• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

RP (non-canon): D&D Post Mission 1: Changing of the Guard

"As long as you still require my help, I'll be there to give it," Eberk grunted.

"As will I," said the Empress. "In return for your help I can assure you that you will be given all of the information at our disposal that will help you in your quest. Now, if there is nothing else, I believe you should be on your way. Eberk, the diplomatic letters will be in the usual spot."

"Very well then," Ghira simply concluded the conversation with, taking long strides out back the way they came. That is, unless they received a guide out. In that case, he would follow said guide.

The group exited the palace the way that they came in, stopping to let the guard that they had met earlier to remove the ring from Talarin. When they exited the small building across from the palace Eberk reached into the mailbox that was attached next to the door and pulled out leather case. Opening it, he found the diplomatic letters inside.

"Well, it seems we got everything that we be needing, excepting for the extra muscle. Let's go see if that cleric knew what he be talking about."

"Indeed. Tell me, just what sort of help did you have in mind? We definitely need a healer of some sort, but other than that, I'm not sure." Ghira asked. He looked to Talarin, then asked, "Any ideas?"

"Well some extra muscle always be helpful. And what better muscle that old muscle." Eberk chuckled at his joke as he continued to lead them through slums and back alleys of the lower level. Eventually they reached a run-down house. Eberk walked up to the door and knocked, only to have his hand bust through the door. "Damn, too strong for me own good." He pushed the door open and called out. "We're here."

In the corner sat a fairly familiar face, from somewhere else in the house footsteps could be heard approaching.

Aurelus stood up as the group came into the room. "'Ey there, lads... Did ye miss me?" He smiled and walked forward towards his old acquaintances , extending his hand to the mage first, and possibly secondly to the sorcerer behind him. "Sorry ta had kept ye waitin'. Long story short, me and the lass parted ways, and I got meself quite the loot. Got a nice horse now and some saddle bags! No more complainin from me bout food or walkin fer hours!" Aurelus laughed as he stepped back from the two, standing near the doorway's frame.

After the salutations, Aurelus would then cross his arms and look towards the approaching footsteps.

As they listened the footsteps started fading and becoming quieter, until eventually a small figure popped from nowhere. He looked somewhat like a normal kobold other than the fact that he was silver in color and had a pair of broad wings. He was garbed in a set of what looked like leather armor with overlapping scales sewn into it. He looked at the group from just over 2 feet off the floor and in a somewhat creepy voice said "heygh, who the hell are you people? For your personal stash of information I'm Gix."

"Aurelus. What a pleasant surprise," The Imaskari declared unceremoniously, maintaining that mask of detatchment he wore so often. "I hadn't expected to see you again, so forgive me if I sound a little confused. Were you hired by the Royalty as well?"

But his attention was soon pulled to another figure that entered the room. A kobold.
"Aurelus, it appears somebody let a lizard in the room. Whose is he?"

Talarin shook Aurelus's hand. "It's good to see you again. I'm glad we'll have someone that we already know to watch our backs." Joanna noticed the Kobold enter the room and nudged Talarin with her head. He turned and both eyebrows came up. A kobold? interesting. "Welcome to the team." he said a little formally but no less cheerfully.

Aurelus, although not surprised by the kobold that had shown up, was definitely not very happy about its presence. "Err... what royalty? I came here on me own. I was told you were headed here from Caloma, so I bought me a horse and rode here." The fighter would then greet Talarin, and upon having done that, turned to the kobold.

"He belongs ta th' idiots tha decided it'd be a good idea t' have fiendfolk joinin' up with the goodfolk. What little time we've spent tagether waitin's been silent... Can't understand how that cleric thinks its okay ta have a lizard-man hangin' 'bout..."

"Thanks for the welcomes you two, Aurelus, at least we small folk are here to help too. Better we help you than be ranked against you." Gix replied as his wings flared out behind him slightly.

Aurelus looked back at the kobold and frowned, narrowing his eyes. He made his index and middle fingers point at his own eyes, then he twisted them to motion at the kobold, gesturing that he'd keep his eyes on the little critter.

"So much love in the air," Eberk teased. "It almost be like me days with the pirates again. Everyone yelling at everyone, fist fights to wake ye up at dawn. Maybe I'll get to see another one o' them rare bloodbaths."

"Blood baths are good for the skin ya know." Gix said with a grin that showed the sharpness of his teeth. "However, fighting between team members is to be avoided since it tends to run the risk of something going wrong in the middle of a fight where everyone needs to look out for each other." He said with a smile.

Aurelus scoffed. "Aye, aye... so, what're we all gathered fer, anyways? I just heard the cleric was gonna be bringin some wizerd and his sorcerer companion an' I guessed it was you lot, but I was never told why'd ye be comin' over."

"Well, reptiles aside, we've got a duty to the Crown of this country to deliver a very important diplomatic message to the Masdonians. Apparently the group I had been hired to infiltrate previously is much more dangerous than they thought initially." Ghira explained bluntly, barely looking at the kobold. But then his attention did indeed stray to the creature, simply telling him, "And it's not you in particular. My people have an aversion to dragons, considering what has happened in recent years. Scales are enough to make us. . . remember."

"Cave dweller be right," Eberk added. "Apparently them wizards manufactured the entire war, weaken the nations up a bit to make 'em easy seafood."

The Imaskari nodded in agreement with the dwarf, continuing, "In other words, our mission is of the utmost importance. For this nation and its people, anyways. I get the feeling there's more to this little 'rebellion' that not even the Crown has anticipated. But that is beside the point. The point now is, are you willing to undertake this task?"

Aurelus frowned at the Imaskari's words. To them this was something that was going on and happening to people other than themselves... but to him, a previous soldier in said war, it was very, very relevant. His years had been wasted in it from the moment he reached his 16th birthday to only almost a year ago. He had killed men, he had seen friends die before him, all in the name of the crown. The family he had hoped to come back to after the war had been burnt to the ground, all because of the war.

Was he supposed to just accept it was all just a ploy? That he had just been a pawn in a chess board that were moved by different players other than the king himself?

But then, why would they lie? Why would this group have been put together if not to do something important?

The fighter simply stayed quiet, not mentioning anything. He seemed to be a bit too focused on things going on in his head, his frown only thickening as seconds passed by, eyes focused at some distant corner of the room.

"Well, whatever ye choose to do, I wish ye well. I promised to stay until ye found yerselves some replacement muscle, and it be appearing that your ol' buddy has returned. So, I best be off. If ye ever be needing me, ye know I be."

Without another word, Eberk turned and departed from the room.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back