• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

[OOC] The Colosseum

It says a lot about the devaluation of life for a government to glorify public killing.

Sure, some people would enjoy it, but what does it say about them? And what about the people who think a colosseum is an atrocity? If this is meant as a signal of the social change of Yamatai, then that's absolutely awesome.

A sports event without killing would probably be a bit more even-toned.

My explaination of why this would go over well in an IC sense is the fact that The value of life on Yamatai is not very high. There is nothing sacred on Yamatai due to their ideals that there is no God and no such thing as a spirit. Thus, a termination of a life is a simple material loss.

Additionaly, a combat arena would be a good thing. It could serve for several uses; a proving ground for new weapon designs, tactic testing, combat medic training, war games, and a neko population reduction program.

Many Nekos would be Shintoist or Buddhist though. Those religions should survive in some form in the SA universe.

I'd have thought, as killing machines, part of that training would be:

"Yes, it may give you bad karma but ... new religious adition set by Yui Lama, killing now gives good karma if it for the Star Army!"

Well, to irresponsibly draw an analogy between the Eastern concept of karma and Western Kantian philosophy, an action's consequences in any one case is independent from its ethical implications. Embezzling a penny from a rich corporation is still morally wrong even if they'll never miss the money. On the other hand, telling the truth is the right thing to do even if it may hurt someone's feelings.

A Kantian could argue that executing a murderer who had full mental capacities and acted in cold blood is just, because the murderer knew that killing was wrong but did it anyway, and therefore decided that the moral rule did not apply to him. So how could it be wrong to kill him? The moral rule did not apply to him by his own decision.

And a Buddhist might argue that killing the man would not bring bad karma if the alternative were letting him go free, since karma is gonna off the guy anyway. Why not stop him before he kills again? (Keep in mind that it was the alternative before the gradual establishment of the modern prison system. The most common punishment in medieval times was physical.)

So why would a Neko soldier have scruples about killing an enemy of the Empire? Better to kill him before he kills her friends. The enemy made certain decisions that led up to him participating in a battle on the wrong side, so there's no bad karma there.

Anyway, for some reason, wars were still fought in China and Japan after the introduction of Buddhism. Go figure.

Incidentally, a Kantian would have no problems against letting people volunteer for duels to the death. Those things remained popular long after Enlightenment, and still occasionally occur today. Again, go figure.

The whole "Love thy neighbour" and "Thou shalt not kill", didn't really slow down Christianity.

And even when it did we then suddenly decided non-Christians, or in other cases just people who where a different ethnicity (actually the ethnicity of Christ) didn't matter. Yeah, I'm talking about the crusades.

The arena is open...all it needs is some characters with guts.

I'd send Lorath warriors, but well... I'm not sure if this colosseum applies to off world branches too. B)

If the colosseum is only on Yamatai, then it will have to wait a little while to see some Lorath action, due to IC FTL issues.

This sub-fourm's still a ways from being properly opened.

There need to be proper dueling guidelines and rules written up before hand. I personally don't feel like accepting a duel, then fight someone who uses one sentence, twinkie posts.

Just one thing.

Anyway, for some reason, wars were still fought in China and Japan after the introduction of Buddhism. Go figure.
You may note that India where the philosophies largely originated has NOT gone on many notable conquering sprees. They just sort of sat there and got conquered by people.

If you want to argue that it isnt bad karma to kill in war, you are arguing that war is philosophically the right choice - which, I suppose, works in Shinto, but Shinto is crazy anyway. It doesnt work in Buddhism, Taoism, Krsna...

Now, Neko are surely instilled with the belief that it is right and just to kill in the name of the empire all enemies of the empire or all people the empire arbitrarily declares to be its enemies, provokes wars with (*coughelysiacough*), et cetera.

However your argument on the philosophical rightness behind it is inherently flawed.

Flawed is a good way of putting it. Though the whole idea is fairly laughable to begin with, and the lip service given to just meta-push it wasn't terrible convincing or well founded. I'm not the only one who thinks so either, clearly.

I do agree that the idea is pretty laughable, but one point was made - it could well show a downward spiral in morality in the empire very well. That I can agree with.

Under Pressure said:
I do agree that the idea is pretty laughable, but one point was made - it could well show a downward spiral in morality in the empire very well. That I can agree with.

Seeing how the empire can mass produce their soldiers, and their citizens, I'm totaly suprised they have any real value of life at all. Anyone can be repalced or recovered.

Seeing how the empire can mass produce their soldiers, and their citizens, I'm totaly suprised they have any real value of life at all. Anyone can be repalced or recovered.
^ The only pro argument which has held much weight, really.

The philosophical ones are twisting concepts so brutally and shamelessly to make a nonexistant point that I actually felt compelled to take part in this thread that I've done my best to ignore.

Let us get to the point... We shall now enter a time of shameless bloodletting that will go down in Yamatai history as "The Useu and Yui Years.". They will then be known by future generations as their equivalent to Nero.

Now... I want to see some Neko on Neko pro wrestling! I additionaly demand that Yui herself opens it up in a 1v1 match against a NH-28 NIWS.

Gotta love mass production and replacement of populace.

<Tech1> *Sits around, pusing a button* *BAM* *Makes a Cora* *Bam Cora* *BAM Cora*
<Tech2> "You realise thats not the best idea, yeah?"
<Tech1> "Probably, but its darn fun."

Now... I want to see some Neko on Neko pro wrestling!

Pro Wrestling is good and all, but personally I want Mud Wrestling, with the optional 'Mud Wrestling to the death'

When it comes to the philosophical things, to each their own. Aside from what folks have mentioned before about non-lethal combat, Just because one allows possible fights to the death doesn't neccesarily mean that the ammount of fighting with go unchecked. Like with just about everything, moderation would be the key in keeping it from turning into a neverending bloodbath. Not that I find problems with bathing in the blood of my fallen enemies, but Its just one of those things not everyone is into.

Well, from what's known.

Yamatai has no true economical infrastructure. Nor, does it have any religous centers or religons for that matter. It also doesn't have enough sense of unity that parts can sucede and make their own empires, so long they make sure they appese the YSA. The empire also has no real value on a single beings life, since they can die, and be brought back, via ST or cloning, or out right ignored it they aren't an officer or a member of one of the "ruling Families."

So really, for an empire that has absloutely no real quality control, aside from making sure every living thing in existance bows to the same damn flag, I don't really see where some blood sport will do harm. Hell, it'll give the people atlest something to watch and talk about.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back