• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

[OOC] The Colosseum

I think its bout' time we revived this old turkey. Maybe with some blood, some gore, maybe some splattering.

I'm thinking, a one vs. one, it has to be interesting though... maybe a Lorath Vs. Yamataian in a no holds barred fight to the death that is completely removed from cannon plotline.

Of course that is just me... as for our complaints about rules. Maybe prior to a match up, a set of rules can be declared prior to the match, such as the following options.

To allow or forbid the use of:
Gravity manipulation, nodal magic, magic (For older races and whatnot), ranged weapons, weapons in general, armor, clothing (kekekeke), cheap shots (Sand in eyes, sucker punches, etc), psionic assaults, or any other combat gimmicks which may be involved depending on the fighters.

Meanwhile, OOC rules should also be worked out prior to the match, since these fights most likely won't involve GM's, I would think that the following would be suitable:

No auto hits, all hits must be RP'd out in the most logical manner and should only be evaded if a logical and suitable evasion is present, and if the character involved would be able to feasibly think of and perform the evasion.

Hits for psionic assault, they should be RP'd out accordingly depending upon the style of assault. All assaults should have a given chance of resistance depending upon the individuals involved.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Example I: Rufus Vs. Kotori, Kotori uses a psionic assault upon Rufus, Rufus' Nepleslian biology has no natural physical defense against the assault, and thus it impacts him easily. The resulting effects though could be lessened by Rufus' mental focus and or physical constitution, which may keep him from passing out, or suffering from psionic assault induced cardiac arrest.

Example II: Miles Vs. Kotori, Kotori uses a psionic assault upon Miles, Miles' Nepleslian biology has no natural physical defense against the assault, but he has a cybernetics augmented brain which compensates for the assault. Miles' organic tissues suffer from chemical imbalance and cause a moment of distraction or confusion prior to the cybernetics compensating and rendering the psionic assault mostly harmless.

Example III: Miles Vs. NH-18 Unit, Miles conducts a physical assault upon the NH-18; the NH-18 simply takes the hit and then infects Miles' body with nanomachines. These machines hack Miles' cybernetics and cause him to hallucinate; there is a given chance that Miles' will may overcome the hallucinations for a time before his psychological limits are reached.

Example IV: Kotori Vs. NH-28, Kotori performs psionic assault upon NH-28, it laughs, and it shoots her in the forehead with aetheric Gatling.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hits for nodal magic, magic, and energy weapons would have to be delt with accordingly by IC actions. Remember, energy weapon fire travels at the speed of light. If they've got you in their sights, you're boned.

Ranged weapon usage, due to the ease of being able to blast some one in the face, of course some nerfing would be required. I propose that ranged weapon assaults require two to three posts to complete. Draw, Aim, Fire in other words.

Nodal magic usage, due to the nature of nodal devices, I think it would be wise to have a "channeling" time for the assault, in other words, a post indicating that the character is calling upon a nodal assault, then a post detailing the assault.

Magic usage, due to the random nature of magic, I think that a nerfing would be involved in "instant cast" spells; I propose that all spells also require two posts, one for preparation, and another for execution.

Psionic assaults should also require various amounts of focus prior to usage. I think that a minor assault, such as inducing a small headache, would require a single post. On the other hand, an assault which would cause someone to black out would require at least a single post of focus, without interruption.

--------------------------

Of course, this is all just an idea... but if anyone likes it, please speak up.

How about simple damage systems? If you're going to do RPed out battles, you may as well have that sort of thing.

What I think would be good is:
All attacks have a base % hit of 50%.
Based on IC player skills/deficiencies, this will be raised/lowered by a certain percentage.
Damage is dealt based on the weapon (and some weapons may not deal damage in the traditional sense).
The amount of damage a character can take is dependant on race, experience, equipment, and (for some) luck.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to drag out the old number-based skill system for anyone who wants to participate in PvP, perhaps with some modifications - but only battle-related skills.

Just throwing this out here.

Ok Sonny Jim, these suggestions are nice.

But a serious role fighting arena needs serious rules. Saying that players need to hammer the rules out before each fight is both tiresome and potentaly disaterous, mainly due to everyone's want to fight at full power.

The other problem is that nekovalkyrja have a natural edge over everything, due to them being designed as the "Perfect" super race. Their strength, stamina, agility and reaction time are nearly beyong superhuman limits, so they are perfect examples of an unballanced race, and thus must be outlawed to fight, since they are generally unbeatable. Save the NH-29. Since it's more or less a Yamataian body with dumb looking ears and three fingers.

Only thing I can see a Neko being valid for a fight is if A) They're fighting another Neko or B} They agree to a temporary transfer to a less powerful body. (Which would mean an NH-27 Samurai being placed in either a Yamataian body, or an HN-29)

Chris said:
Nekovalkyrja have a natural edge over everything...and thus must be outlawed to fight
Outlawing Nekovalkyrja (who are designed for combat) from combat is ridiculous. Yeah, when they fight humans it'll be unfair, but hey, that's by design. If you want a fair fight, change the weaponry or something, but don't try to tell people they can't bring their characters in. If your character doesnt' think she can beat other people's Nekovalkyrja, then she should forfeit or something.

This is what I mean, by stating that Nekos are integral for the battle area.

That's the Joke for this idea. Nothing is intergal. Nekos have an unfair advantage against every race in the sart, mainly because you kept it as such Wes. They literally have little or no weaknesses, aside from extremly out of the way means of death. Most of them can still fully fuction with half of their body missing.

And it's not just fighting humans that they're showing their edge. Nomatter what they face, they're going in with advanced regenration, Psionic abilties and defenses, alternate weapons with HS ports, atlest three different forms of sight, the ability to generate their own localized gravity field, thus rendering most long range sold ammuniton useless, aswell as giving them the ability to fly. Some don't even have solid mass, being made of Hemosynthetic goo.

Against that NOTHING short of a Better Neko will win.

Maybe if you roleplayed some, you'd see that Nekovalkyrja do get killed on a regular basis. Not just by starship weapons, but by things like smallarms, fires, asphyxiation, etc.

Small arms? You mean the small arms that Mishhu use? And fires and asphyxiation are round about. I honestly doubt people would want to watch people burned to death or starved of air in an area.

And don't give me the "roleplay some" bull. The only Roleplaying I've done here was under Drew before he left.

No, the small arms the Star Army uses, which use scalar pulse, which is particularly deadly to, well, everything. Why not try and figure out how to keep Nekos in this instead of pushing them out?

Well, giving them their own fighting class, where they could square off with their own kind is the best I can reccomende (even if it's actually your idea Doshii)

As I said before, I have no problems with the NH-29, since they're more or less just better yamatians.

Mmmk, its time for some quarrel settling fun.

The opening match of the arena, I hereby propose: A Lorath warrior female NPC controled by myself Vs. An NH-17 or 22M, any volenteers to play the neko?

Standing rules proposed: No gravity manipulation, melee weapons permitted, ranged weapon ban, energy manipulation ban, nodal manipulation ban, magic ban, psionics ban.

Match type: Melee, to the death - Non-cannon, thus no bearing on Lorath reputation in the empire.

Intended NPC to be used: https://stararmy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=45329#45329

Gravity manipulation is one of the main traits of the nekovalkyrja. If you don't want a neko to fight like one, why not just plain ask a Yamataian vs. Lorath match?

Unless both parties share the same traits, or similar abilities, one can be considered off balance.

A Lorath warrior and a Neko are both powerful, fast and durable. A Neko however is able to use gravity fields to manipulate movement and as a crude defensive screen.

The Lorath are honorable and believe in an even fight. Which was why they were so pissed at The Klonetori and her poor sportsmanship when she was clearly thrown out of bounds, but haulted her freefall and floated back into the ring when she fought Feather on Lor.

Kotori said:
Gravity manipulation is one of the main traits of the Nekovalkyrja. If you don't want a neko to fight like one, why not just plain ask a Yamataian vs. Lorath match?

Yamataians are also able to manipulate gravity, thus they'd be able to skim around and be annoying.

Cora said:
The Lorath are honorable and believe in an even fight. Which was why they were so pissed at The Klonetori and her poor sportsmanship when she was clearly thrown out of bounds, but haulted her freefall and floated back into the ring when she fought Feather on Lor.

Comparing your experiences at fighting a NH-18 to a playable neko is completely wrong. The fight was certainly not fair. Feather had no chance of winning at all in the first place: the NH-18 could have torn her head off in the span of time it took Feather to blink her eyes. You mention freefall, but it never came to that. The NH-18 halted the motion almost the moment she left Feather's arms. She was playing with the Lorath warrior instead of outright killing her.

If it's any comfort, for all the hooting DocTomoe made about getting a Kotori vs. NH-18 Kotori fight... my NH-29 Kotori didn't stand any better chances of winning either.

If you limit a battle to melee weapons, even a neko with gravity manipulation needs to get into range. The neko lacks reach and weight, so, gravity control allows her to compensate in those areas. It's true that the gravity manipulation makes the nekovalkyrja more mobile and capable of averting things that a human normally wouldn't in regard to inertia; but that's how they are and a large part of how they fight.

Don't ask about fighting a neko or a yamataian if you consider their fighting method unfair. In the first place, you should just pick an opponent more suited for your style of combat in the first place... like someone of ID-SOL lineage, a Kodian or something of the like.

Really, blinking her eyes?
A Neko can move faster then the synapse signals in the brain?

Sure...

Know what? Screw Nate's NPC, since CF is non-canon. I'll take the first fight. And I'll use Fate. And it'll be a Clean 1-1 fight, with a 27, so Fred, if you ever wanted Kotori to feel like a Samurai again, I respectfully challange you. The neko can have all it's bells and whistles, save four things.

1) No HS tentacles. Since a Samurai's so skilled in weapons, it doesn't need it's retractable third leg.
2) No Psionics. Fate's a fighter, not a Telepath.
3) Limited Gravity control. Flight, well to get it right, aquard flight, is fully allowable, as is the enhanced moving speed (what marginal gain you get for shifting her gravity related weight will give). But no gravitic fields ment to slow or speed up weapons or for deflection.
4) Close Quarters Melee only. As befits swordsmen.

EDIT: Oh, and to be fair, I don't consider Neko's totally unfair. I just consider them unbalanced for decent dueling. They have too many advantages to out weigh any disadvantage (if any) they might have. That's all. They may have been ment for war, but when it comes to am enjoyable fight... They just fall short.

Hell if it's non-cannon I could toss up Jo lol. It might be a little fun heh. Midori isn't one given to Sora Mai either, and doesn't really use her tenticles all that often now.

Cora said:
Really, blinking her eyes?
A Neko can move faster then the synapse signals in the brain?

Sure...

No, not nekos universally. Not the NH-18 either. Just before Feather could react. *shrugs*

1) No HS tentacles. Since a Samurai's so skilled in weapons, it doesn't need it's retractable third leg.
2) No Psionics. Fate's a fighter, not a Telepath.
3) Limited Gravity control. Flight, well to get it right, aquard flight, is fully allowable, as is the enhanced moving speed (what marginal gain you get for shifting her gravity related weight will give). But no gravitic fields ment to slow or speed up weapons or for deflection.
4) Close Quarters Melee only. As befits swordsmen.

1) Kotori never had HS tentacles. Not something I'd miss.
2) Kotori hasn't had offensive psionic attack capabilities since she switched to her NH-29S body. No problem there.
3) Awkward flight does not allow for Sky Dancing, Kotori's learned combat style. Either be clear on permiting Kotori's anti-gravity control or not.
4) Kotori's much better with knives than swords, actually. ^_^;

Kotori was never a samurai - she never wanted to be honorable, though she fancies herself to be noble-hearted. What Kotori is... is a Star Army soldier whom is above average using melee weapons and power armors. A soldier that has only 2 years of life experience behind her and a NH-29S body, which depends on power armor to do most of the fighting instead of the inbuilt capabilities NH-17R/NH-22M and NH-27 have.

Fate is a veritable tank. She trained all her longer life at being the pinnacle of the lorath's fighting caste. She's tough, she's strong (even if I never bought that 'fight against thousands at the same time') and she's well trained.

This is not a clean fight. If that's how you want it to be, I'll freely admit I think Kotori will end up the same as how she ended up like when Miles Gunn fought her with she not using her anti-gravity: very beaten.

If what makes you happy is an opportunity to fight Kotori and slaughter her, I'll grant it to you. Just don't get it in your head that it's fair (after all, even I know using a NH-18 on Feather wasn't fair either - but then, it wasn't meant to be).

JoMidori said:
Hell if it's non-cannon I could toss up Jo lol. It might be a little fun heh. Midori isn't one given to Sora Mai either, and doesn't really use her tenticles all that often now.

Jo shouldn't even have tentacles.

This is probably a better match up, actually. I approve of it.

I'm fully open for negotiations on making the fight as even as possible. I don't like having advantages, and I dislike fight with disadvantages, though they allow for mre attempts at improving my skills.

And, yeah... I kinda feel what I posted before was pushing the line too. ~_~ I wan't really thinking from a serious roleplaying stand point back when I did that JP. Just something for background filler. (Besides, it was a few hundred anyway, but that's a trivial point. the number was still stupid)

On top, I rarely have Fate in her armor anymore. Her suit's more an intimidation factor then an actual servicable suit of war armor. It's too big, heavy and sluggish for a swordswoman like Fate.

But anyway, I'm rambling. If you're actually interested in the fight, let's discuss terms and rules.

EDIT: Jo? You'd bow out for Jo?

Cora said:
EDIT: Jo? You'd bow out for Jo?

Sure. Kotori's a good fighter, but she's not the best nekos have to offer. She's no Irim. Yet.

I don't really like the Lorath due to them being eternally arrogant to the point of apparent stupidity... but I never said I didn't think they weren't good fighters (especially on the ground: you just still can't compare to Mishhu and NH-18/28 - those are just too strong... even for playable neko types!). I really do think even if Kotori had access to her best hand-to-hand skills with blades of equal reliableness to fate that Fate would still win.

Read again: Kotori is no match for Fate in even combat.

At least Jo is stronger... and she was the original pick for the first Lor vs. Yamatai duel. Have at it - Jo won't keel over right away. Kotori probably will.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back