Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

OOC [OOC] Acadia Discussion

Sorry, I suppose you haven't had time to brush up on all your Armors, Keladrian, so I should have clarified. The shield drones of the VOID M7 can be deployed unanimously to create a "bubble shield," or in groups of 3 or 4 to create triangular and rectangular shields respectively. That's why I sent you them. Just one or two isn't going to do anyone any good.

So, you need at least three in order to triangulate, if I understand what you're saying? (This is directed to Blackbird, btw.)

Also, I have a question on IC and OOC etiquette. Should we (Read: I) attempt to refrain from making OOC comments in the actual mission thread, and instead post them here?

And please, if I do make a mistake, send me vicious hate PM's and posties in the OOC thread to enable me to fix those mistakes. (I was moderately joking about the vicious hate part... :D ) Blackbird is right, I haven't really brushed up on all the armor. I've mostly been trying just to figure out what weapons and ammo I should be using or handing people. :?

A little GM magic will make it like it never happened, except of course, the lessons some of you will have learnt.
Changelog:
1. Changed Harrison to Kingston in Adair's first post.
2. Removed the first two paragraphs of Cipher's post (Saved below for reference)
3. Deleted Adair's second post.

((Adair, no. Bad. No bunnying my character. Besides, the FIRE is a support armor; not designed to be stabbing shit in the face. And why the hell are we moving when reinforcements are coming to us...?))

'Wait, wait, wait...' Harrison thought to himself. "Why the fuck am I moving?" The merc said out loud, over the all-hands channel, looking at his left forearm, which was covered in Mishhu gore, like his chainsword. "And when did I stab a Mishhu?"

The general rule is you can only control your own character and NPCs assigned (OOCly) to you. If you wish your character to do something to these NPCs and other PCs, the rule is that you can only 'try', it is the GM's prerogative to determine if you actually succeed.

But for this mission NPCs (including enemy NPCs) are being controlled by the players so... The above rule currently only applies to actions against other players. (For example, Phaedra and Viktor duking it out)

Also, I have a question on IC and OOC etiquette. Should we (Read: I) attempt to refrain from making OOC comments in the actual mission thread, and instead post them here?
Yep.

Blackbird is right, I haven't really brushed up on all the armor. I've mostly been trying just to figure out what weapons and ammo I should be using or handing people. :?

Our SARPWiki is a very messy place with obsolete and irrelevant stuffs. For now, just read up the Aggressor, Hostile, and Ripper Power Armors. Your GM will alert you to required reading when the situation calls for it.

Mishhuvurthyar stuff is purposely left vague, it's supposed to show that we don't know too much about it, ICly, as approved articles on the Wiki are technically IC.

That being said, you guys are doing a terrible job fighting them, nearly everyone here is powergaming, taking down Rippers in one or two shots, when rippers are, at the very least as armored as a Hostile, if not as tough as an Agressor.

The Ripper page has nothing when it comes to DR values for armor. Technically, they could be fairly weak, even if the general description of them is "very strong."

That being said, keep in mind Rippers are extremely deadly up-close and are the backbone of the Mishhu, of which the general consensus is that they swarm their opponents. This doesn't mean we're fighting the Zerg, it just means that we're fighting a lot of high-quality PAs.

At any rate, will have post soon. I'm fairly sure that its time for the Marines to get extracted. Just gotta figure out how.

Hey now, it's easier to not powergame when damage is up to the GM, we're sort of without one currently (although Koenig is doing an excellent job). Give the new guys a chance to learn the ropes.

And as far as taking them out in one or two shots: Multiphase Rifle 8-)

It's easier to not powergame when you're fighting one instead of incoming waves, that said, I've been leaving my ammunition usage particularly vague and press-ganging NPCs into my volleys; though I really do wish someone else was controlling NPCs, I can't tell if I'm godding or not (especially since the Ripper's don't have any numbers to compare against).

I'm sure an older Ripper wiki had numbers, I understand leaving an article vague, but not making it vague when it previously wasn't; is my memory faulty or did the Ripper get firewalled?

Ripper stats according to the Yammies, translated into Fianspeak. Thanks Kai.
(Round here does not mean individual shots, but one full turn of shooting)
=================================================
Armor: Between Aggressor and Hostile.
= 2 LBR/MPR hits in the same place will penetrate.
= 4 (approximately) Rounds of HPAR fire will destroy.
= Small pilot cavity, difficult to target.

Shields: Between Aggressor and Hostile.
= 4 LBR/MPR hits will break.
= 4 Cycles of HPAR fire will break.
= Slow regeneration.

Ranged Damage Output: Between Aggressor and Hostile.
= 40mm Gauss/PTC Equals to 1 LBR/MPR hits, Fires once per round, fired as it is without use of hands.
= Forearm Light Aether Cannon (FLAC) equals damage done by 1 round of HPAR per forearm, Rapid fire.

Anti-Missile: Similar to Aggressor
= Excellent at range (Use of FLAC+PSP in both arms equals to 3 Pulse Laser Arrays)
= Terrible at close (Arm will not traverse fast enough to engage multiple targets.)
= No rear coverage.
= In any case, the use of the arm based weapons to intercept missiles will prevent the Ripper from using the same weapons for other things during that round.

Mobility: Worse than FIRE1
= Only butt mounted thrusters present, can only boost forward and upward.
= Very slow to change directions in midflight
= Weapon accuracy drops when taking damage in midflight.
= Weapon accuracy drops when taking damage from explosive weapons.

Melee: Better than FIRE1
= Buckler (on both arms) is good for protecting against hits, similar to normal Nep PA forearm guard.
= Razor (on one arm) is good for thrusting and slashing, similar to VBCS Shortsword.
= Melee attacks by the Ripper is easy to avoid and counter due to inherent clumsiness of the Brainslave.

Sensors: Unknown
= Assume similar to M1 Demon.
================================================

However do not use these stats just yet for this mission. It will be explained later that the Rippers used were poorly made and inferior.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back