• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Phods: Fluffpigs into the Future

Executive Summary of Phod Discussion:
No summary is truly all-inclusive of the experience, but the hope is that these notes add to the chat log posted by Soban above. Please reach out if you have questions!

Current Status of the Phods:
1 player character (Wes’ Julix)
A few NPCs, sparsely used. Chefs mostly.
No RP on Ohara, or on Fort Ohara. No Senator since Yangfan’s day. No major political or military involvement in a very long time.
Wiki articles are good, but could use updating.
No updates made to their history in the 20 or so years since they joined the Empire.
We discussed Yangfan’s original intent with the species.

We discussed the reasons why Phods don’t seem terribly popular:
Absence of an OOC manager for the species.
Not very ‘cool’, sexy, or intimidating. Not very serious.
Might be awkward to use them because their creator is gone.
They’re short (but not really THAT short).
The pig nose may not be to everyone’s aesthetic.
The Cold War status and real-world parallels may not be interesting.
Ohara’s got rules banning foreign technology and offworlders.

We discussed the WIP articles and the major changes.
The updates to the History since First Contact.
Some changes to the technology bans.
Population update
The goal was just to bring them 'up to speed', not necessarily to make major alterations.

Solutions! How do we help players access Phods and encourage their use?
Recruit an OOC manager who can ‘push’ or proselytize the species.
Eliminate the ‘quarantine’, allow non-Phods on Ohara, end the Technology blockade.
Consider making some Phod colonies. Maybe get them a colony for each economic philosophy?
Or one faction stays on Ohara, and another leaves to form a new colony.
Update the Phods to change the pig nose, or make a bat nose an alternate appearance for the same species.
A PR campaign to drive up interest in the Phods?
An Open RP that’s Phod specific?
Get the Phods out there in the Universe somehow. Colonies, ship missions, etc.
Phods should get represented at the upcoming International Relations Conference.

Extensive discussion of the International Relations Conference followed.

And that's it! Please reach out if you have questions. One of the next steps involves finalizing the WIP updates.

The WIPs were excellent so I approved them right away. I hope we can see more updates in the future based on the RPs we do that involve Phods in them.

Yeah, and I agree with Raz that it was indeed a good talk. This was one of the best meetings SARP ever had in terms of it being in an organized format, people sharing their ideas, and staying on task. I didn't go in expecting something so professionally run. I was very impressed. Thank you, Hollander.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back