• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

OOC [OOC] Cirrus Station Discussion

For Tweak's situation, I don't see why we couldn't change something the hard text says, seeing as your character is somewhat off of the record. Don't think I'll always let you take advantage of it, however.

As for Laj's situation, everything concerning him has (mostly) followed the personal standards I've set for this episode. He was auto'd rather forcibly...but I'm not going to raise a fuss over it, seeing as I can easily play it as such. Don't get too used to it, though; I am going to see a cut-down of the autoing.

As for why Tweak wouldn't have noticed if his limbs were modified or not...well, I'm usually not in the mindset of describing bone density and structure in my posts, hah. You'll have to give me some sort of hint in-post of what exactly your character is looking for if you want it that badly/easily.

Fnar-har!

EDIT: Marissa Cranker's a man?!

"Administrator Montreal, ma'am," he explained, "the fuck I know who she is. Marissa Cranker, husband of Laj Vinross-Yu..."

It's magical mixup day!

Kevyn said:
I'd say run with it. After all, she is an experimental (read:upgraded) variation on the stock model. It stands to reason that her subsystems would be superior to a stock NH-7 in at least a few ways.
Done. I figured a work-around in my last IC post.

Though from a game balance perspective, there should probably be some way to keep Tweak from being invisible 24/7 if she wanted to. Maybe enhanced energy drain or something?

Or you could just read it as being imposable to enter stealth in combat.
The regular stealth neko models have a 12-14 minute limit on their stealth time. From what I understood from the ancient Yui chats, Active stealth not only provides optical camouflage, it also represses their heat signatures to almost nil, which leads to a very high chance of overheating when in combat which is probably why there's that 'impossible' tag. I suppose we could say that Tweak maintains the optical at the sacrifice of minimal heat...or it could account for the fact she lost at least ten minutes of stealth time. Her fighting (even six seconds worth) created enough heat that the system couldn't keep it hidden as long as it normally could. So, if we go with that explanation, she should still be invisible to thermals.

Me too, actually...except that she was camo'd...though admittedly, if she can carry a half-ton without going into overdrive, then it shouldn't matter.

MoonMan said:
For Tweak's situation, I don't see why we couldn't change something the hard text says, seeing as your character is somewhat off of the record. Don't think I'll always let you take advantage of it, however.
I'll start a file and hammer out some specific differences and submit it to you soon.

Is it really an auto? I gave you a chance to post whether it worked or not (with ample reasons why it should work, but the end result was it was up to you. If you had good reason he could get out of that position, then I wouldn't have objected. It was not an auto.

Everything I've said about what Tweak has done has been in "IF she connects, THIS is what happens" format which, it has been my understanding, is not an auto. The only auto I recall is Tweak kicking Marissa away, since there was no real chance to dodge, but even so YOU dictated the results.

Auto: In combat, it's an attack that assumes a hit without waiting for the other player's response. In RP, it refers to actively taking away control of another player's character and dictates their movements directly without input from the controlling player. An OOC version of mind control.

I have done none of that.

It just so happens that she got the drop on him so you may have seen no alternative, but there WERE alternatives. You were given a say in how it actually went down. And, yes, I fully expect you to quote this explanation back at me if you ever catch me in this sort of situation later on...in fact, that's kinda how you've been playing this entire scenario. You catch us in these things and you say "There is a way out, you just need to look for it." Well, that's all that happened to Laj. And there are ways out of an arm lock like the one Tweak had him in. He just didn't use any of them.

No, and I wasn't asking you to describe bone density and structure. I just was asking you to tell me whether his arm broke or not.

"As Tweak tightened her grip, she would find that the bones weren't breaking."

If she squeezed with the intent of shattering his arm, she would notice if it wasn't doing what she expected it to do. I shouldn't have to type that. Touch is one of those always-on, always-paying-attention senses. Sight needs to be focused on its target, as does hearing (sometimes), and smell. Touch does not. If something doesn't feel right, she's going to notice.

But, the end result is the same as what happened, she would have settled for the arm-dislocation anyway, so no real worries with the result. Basically, Moon, if something is going to change how our characters react to a situation, it would be nice to know it. It should be a GM's duty to anticipate what the players' characters would see, hear, feel, etc. in any given situation and provide the information necessary, especially in a situation like that. It would take longer for a back-and-forth ("Tweak squeezes" "Arm doesn't crush" "Tweak wonders why" "Arm is metal/superdense") when we can cut down on that with a simple note that the attack failed and a reason why so the player knows how to adapt for that, and to justify to the attacking player WHY their attack failed. Otherwise it just feels cheap.

Also, if anything, saying she dislocated his arm (when the crushing motion wouldn't have done that at all, squeezing is completely different than pulling and twisting roughly) was more of an auto than anything I did. You took my character and dictated her actions. I've never done that without asking permission, leaving an option for the player involved to refuse. This is a small thing, but I don't want this policy applied in situations with larger results.

Besides, any other time I've SPECIFICALLY LOOKED AROUND, I get no reply. Case in point: My last IC post when Tweak looked around for cameras and other monitoring devices in the distant section of ducts she is in, which your reply said nothing about.

Yes, I am getting worked up, so I'll stop here before I make any more enemies.

Oh. Wow. Okay, I was going to post, but now I've got a major question to ask. I just read through the description for the xaser rifle again. Does anyone remember when Cyril took a xaser hit way back when? Well, I'd completely misinterpreted how the weapon functioned. I'd missed the part where it goes through unshielded armor. I just saw the DR, 'cause that's what I was looking for at the time.

So, I guess the question is how long do you think you could go without noticing a xaser hit (either a graze or a direct hit) if you were riding a combat high? And now slightly concussed too, I guess.

Probably just until the high ends. I dunno how much a concussion would dull pain.

With a glancing hit, though, it probably wouldn't be too bad. Like getting smacked with a hot branding iron (because that's incredibly pleasant!).

The direct hit, well, that's what I got to play out. So there's your example for that!

That's what I thought. I kinda had a mental image of Cyril getting up to grab a medkit, taking two steps and the collapsing from internal injuries once the adrenaline wears off. I may just take that course...

At this point, I'm not sweating the details. :mrgreen:

Let's just continue on as is so that we can hopefully come to a close on this episode and begin breaking into the next one.

Blaagh, crappy post is crappy. But hey, at least it gets Cyril out of the way so that Noboru, Stovaa and the rest can get back to covering our collective asses without distraction.

So, is everybody loitering around the crate with the assorted wounded right now, or do we have two groups right now? I'm a little confused, now that I've gone back and reread some of the old stuff.

Deacon is currently up in the observation room looking for clues or things to salvage from the attack. He is also using this time to cool down over the fact that he is feeling like the outcast of the group since he is always "doing things wrong".

AoK said:
Deacon is currently up in the observation room looking for clues or things to salvage from the attack. He is also using this time to cool down over the fact that he is feeling like the outcast of the group since he is always "doing things wrong".

Silly AoK. Deacon is always doing things wrong.

You hush. Leave Deacon alone or Claire will put your balls in a vice. :twisted:

But... but, Serra, the one who dislikes being with anyone in the squad, aside from Dream, honestly thanked Deacon for saving her life.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…