Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: SRSS Yggdrasill Picking up new crew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of relaxing, lyshana's feathers, while well groomed as befitted an Elysians's wings, were ruffled. She looked tense, like she hadn't been getting enough sleep, and like she was perpetually worked up. She clearly was not relaxing enough. "You can start now" Lyshana said "You have full discretion to find people who need relaxation and relax them. Now I need to design Nolani a more efficent, possibly partly organic wetsuit... Would you like that nolani? A wet suit that held water and purified it into the form you wanted it in, so you could even breathe it while standing on dry land?"

Agrael smiled coyly, walking over to the big-winged, little angel. "Hm... you poor dear... looks like you haven't groomed in years!" She playfully patted Lyshana's wings before beginning to groom them steadily. The elder Elysian felt a tinge of jealousy arouse in her.. among other things.

Mel has the breasts... Lyshana here has the wings... What do I have? Agrael thought to herself keenly. After a moment, she paused and looked down behind her. A bemused, vixen smile crossed her lips as her fingers continued their grooming. Ahhh, yes... the ass.

Noelani watched the two winged women going at it, trying to get a feel for the various personalities at play around her. Toshiro - well meaning, but a little dense bossman. Lyshana - overachieving bio-scientist. And now this Agrael - the ship's resident sexpot, obviously, and apparently a mom on top of it! Though she looked between the two again, sensing the tension between rivals who apparently had some kind of class difference. It wasn't entirely unlike her planet, with the deep citystate dwellers put down all the time by those near the surface. Toshiro's desire for equality was really refreshing to hear, and she smiled as a result. Among the athletes that risked the storms for a thrill, it didn't matter where you came from - only how well you glided when the sail hit the wind.

As Lyshana spoke directly of more fun toys for her watery friend, the Azorean put a hand on her hip and giggled slightly in excitement, glad at the change of tone. "Wow, you're just full of ideas, Lyshana. A new wetsuit sounds totally boss." Turning to regard the winged woman spoken of as a courtesan, she gave a wave of her hands, the webbing between the fingers having conveniently retracted now that she was out of the water. Nifty, that. "A nice bit of relaxing isn't so bad either, though. I haven't had a good massage in ages, and I can't say I've had one from a child of Areeka... well, ever. Being the new jack on the interstellar beach, there's a boatload of things that are new to me. Agrael, was it?"

As Agrael pecked (with her fingers... peeervs..) out a few morsels of... whatever.. out of Lyshana's wings, the blue.. thing? talked to her. "Hm?" She blinked a few times at hearing that this one wanted a massage, too. "Ooh, okay! Yes, it is Agrael, but uh... sorry, I never caught your name," she said politely, "I will definitely make some time to explore your body... with my hands, of course." Her smile brightened just before getting back to carefully petting and grooming such over-sized wings.

Ooh yeah, she definitely lays it on thick. thought the damp hitchhiker to herself as she returned the smile a little sheepishly, realizing a bit late that she had to do that whole alien-introduction routine again. "I'm Noelani, an Azorean. Bet you never seen one of us aquatic world dwellers before, hmm?" She then thumbed a blue finger towards the current object of Agrael's preening. "Now 'shana here, on the other hand, seems to already be my biggest fan."

Lyshana blushed a touch "Are my wings truly that ungroomed? I do my best with my own two hands, and my... assistants that I bred, but they're large." She says "And there's a lot of biological nutrient fluids around that stain them or much them up when I'm not careful" She said, spreading her wings for the other woman, a touch vainly. Clearly her wings were her pride. "Biggest fan eh? Well, you're the most adventurous person here, and I need adventurous people to test my creations on"

Agrael nodded with a mock frown, "Yes, yes, you should take better care of them.." She licked her thumb to rub off some grit or grime that became visible once the wings were spread. Who knows how long that had been there! "Not only for looks... but also for good hygiene. I may not know much about medicine, but I am clearly aware that infections in the wings are never fun..." the taller Elysian continued, patting the wings some, "That's all I can do for now without dragging you to the showers." A faint smile hinted in her eyes as she said this, however.

Now, to pay attention to... Noelani, was it? Agrael turned to look the Azorean up and down for the first time with the intent of detail. "Aquatic, huh? I've only seen an ocean world once in my entire career, and it was uninhabited. Nor, have I heard of an Azorean race." The former commander was pondering out loud, "Adventurous is nice, though. I think that you'll thoroughly enjoy your massage then." The smiles hidden in her eyes before was now revealed on her lips.

"Adventurous? You bet! I intend to help our planet make a big splash in the universe. There's some bright minds lurking within the stormy seas of our homeworld just waiting to get a chance to surf the star ocean. I just got a sliiiiiight head start by hitching a ride on the Yggdrasil's wake." The blue sea dweller didn't seem ashamed for stowing away, in fact she was proud of it.

"In fact," added Noelani, as she turned to the male in attendance. "Captain Toshiro, you mentioned you wanted me to help with the retrofit. But is there anything else I could do to earn my keep? If you've got some scrap laying around I bet I could create some robotic Rill servitors to automate a lot of the basic maintenance tasks on the Yggdrasil. It'd just take a quick crash course on how the ship operates, and a little experimentation to get the AIs programmed right. Could be a great warm up for the bigger projects, wouldn't you say, o big kahuna?"

((Eh. I'll try.))

Suzune had been looking through the ship for a while, and eventually made her way out to where all the fuss was, having noticed the people in the hallways. With a sidle and a slide against the wall, she poked out her head, teal locks flipping into the open doorway.

"Hello?~ I saw all these people walking around, and... Oh, you must be the captain! And more crew!"

The more crew comment was directed at Agrael and Neolani, being a bit ignorant about the fact that Neolani was actually a stowaway.

Yggdrasill was pretty quiet for a time, watching Mel, before speaking.

"...In spite of the concept that caring for offspring is a great deal of work, you seem to enjoy it...why is that, Doctor?"

Toshiro smiled, nodding to Suzune.

"Yes...I'm Commodore Yuki Toshiro of the Yggdrasill Salvage Fleet, and this is my crew...many are new, like yourself. As for the various cultures, you should get used to it."

He then turned to the Azorean woman.

"Well, first, that wetsuit needs to be made. Salvaged materials have sharp edges, which could be DEADLY to you without adequate protection. Or perhaps we can train you to wear a Power Armor, which is a space-worthy exoskeleton with armor and devices, even containing its internal atmosphere.

As for the systems and AI...both of those are complicated. Lyshana here has enhanced Yggdrasill's hardware with biological constructs, and the AI is VERY complicated...few outside the ship know this, but the Yggdrasill actually has attained sentience...its AI was modified by an alien entity which is still very mysterious...she is much like a curious child, and is probably still watching Agrael's newborns...it'll take some learning before you understand all of those systems."

He then turned to Lyshana.

"As for Yamataians' and Nekos' inevitable Evolutionary ailing, they can alter their genome as needed. Also, they live on many worlds, and no natural disaster can really harm all of them."

Mel continued to fawn over the sleeping babies, keeping an eye on them and smiled wistfully. When The Ygg asked the question she blinked a bit and thought it over, considering how to explain it to the child-like AI. "Well..." she aid, thinking it out still. "Well it's because children are the next generation and they're valuable in a way that can't be defined by money or anything else." She said, smiling as she watched the babies sleep, her wings flapping slowly to generate a little breeze for them that seemed to make the little ones more comfortable.

"And it's because I want to be a mom myself." Mel blushed but smiled. "It's... a female's biological perogitive in a way. Our bodys are made to carry new life inside of it and protect it at any cost." she said.

"You don't understand, no matter what level a race grows to, it is still compeating, and it must still defend it's self. In a world of limited ideas, limited thoughts, limited forms, something... totaly unpredicted can have near catastrophic results..." She sighs "Dirt in my wings? Hrm... yes, I think I would like you to assist me in the shower..."

Toshiro

Noelani literally gaped. "Space armors... sentient AI... biological enhancements... alien spirits poking around..." She then put a hand behind her head and started laughing at the immenseness of everything she didn't quite understand yet. It was all so foreign and all so wonderful. "This place is excellent! Maybe a better question is what you don't have aboard?"

Calming down a bit, she smirked with youthful enthusiasm. "I guess you're right about needing more protection than just my maintenance jumpsuit. It's made for working on carbon tubing windsail ships - not going to hold up too hot dealing with such mondo chunks of space flotsam as you probably find. This power armor thing sounds fun... and a custom internal atmosphere is pretty keen. They probably fly pretty well..." There was a hint of mischief and danger in her white & lavender eyes as she thought about it.

"As for the AIs, I really don't have the first clue about such a complex system that could function on that level! I just deal with the autonomous modules in individual Rills, which contain basic logic controllers for daily tasks, mostly on just simple repetitive things. Fixing a battery, moving a pallet of materials, and even guarding an area. They don't think for themselves... they are just strings of code. The way you make the systems aboard here sound, comparing the two is like placing a bunch of minnows alongside a whale."

AgraelLyshana

Toshiro did also mentioned twins, and she gazed at Agrael again. "So you're a mommy? I wonder if the babies look like little birdies?" The blue skinned mermaid seemed a bit perplexed. "And just two little ones? Well, maybe it works differently for other races. We Azoreans typically have almost a dozen spawnlings at once..."

Lyshana's musings did not fall on deaf ears, even if hers were a little less sensitive out of the water. "Of course, breeding quickly and having no natural predators on Sudran is the reason we've got to go find our stake in the cosmos! It's getting majorly overcrowded on all the nice real estate these days... and it's only going to get worse if we don't find a new water planet to chill out on soon."

Suzune

As the new visitor rounded the corner, Noelani waved once with a casual air. "Ooh, another new face. What's shakin', beach bunny?"

"...I...may understand...I always have life within me, which it is my responsibility to defend. The concept of birth is still a difficult one, however."

Yggdrasill responded.

"I have only experienced birth as the child, not the mother."

Toshiro nodded.

"Well, the Yggdrasill originally was a code-driven system, as are most ships. Yggdrasill is an anamoly in many ways. The cultural influence of so many cultures and so many types of technology has left a physical mark on the ship and crew. Though we're a civilian vessel, we have some exotic attributes that even military vessels lack.

It is possible to connect non-sentient systems to Yggdrasill for her to control...and the Power Armor is MEANT to fly. There are some here which are transatmospheric, even. We have many types. Nepleslian, Yamataian, our custom models...and I think Mel even brought her own Elysian model.

And I guess that's possible, Lyshana...we'll just have to see."

Agrael suddenly burst out into laughter. "Birdies? Nooo... They look more like little cherubs... if you don't know what those are.. Hm... like miniature versions of my people with very tiny wings. It's sooo cute! You just have to come see then soon." Realization hit her like a ton of bricks. "OH! I probably should relieve Mel-dear from mommy-duty!" A light blush formed over her cheeks at her own forgetfulness, but she smiled anyways, "Would you like to come along, Noel-dear?"

Suzune smiled lightly at Toshiro's words, though it seemed a bit of a generic greeting. It was okay, they didn't know each other. But this other... uhh... what was she exactly? Uh. Oh, and another Elysian too. Buuuut. Suzune turned to Noelani, hearing about something called Rill and lines of code and AI. Was... was this fish-girl a programmer? She had to intervene!

"Beach... wha... Erm. But you were saying something about coding? If these Rills are robots, I think I could help you work with the kinds of technology around here! I mean, if I can work with revived Syntelligence bodies then I'm sure I can adapt the code. Maybe even link it to the Yggdrasil's AI!"

The phrase 'giddy as a schoolgirl' began to seem apt to Suzune's mood. She was very happy to not just have a fellow engineer to talk to, but a fellow robotics engineer to talk with!

Noelani nodded briefly to the Elysian patriarch. "Sure, I'd love to join you and meet this Mel person. Sounds a lot like one of the nurses I remember as a young little tadpole. But it looks like I've still got a few breakers to hit up with the big guy... gimme a min, will you?"

Then she turned back to the engineer who apparently was going ga-ga over their previous conversation, running a hand through her algae-like turquoise colored hair and looking quite happy to meet another enthusiast. "You sound like you get pretty stoked about technology... now that's a daughter of Veminas I can appreciate! 'Course the kind of robotics we have back on Azorea are probably pretty weak and clumsy compared to the stuff you are capable of with all the brainaics aboard... synthetic or not! But if nothing else they are solid and reliable... us Azoreans would be positively beached without them to take our place in dangerous jobs and menial labor." She paused then extended a moist and thin fingered hand. "I'm Noelani, by the way. What's your name, honey? And er... what's this 'Syntelligence' you mentioned?"

"Hmm maybe you should download yourself into a biological form and try it out?" Mel giggled a bit, blushing somewhat. "experience is the best way to learn something." She said and turned her attention to the female child that was starting to roll around and began to get fussy. "Aww what's wrong sweetie?" she asked gently and lifted the infant up.

Apparently she'd had a bad dream or something and was now fussy. Mel would cradle the infant in her arms and sat down in a nearby chair, keeping Gabbie swathed in a soft pink little blankie. She would start to rock the little cherub and began to sing a lullaby to her, this would come as a surprise as the soothing song began to sound out.

Mel had a very good voice for singing and produced the effect that anyone who heard it would start to feel good and relax.

Toshiro turned to the Yamataian girl, smiling.

"Sorry about that...this girl is an Azorean, who stowed away on our ship during our First Contact with their race. The Yggdrasill was one of the vessels present at the time. She wanted to join the crew, so we let her.

Now...about you, what kind of experience do you have? I gather you worked on a civilian ship before, and ovbiously have robotics skills."

Yggdrasill processed this for a moment.

"I am merely a child myself. It will have to wait for me to get more experience living. Until then, I suppose I could 'parent' the biological Bloater systems."

Mel looked around at the moment, still singing her soothing song to the baby, that seemed to like it. "Well I suppose you could." She said, breaking it for a moment before continuing to sing. She wanted for a moment if Yggdra was listening to her as well and if so, how'd it make the AI feel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back