to use PA I guess.

Cipher, they ARE all on the tenth floor, besides Trey and Lilliy, whom are on the fourth floor. I just haven't had a chance to move Trey up to the 10'th floor yet.

Isn't she offline/absent?

ne? right here. On the 4th floor. Wondering why Trey hasn't responded.

*looks at Kai* :|

correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all the lifts/shafts blown to hell? I could use a lift if I were to get to the 10th floor.

*cough*
*looks at Kai*

RPG-D RPGfix
Back