• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

OOC [OoC] Miharu Discussion thread

Thanks for the offer Wes. It's appreciated. However, I'm afraid I'll have to presently turn you down.

Miharu's third mission is something I want to head toward with no tangents. Besides, most of the observations done by the tech crew so far hint at Miharu's overhaul at the end of Mission 3 (which I have hinted at so far). Basically, if the ship survives, Tom is probably going to get his wish.

So... thanks... but not right away.

Okay. Remember Eucharis is SP, not JP, so it's a lot easier to do crossovers than Miharu/Sakura was.

I have been enjoying reading the Miharu's IC posts. I think you have a great crew, definitely top-notch IC and OOC.

Thanks Wes. I am sure everyone appreciate your praise.

The italicized part is mostly what I want to respect. Not only because the overhaul I'm working on is not complete, but because I want to encourage the players having the power to make a difference. Miharu's overhaul was really meant to be after Eve was dealt with, not before... but I can roll with that.

That conversation Kotori is having with Nyton got me thinking. Kotori's ambitions are pretty naked in some ways and this goes beyond her being a Game Master controlled character. Sometimes, I wonder what to make of it, wonder if its even something that can be realized, look at the people whom ruled Yamatai (their roleplay) and wonder how in the future Kotori might compare to them if she eventually ever gets there.

Heh. ^_^;

Coming the end of Mission 3, assuming that it goes well enough for the ship to survive, Miharu should receive something of an overhaul. I make this thread so that I can input what the whole thing might entail, the changes I'm liable to implement and also give my players the chance to comment on it.

Circumstances:
Miharu's hull life was graded at 5 years, but it was obviously not meant to be pushed to that point as there was the expectation that it would undergo an extensive refit.

However, the Himiko-class design team was mostly dissolved by the declaration of independance of the United Outer Colonies. The people in part of the project were already making joint projects with Motoyoshi Fleet Yards to help with the designs around late-YE 29, so they made easy transition from KFY to either MFY or homegrown industries of the UOC (where do you think all that double-layered hull and regenerative shielding came from for the UOC? *shrugs*).

That leaves the two Himiko prototypes and any to-be vessels in a limbo, where KFY designers look over the abandoned work of the other team and puzzle on what they could do with it. Seeing the Himikos are powerful, but not nearly as cost-effective as ship models like the Plumerias and the Type 30 Irims... so, increasing considerations were being put into simply mothballing the project.

Something which won't suit Kotori. There are good odds that Mission 3 may end with Miharu having sustained damage significant enough to give Tom exactly what he'd like: a chance to pull Miharu apart and put her back together better. For that purpose, she's likely to enlist the 'services' of Suzuka Light Industries so to supervise the overhaul and give Yukari's fledgling company her first big contract.

Ship designation:
Miharu's likely to be definitely hammered down as a Light Cruiser (it sort of was more in the Heavy Gunship category through role - that's going to be tweaked on). It's quite likely the classification will go from Himiko-class to Miharu-class (happened from the Yui 5-class to the Nozomi-class, so, it's not that much of a stretch).

Spaceframe:
One part of the project ought to drastically remodel Miharu's external appearance.

One objective is to make it so that the ship has no outward weak point; anything that's a wing, an engine or the like will be integrated within the hull instead of outside. This pretty much means that the ship's torpedo rollbar will be moved so to fuse it directly with the hull, and that the winglike gravimetric arrays will be joined with the ship instead of obviously flaring out.

The hull of the vessel itself will go for a more streamlined look, trying to remove most bumps and ridges and better cover more exposed components of the ship such as the sensor dome. Most of the weapon systems will likely be embedded in the hull and components such as gun-mount and turrets will likely emerge out from behind shutters once they are needed (The advanced hull plating in the final Star Trek Voyager episode comes to mind as an example).

The ship should have three large landing pylons set in a tripod pattern, one on the undercarriage of the main gun and the two others underslung beneath each of the stubby wingtips.

The auxiliary ship itself is taken out of the design in favor of shuttle use. A shuttle model made to suit the ship's purpose and needs will likely be implemented as part of the package.

Overall, the vessel should have a slightly aerodyne diamond shape (Voyager's delta flyer bears uncanny resemblance) though the slight depression in front of the torpedo launcher and the engines to the side may lend it a vaguely catamaran-like look. As far as hull geometry goes, I've had a lot of inspiration coming from the F-22 Raptor, the Lamborghini Reventón and the Lexus Nuaero.

Armor:
Miharu will be using Durandium-Yamataiaum composite armor plating, much like the Daisy power armor does. It will be significantly thinner than the 1.5 meter Miharu supposedly currently boasts. I'm hoping to depict heat impact and hull stress from damage a bit more accurately with the non-use of zesuaium.

Propulsion:
Primary sublight propulsion should be provided by a combination of four anti-matter plasma thrusters. Standard speed performance ought to be around 100 000 km/s (roughly 0.3c) with an acceleration making it possible to reach full speed in 10 seconds, provided the ship's inertial dampeners and subspace distorsion drives adequately protect the ship and crew from the 1m+ G acceleration.

It bears mention that the STL engines are located around where the passenger suites and the rec rooms were originally. With the torpedo launcher being mated to the ship's hull, crew amenities are due to be relocated.

Secondary sublight propulsion comes from reaction control thruster blocks positioned in certain section of the ship, allowing the vessel to maneuver. The thrusters alone are amply enough for atmospheric flight or orbital maneuvering.

Secondary Faster-Than-Light propulsion will come from four subspace distorsion drives, which pretty much works like how CDD do. I take liberties with the naming frankly just because I want to physically detail the system differently from the gyroscopic-like CDD/CFS assemblies. Odds are good I'll follow the lead of Star Trek and go for something like their symmetrical warp plasma coils visually.

Primary Faster-Than-Light propulsion is going to be the hyperspace fold system. I'm thinking of following the lead of 'Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles' as to how the system will function and appear.

Miharu actual speed isn't fixed at the moment. I expect it to be fairly fast, but it will have far more engine elements than before. I'm frankly wondering why the ship should be slower than the Plumeria. *shrugs*

Re: Miharu's overhaul thread

Mostly because I'm not done writing about it. That's an excerpt.

As far as the Medical Facilities go, there's not a whole lot of change aside from a few things. One is the lost of the Hoshi's medical facilities.

I'm mostly leaving the concept of decon rooms to the side, mainly because they don't seem to come up to the sort of use they should have. Contamination in SARP is pretty much ignored for the most part.

So.

Entries to the ship will typically have a set of biofilter sensors and field systems. That's so to gloss over the threat of contamination while not entirely dismissing it. If a person react positively to it, the medlab will be reasonably close to the ship's launch bay, allowing the ailing person to board a lift and get a quick ride to a section of the medlab made expressly to deal with such problems.

Other than that, it's the usual KFY-like medical lab unless I get inputs as to things you'd rather have or not have.

Power Systems:
Miharu will likely function on three power sources.

Main Power (70% of total ship power):
2 Matter/Anti-Matter Reactor Assemblies ought to provide most of the power to the ship. Power is then distributed in two fashions:

• Most of the plasma produced is shunted away nearly directly to the sublight engine assembly, where it either feeds it directly or branches off through an accelerator system to head for the faster-than-light subspace distorsion drive. Once there, it can provide power for the distorsion drive or branch off again through another plasma accelerator to feed power to the hyperspace fold drive.

The 'main power grid' effectively feeds the sublight engines first with energy. If the sublight engines aren't used, the power is easily diverted to the distorsion drive and if the ship is to use fold, the power can handily be distributed there instead. While the Himiko-class' power grid tries to provide everything with power and ends up overtaxing itself, the overhaul instead focuses on giving power in an escalating fashion to what needs it.

• The reactor cooling system reuses the waste heat released from the reactor much as a fusion reactor does and uses it to heat heavy water-run generators. The electricity produced goes to the reserve power.

Reserve power (20% of total ship power): Mostly stored through power capacitors, reserve power is used to furnish energy to most of the other ship systems other than the very demanding engine elements and to maintain the power upkeep on the reactor systems in the first place (main power requires electricity to run in the first place, after all). The capacitors will run out of power in long engagements (20 minutes estimate) and may need several minutes (5~10), once depleted, to return to full charge. The charge held may start to decay after more than an hour spent without constant feed from main power.

Emergency power (10% of total ship power): Sturdy batteries close to the bridge and main computer. Emergency power batteries can either be used to maintain survival conditions for a time in case of catastrophic power failure or provide a short spurt of increased power to support the vessel in a dire situation. Unlike reserve power, the emergency batteries take more than half-a-day to recharge, but the charge they hold decays on a yearly scale when left without feed from main power.

Unlike the Himiko-class, the overhaul's power requirements are expected to go at 35% for standard operation while using the hyperspace fold drive at cruising speed, and 50% at peak military power (assuming only one engine mode is used at a time); it is possible in theory to have the ship running in maximum power consumption up to 80% of the ship's total power output, though it's generally considered wasteful.

End result? The ship should suffer little to no power shortages. Just one of the matter/anti-matter reactors would in fact be sufficient to help the vessel function at peak military power without resorting to emergency power.

The redundancy helps, because it helps the vessel considerably in dealing with damage it might sustain. In an instance where main power cannot be maintained anywhere near ideal conditions, the technicians still have plenty of working room to tweak on the power grid and manage in difficult situations.

Fuel:
The Matter-Anti-Matter reactors function mainly on deuterium (heavy water) obtained through the Matter Collection System of the ship and anti-deuterium, which is stored in special anti-matter pods located close to the ship's main gun.

The anti-matter pods hold the hazardous Anti-Deuterium safely thanks to magnetic containment. In the event of magnetic seal cohesion dropping beyond recovery from the technicians on board (usually due to damage close to the storage units by weapons such as positron cannons, for instance), the pods can be ejected to spare the ship from them exploding. The pods themselves are quite tough and only a direct hit from an anti-ship weapon would be likely to make them detonate - such an event, though, would grievously damage the ship and might cause a chain reaction from the nearby pods making sympathetic explosions, thus resulting in the destruction of the vessel.

So, yeah, pretty heavy armor around those pods. More like plain Yamataium than the composite material - it's not a place anyone wants to be stingy on. ^_^;

The deuterium storage is luckily easier to handle. It's basically a bunch of big pressurized liquid storage tanks. While Anti-deuterium sees use mostly in the power reactors and the ammunition for the ship's main cannon, deuterium has something of a wider, more important use. Not only is it reactant for the matter/anti-matter reaction, but it also serves as coolant.

The ship should have a network of coolant lines going around it beyond the reactor coolant assembly. Parts of the ship, especially in combat conditions, will be prone to overheating and the heavy water will be useable in such instances to 'flush' into problem areas and mitigate the situation.

Not only that, but in emergency situations where anti-deuterium runs out (unlikely, but possible), the ship's M/AM reactors can run only on deuterium much in the fashion of more mundane fusion reactors. They don't run as efficiently as a specialized fusion reactor, though, and it only provides power for limited STL and very limited FTL distorsion speeds seeing the plasma coming from a fusion reaction is much less than what comes out of a controlled anti-matter reaction.

So, while deuterium is more plentiful than anti-deuterium and that it can be collected through the Matter Collection System, good management of that resource remains important.

I miss Fred.

At the same time, I must express the sincere hope that while we're working through the shitstorm on the horizon, people will continue to perservere and post regularly while it's all being worked through even if we can't make signifigant plot progress until certain OOC things have been worked out. If we stagnate, that's when the real trouble starts. We must press on.

It's an excellent ship with an excellent crew, both IC and OOC. I don't expect anything less than a spirited full-steam-ahead even though the odds took a turn for the worst. That may be holding a high standard, but I wouldn't say it if I didn't think we were up to it as a community. We are.

Victory belongs to the most persevering. - Napolean

I added you as a GM and as a moderator, Blas.

Hey Jake, what say we bring this mission's day to a close. If anyone has some last second goodnights or what have yous let them get done within the next, what two days then start again?

Also its gonna be my son's birthday this friday and his party is on saturday. I have family flying in so I'll be a little less active but if you want I can start up the next day before the weekend.

Sounds perfect to me.

Sorry about the pause. I seem to get this way whenever I get faced with GMing again. That it's happened often enough to be recognized as a pattern ... aiyaa.

Lord help me.

Yoroko, feel free to indulge in the piloting and such, and Kel, if you want to play with the sensors and find out what wonderful secrets civilians are transporting onto Yamatai, feel free. They'll probably be our last posts before the day ends.

Speaking of Sanjuro, where's his order thread?

You guys will notice that most of the Miharu characters whom had order threads I could find for their awards and promotions for Mission 2.

Consider it after-service. I was already in the process of evaluating the crew before stuff came up.

Added note: Kotori's orders to the one whom was supposed to take control of the bridge - Masako (and by extension Yoroko) was to head for Bowhordia at distorsion speed.

Using fold won't give the crew anything looking like a good night's sleep before going into possibly hostile territory and every fold movement is usually painfully obvious on long range sensors.

Distorsion speed is slower, but will offer enough hours to go on to the next day before getting into 'trouble'. It's also more discreet than fold.

Nah, I'm good. But I may coordinate with Moonie or Yoroko to get in a minor JP taking place after the shift. Both of 'em have outstanding issues Miyoko might wanna address.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…