Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[OOC] The Colosseum

Sport involving physical harm is not exactly a sign of moral decay, historically there have been public events involving combative situations for most of known history.

The Greeks did it, the Romans did it, the medieval Europeans did it, and even today Americans take part in such through boxing and "ultimate fighting".

Additionally, the arena would serve useful as a forum for settling brewing conflicts, or preventing hostilities between groups by settling affairs in a public setting where both sides would be assured the results of the duel would be well known.

The Greeks did have a form of no-holds-barred wrestling where anything other than biting and gourging was allowed, but it was quite different, since the purpose was the sport, and the worship of the Gods, not to entertain the masses.

Who else sees "Trial by Combat" as being a new legal term in Yamatai?

Jadg Wolf said:
I was also thinking that I'm not sure if many people around here know how to fight well, but that's possibly just me being an arrogant elitist.

It could be you Jadg.

*shrug* if people want to learn how to role fight, I can teach them.

That, I know all to well Osu.
He's not the only one.

Though I am serious, I can teach people how to role fight, I've done it several times before. All that needs to be done before that is Wes needs to make a set of rules for the Colosseum.

Only several? (joke) Don't forget, Wolf lived in Ayenee.

Frankly I think fighting in an arena would be a foolish way to settle things.

Perhaps some form of stun weaponry or weakened weapons could be used?

Dull swords down, put some kind of stunning current through the blade, hit the enemy right and disable their limb without actually taking it off.

With ranged weaponry... weakened energy weapons rigged up to have the handling of others maybe? rather than shooting through someone, just leaving some burns.

Or if all else fails, give them previously mentioned psuedo-weaponry and put armored suits on them rigged to count how many blows went where. Perhaps with a disqualification if you get hit somewhere vital and otherwise have people win based on how many 'points' they tallied up. In that system you'd be able to fight it out, without worrying about death. You could still turn back and around and in special occasions have the real deal death matches, like honorable duels or whatever.

Granted it would turn the arena less into gladiator stuff and more into a seeming 'training' type scenario... but it would help with any problems with good ol‘ fashioned megaviolence.

Personally I like arena's as long as they are handled well and the people who are competing with one another do so with maturity. I tend to avoid the fights myself but other people I know find it enjoyable so I don't mind such things.(Maybe my love for watching the games stems from seeing one of my GF's characters use her severed leg as a club in one, who knows?)

Bah, honor in battle isn't won with sticks or slings.

It's won with blades an arrows.

If the combatants both agree, I say blood and death matches can be used.

I think that the blood and death matchs could be fun, but using the duled blades with a stunning capicaty could be intresting and useful for settling grudges that people have, but don't nessarcarily want to die for, or real life training bouts for star army trainees.

I only have two letter and number combinations to add to this threaad:

T1 and T2

If anyone knows what metawerx or ayenee is, you know what these are, as well as the prepare, attack, counter/dodge, hit, counter hit scenario is.

*releases such a huge amount of chi/chakra/ren combined that nobody can help but be consumed in the blazing ball of plasma that is his wrath*
I would like to suggest, instead, a sort of 'battle tower' as in Hunter X Hunter where new players are assigned to floor 1 with a small participation prize, then earn their way up to higher floors by spectacular battles with other people. Martial arts and other potentially nonlethal activities/gadgets would be encouraged, and some sort of psychological, physiological, and/or physically-sound equivalent of psionics/chakra/powers can develop as a result.

People on higher floors would be assigned living quarters, and nearing the top, high-ranking positions in the army would be offered.

Again, just a suggestion. Feel free to take any part of it and twiddle it to your liking.

Also, some sort of RPG-esque battle system could be implemented. That'd be kind of sweet.

I think it would be more feasable (considering the uber riches of Yamatai) to construct several structures for the activities. then everyone can have their fun.

tower, shooting range, blood sport arena, athletics arena, foot and vehicle race track, and classic coloseum. B) Maybe some more that I may have missed.

I quite like Kimura's idea, although it does remind me of a particular Bruce Lee film, with the huge black guy at the end, he is like seven foot tall, or is it just that Bruce Lee is exceptionally small, hehe.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back